#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

I'm teaching myself Tarot reading but using the standard techniques combined with an American Indian type of method.

Basically American Indian shamans would take "bits and bones" in a small mat and "throw the bones", blow sacred smoke over it and go into a light trance state while divining the meaning of the throw.

What I'm working on is casting the cards on a similar mat (with symbols and sigils of meaning), blowing the smoke and then reading the cards in a similar manner. I do this to draw on my Irish and Cherokee heritage.

I'm interested in anyone who uses either or both of these reading methods as I'm just starting out. Need your knowledge and experience to help me along!

Thanks and blessings to you all!
  • wildedibles and gatekeeper like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:36 PM

I read a variety of divination cards at my circle meetings. The method however is to pull cards (I prefer three) and read them intuitivly before delving any deeper into the meanings. I often pull from several different decks.

My go to at home however is my rune set, that I made myself from Willow, White Alder, and White Birch. I made a blank but do not use it. I prefer to pull a specific number from a bag, and place them in the layout I pre decided. The question is held clearly in mind before and during the pulling of the runes.

Usually a 3 layout, but I also use a 5 layout. The runes are turned like pages in a book on a cloth I use, and with myself  facing north. These readings I am most comfortable with.

I  have also pulled at random, the number I want, or a handfull, whichever feels right.  and cast them on  the cloth. I use the same directional meanings as the 5 layout, and if the rune falls upside down do not read that one. This is more in the line of "casting", but I am honestly not as comfortable with this method as when I am selecting individual discs for the position in a 3 or 5 layout.

med_gallery_126525_1462_40074.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 16 October 2016 - 10:37 PM.

• Arathu, wildedibles and SteampunkScientist like this

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:57 PM

Those are beautiful runes Skye! Any particular method to determining which wood to use with which rune?

And what do you use as associations for each rune itself similar to how each of the Tarot cards has an abstract general meaning.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 16 October 2016 - 10:59 PM.

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

There are many traditional woods used. I selected the water trees, that live and thrive in the company of streams and creeks. Water is an important element for me, being oriented from the western point of the circle .

All of the runes can be made of the same wood, but the three I selected are all similar in weight and feel, so they would not be easily differentiated by feel. I used one wood for each Aett. These are from the Elder Futhark.

First Aett was willow, for the Earth Family. The second Aett is the Warrior Family, and I picked the Alder because it bleeds red when first cut. The third Aett is the Heaven Family, and White Birch seemed pure and was whiter wood.

It was important to me that the wood and trees it came from was willing, so I asked permission before Taking a branch, and asked which branch was offered for this purpose. It is also important that each rune be named with its intended symbol throughout the process, and by the time I finished, each rune was imprinted with its name, and the phonetic word that was that symbol.

The word associated with each symbol has meaning related to what it is. Reading the meaning uses the associated meanings of the word, and when reversed the meaning is basicly the opposite. Where it falls has bearing as well if understood as the past or base of the problem, followed by what bears upon it now, and then what the final outcome will be.

As an example, "I" is Isa (ice) is frozen or stuck, static. It can be a challange or frustration, a block, a time to wait or seek clarity. This rune does not have a reverse, but in opposition would be a warning of treachery, or plots of betrayal.

F is Feoh, which means Cattle. This is a symbol of wealth, fulfillment, material gain, even greed.

Reversed would be dissapointments, loss, money problems, or even arguments.

As with Tarot, the meaning must be read intuitively. There are too many possibilities, but what seems right to you has most bearing. All meanings should be considered, but you will know which fits best. The runes before, after, above, and below, will all clarify the meanings of all the other symbols.

I used to read Tarot, but moved away from that for no particular reason.

• Arathu, wildedibles and SteampunkScientist like this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:09 AM

I used to use Taro cards until an ex boyfriends mom threw them away on me ......anyway I learned a bit on runes I love the idea and have used them some with some success :) its been a while tho I wanna teach my oldest son how to use them this winter :)

I have some cards that are animal and plant spirit cards this is soposed to be more of a Native American style just in the meanings of plants and animals .....I use 3 card spread ...past....present....future...

I have heard about bits of bone and stone shells etc being used if you have any info on this to share I would love reading it :)

I also have used candels or fire and I really love using my crystal ball this is the easiest for me and it feels right like something that fits very well for me all other means just dont feel like the stone does for me
  • Skywatcher and SteampunkScientist like this

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:05 PM

Thanks Skye. I have runes carved in my staff, but never have used them in divination. I use pendulums, and Tarot, but the runes are something i need to consider.
  • wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:16 AM

I used to use Taro cards to talk with spirits and I realized that the goodbye or blank card is how you close the gate or what ever you wanna call it .........now I create a circle of protection to read normally don't forget to close it ....I wanted to mention the blank card tho cause some don't know its how you say good bye when you are done so nothing is left open possibly causing problems later on

Beware sometimes knowing bits and peices of the future can be hard ....... sometimes I know when a death is gonna happen but its hard when you dont know who or how to stop it from happening .....Its nice to know that love or money is on its way but what about a death but not knowing how to stop it can leave you full of guilt ...why have these gifts if we cannot change what we wanna change ;) sometimes its meant to be and we have to take the knowing its gonna happen as a heads up be careful and tell everyong you love them........and remember the death card dosnt always mean the death of a person it could mean an end an end to a relationship an end to a way of life to a job etc.....
  • AGAMA, Skywatcher and SteampunkScientist like this

#8 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:38 AM

I used to use Taro cards to talk with spirits and I realized that the goodbye or blank card is how you close the gate or what ever you wanna call it .........now I create a circle of protection to read normally don't forget to close it ....I wanted to mention the blank card tho cause some don't know its how you say good bye when you are done so nothing is left open possibly causing problems later on

Beware sometimes knowing bits and peices of the future can be hard ....... sometimes I know when a death is gonna happen but its hard when you dont know who or how to stop it from happening .....Its nice to know that love or money is on its way but what about a death but not knowing how to stop it can leave you full of guilt ...why have these gifts if we cannot change what we wanna change ;) sometimes its meant to be and we have to take the knowing its gonna happen as a heads up be careful and tell everyong you love them........and remember the death card dosnt always mean the death of a person it could mean an end an end to a relationship an end to a way of life to a job etc.....

This is interesting... My deck, which is a standard Rider-Waite in the metal box (with 2 extra drawings by Pamela Smith on 2 additional cards) does not have a blank card. I use the 2 additional drawings because the first is a drawing of 3 girls, a small girl with her head on her grandmothers lap (representing the maiden and the crone) and the mother of the child with her back to the viewer of the card, (the very young boy is there too... I believe him to be perhaps the youn "fool".)making dinner. I use this as the opening card. The second "extra card" is a picture of the man who has made the fools journey with the little girl, now a grown women. They are the lovers, now together. I use that one to close.

But your point is well taken. If you are going to open this door, be sure you close it when your done!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 18 October 2016 - 11:17 AM.

• AGAMA, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

It came to me the other day why I don't use cards etc. so often anymore and I thought I would share in here with you :)

I have been having a stressful time I'm comming up on change and I was reminded by many wide people that I can only take one day at a time :) well the night before the turtle spirit was coming to me every time I closed my eyes I seen the turtle :) same kind of thing one day at a time and remind me how to stay protected etc....he is a guide when I know Im doing something right :)

On the way to my one apt well I seen a bird the size of a hawlk but different colors it was more black and white for a moment I thought it was a bald egale but the colors were oposite...?? with some looking I seen it might be a falcon WOW!! never seen that bird before :) well my apt was very good news and a dear friend wanted to help me out it wasnt bad news at all I was thinking what now but left WOW!! :)
I looked up the falcon and Wow it fits perfect :)
http://www.universeo...-symbolism.html

and well my hubby was calling me a mouse that day and at the bottom of the falcon just happen to be the mouse well I couldnt resist and read it too and ya it fits :)
http://www.universeo...-symbolism.html

I find if I listen to the animal guides that come my way usually I do not need the cards ....I think this is why I was drawn to the animal cards :) but it was the taro deck that started my facination in these arts :)
  • Skywatcher and Alder Logs like this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,013 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

There was a period in my life when spiders became my advisors.   That was pretty neat, and they were always keeping me from big and small fuck-ups.   That wonderful period ended when my doubting mind made me test them one too many times.  I still love them, but that last lesson was a hard one.  

• Skywatcher likes this

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

For enhancement of my working relationship with the runes......

magic_tri_001.jpg

Approached from the duality built into us........(my own perceptions)

meditation and magic 2.jpg

Part of the concept behind this methodology

small_rune_meditation_001.jpg

A practical application of the method

The idea here is get the intellect (loosely left brained Arathu) and the the emotional animal (loosely right brained Arathu), as in the old cliche head or heart, to communicate and come to agreements on things. THEN to begin to absorb the runes from three views at least. I use this method in a semi formal ritual setting for deep explorations. Divination IME turns out to be a glimpse of the possibilities behind, immediate, and before us.

Here is an example, the question placed directly into the web:

What will be the outcome of growing and selling the sacred mushrooms?

The draw from a blue bag of staves..........

Othala..........Ancestral homeland (could be seen as the body among other things)

Hagalaz............catastrophic rearrangement or destruction

Laguz..........life waters, living energy

I've never looked back or even considered ignoring this message.............I did ask again and got an English verbal response immediately planted into my head.....literally "Don't fuck with the sacred!" 

Keep on searching brothers and sisters..........it's all out there and in there...........

• Skywatcher likes this

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

small_GEDC4254.jpg

I just realized how long I've been doing this.............yikes!

The best thing I've ever discover about myself is that I don't know shit and I'm a great actor!

:biggrin:

• Skywatcher likes this

#13 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Out of likes or I would vote you all up! Such excellent responses. Arathu, love your synopsis. Now I keep seeing the connections with morphic resonance, which I believe may be the carrier of these psychic glimpses.

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Damn it I'm out of "likes" again..........hahahahaha

#15 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

The last few days... Is someone fucking with the "like meter"? :)

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

I like how Sheldrake explored and explained it. There is certainly common thread even if it's called different things. I feel particularly resonant with "Northern European Tradition" as it's being reconstructed by some very talented and versed folks. I don't get so hung up in "right/wrong" from the academic views particularly since I'm an Indigenous European, from multiple ancient tribes, living the occupied territories called North America. The web of wyrd specifically is reflected along with the sacred triple in my working altar. 

A

Edited by Arathu, 15 January 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#17 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

What tribes if I may ask?

Mine would be the McGregor's and McHugh.

#18 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:06 AM

That was the "old country" is what they'd say...... my reference is to the tribes of Italy, Slovakia, and Poland as was told to me by the relatives. I do have the Italian surname disappearing into the mountains East of Rome so who knows..... Romans or someone conquered by them.......... :mellow:    

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

I was doing some reading/meditation on sacred geometry today and I had an epiphany that I think relates to this question and gives me a better explanation to this question rather than giving you a definition like I did. I apologize but that was the best way I knew at the time. This is what I realized today though...

Our brains are set up in two ways, the left is male and logic based, and the right is female and intuitively based. This is important to know in sacred geometry. It is also important to know, like mentioned above that straight lines are male energy and curved lines are female energies.

Because of our evolution here on earth, and I don't want to go into detail, but our evolution has heavily favored the left male logic side. Although both the male logic side, and the female intuitive side both have access to truth/mystic experiences, its easier to get there on the female side. A good example of this can be the hobby that is studied here at this site, entheogens. Clearly this is a female/intuitive based hobby. The realizations/understandings/experiences defy logic and understanding, its only in the intuitive nature of our hobby that real meaning is found, you can never explain it with logic. I think we can all agree here...

But what is amazing about sacred geometry is that it united both the left and right sides, both the logic and the intuitive. The left side gets satisfied with the number aspect of geometry, proving its legitness in numbers and logic, but the female intuitive side also is very stimulated in the geometry/art/creativity aspect of it. This is very important, you are polarizing the duality of your being, thus making it easier to contact the source.

Nothing bothers me more than when people argue the difference between spirituality and science, because if both are understood correctly, all will realize that in their purest and most true forms, spirituality and science are the same thing. There is no difference, they are both explaining the same thing. This is why sacred geometry is so important, it brings together both the left logic male side, and the right intuitive female side together. This is what I mean when I say that if you truly understand spirituality and if you truly understand science, you will understand that there are no differences, that they are one of the same and try to explain the same thing.

The second realization that came with this epiphany is the visual side. From the first circle, to the first rotation and the seed of life, to the flower of life and so on. Each step you go up, it contains all the information of the first step, plus everything added. When you look in nature you will see all of these, it might not be apparent at first because of layers, but you will see that they are a blend of all of these things together. Once you see this, it brings about a left side, male logic realization where you can see everything as one, everything as the source, everything form the same, because you can see the same underlying patterns, shapes, geometries to everything in existence. Its just these things are so overlapped, its hard to see these, but if you study this you can begin to see the separate layers. The platonic solids are a good example in Metatron's cube, try to see them all when given the Metatron's cube, its hard eh? But as shown above, we all know that they are all there. This is not because of an intuitive experience/feeling, but from pure logic....

Try to explain to everyone that we are one, that we are all the same because you have felt it in an experience that you had with entheogens. There is no way to show the oneness there, its a personal/intuitive experience that only you can know and understand, it has to be experienced. But when you can logically see how all of creation is connected geometrically, you can come to this same realization through logic, the male/left side, and not through intuitive feelings. This could be explained as the scientific way....

Now can we see why this is so important, look at the potential this has to offer you, to me its the same potential that this hobby of entheogens has to offer, contact with the source......

I hope I can convey my epiphany correctly?
I felt it with every fiber of my being...

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

Edited by dpwishy, 15 November 2010 - 06:08 PM.

To me it is quite interesting how many "ties" there are...............kind of like there is a framework in the background.................  :biggrin: 

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#20 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

Listen to the album "Hemispheres" by Rush. Exactly what that quote was saying.

"...Into a single...Perfect...Sphere."

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 16 January 2017 - 08:35 PM.

• AGAMA and Arathu like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!