247 replies to this topic

#241 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,183 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

So if you think waiting for Chinas is aggravating, wait until you fruit a PE substrain.

#242 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

So if you think waiting for Chinas is aggravating, wait until you fruit a PE substrain.

Not really aggravating, i dont mind waiting on a strain or species to update my library. Im not limited on time as you know. The China was a little over 3 weeks in fruiting before harvest. Now keep in mind several nights the temps dropped down into the mid 30's and the coldest temp recorded inside my greenhouse was 41° F so this delayed things slightly. I thought i spawned un January but went back and seen that i left for China 2 months ago so it was only 5 or 6 weeks colonizing which is very slow when im used to 10 days under ideal conditions and when working with a young vigorous culture and even at a low spawn ratio 1:3.

I suspect that PE and APE can be fruited almost as quick as any other cube strain which i will demonstrate or at least to demonstrate, i say with such confidence .......

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edited by Microbe, 18 April 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#243 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

PE can fruit just about as fast as any normal strain when cloned or perhaps isolated, IME

• Microbe likes this

#244 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,183 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

PE can fruit just about as fast as any normal strain when cloned or perhaps isolated, IME

IME it does what it wants. My current PEs are all cloned.  I even ran a 9 volt current through one.

In PE other news, I finally got one to print. Second flush does seem to drop more spores like @tv mentions here: https://mycotopia.ne...gain/?p=1262766

• Microbe likes this

#245 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

IME it does what it wants. My current PEs are all cloned. I even ran a 9 volt current through one.

In PE other news, I finally got one to print. Second flush does seem to drop more spores like @tv mentions here: https://mycotopia.ne...gain/?p=1262766
9 volt current probably wasnt very effective. Nice job getting them to drop some spores.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#246 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

I stumbled across this a few weeks ago shopping for some supplies.

Its corn cob bedding it has trace amounts of nutrition with fiber being the primary but im looking at it as a alternative to vermiculite and or coir.

First we need to look at the value. The bag of corn cob bedding i was looking at is 5.00 for 30lb bag versus a 8 qt bag of verm also at 5.00. How do you compare weight versus volume? Well this situation you can compare apples to walnuts. We all know that a 8 quart bag of verm is only a few pounds.

Corn cob bedding is very porous giving it more surface area helping to hold water making it ideal as a water reservoir in substrates.

I have not used it yet but i suspect that it is easy to prepare and can be pasteurized just like coir or verm.

If one were to still use the no fail tek, this bedding will be a great alternative especially if you milk jars, the cobs wont clog the sharp.

In summary i think this corn cob bedding (crushed) is a cheaper and just effective alternative to coir or verm and it is surely easier to prepare then coir respectively.

And like always, on the contrary, i would not use this as a casing layer and will still use coir as i dont believe the crushed corn cob would be a comparable alternative to coir in that aspect of it, it would be to difficult to be consistent in getting a nice even layer across the surface but i will attempt.

I have been phasing coir out because i dont like preparing it. It takes to long imo and its simpler to just soak straw for 1 hour then spin it a few times in a 5 galllon salad spinner then toss in dry composted cow manure. I love coir but im wired for efficiency... quickest and cheapest way without creating detriment results.

The bedding is not something im not going to implement into my processes and only going to work with it on a short term basis for my own education and knowledge of the shit. I may consider it to be a primary ingredient in outdoor beds once i get them going.

Anyway keeping it random....

3effa808e8f5430ce30281d0fd261da0.jpgbd6db353d2a97703267b0d7321ed9e84.jpg

Edited by Microbe, 21 April 2017 - 08:01 PM.

• Needles likes this

#247 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/(^ x ^)\

• OG VIP
  • 7,183 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

They'll drop a better print if weighed/pressed down. Here's what happened when I pressed it (left), in jar is unpressed:

post-147940-0-23224700-1492806630.jpg

Good looking on the corn bedding, it's renewable as opposed to vermiculite which is mined.

Attached Thumbnails

• pe print.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 21 April 2017 - 03:34 PM.

• Arathu, Needles and Microbe like this

#248 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,774 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Cool idea Microbe...............do post results..........

Good point Cat......not to mention one could also (assuming they have ground to do it) grow the corn themselves...........

But being a woodlover and getting older........I can appreciate things that take longer to do...........

I can see the day coming that the plastic bags and big chain stores are no longer involved..............

I'm thinking if the fungi can do it outside without "EasyMart".......then so can I.............

Maybe the fungi will EAT the "EasyMarts" and make DIRT!

A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advice, awesome

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!