147 replies to this topic

#1 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:16 PM

I've been wanting to grow mushrooms for years, but it was never going to happen. Now, I've been living with my mom for the last year, working full time at the same place for just over 2 years, and my mom has relaxed a bit.

So, it's on!

I ordered spores from Earth's Tongue: Mazatepec, Dakak Beach Thai, and Pink Buffalo Thai. After reading here about Koh Samui, i was very interested but they were out.

Yesterday, I stopped by Lowes and got some necessities: An FC, Verm, Perlite, Damp-rid, two shoe-sized boxes, fireplace silicone, and rope lights.

What i still need:
PC, jars, gloves and hoops for my GB, polyfill and isopropyl.

As of right now, i have a ton of birdseed. I was thinking about doing WBS flour cakes. Following PF Tek, but with coarse WBS flour (if it's really an issue brf is doable), and then casing whole in shoe boxes or slicing and casing. I can fruit as cakes, but it seems like more maintenance than casing.

Any thoughts, tips, concerns?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

Good luck and congrats.

Personally I would recommend doing something really straightforward for your first grow... WBS could work like that ground up but there are a lot of variables. There are many types of wbs , with all manner of different combinations (I've even seen peanuts). What I wouldn't want to see for you is a failure setback the first time. Instead I'd recommend straight PF cakes. Now that's just me voicing a recommendation. Take with grains of salt.. .and take pictures!

You could also get some birdseed going on the side for later bulk projects  :sleep:

• sandman, Sidestreet, fungi2bwith and 3 others like this

#3 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

Good luck and congrats.

Personally I would recommend doing something really straightforward for your first grow... WBS could work like that ground up but there are a lot of variables. There are many types of wbs , with all manner of different combinations (I've even seen peanuts). What I wouldn't want to see for you is a failure setback the first time. Instead I'd recommend straight PF cakes. Now that's just me voicing a recommendation. Take with grains of salt.. .and take pictures!

You could also get some birdseed going on the side for later bulk projects

Don't worry, it's regular bird seed. Millet, thistle, sunflower, etc. No peanuts or other crazy stuff how would ground birdseed be much different than brf? Don't the difficulties from wbs stem mostly from the fact that it's used mostly in bulk grows?

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

Howdy and welcome.

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:18 PM

Like I said...take pictures. Be nice to see it no matter what you try.

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

I'd return the fireplace silicone and get bath silicone to save approx $6 and I'd return the lights too, ambient works fine. IMHO.

Congratulations! Say hi and thanks to mom!

Edited by catattack, 15 October 2016 - 10:10 PM.

• fungi2bwith and Microbe like this

#7 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

I'd return the fireplace silicone and get bath silicone to save approx $6 and the lights, ambient works fine. IMHO.

Congratulations! Say hi to mom!
I'm probably going to be growing in a closet/crawl space. I only got $6 rope lights.

Thanks for the tips Cat, I have much respect for your work.

• Hash_Man and CatsAndBats like this

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:17 PM

Well then get some donuts and go nuts!

Thank you!

• HrVanker likes this

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,477 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

Let 'er rip!

• HrVanker likes this

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

Let 'er rip!

Let 'er rip, potato chip!

[We're rhyming our encouragement @sidestreet, duh]

Edited by catattack, 16 October 2016 - 08:40 AM.

• Sidestreet and HrVanker like this

#11 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,477 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

You're a brat, feisty cat!

• CatsAndBats likes this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,307 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

No more rhymes now, I mean it!

gallery_131808_1351_98.jpg

• Sidestreet, Microbe and Sade like this

#13 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

No more rhymes now, I mean it!

gallery_131808_1351_98.jpg

Don't mess with our dialogues, alderLogs.

• Sidestreet likes this

#14 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

I don't know how well ground birdseed would perform in cakes. I do know that ground long-grain brown rice works well, and this is your first grow, so you want to keep it as simple and predictable as you can.

You can also steam sterilize your cakes in a big pot with a lid (90 minutes at a low boil), although I would suggest picking up a PC for future projects.

I would also leave the cakes as cakes for your first attempt. You want to give yourself the best odds at having success while being able to observe the life cycle of mycelium.
  • dead_diver, Hash_Man, fungi2bwith and 3 others like this

#15 moxieshroom

moxieshroom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

I agree with these guys. Stick to the basics for your first run. You will be happy with the results. BRF cakes are simple and easy and have a great success rate in a simple FC. A nornal light will work but a future purchase would be a daylight bulb. Remember the KISS principle. After you have a grow under your belt, do some reasearch, and studying, and try out your birdseed cakes. We all want to see if it works. Good luck with your first grow!

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

Or wait for it..

BOTH!

I know that it's wise for "neophyte" growers to KISS or whatever (I truly hate that acronym), but fortune does favor the bold. I say do classic BRF/PF teks side by side with a WBS creation.

• dead_diver and HrVanker like this

#17 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

To me the direction your going is fine. I'm a fan of WILD BIRD SEED but not as flour, I have to agree with others go BRF to assure success
  • HrVanker likes this

#18 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

The idea for WBS flour cakes was not my own creation. On Earth's Tongue, I saw that they sell WBS cakes to be used as a normal PF cake. Then I did some searching and found a few threads with people asking whether it could be done. If i remember correctly, a couple people said they had done it with success. One suggested better performance. However, they don't hold as much water.

I had completely forgotten about steaming jars. I had no plans to do anything but PC! Hence why I'm not so concerned about the grain used, sterile is sterile... my plan is to PC and then case, a la:
http://www.fungifun.org/English/Casing

Here is the PC I ordered Sat night: https://www.amazon.c...a_1KnbybY6193QQ

But there is no need for me too be stubborn when brown rice is readily available. And never one to make things too simple, I think I'll do the side-by-side that Cat suggested!

EDIT: I see that their cakes are birdseed and brf cakes. I must have been stoned and only read the first part.
http://www.earthston...-Substrate-Jars

Edited by HrVanker, 17 October 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#19 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

Jars complete!36dd4853e0e127d786315c15596d7405.jpg

I also got my PC, so tomorrow i think I'll make my substrate. Spores will be here Friday.

There is one procedural question that's been bugging me. How do i flame a needle, and wipe it down with iso, in a GB, without having flare ups? I was thinking about a baby food jar, with an injection port, filled with iso. Just insert, swish around and withdraw. The whole jar can be wiped down prior to working.

Edited by HrVanker, 20 October 2016 - 12:30 AM.

• Sidestreet and CatsAndBats like this

#20 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,477 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:20 AM

Well, one thing you could do is just wipe the needle with alcohol and forget about the flame.  I never use fire any more for needles.  Just PC the syringe and then wipe with alcohol between every jar.  Of course you would skip the PC if you're using a new needle from a vendor.

• HrVanker likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!