#41 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Not a single bag loss to contamination and man alive the smell in my laundry room smells like fabric softener and mushrooms! Hoping to spawn Sunday and Monday.

bb297f6d8e03540a437715f2057dfa27.jpg
  • Needles likes this

#42 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:33 PM

Give it time

#43 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

Give it time

Dude if Dr7on7 were here he would be trolling you...

#44 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:44 AM

Give it time

Dude if Dr7on7 were here he would be trolling you...

.??? Late on a Friday night and lost in a cloud.... But what???

#45 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:01 AM

You probably don't want to know, lol.

• Needles and CatsAndBats like this

#46 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:01 AM

Looks like you love your work, your lab is nicely organized.

• MLBjammer likes this

#47 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,002 posts

Donator

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:18 AM

love a thread with many photos. nicely done microbe.
  • MLBjammer and Juthro like this

#48 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

Is sarcasm trolling?
  • MLBjammer likes this

#49 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:36 AM

Is sarcasm trolling?

No you were not literally trolling me, i was being sarcastic as well.

#50 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

giphy.gif

• Newmusher and Microbe like this

#51 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

I spent 30 hours working on my steam pasteurization cabinet and decided right before i was ready to put the skins on it so i didnt get any of the first steps.

I estimate this contraption could easily run 200 lbs of substrate. Some already know this but i prefer steam pasteurization over any other method so to be this comes at a tremendous value.

If we were to use the analogy that the cab is the skeleton then the heart of the contraption is a 5 gallon steamer i made using a PP5 bucket, gamma seal lid, and a 115v water 1500 watt water heater element. The brain is a temperature controller hard wired between the power source and bucket. I do not have a photo at this time.

The unit can be placed in the bathtub where the water can run down or placed outside.

I took a shelving unit and using a torch i heated up the vertical supports and then pushed some cpvc elbows through. Drilling into this type of plastic is a nightmare.

Once in place i connected all the cpvc like legos and used only silicone just in case i ever needed to replace a member if i damaged it.

The cpvc has 3/32" holes drilled every inch including the vertical tube which is capped with a blob of silicone.

Here is it all naked.

bd289f1efee58ecc32af41618e8cf236.jpg

I used insulating foam board and wrapped the unit using a adhesive to hold it in place while i put screws in. The first hoke i pulled the washer and head of the screw through using just a screwdriver so i placed a piece of Gorilla Tape over the pre drilled hole which resolved the problem.

04cb32b112c6f45748e7533aeb5e3aec.jpg

Placed a face on it and cut out windows.

84c689709326bcef5077f338324fc486.jpg

Installed plastic flaps which are in place so that i can open one up and check core temps without loosing all the steam/heat.

This part was pita. I removed the face and then installed the strips using plastic pipe hanging tape. Without it the weight of the plastic strips woukd eventually tare and fall off. This plastic is what is used in loading docks or walk in coolers, it is very thick and dense. I had it laying around as i was going to drill a bunch of tiny holes and then lay it on top of my subs when running a mono.

e99d9c67911fa7e53691bd4c287b4ee4.jpg

aae409b011b934eda845eb68639133bd.jpg

06f643f0cd6cd1b519ab68b272b32ab1.jpg

Now i need to install a fitting to hook up a quick connect.

8cbcb1e6d39cebf7e03c0097ce900477.jpg

94859a6c332857c7de77275d2e53a072.jpg

Here it is. At this point i was going to wrap in a thick black plastic and then install 3 zippers and flaps, finish the windows with gorilla tape to make it clean because it is ugly but i decided not to at the moment because it is fully functional.

7d396a65ea407fa833c8f1f80864674e.jpg

I decided to throw a closet organizer cover over it instead which cleaned up tremendously. I will go back and do what i said i didnt do at some point. Hooked up my quick connect. The barbed fitting will stay on the thermal hose attached to my 5 gallon steamer. Now i need to start on my greenhouse because i will be ready to fruit in a week or so and i tore down the one i had build to build a safe saver but it will be wicked!

b1837242f7ffef148347d9a8f14b8f76.jpg

884565e04490ead1326cb43a6cbaa7ed.jpg

ffeae807714eb036b7b86a3d0230fe62.jpg
  • MLBjammer, CatsAndBats, mjroom and 1 other like this

#52 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

Nice work microbe. A very cool cabinet to pasteurize substrate. can't wait to see you put the steam to it bro. I know one thing, if I hooked that bad boy up in my wife's bath tub it wouldn't be pretty lol.....
  • Microbe, CatsAndBats and Lazerus00 like this

#53 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

Nice work microbe. A very cool cabinet to pasteurize substrate. can't wait to see you put the steam to it bro. I know one thing, if I hooked that bad boy up in my wife's bath tub it wouldn't be pretty lol.....

My wife is easily bribed.
  • MLBjammer and CatsAndBats like this

#54 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

Give it time

Loss 4 bags! Some type of black mold. It was the same culture from the same jar i g2g. Man alive if i would have selected that one to milk, complete disaster!
  • panaho likes this

#55 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

Culture it and train myc to eat it. GNOMESAYING?!
  • Gnomesayin likes this

#56 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

Lactobacillus

Several times I have used cow manure my subs smell slightly sour and i have documented this in a few threads. However i was never alarmed because a i quickly realized that that providing a some fresh air just 2 times a day eradicated this bacteria and at the time i did not know what bacteria it was other then that it was anaerobic because of how i eradicated it. I will soon discover that it is a facultative anaerobic and it this that will puzzle me for awhile.

I had also stated a few times in previous threads that some of my best fruits sprung to life from substrates that contained manure and specifically composted cow manure or CCM. So im actually excited about the sub prep.

Friday evening i pasteurized my substrate @ 175° F for approximately 6 hours. I fell asleep as i wasnt feeling good. Last night and approximately 20 hours from the time i shut my steamer off, i went to spawn and there was the familiar smell.

The sub temp was still around 115° F but quickly cooled down when i removed them from the tub and opened them up to mix. The temp and long cool down process as @cue and @catattack like to call it, will soon be discovered to result in the formation of this odor causing bacteria. I never spawn the same day and always have to wait anywhere from 1-3 days before i find time to do it, unless im on vacation so all this time i have been utilizing the ling cool down process and not realizing it.

Being in nerd mode i wanted answers, i wanted the why behind the why. So i begin to do some research whenever and wherever i can rather its on my phone real quick when passing by my office, on a computer at a desk i may be passing by, on a break, and etc so as of right now my research is limited and spotty as many know when you start researching seeking info it leads you into more research and seeking more info. Make sense? It is nonlinear and goes on for infinity IMO. Point is my research is not complete.

So my initial research brought me to the conclusion that i am breeding a thermophilic bacteria of the lactobacillus genus.

Lactobacillus is a genus of Gram-positive, facultative anaerobic or microaerophilic, rod-shaped, non-spore-forming bacteria. Straight from wiki....

What it looks like. Once i get caught up getting some cultures stored i will attempt to gram stain and view under a scope to verify.

93b83108dc7a7edf4b7daa2d3a936fcb.gif

Lactobacillus is a facultative bacteria. This means that it is capable of aerobic and anaerobic respiration. However it prefers aerobic respiration and will typically be found at the top of a substrate. It feeds on the ammonia in the manure and releases readily available nitrogen and then uses this nitrogen and other amides and converts it into proteins. Finally the metabolites are also full of proteins.

It is a thermophilic bacteria or a thermophile, a term that @catattack has mentioned. It optional temperature range is 115 to 140 degrees and its thermal death temp exceeds that of pasteurization temperatures. So a long cool down makes sense. I bet my subs stay between 115-140 for at least 12 hours.

With the nutrient assistance and proven anti-bacterial properties this is a very beneficial organism and should be a targeted to propagate during pasteurization and should be of interest to many growers. Culturing this bacteria is easily done and then it can be added to any substrate. This will be demonstrated at a later date.

Why have my best fruits come from manure substrates that have had lactobacillus colonies in it? Im not talking about manure based but again, manure that developed lactobacillus. Although this bacteria does compete with the mycelium for the carbohydrates, it does increase the nutritional value of the substrate. How much is put back versus taken? I dont know.

So we could speculate that it is a result of increased nutrition in the form of proteins. Some may know that bacteria stimulate hyphae growth. Is this one of those bacterias? We know that mycelium is hyphae colonies and that the fruits are matted condensed mycelium but it is all still hyphae. So could there be stimulation happening through chemical signals resulting in larger, greater quantity, more dense, and healthier fruits?

So that light sour smell that goes away after a few days of fanning and considering it is facultative, why has the odor gone away? Im starting to think what is happening is that when i load my bags, i wist them then place a releasable cable tie on them. When the temperature reaches 115 and up through 140, bacteria is starting to grow quickly and then when in begins to cool, i think this is when the most growth takes place as it will remain between 115 and 140 much longer during the cool down process and the odor builds up.

When placing into a mono tub for example, it might take a few days at room temp for it build back up to a level that it begins to smell. The fanning begins and the odor dissipates again and not to ever come back, at least for me anyway. I think this is because by this point the mycelium is taking completely over and beginning to consume the bacteria. It eats the organism that protects it.

Anyway i believe that some of the harder to grow indoor fruits can be fruited prolifically by creating a symbiotic relationship between the bacteria and mycelium. For example there has to be another organism and more then likely a bacteria that is found in the river mudd and sand mixed in with woody debris that Psilocybe Cyanescens grow in.

I will circle back to this in the future.

Edited by Microbe77, 18 December 2016 - 07:23 PM.

• MLBjammer, Needles, panaho and 2 others like this

#57 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

Starting to recover after 24 hours. Tubs were spawned @ 1:3 while sub is 2 quarts straw, 1 quart coir, and 1 quart CCM.

a87cdfbd090cbeb57e0a807c2e77c377.jpg

4900312ea006be67b55dd8dcc44a9a50.jpg

These bags are awesome for fruiting in if you like making your own he filters. I did not enjoy fruiting in the unicorn .5 micron filter patch bags. I paid 80.00 for 1000 of them. With a 6" sub you still have 16" of overhead for the fruits.

50af94344159906745b271b59a8e1f89.jpg

5cdb0b67a2274191a8909dc9f9c2fbca.jpg

Substrate bags. 1000 of these were also about 80 bucks. Neither of these can withstand temps above 200.00 so they will not work for grain spawn.

ebe49ee0ea39e4486dbd7e2b3b8ee854.jpg

Like i said randoms. I did get the scope out last night and needles gave me a crash coarse. If everything goes as planned, i will be attempting my first gram stain and observation in a attempt to identify a thermophilic bacteria.
  • MLBjammer, Needles, Heirloom and 2 others like this

#58 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

Looks like your grain spawn is recovering very quickly Microbe, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with to get photos of your stains.... Once again, nicely done......
  • MLBjammer and Microbe like this

#59 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

One of my thoughts on the long cool down is to encourage a range of thermophiles to sex.

Good stuff microbe. Keep up the good work. Citizen science executed flawlessly.

Edited by catattack, 20 December 2016 - 08:43 AM.

• Microbe likes this

#60 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,006 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Culture #4 is showing the characteristics of the B+ strain i had. We will find out soon enough.

df466dd5f10db149ec003a6cb385dbda.jpg
  • Newmusher, CatsAndBats and Jeepster like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!