327 replies to this topic

#241 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

So if you think waiting for Chinas is aggravating, wait until you fruit a PE substrain.

#242 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,660 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

So if you think waiting for Chinas is aggravating, wait until you fruit a PE substrain.

Not really aggravating, i dont mind waiting on a strain or species to update my library. Im not limited on time as you know. The China was a little over 3 weeks in fruiting before harvest. Now keep in mind several nights the temps dropped down into the mid 30's and the coldest temp recorded inside my greenhouse was 41° F so this delayed things slightly. I thought i spawned un January but went back and seen that i left for China 2 months ago so it was only 5 or 6 weeks colonizing which is very slow when im used to 10 days under ideal conditions and when working with a young vigorous culture and even at a low spawn ratio 1:3.

I suspect that PE and APE can be fruited almost as quick as any other cube strain which i will demonstrate or at least to demonstrate, i say with such confidence .......

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edited by Microbe, 18 April 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#243 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

PE can fruit just about as fast as any normal strain when cloned or perhaps isolated, IME

• Microbe likes this

#244 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

PE can fruit just about as fast as any normal strain when cloned or perhaps isolated, IME

IME it does what it wants. My current PEs are all cloned.  I even ran a 9 volt current through one.

In PE other news, I finally got one to print. Second flush does seem to drop more spores like @tv mentions here: https://mycotopia.ne...gain/?p=1262766

• Microbe likes this

#245 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,660 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

IME it does what it wants. My current PEs are all cloned. I even ran a 9 volt current through one.

In PE other news, I finally got one to print. Second flush does seem to drop more spores like @tv mentions here: https://mycotopia.ne...gain/?p=1262766
9 volt current probably wasnt very effective. Nice job getting them to drop some spores.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#246 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,660 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

I stumbled across this a few weeks ago shopping for some supplies.

Its corn cob bedding it has trace amounts of nutrition with fiber being the primary but im looking at it as a alternative to vermiculite and or coir.

First we need to look at the value. The bag of corn cob bedding i was looking at is 5.00 for 30lb bag versus a 8 qt bag of verm also at 5.00. How do you compare weight versus volume? Well this situation you can compare apples to walnuts. We all know that a 8 quart bag of verm is only a few pounds.

Corn cob bedding is very porous giving it more surface area helping to hold water making it ideal as a water reservoir in substrates.

I have not used it yet but i suspect that it is easy to prepare and can be pasteurized just like coir or verm.

If one were to still use the no fail tek, this bedding will be a great alternative especially if you milk jars, the cobs wont clog the sharp.

In summary i think this corn cob bedding (crushed) is a cheaper and just effective alternative to coir or verm and it is surely easier to prepare then coir respectively.

And like always, on the contrary, i would not use this as a casing layer and will still use coir as i dont believe the crushed corn cob would be a comparable alternative to coir in that aspect of it, it would be to difficult to be consistent in getting a nice even layer across the surface but i will attempt.

I have been phasing coir out because i dont like preparing it. It takes to long imo and its simpler to just soak straw for 1 hour then spin it a few times in a 5 galllon salad spinner then toss in dry composted cow manure. I love coir but im wired for efficiency... quickest and cheapest way without creating detriment results.

The bedding is not something im not going to implement into my processes and only going to work with it on a short term basis for my own education and knowledge of the shit. I may consider it to be a primary ingredient in outdoor beds once i get them going.

Anyway keeping it random....

3effa808e8f5430ce30281d0fd261da0.jpgbd6db353d2a97703267b0d7321ed9e84.jpg

Edited by Microbe, 21 April 2017 - 08:01 PM.

• Needles likes this

#247 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

They'll drop a better print if weighed/pressed down. Here's what happened when I pressed it (left), in jar is unpressed:

post-147940-0-23224700-1492806630.jpg

Good looking on the corn bedding, it's renewable as opposed to vermiculite which is mined.

Attached Thumbnails

• pe print.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 21 April 2017 - 03:34 PM.

• Arathu, Needles and Microbe like this

#248 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Cool idea Microbe...............do post results..........

Good point Cat......not to mention one could also (assuming they have ground to do it) grow the corn themselves...........

But being a woodlover and getting older........I can appreciate things that take longer to do...........

I can see the day coming that the plastic bags and big chain stores are no longer involved..............

I'm thinking if the fungi can do it outside without "EasyMart".......then so can I.............

Maybe the fungi will EAT the "EasyMarts" and make DIRT!

A

• mjroom likes this

#249 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,660 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

What do you guys/gals think about this canner. I was looking to purchase 2 more prestos but came across this and now im torn between the two.

I have developed a great working relationship with my P 24's but i really do like how the t-fal does not use a weight. I can also get it at the same price as the Presro at the moment as they are both have a reduced price at the moment on Amazon.

Thoughts or opinions? I know All Americans are the Cadillacs of canners and goes without saying .

[Direct Link]

• Needles likes this

#250 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

I think I would go with the presto because I can hear the rocker while I sit in the living room . I then set my timer and not have to watch my gauge to know when it gets to 15 psi.

This is a real nice thread you got here.

EDIT - how many years will an aluminum pressure work before needing replaced ?

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 28 April 2017 - 02:14 PM.

• Microbe likes this

#251 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,660 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:45 PM

Ok now im thinking about the AA 941! Anyone own one and answer some questions?

My Presto 24's hold 7 quart jars each and my while my Presto 16's hold 5 quart jars each.

This equates to me, and for my method of loading spawn bags, my 24's hold 7 bags loaded with 2 lbs of grain not fully expanded while my 16's hold 4 2 lb bags. Not a big difference in the 16's from jar to spawn bags but they are what i learned with.

My 16's have no pressure gauge which i love because i go off the gentle rocking and hissing while my presto 24's whip the weight around fast enough that if i installed some propellers, they would lift off to get the gauge to read 15 psi.Needless to say i keep the heat where i get a constant steady rock/spin and hiss but my gauge reads about 13 psi. I never have.

Whats weird is my 16 quart weights weigh less then the 24's. That tells me that i am not running my 16's at 15 psi or that my gauges on my 24's are off. Anyway i have no issues with contaminations so they work for me.

I know gauges need to be collaborated but this is how they functioned straight out of the box. Shit i never thought of that, in shipping a fragile instrument such as a gauge can be thrown off during shipping and handling by all parties ie manufacturer, transporter, retailer, and customer. I so have the equipment to collaborate a gauage, perhaps i should. Anyway i observe the weight, how it rocks is what lets me know its at 15 psi.

Ok back to what i want to know. I dont care about the presto 16's anymore they are of less value then a 24 quart or even a 6 or 8 quart presto (i forget which) because i can sterilize my agar and utensils in my 8 quart presto canners, yeah i have 2 of those also. The 16's do not get up to pressure in a significant increase amount of time while the 6 or 8 quarts smoke the 16. Based on this info it makes no sense to ever buy a presto 16 based on current market prices.

Shit like i said, the important question.....

My 24's hold 7 2 quarts (non expanded) hydrated soon to be spawn bags. I get 80-100% expansion during the steep but they expand a little more during the pc.

If the AA 941 holds 19 quart jars, is it possible to get 19 2lb soon to be spawn bags in there? I know it comes doen to dimensions and how i load them and for a example if i stand my spawn bags up on end, i can only fit a big fat 0 in my 16s while laying them flat in my 24's i can only get 6 which what i started doing. I stopped submerging half my spawn bags in water and have now elevated my canning rack and stopped impulse sealing my bags before the cook, its a long story i will explain later.

So @mycotopia does anyone use a AA 941 and how much grain can you run at once? I just want lbs or quarts because the amount of bags isnt relevant here....at least i dont think it is.

• MLBjammer likes this

#252 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

I know that kcmoxtractor uses some old gigantic PC that he got from Sandman, I think?  I would ask one of those two guys about the 941 (or industrial-size sterilization equipment in general).  I haven't seen KC around much at all, but Sandman has been around lately spreading his dreams, as it were.

Great thread, my friend.  As always, a boatload of good information, etc.  Keep up the good work!

• Microbe likes this

#253 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

You can run ~35lbs of dry grain (milo) with 12 large spawn bags in a 941.

• MLBjammer and Microbe like this

#254 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,731 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

You can run ~35lbs of dry grain (milo) with 12 large spawn bags in a 941.

Sterilization party at uncle microbe's house!
  • MLBjammer, Arathu, Tenderfoot and 1 other like this

#255 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

I just got a 55 gallon stainless drum and will be working on a boiler to drive it............I'm done fucking around.......

I'm gonna grow some serious fungus...........amongus.............gotta get greenhouse materials........

Full bellies from fungi and veggies ...........dirt piles for days............

A

Edited by Arathu, 29 April 2017 - 09:05 AM.

• Microbe, CatsAndBats and sparrow95 like this

#256 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,660 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Oh no another error. I get 7 quart jars in my 16 and i think 9 maybe in my 24's if i lay 2 flat in top i cant remember i have ran bags so long.

#257 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

you can get 10 qt jars, with 3 sideways on top in the 23 qt presto (wide mouth, it makes a difference I think)

• MLBjammer and Juthro like this

#258 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

And the AA 941 will hold 19qts, or 7 half gallon jars for a run (that is without placing any sideways on top)
  • MLBjammer likes this

#259 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

I was looking at an All American pressure canner on amazon today and it was cast aluminum, I thought they were stainless steel. If there aluminum why would I want to pay more than the 23qt presto?
  • Needles likes this

#260 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 840 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

I was looking at an All American pressure canner on amazon today and it was cast aluminum, I thought they were stainless steel. If there aluminum why would I want to pay more than the 23qt presto?

All Americans use a metal to metal seal. There is no gasket to go bad. The new AA canners now comes equipped with rocker style pressure regulators. I checked into it and a old style pressure safety valve can be exchanged. AA does not recommend that btw.
  • Heirloom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!