106 replies to this topic

#101 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

There's a cordycep that grows in the valley I took Needles to.......I've seen it before and this thread reminded me...........I need to go back out there and look......crazy stinkhorns growing out there too.....

Cool stuff Cat! Nice work man..............

#102 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'm not sure if it's safe to let Cat play with the cordyceps. No future feeding those cultures!cordyceps-the-Last-of-Us.jpg

#103 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,956 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

He ^ brought the 'clickers'

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#104 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,956 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

I can't get mine to fruit. Its been months. I put some charcoal In there which is the white you see as its now colonized. Went back and forth in different rooms to see if the temp dif would do anything.

Not sure where to go now.

Actual charcoal? Charcoal isn't activated and doesn't function like activated charcoal which is what you want if trying to induce pinning.

Many are confusing charcoal and even chard wood with activated carbon. Even camp fires do not get hot enough to activate the carbon or charcoal. There is no method that I know of for diy activated carbon/charcoal .

It's unclear exactly why activated carbon works and will very by species. In species that require a hefty colony of bacteria in the surface or casing to fruit properly, it is believed that the charcoal absorbs whatever the bacteria breaks down and consumes.

This reduction in what is probably a secondary metabolite containing hormones, triggers the species to fruit. As far as Cordyceps, they may or may not respond to the activated carbon as some species do.

What the charcoal is good for is a carbon source. Cordyceps enjoy a high carbon content and I'm talking more then 10:1 on the C:N ratio. High carbon subs will provide you the greatest yields with Cordyceps militaris and im going to speculate and say you didn't add charcoal to the substrate so doubt you will see a noticeable difference. There are other carbon source such as many of the 'ose' nutes. You don't have to use charcoal.

So on to your fruiting issue. Something I learned through my studies is not every Cordyceps militaris culture will fruit, even if it is of the same sub strain that has previously fruited. This could be what is going on if all your other parameters are in line.

How old is the culture? You have to get proven cultures into cold storage quickly after growing them out. I believe this to be best practice for any mushroom species but it is very critical for Cordyceps. Even sitting there at room temp for several days decreases the vigor of the culture. Cordyceps militaris loose vigor very quickly even a few transfers can leave you with a weak culture. Weak cultures are slow to fruit or may not fruit at all.

When you say months, how long exactly?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#105 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,300 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

post-147940-0-30850800-1476989714.jpg

We have signs of life! This is the whole rice/eggshell jar (please note the Rad Mycology flyer, mad props!). The LCs have life too, but not enough to photograph.

How long from inoculation to first signs of life ?

#106 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,300 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

Pretty nice bro . .
Found an related video

[Direct Link]

Very cool video. Looks like they were using a Tupperware type container filled with sorghum. Didn't look like there was a filter for gas exchange?? Maybe it wasn't needed. I have been experimenting with C. sinensis and using sorghum. Never had luck getting fruits, but never added larva. I did get cakes of mycelium harvested from a broth. dried then run through a coffee grinder and put in jell caps.
Looking forward to seeing results Cat, keep posting....... Cool thread.

Does the mycelium have the same or similar proprieties of the fruit body ?

#107 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

The mycelium changes color sometimes to that bright orange. My last run triched out.

Mold loves attacking it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!