#41 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

The real proof of this easy way will be when I show pics of rooted clones.
I'm going to add a few kush plants today.

I've seen people use plastic  coffee cans and get 5 or 6 clones rooted every time. A person should get 100%
of the clones they take with a bubble cloner.

The more bubbles the better but even this little one works.

I don't need very many clones until spring when I give to friends who grow outside .

These bubble cloners are often made in several ways. Some people run them at lower temps like 74F
but I keep my place cool so I added the heater that cost $5 years ago. I was worried that the weight of the water tub would be to much for my heat mat.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#42 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

Posting so I remember to read all the links and awesome info in this thread... I'll likely have some questions lol

Plants are looking great!!

Good grow vibes buddy :)
  • Heirloom likes this

#43 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

Those little white spots are the beginning of roots. In a day or two they will be easily identified as roots.

I never got around to adding one of my other 2 hose pumps.

I had several problems, my wife tripped oner one of our dogs and knocked the tub over and the light went into the tub, second time a day or two later she pulled on a cord and pulled out the air hose, heater and clones . I feel luck I got this far  considering the accidents.

This should show how easy water / bubble cloning can be.

Namaste.

Attached Thumbnails

• aclo1 002.JPG
  • aclo1 008.JPG

• Hash_Man likes this

#44 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 437 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

Heirloom, Thankyou for not only explaining this but posting pictures for us
Going to hunt for the items mentioned and give it a try

Hope your wife is alright after her fall
  • Heirloom likes this

#45 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

LakeGal she's ok. Here are some new pics. Sorry about the quality of the pics.

A tiny root popping out. A clone budding about 4 weeks to go. Some shots of clones
in vegand 1 OG kush from seed (feminized seed).

The water / bubble cloner would of worked faster if I had added another air line.
They work best when the water looks like its boiling. Or a smaller container since
I used only 1 airline. Airline comes in 8 foot lengths so they can be cut in half and
be planty long. If the pump is to noisy try hanging it by the cord using a wire tie.

Peace

Attached Thumbnails

• aArt 002.JPG
  • aArt 008.JPG
  • aArt 009.JPG
  • aArt 010.JPG
  • aArt 011.JPG

• wharfrat and Lakegal7 like this

#46 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:01 AM

Larger roots , this one will be planted today in Fox Farm ocean forest. I have heard how
good Fox Farm is but this is the first time I have used it.

Attached Thumbnails

• ARoo 001.JPG

• Lakegal7 likes this

#47 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

New roots a few hours later on another clone.  Bubble cloning
works. Updates in a few weeks give or take.

peace my friends and good grows

Attached Thumbnails

• rootsa 012.JPG
  • rootsa 013.JPG

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 25 November 2016 - 07:11 PM.

• Hash_Man likes this

#48 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 437 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

Nice Heirloom
Your plants look good bro

Went and took 4 clones and used a cut up styrofoam cup to float the plants.
They look nice and alive ha ha
Thanks for your help
  • Hash_Man and Heirloom like this

#49 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thanks LakeGal, I should of mentioned  floating them . I planted another one this morning , went to bed and woke up to a few roots about an inch long.  A little hydrogen peroxide can be used to reduce the risk of bacteria growing.

I am about to empty my little tub and put it away till I need more clones.

I have more than I wanted but oh well, I probably will use a clone to show how to make fem seeds with STS, silver thiosulfate.

The two clones M & K are from F2 seeds grown and selected by the people I got them from. The OG Kusk I bought and they
are fem seeds.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#50 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

I have more than I wanted but oh well, I probably will use a clone to show how to make fem seeds with STS, silver thiosulfate.

Oh yea please do this!! Lol I am going to do this with my plants as well to get a nice stash of seeds of my favourite strains to spread and to store!

I was going to use colloidal silver spray for sore throats off eBay or whatever... it's 30ppm and from what I've read that's the right concentration to do this....

What is the difference between STS and colloidal silver spray? Does one work better? Is the process the same?
  • Heirloom likes this

#51 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:36 PM

entho, STS is made using silver nitrate , sodium thiosulfate and distilled water. Collodial silver  can be made at home with 2 pieces of silver used as electrodes in distilled water, and a dc voltage supply from a small transformer or a battery, I've used a mini plug in transformer  and 9 - 12 volts. I've had it leave a slick of pure silver floating on the water.

I think STS works best it can be bought online already mixed or  follow the recipe I listed earlier in this thread. STS is also used in cucumber breeding.

The silver interferes with the production of ethylene which serves as a female hormone in many plants.

The process is the same I would use a small clone spray it  put into flower and in 2 weeks spray it again. I only use little clone because a little pollen goes a long ways.

Hope this helps

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#52 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:15 PM

That helps a lot, Heirloom, thank you :)

So say I grow a plant out with many tops and treat one of the tops with a silver solution so that it produces male parts.... will those male parts pollinate the rest of that plant? Like the untreated female tops?

Does the pollen need to be collected and applied to the pistols manually or will the male parts on the female plant pollinate the reminder of the plant "naturally" ?

Or Is it considered best practice to have one clone that you treat with silver to be used as your "male" and a separate untreated female plant to receive its pollen?

What is the average yield of seeds from doing this??

Sorry for all the questions lol I have been looking it up online and doing some reading but it's great to ask someone who has personal experience directly :)

#53 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:46 AM

ethno, I have never trued using a branch, I have just used a whole clone.

A lot of times a person will need to manually collect the pollen and apply with a brush to the buds you want seeded.
I have thought about trying to use a fan to try to blow the pollen off and onto the females that will make the seeds, but haven't tried it
yet.

The plants that are chosen to be sex reversed  for flowers in the shape of a female bud but are all male flowers that may not open and drop pollen like a regular male plant. I'll show some pics when I do this and it will be easy to see what I mean.

I get as many seeds as I want If you want only 20 just use the pollen on a small bud, its not hard to make a 100 or a1000 if you want. I have made thousands years ago enough to fill 2 Styrofoam coolers but now those are so old they won't sprout.

I find it easier to start a bunch of female seeds in little cups and go plant 20 a day outside every day for a week or two, than it would be to clone that many. I used to do several outdoor grows with a few people. Now I am to lazy to do  that much growing.

We had some fun trimming parties years ago. 

I have enjoyed talking about feminized seeds, any questions I will try to answer.

• ethnobotanist420, Lakegal7 and Pan1 like this

#54 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

Ok tomorrow I will mix a new batch of STS and spray the clone labeled K,  in a few weeksI will spray clone "M" and the OG Kush.

STS - 1 liter of distilled water with ,5gm of silver nitrate  label solution "A"
            1 liter of distilled water with 2.5 gm of sodium thiosulfate label solution "B"

Add half ounce of A into half ounce of B stirring . Now you have 1 ounce of stock solution,  add 9 ounces of distilled water and you have  10 ounces of working STS solution. Ready to spray on female clone to be sex reversed.

The above recipe make 10 liters of STS. Too much for me but enough for seed makers that sell seeds.

I will mix it tomorrow , spray clone "K" and put in in flower and spray again in 2 weeks , now the clone will show signs of burn , from the chemical applied.

The plant will recover and in about a 3 to 4 weeks I will be able to show you a female sex reversed plant ready to pollinate a female to make feminized seeds. Fem X Fem.

Growing out the seeds will show how good they are , some plants cross's are better than others.

Ok later

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 28 November 2016 - 05:54 PM.

#55 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

Thank you for helping me to understand this process better, Heirloom!!

Is this how "the big seed companies" produce their feminized seeds? Must be...

I did a lot of reading last night and it seems the main difference between colloidal silver and STS is that colloidal silver has to be applied daily for almost 3 weeks (or until visible changes occur) where as the STS only needs two applications?

I can see how the STS is definitely more cost effective and probably less stressful on the plants...

Again, thank you for sharing all of your wisdom! I look forward to watching this grow log play out :)
-Ethno
  • Heirloom likes this

#56 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

A new batch of STS.

.5gm of silver nitrate dissolved in 500 ml of distilled water.
2.5 gm  sodium thiosulfate dissolved in 500 ml of distilled water.

These are my stock solutions. I add equal parts of A in B then add 9 parts water and spray  clone to be sex reversed.

I will store stock solutions A & B in fridge until I want to mix up more to use on clones M and an OG Kusk clone.

By storing my stock solutions in separate jars ( instead of mixing ) they will last longer.

Now this plant will show some burning from the chems but will be ok. In two weeks I will spray again.

I will show the results, the male flowers  and pollen. The male flowers will look like female
bud cones but made up of only male flowers.

This is clone labeled K the first to be sex reversed. I might save some pollen in a fridge or freeze. I have used frozen pollen a year old.

About 4 weeks and I will show a sex reversed female clone.

Namaste

edit - the recipe I listed here is correct . 500 ml per jar.  

I posted 1 liter per jar and that was wrong in a post above ethnos.

Please use this recipe in this post.

Attached Thumbnails

• AAAAASTS 002.JPG
  • AAAAAAK 004.JPG

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 29 November 2016 - 06:50 PM.

• ethnobotanist420 and wharfrat like this

#57 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

A taste of " Advances in Hemp" might be of some interest or not. This book is not for everyone.
Some may find it good others won't. Mostly about hemp but some about medical cannabis.

If anyone wants I can post more.

I need to use a tripod to take pics like these. To get better pics.

My clone I sprayed yesterday is showing some signs of stress from the STS.

Attached Thumbnails

• Advances 002.JPG
  • Advances 010.JPG
  • Advances 017.JPG
  • Advances 019.JPG

• Hash_Man and ethnobotanist420 like this

#58 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:59 PM

I read those imges, it's funny Heirloom . I've read the same light stress test with the simalar results using Cannabis Sativa both are Cannabaceae family, now they are suppose to be dioecious (being either male or female) but they both have hermaphrodite properties so they must have both sex genes idk . . so with that in mind it helps understanding sex link genes ... I heard outdoors some strains of marijana plants will herm if they are planted to late in the spring because the shorter light cycle in the fall fucks with them as they are not genetically mature enough to know what to do, I think that's also what it said in those pages you posted.
  • Heirloom likes this

#59 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:27 PM

Hash they have may have xy (male) chromosomes and still show female flowers. Just as a XX female plant can still have male flowers .

Sex is controlled not only by xx (F)  xy (M) sex chromosomes but by AUTOSOMES genes that are not sexual but are involved in enzyme - chem production
this effects the plants sexuality through plant hormone production.

Cannabis sexuality is as complex as human sexuality. Some xy men might be feminine and some xx females might be very masculine..

In naturally occurring cannabis the rate of hermaphordites is 2% or so .Natural selection.

In human grown cannabis fields the percentage of intersex plants  is hugely higher . This is due to human selection.

In nature a plant will not get the traditional indoor light stress.

Sativas show more hermies than indicas this might be due to genetics, to selection, I cannot answer that . I admit I know very little
and would like to know.

Attached Thumbnails

• aa1vances 003.JPG

#60 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:24 PM

Hash  I think we may be expressing similar ideas using other words, we don't need be divided. I need to write so I am not so
I am more uniting than dividing. I am no expert , I am parroting other work.

RC Clarke in Marijuana Botany wrote in what 1980? or 1982? Than the higher than normal female to male sex ratio of commercial seeds was due to selection of intersex plants.

I think.

Seed makers selected intersex plants for the seeds they sell.

Was this for increased profits? Yes. This also prevented common people from using the seeds they bought for further commercial use. In the F1 generation they may have more females but the F2 gen is not worth working with unless a huge amount is
grown and few selected.

That being said I have 2 good F2 clones, K & M.

I read that sativa farmers that were old timers and in the know grew separate fields of bud. I or more fields for sale and 1 for seed.

In the seed field they eliminated hermies for the next generation of seed.  ( we should talk about mass selection or recurrent selection.)

Others grew a field and being lazy they did not eliminate hermies and then harvested the whole field. They saved seeds and used what Clarke calls unconscious selection.

Keeping select clones is better than trying to breed ones own seeds . If we could visit sativa growing areas and meet the best sativa growers we could get great seeds.

My favorite sativa is original haze.

peace

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!