95 replies to this topic

#1 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

Well, I had a cordycep militaris culture that needed expansion/attention and well, here it is.

post-147940-0-55264000-1476585023.jpg

Pictured from left to right:

Jar 1

Standard steeped oats with my 'catattives'

Jar2

600ml of h2o with 4% sucrose and a magnetic stirrer

Jar3

50g of rice, 10g of eggshells (called for bug material, but I've seen it on just rice) and 70ml of h2o

All together there's two LC jars, three grain jars, and one BRF jar.

Attached Thumbnails

• cordycep jars.jpg

Edited by catattack, 15 October 2016 - 09:42 PM.

• -=Zeus=-, Furthur1 and TyPi like this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,754 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:48 PM

pulling up a chair! unless i fall off it  :tongue:

• whitethumb and catattack like this

#3 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,528 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

Im curious to see how it does with the sucrose. Is your sucrose source Humming Bird nectar or nectar powder?

Really cool species, infecting and controlling the mind of insects before it kills them then fruits out of their carcass.

A few species of the of the Genus Cordyceps have been studied including the species you have, and scientific evidence has been found that Cordycep militaris has anti-cancer properties because of some compound in contains a abundance of.

Im afraid of parasitic fungi because of all the episodes of Monsters Inside Me that i have watched but this one is no harm to humans.

This species is exactly why the government needs to provide funding to the science of mycology. The cure for everything is probably hidden in the Fungi kingdom but yet we know of less then 10% of the species on the planet and the of the 10% we know of, probably less then 5% do we truly understand their individual composition or biological role or biological potential to be more accurately stated.

Wait is that even a word? Biological Potential? Lmao

Being a fungus nerd, this is going to be a exciting thread, go to the pet store and buy some crickets!

Edited by Microbe77, 15 October 2016 - 10:11 PM.

• whitethumb, wharfrat and catattack like this

#4 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

The cordycep medicine can also increase the availability of oxygen by 10%!

post-147940-0-40633400-1476587692.jpg

I was told to put them to silkworm pupae. They like the squishier bugs the best.

Attached Thumbnails

• cordycepsinfo.jpg

Edited by catattack, 15 October 2016 - 10:16 PM.

• Microbe, wharfrat, fuzzyfunguy and 1 other like this

#5 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,528 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:59 PM

Are you familiar with ergot of rye? That was the first fungus i studied when i was doing kitchen chemistry extracting Lysergic Acid Amide from seeds. I was trying to learn how to synthesize LSD-25, lmao! I studied for 2 years and although 15+ years ago, i was able to make some LSA doses that were very comparable to LSD and without consuming a lot of seed.

Anyway i saw your last post and i immediately thought Ergot of Rye and they are of the same genus. The fungus that was behind St Anthony's Fire, i think it was called St Anthony's Fire anyway. Even after reading about that, i still wasnt afraid of it but i was young and very naive.

I love fungus!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edited by Microbe77, 15 October 2016 - 11:00 PM.

• catattack likes this

#6 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,528 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

Last clutter post, today anyway but it was the study of lsa that brought me to place called Erowid.com and its crazy im talking about it because i downloaded a app that erowid has now, it is bad ass. If anyone is not familiar with Erowid.com, it is the most comprehensive info about every mood altering chemical on the planet and they have actual abstracts that were taken from Albert Hoffman's process or maybe even the actual research i dont remember its been so long ago since i looked at it. It is a step by step to synthesize LSD. However most of the chemicals are controlled and the process is very dangerous let alone the ergot of rye but it can be substituted. Perhaps it is dated and there is another process i dont know. My point is erowid.com has a app

Edited by Microbe77, 15 October 2016 - 11:09 PM.

#7 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,528 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:42 PM

The cordycep medicine can also increase the availability of oxygen by 10%!

post-147940-0-40633400-1476587692.jpg

I was told to put them to silkworm pupae. They like the squishier bugs the best.

Whoa, a canopy of Cordycep is going to require a lot of bugs!
  • whitethumb and catattack like this

#8 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Here is info pulled from the mycosymbiotics wordpress (word for word just formatted to fit our threads):

https://mycosymbioti...ceps-militaris/

Cordyceps militaris is the most commonly collected Cordyceps worldwide! Growing on parasitized Moth Larvae this cordyceps holds many of the same components as the classically collected Tibetan Cordyceps sinensis, and research has shown the militaris to have superior antioxidant effects. With cordyceps, as long as the insect is edible the mummified body contains more medicinal benefits than the mushroom! This past august at the 1st annual MycoSymbiotics Mushroom&Arts Festival in Duncannon Pennsylvania our friend Charlie Aller aka “Charliceps” found a few specimen of Cordyceps militaris. One of these specimen made it into the MycoSymbiotics Lab where we got a clean culture running on Potato Dextrose Agar with crushed biochar added to make the mycelium stand out. Cultures were distributed to various mycologists including Ryan Paul Gates of Terrestrial Fungi who has been working on fruiting it out.

There has been lots of research out of the  Cordyceps Research Institute  Mushtech, Korea. This is one of the only Cordyceps mushrooms that is being produced commercially. Most cordyceps supplements are mycelium grown on brown rice flour or a glutinous grain so you will be buying more starch than medicinal components. Having access to the fruit body is critical for using this mushroom for Holistic practices.  Not every Cordyceps militaris culture will fruit. Taking spore pints and working from single spore isolates can encourage vigorous genetics, also you can isolate the best producing mushroom phenotype.  Cordyceps also loose vigor quickly so proven cultures should be stored away ASAP!

Cordyceps militaris can fruit in vitro on various Agar mixes when exposed to light in an environment kept between 65-75degrees Fahrenheit.  Ryan and I both were able to produce pins in vitro, Ryan successfully produced fruit bodies, and is moving into spore culture. Ryan has successfully cultivated the cordyceps in a larger scale view 3rd picture in slide show.

A simple Brown rice medium can be prepared by mixing 50 g of brown rice and 10 g of silkworm pupae in 70 mL of distilled water in 32oz glass jars. This was the recipe used to produce fruit bodies in the Cordyceps Research in Korea. There are many recipes to try! We suggest trying different moth larvae in your mixes. Get your hands on a local wild culture, or proven lab culture, and start experimenting!! #PropagateAndMyceliate

This Cordyceps culture is available in petri dishes or liquid culture syringe  contact [email protected]

References:

Comparison of protective effects between cultured Cordyceps militaris and natural Cordyceps sinensis against oxidative damage. Yu HM, Wang BS, Huang SC, Duh PD. Fruiting Body Formation of Cordyceps militaris from Multi-Ascospore Isolates and Their Single Ascospore Progeny Strains. Bhushan Shrestha, Sang-Kuk Han, Jae-Mo Sung, and Gi-Ho Sung

post-147940-0-15212600-1476621182.jpg

Photo Ryan Paul Gates and mycosymbiotics

Attached Thumbnails

• cordy canopy.jpg

Edited by catattack, 16 October 2016 - 07:46 AM.

• whitethumb, Hash_Man, Microbe and 1 other like this

#9 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

I was going to ask where the fuck do you get 'silkworm pupae' but a quick search found its a common found food for Koi and reptiles, keep us updated bro.
  • fungi2bwith likes this

#10 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

I was going to ask where the fuck do you get 'silkworm pupae' but a quick search found its a common found food for Koi and reptiles, keep us updated bro.

post-147940-0-25430600-1476639876.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• noproblemo.jpg

Edited by catattack, 16 October 2016 - 12:45 PM.

• sandman and Lazerus00 like this

#11 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

post-147940-0-30850800-1476989714.jpg

We have signs of life! This is the whole rice/eggshell jar (please note the Rad Mycology flyer, mad props!). The LCs have life too, but not enough to photograph.

Attached Thumbnails

• cordycep on egg2.jpg

Edited by catattack, 20 October 2016 - 01:59 PM.

• whitethumb, Hash_Man, Needles and 1 other like this

#12 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

Awsome bro, did you hydrate the brown rice/shell to the same constancy if you were prepare it for cubensis? and if I may ask sir, what is the ratio shell to rice, did you grind the rice?

Edited by Hash_Man, 20 October 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#13 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

Awsome bro, did you hydrate the brown rice/shell to the same constancy if you were prepare it for cubensis? and if I may ask sir, what is the ratio shell to rice, did you grind the rice?

Well I mixed up all of these (also found in the OP, along with the ratios for the other jars):

Jar3

50g of rice, 10g of eggshells (called for bug material, but I've seen it on just rice) and 70ml of h2o

It was whole rice, and I PC'd for 30min at 15psi. The guy from mycosymbiotics (mad ups!), said they prefer moist, which makes sense as they colonize the insides of insects.

Here's one of the LC's  (I couldn't upload the video where it's easier to see the myc, because it's on a homemade stir plate):

post-147940-0-52913400-1477009548.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• signal-2016-10-20-172829.jpg

Edited by catattack, 20 October 2016 - 07:32 PM.

• Hash_Man and Lazerus00 like this

#14 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

post-147940-0-47575500-1477234338.jpg

post-147940-0-91457100-1477234398.jpg

Here's a lil update.

The mycelium is such a pretty tomentose puffy cloud!

Attached Thumbnails

• cordycep on egg3.jpg
  • cordycep on grain.jpg

Edited by catattack, 23 October 2016 - 09:56 AM.

• whitethumb, Hash_Man, Microbe and 1 other like this

#15 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

I think you could also use seafood plant waste.  Shrimp tails, crab shells ,etc.  The chitin they possess are probably just as easy to convert as the chitin in larvae pupae.  Chitin is also a fundamental building block of mushrooms hence the connection I think.

My cordyceps are forming little scoobies in the jar.  I may pull some of those out and try them.

• catattack, Furthur1 and Lazerus00 like this

#16 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Pretty nice bro . .

Found an related video

[Direct Link]

Edited by Hash_Man, 26 October 2016 - 12:03 PM.

• Needles and catattack like this

#17 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

That's really cool! I shook a jar today to see if it recovers the same way cubes do.

#18 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 745 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:13 PM

Pretty nice bro . .
Found an related video

[Direct Link]

Very cool video. Looks like they were using a Tupperware type container filled with sorghum. Didn't look like there was a filter for gas exchange?? Maybe it wasn't needed. I have been experimenting with C. sinensis and using sorghum. Never had luck getting fruits, but never added larva. I did get cakes of mycelium harvested from a broth. dried then run through a coffee grinder and put in jell caps.

Looking forward to seeing results Cat, keep posting....... Cool thread.
  • catattack likes this

#19 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

The shaking doesn't seem to bother them.  I hook all my jars and they did fine.  I couldn't get beyond the spawn phase though.  Gonna look into the silkworm thing.

• catattack likes this

#20 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

The shaking doesn't seem to bother them.  I hook all my jars and they did fine.  I couldn't get beyond the spawn phase though.  Gonna look into the silkworm thing.

It's my understanding that one can fruit off of non insect material. It can be as simple as WBR.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!