Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Who knows about moccasin crafting!?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

Extradimentional Psilocypher

• Expired Member
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:05 PM

Here's the skinny....

Iv been wanting to learn how to make moccasins for a good while now, and have been doing my research.   Im actually learning leatherwork in general.

Things have finally constellated, and now I have all the supplies that I need....and by good fortune, was gifted a most excellent Bison hide! 

Now I really don't want to fuck them up, and am hoping that there are some Topiates up in the mix, that are skilled in the ways of Moccasin Craft.

Somebody Please Help   :weedpoke:

• Discretion and Heirloom like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,581 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

I have made quite a few moccasins in the past. There is not much complicated to it. The most important is to make your pattern out of something sturdier than paper. I used felt because it would hold the shape more like leather. I also prefer a heavy waxed thread for most of the stitching except what would be more decorative like the seam on the top of the foot.

Decide how long you want the tops as well. It would be worth the time to stitch the felt pattern to test for size adjustments, before you cut your hide.

I'm going to guess there will be a hundred u-tube how to vidios as well. We want to see pictures in the post what you create thread.........

• Teonanacatl38 likes this

#3 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

• Expired Member
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

http://ceruleanjay.b...-moccasins.html

I'm more or less working around this pucker toe pattern, although I have the feeling that what I'm going to be left with, will look highly unremarkable, and disturbingly nubile....especially if her picture at the top is accurate. 

Problem is...this pattern seems to be what's out there for the most part.  I'm concerned that the intricacies of my foot  will not come out in the end, and I will have shot an expensive Buffalo hide.

Do you recommend any patterns or web sights that offer reliable instructions?

I guess what I'm ultimately dealing with is a case of second-guessing myself, but not having an alternative approach  by which to triangulate where im trying to arrive at :mellow: 

• Skywatcher likes this

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,581 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:38 PM

I just looked around and there are a lot of patterns for sale,(tandy leather has some basic ones) and quite a few utube how to videos.

I snagged this one, in two parts, which is ery similar to how I used to make these. I liked the clean seams on the traditional styles. I did not ever get into beading as I prefered a simple looking leather.

You can ad lib and adjust the pattern to get neat top rolls around the upper edges. This is why I used felt. It was cheap but thick enough to mimic actual leather. A quick test stitch or tape would make sure a little more or less was not needed on any sides before you cut the real leather. Leather does stretch some, so if its a little tight it will adjust with wear. I totally recomend taking the time to add a thicker sole. I wore the bottoms out on some of my first long before the shoe should have been worn out.

Check this one out, part one and part two.

[Direct Link]

• Teonanacatl38, Juthro, Discretion and 1 other like this

#5 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

• Expired Member
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:02 AM

Your a badass Skywatcher...I want to reply, but this bubble hash has got me sideways :smoking-hookah:

Tomorrow...

Edited by Teonanacatl38, 19 October 2016 - 12:02 AM.

• Skywatcher and Discretion like this

#6 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

I really want to see your moc's.

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

Cool thread and totally cool subject, Teonanacatl38.

And you always manage to amaze me with your many skills and hobbies, Skye :)

A abstract thought brought about from my morning wake and bake..... I wonder if moose hide works well for moc's? I don't have any handy, but I know where to find some.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#8 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

• Expired Member
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

OK...

So  I did some fiddling last night, and realized that  my indecision was well placed :rolleyes: 

Sky - That video was excellent, and  gave me a whole new series of ideas.  All this marinating over different styles and techniques, is helping me to understand the substrate of designing patterns...and turning 2D into 3D is a trip.   I can feel some unknown cognitive muscle getting a workout...and I'm stoked to be learning and growing.

Iv actually put the leather aside for now, in favor of recklessly constructing new paper  templates, in order to solidify my grasp of the process.

I love your idea of using felt, for the mock-up, before going to leather.   

I'll keep posting as I figure this out, and would like to eventually provide some finished templates for the community here.

DIY :thumbs_up2: 

• Skywatcher and Discretion like this

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,141 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

Back when I used to go to the Oregon Country Fair there was someone making custom high top mocks.   I seem to remember that they made your mocks later at home and sent them to you.  What they did on the spot was make your pattern buy putting you in a pair of good fitting socks and wrapping the whole foot in the sock with duct tape, and then cut the pattern off on certain lines depending on the style.   After the mocks were made, they offered a couple different rubber sole compounds that they could apply to the bottoms for traction and wear.  I never got a pair because I was a poor boy.  But they were really nice and I would have if I could have.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!