10 replies to this topic

#1 Knucklebrucks

Knucklebrucks

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

Hey all,

I have inoculated 6 quart jars of WBS and 5 of them (with on contaminated jar) are about fully colonized. I am using a fish tank heater in a tupperware container. I am working on finishing off a grow room with more space where I house more jars from a g2g project, but it is not quite ready.

Question: can you store colonized jars in a fridge for a week, 2 weeks before g2g transfer and expect results?

Any other methods, or is it s shit or get off the pot situation once fully colonized?

Thanks

#2 panaho

panaho

Keyboard Krusader

• Free Member
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

You can store the jars just about anyplace. the cool just slows down or stops just about everything. They can last scores of years.

• Knucklebrucks and Ramble like this

#3 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,612 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

I have stored colonized grains that were used for milking, for at least 3 months. You will be fine keeping in cold storage but the jars/bags have to be fully colonized.

TIPS

Place shrink wrap around the lid or wrap the entire jar so the fridge does not evaporate any moisture out of the grains.

Bring jars out 48 hours before you plan to spawn so that it recovers quicker once spawned.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • MLBjammer, moxieshroom, Needles and 3 others like this

#4 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

That's good to know :)
  • MLBjammer likes this

#5 moxieshroom

moxieshroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

Stored some colonized corn for at least 6 months. A little dry. Wrapping would do the trick!

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,194 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:32 PM

Fridge can be quite bacteria/contam laden ... but in a sealed bag in the fridge would be better or do as 77 mentioned.

I personally have a cold basement so I use that.

Edited by hyphaenation, 12 October 2016 - 10:33 PM.

• Needles likes this

#7 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

keep mine in the fridge till i'm ready for it. have a fridge for this sole purpose, and my beer.

• Knucklebrucks likes this

#8 Knucklebrucks

Knucklebrucks

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

keep mine in the fridge till i'm ready for it. have a fridge for this sole purpose, and my beer.

Just picked up a fridge from the curb for LC, beer and now colonized grain. : )

#9 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,612 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:52 PM

Just picked up a fridge from the curb for LC, beer and now colonized grain. : )
Hyphenation is right about fridges, they can be one of the most dirtiest surfaces in the home and even more then a toilet seat.

Bleach it and never bring anything from the fridge straight to your SAB or Flow Bench until you wipe everything down with bleach. Heck for that matter dont ever bring anything from anywhere straight to your clean work area without bleaching.

Nice find btw, cold storage is away to preserve your cultures but also is excellent for slowing the process down making putting the advancing myc on your timeline, otherwise it will dictate to you what it wants do.

Go fill that fridge with some cultures!
  • MLBjammer likes this

#10 HankoDelicious

HankoDelicious

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

Yes fridge. But make sure its in a sealed bag as my fridge tends to dry out the spawn if not sealed in an airtight bag/container. 

#11 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

Wrap in foil they will keep in the fridge for a long time as long as they don't freeze so watch the settings.

• MLBjammer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!