Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Willow water agar plate additive. Anti fungal/anti microbial with natural growth hormone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hi, I recently realized something important.For a long time I have known of the antifungal /antimicrobial chemicals and growth hormone present in the bark and green growth of the Willow tree species.Having recently become interested in growing culinary mushrooms and finding that one can fruit mushrooms on innoculated Willow tree logs, it occurred me that the Willow water often used in horticulture to strike plant cuttings in an antifungal environment that encourages root growth could be used to make ant fungal/anti microbial agar plates with added growth hormone present. I haven't done this yet and it doesn't exist on Google searches. This is the first time that the method of Willow Water Agar plates has been broadcast to the Internet.
I did offer this information to a well known supply site in exchange for a few items but they weren't interested especially since they sell antimicrobial agar powder. So, now you can make your own. Providing you can find a Willow tree nearby.

The following writing is from a site called Deep Green permaculture. Just add the water to your agar plate recipe in place of straight water.

How to Make “Willow Water”

Here is the procedure for making willow water:

Collect young first-year twigs and stems of any of willow (Salix spp.) species, these have green or yellow bark. Don’t use the older growth that has brown or gray bark.
Remove all the leaves, these are not used. Don’t waste good green material though, compost the leaves or throw them in the garden as mulch.
Take the twigs and cut them up into short pieces around 1" (2.5cm) long.
The next step is to add the water. there are several techniques to extract the natural plant rooting hormones:
a) Place the chopped willow twigs in a container and cover with boiling water, just like making tea, and allow the “tea” to stand overnight.

b) Place the chopped willow twigs in a container and cover with tap water (unheated), and let it soak for several days.

When finished, separate the liquid from the twigs by carefully pouring out the liquid, or pouring it through a strainer or sieve. The liquid is now ready to use for rooting cuttings. You can keep the liquid for up to two months if you put it in a jar with a tight fitting lid and keep the liquid in the refrigerator. Remember to label the jar so you remember what it is, and write down the date you brewed it up, and to aid the memory, write down the date that it should be used by, which is two months from the date it was made!
To use, just pour some willow water into a small jar, and place the cuttings in there like flowers in a vase, and leave them there to soak overnight for several hours so that they take up the plant rooting hormone. Then prepare them as you would when propagating any other cuttings.
The second way to use willow water is to use it to water the propagating medium in which you have placed cuttings. Watering your cuttings twice with willow water should be enough to help them root.

The way that it works can be attributed to two substances that can be found within the Salix (Willow) species, namely, indolebutyric acid (IBA) and Salicylic acid (SA).

Indolebutyric acid (IBA) is a plant hormone that stimulates root growth. It is present in high concentrations in the growing tips of willow branches. By using the actively growing parts of a willow branch, cutting them, and soaking them in water, you can get significant quantities of IBA to leach out into the water.

Salicylic acid (SA) (which is a chemical similar to the headache medicine Aspirin) is a plant hormone which is involved in signalling a plant’s defences, it is involved in the process of “systemic acquired resistance” (SAR) – where an attack on one part of the plant induces a resistance response to pathogens (triggers the plant’s internal defences) in other parts of the plant. It can also trigger a defence response in nearby plants by converting the salicylic acid into a volatile chemical form.

When you make willow water, both salicylic acid and IBA leach into the water, and both have a beneficial effect when used for the propagation of cuttings. One of the biggest threats to newly propagated cuttings is infection by bacteria and fungi. Salicylic acid helps plants to fight off infection, and can thus give cuttings a better chance of survival. Plants, when attacked by infectious agents, often do not produce salicylic acid quickly enough to defend themselves, so providing the acid in water can be particularly beneficial.

Willow water can be made from cuttings of any tree or shrub of the willow family, a group of plants with the scientific name of Salix. The more cuttings that are used and the longer they are soaked in water, the stronger will be the resulting willow water. Recommendations for the exact method of soaking vary. Cold water can be used, and soaking times of four or more weeks are often quoted. Other gardeners use boiling water to steep the willow twigs and soak the mixture for around 24 hours.
  • Caretaker2012 likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

Welcome to Mycotopia Justintime! Nice write up, but I am confused to what you are growing on this "anti-fungal" agar. Is it for cloning plant material? If so this thread can get moved to Botanicals after your probationary period is up. I don't think a lot of people are going to be receptive to adding anti-fungal and plant growth hormones to agar if they are growing fungus on. Have you tested this idea at all, and do you have any results to add? Or is this and idea you have put together with facts you have gathered about willow water and Salic acid, etc? Please elaborate to what purpose this agar is for?

3XWebZk.png

Edited by coorsmikey, 22 October 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,727 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

Or possibly a home made clone x type gel?

Howdy and welcome.

#4 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

Hello.I googled Willow water agar plates and found nothing but today I actually found a thread mentioning the use of Willow water in conjunction with detergent to sanitize rye seed for spawn without pc use.

Yes some of the write up is quoted from the site mentioned.I know the quote speaks of it's uze for propagation of plant tissue but I put it up as it explains the decoction's chemical make up. I don't know if the natural growth hormone has any positive effect on mycelium growth. I put the assumption together that it more than likely works.
The two important points being that I do know that one can fruit mushrooms from inoculated willow logs. The other point being that Salyclic acid present in the bark and growth of the willow is antifungal ie trichoderma (lower fungi- mould).
The willow water decoction is heat resistant as it can be made by boiling thin branches and or soaking for two weeks. Therefore will withstand pressure cooking without detriment to the chemicals being made use of.
And so I intend to use it for the making of agar petri plates in order for tissue culture and spore innoculating medium.
Even though there are a few threads about. I didn't find one that was concluded. I will endeavor to post any results I have. Although I don't have equipment necessary to tell exactly how much of these natural chemicals will be in the agar mix,the mycelium I intend to grow may be very forgiving.

#5 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:46 AM

Also, thanks for the welcome Psy and Mikey.
Thinking about that. Of course, I suggested to someone recently to water their tranplanted cacti soil/ seed growing mix with the willow water to stave off fungal rot so I also don't see whyit wouldn't help to place a degrafted Lophophora straight onto agar made on this way, perhaps with a small dome over it. Although in that area I am inexperienced. Quite hard to find Lophophora or Pereskiopsis where I am.
I would try growing seed from willow water agar but of course the environment would be important to keep sterile for good measure.
Otherwise just water the seed growing medium with the concoction.

I'll endeavor to test this also.
Thanks for the welcome.

#6 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

I forgot I came here a while ago to post this. Well I had a huge jar of willow water in my cupboard for a few weeks too many. It began to grow trichoderma on the surface of the juice. I read that it's supposed to be used before two weeks after making it.

I'd still like to try out a few things with it.

I poured the old jiuce over a very old Trichocereus pachanoi cutting I had planted in the ground. It has two pups growing. I can't say that the juice is responsible for the new growth but it hasn't done any harm.

#7 JanSteen

JanSteen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

Willow water should contain some auxins, but the thing is: these degrade as soon as light hits them.
If you run a PC afterwards, nearly 95% of the active stuff will be gone. It would be a lot cheaper to buy some IBA-K from a webstore. The stuff sells at around 10 bucks for 5 grams, which is enough for about 10.000 litres of agar.

There is sallicylic acid in willow bark, but I'm not sure if that would be any better than regular pills (a dollar for 200 pcs) from the grocery store.
Plant preservative mixture (PPM) is not very expensive either, but it is heat resistant and a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Pups generally form with cytokinines instead of auxins. I'm thinking the juice isn't responsible for that, since it would have the opposite response.

Willow bark water is a nice addition sometimes though. It does contain some other silicium rich molecules that strengthen most plants.
  • Justintime likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!