#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:07 AM

I have decided to perform an experimental "Dry Pasteurize" Process for my Sub.  I have a bag of "mostly" colonized rye grain.  I bought one of those pre-made 3lb bags of rye grains from one of our own here on the Topia (see thread: "Super Proud of my Product").  My only complaint at this point, and it may bvery well be my fault, is that it appears to be too wet.  I injected a full syringe of LC.  The colonization is not as "white" as I would like it, it appears a bit tan, which may be due to the wet somewhat sludgy liquid at the bottom of the bag, yet it has no black or green indicators of contamination.

So I am going to get a brick of "Echo Earth" Coir and just place the brick in the oven at 150 degrees along side a tub of mostly dry cpoo. Then after several hours I will dump these two into an insulated (With mylar bubble wrap) 5 gallon bucket and pour boiling water on it and cover.

Then after cooling I shall mix most of the SUb with the spawn, case with a bit of leftover sub, and spray the top with Hydrogen peroxide.

We shall see what comes of this, if anything.

I welcome all suggestions and ideas.  My main thing here was to investigate the idea of "Dry Pasteurize"

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 07 October 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,704 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

The bricks of coir have already been pasteurized by the high heat that it requires while compressing into a brick. I have used coir straight out of the packs with great results. Plus pouring boiling water over you dry pasteurized poo, the temp will drop almost instantly in to the range of pasteurization. I think your idea could work but technically you will be still doing a wet pasteurization when you add the water.
  • riseabovethought, fungi2bwith, Cue and 2 others like this

#3 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,646 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

The bricks of coir have already been pasteurized by the high heat that it requires while compressing into a brick. I have used coir straight out of the packs with great results. 

Can you explain how you used the coir right outa the packs.  Inquiring minds... love simplicity like that!

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,704 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

Pretty much like described above but with out the oven. I've just dropped them in a bucket, then dumped hot water on them. I have boiled water and I have also just used the hottest water I could get from my tap. Then drain to desired moisture content and cool. I always cover with clean trash bags to prevent dust and crap while cooling.While that may work pretty well with coir alone and mileage may vary with different origins of coir. By no means does the same shortcut apply to any poo substrate. I still recommend that overnight pasteurization is optimal with all subs. Doing the dry oven pasteurize with the poo might just give it what it needs to a shorten the pasteurization with just adding the hot water like SPS is suggesting.

Edited by coorsmikey, 07 October 2016 - 05:21 PM.

• Heirloom Spores and SteampunkScientist like this

#5 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,646 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

Gotchya!  Thank you brother.  I like how you think!  

Speaking of coir, I love Jammer's Invitro Tek!  

https://mycotopia.ne...lk-invitro-bag/

Hey SS, I think this is perfect for you... or maybe its perfect for me...

Edited by riseabovethought, 07 October 2016 - 03:12 PM.

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

Thanks the replies everyone! I think I shall pasturize the poo then as Coors suggested.

#7 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:02 PM

Ok, poo pasturized. Put about a third of a bag of black cow (about 15 quarts I estimate) into a large stainless pot in the oven at 200 while taking heat measure of 150 degrees at the center. Took about three hours, then lowered the temp and kept it there for three more hours. It was still reading 150 when I dumped it into a trashbag inside a large plastic tub.

Now I drop a block of coir on top and pour almost two gallons of boiling water on the coir which is on the poo. Then with elbow length rubber gloves I mix the substrate. Then cover it in the tub and set it aside.

Tomorrow I will mix in the spawn and case it in the tub.

We shall see...

#8 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,896 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

Ok, poo pasturized. Put about a third of a bag of black cow (about 15 quarts I estimate) into a large stainless pot in the oven at 200 while taking heat measure of 150 degrees at the center. Took about three hours, then lowered the temp and kept it there for three more hours. It was still reading 150 when I dumped it into a trashbag inside a large plastic tub.

But, that also means that outer part of poo got to, or close to 200F.

#9 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:24 AM

Yeah probably. But when I dumped it in the bag, I mixed it (with the coir and boiling water). Most likely the average temperature was around 170 to 180, which is still within acceptable limits I believe.

#10 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

FINAL REPORT...

Once again my bulk failed.  This will mark the third failed attempt at producing a bulk substrate that works.  I started out using the bulk rye berries bags sold on another thread on this site ("So proud of my product" et-al).  I purchased 3 bags and inoculated them with a syringe of LC.  2 of the bags failed due to too much liquid I believe as the berries turned to mush and basically rotted.

The third bag completely colonized so I mixed up the dry pasteurize as above, however it turned green after about 5 weeks.  I buried it out in the woods hoping that perhaps some wild mushies will result next spring/summer.

Oh well, I learn from my failures just as much from my successes. 

The weird thing is that when I do PF cakes they seem to do well every time. So..... I will be starting a project (And a new thread) where I will be doing cakes, but using a a bed of coir instead of perlight as is usually done.

The reason is simple, after getting a couple of flushes from the cakes (presuming they work as before) I will then just cover the cakes with a layer of pasturized bulk substrate right in the tub, and let 'er go!

Hopefully it will turn into an amazing "super cake"...

:meditate:

#11 catattack

catattack

Mountain Gringo Hairball ™

• OG VIP
  • 5,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

Well we all know that you can grow cakes well, so why not just focus on PF cakes as the spawn? Not after they produce and are spent but before.

IMHO I think that you should grow the cakes, dunk them, shred and use as bulk inoculant:

https://mycotopia.ne...y-mofo-bag-tek/

One could decrease the chance of trich contamination using just coir:

https://mycotopia.ne...lk-invitro-bag/

Or try mine:

https://mycotopia.ne...bulk/?p=1281212

#12 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, but my reading says that ripping a cake up can really weaken the mycelium. And I need new sacraments so it's going to have to after I get a flush or two. And if I got ten good cakes in a tub, why bother ripping them up, just dump good substrate on them.

#13 catattack

catattack

Mountain Gringo Hairball ™

• OG VIP
  • 5,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, but my reading says that ripping a cake up can really weaken the mycelium. And I need new sacraments so it's going to have to after I get a flush or two. And if I got ten good cakes in a tub, why bother ripping them up, just dump good substrate on them.

More inoculation points, but I can understand needing desiring fruits. :biggrin:

#14 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Invitro Freak

• 8,822 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

I would make a batch of cakes to grow as cakes and another to use as spawn for a bulk.

Personally, I like to use glass quart jars to pasteurize my bulk mix.  I just load the jars into a large pot, fill it about 3/4 to the tops of the jars and heat it somewhere between 140-170 F for at least 3 hours.  This method has never failed me.  I like the quarts because your moisture content will not change during the pasteurization process, and it's very clean.  I use the solid plastic canning lids for this, also.  But you could just use solid metal lids (they just rust after a while).

The only downside is that you can only do smaller quantities of bulk this way.  But I usually grow a few bulk bags/tubs at a time

• Needles, catattack and SteampunkScientist like this

#15 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:22 AM

Thanks MLB. I have read many of your great posts on these techniques, and perhaps that may be my best bet for creating good bulk.

#16 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Invitro Freak

• 8,822 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:39 AM

Just trying to help, man.  If you have clean spawn and a well-pasteurized mix, those will go a long way in bringing you some success.  And cakes are certainly as good for spawn as any whole grain.

Best of luck.

#17 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:15 PM

Thanks MLB. By the way wish I could jam guitar with you. Perhaps one day. Just bought a sweet Ibanez 7 string in blue burl to compliment my black six string.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 03 December 2016 - 08:16 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#18 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Invitro Freak

• 8,822 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

Oh, man, I am pretty rusty, haven't played a lot or with other people in some time.  I have been itching to get back into it lately.  I can sing pretty well, play mostly rhythm, a little lead, always trying to flatpick--Jerry Garcia, Dickey Betts, and Tony Rice are my guitar heroes, I guess.  Old hippie.

Those 7-strings are cool.  Humbuckers?

#19 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, Hums in both positions, and a locking edge tremelo. But tuning is a bit of a chore as tuning one string flattens the others until you hit that sweet spot where the springs and string tension balance. Basically you have to tune prior strings sharp as you go across the fretboard.

I go back and forth between it and my six, as it forces me to focus on where my chord placement is. Sometimes I forget that bottom string is a B not E. So yeah it opens up new possibilities but it definitely adds some challenges.

I currently use a pick for everything, never really learned finger picking techniques...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 04 December 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#20 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Invitro Freak

• 8,822 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:44 AM

I looked at a few models online.  I bet it has a really warm tone.

I think it might need some professional tweaking from what you said about tuning issues.  I would take it to the shop where you bought it and see if they can help.

I guess it's like playing in an open tuning sort of.  I have enough trouble with six, lol.

This may not be your cup of tea, but I remember seeing this dude playing a 7-string at a festival many brain cells ago.  He's pretty incredible:

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!