• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 mycologist799

mycologist799

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:32 PM

Just starting my own Salvia thread to detail my study of the plant over time. I had some years ago but life happened and I let it go. I started again this past July with one cutting. Now there are 9 plants. I don't know what I'll do with them? I guess we will find out .....One observation I have already made is that they seem to prefer rich soil over coco coir by far. You can see the leaf in the soil is much better looking and that plant was only rooted a month ago. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161101_192805.jpg
  • 20161101_192815.jpg

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Heirloom and 4 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,055 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:27 PM

I'm looking forward to your updates 799. I have little experience with salvia, but your cuttings look like they are off to a good start. Any growing perimeters you want to share will be appreciated. 

Temperature and humidity and lighting are all things I would be interested in getting your feedback on.

Good growing vibes to you.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

9 cuttings from another cutting since July? Awesome. Better rent a warehouse :)

I hear that rolling a few of the leaves up in a cigar shaped package and leaving it between cheek and gum for as long as you have patience, swallowing the juices as they develop, then chewing the leaves and swallowing the resultant liquid

is a very gentle come-up, and much gentler ride than inhaling them, and that one can make sense of the experience whereas the smoking route is just fucking nuts.

• Skywatcher, SteampunkScientist and skunk like this

#4 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,513 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

My current experiments show that smoking it with a bit of cannabis mitigates some of the more "crazy" aspects of the come-up. Still, fresh leaves seems like a real good and more natural way to go...  Reading this with interest!

• Skywatcher and skunk like this

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

it just occurred to me that eating raw leaves might subject you to bacteria or insects or stuff

how would one work around that and still consume fresh leaf????

• Skywatcher likes this

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,055 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:37 PM

it just occurred to me that eating raw leaves might subject you to bacteria or insects or stuff

how would one work around that and still consume fresh leaf????

How do you like to prepare salad? Rinsing the leaves should be adequate preparation.

• DarkLestor, SteampunkScientist and tailsmcsnails like this

#7 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,513 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:48 PM

Rinse with hydrogen peroxide if you want to remove bacteria, although just a rinse like Skye said should be fine, and if you have grown your own leaf and have not used pesticides then there should be no issue I would think.

#8 mycologist799

mycologist799

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Grown in a controlled environment I would not worry about bacteria or anything. Mine grow between 50% and 70% humidity and do just fine. I do not recommend rooting in water because the stem will start to curl. just like shown here moist soil and a humidity dome are all that is needed. Very rarely have I ever had a problem with rot. I have noticed that they do prefer soil to coco coir. With them less light is better. I keep even fluorescent lights at least a foot away. The nodes will stay about 1 inch apart like that. If I put my lights any closer than that I will start to see the leaves turn red from to much light.

• Skywatcher likes this

#9 JanSteen

JanSteen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

I used to have a few as houseplants. They "harden off" pretty easily and survived at 15-27 degrees C in my bedroom, with varying humidities. Once they become established, they can pretty much handle everything. Except long droughts.. Damnit, I wish my vacation 2 years ago was just a week shorter in length! It killed my plant. I killed my plant.

It's nice to see some people still grow them. Salvia is a great mild antidepressant, just 3-4 leafs will boost your mood by a bit. Too bad we can't get the cuttings anymore around here.

I'm sending you good vibes, and all the best with these pretty plants!
  • mycologist799 likes this

#10 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,513 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

Salvia is a great mild antidepressant, just 3-4 leafs will boost your mood by a bit.

Ah, yeah... she has taken me to some pretty weird and sometimes dark places.

Last night I had a salvia dream. Well, I mixed cannabis and mugwort with it, but... anyway... I was with a beautiful woman in bed (I'm sure you can imagine the rest) and... suddenly there I was holding a gun in the mouth of a huge angry boar. And a bunch of smaller ones were biting me. I went to shoot but the gun was unloaded, and I could see the bullets in the mouth of the thing....

And that was one of the tamer visions. So even with my previous comment, Salvia is not a tame spirit in any way shape or form.

That dream has a significane for me. It's telling me there is partner out there for me but I'm getting distracted with a lot of piggish, angry things.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 07 November 2016 - 08:31 PM.

• Sidestreet, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#11 JanSteen

JanSteen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:08 PM

Salvia has never taken me that far off the world. Heck, not even a feet off the ground. I tried extracts, as well as chewing 15 grams of plant material, or smoking a gram of leafs.. But it never had any noticeable effect to my experience.
Friends who did the same, had very vivid trips.

To me salvia became something like a mild stimulant. Mixed with some coffee, it was a great hangover-cure for nearly any hangover except the ones from alcohol+things. It didn't cure anything of course, but it makes days like that a lot easier to swallow. Upbeat moods and happy days, that's all I can remember. :-D

#12 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,513 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:35 PM

Jan, that is weird, because for me it's akin to a full on DMT trip, but nothing like dmt which ive written about in another thread, but I haven't tried anything like the amounts your speaking of!

#13 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,455 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

I had a few cuttings ages ago, like 2006. I found a kind soul to mail me a few and I think three of them survived. I was leaving them outside in the hot humid summer, but we got an early frost and two died. Oddly enough, the one cutting survived.

Unfortunately, I didn't take well enough care for the one cutting and it didn't make it indoors when it started getting too cold outside.

I never got to do this with my one remaining cutting, but just so you know you can prune the vine by pinching off new leaf buds to cause it to grow more outward and 'bushy' instead of having it grow into a very long, unwieldy vine.

Hopefully, one day, I get a chance to try to cultivate a few more cuttings, only this time life won't get in the way as I understand just how important it is to take regular care of this plant teacher.

I'd only ever tried a quid held in the mouth once, but it was with dried leaf I'd purchased online. Nothing much happened. My only true Salvia experiences were with smoking 6x extract. I'll never forget my first experience. It was my first introduction to anything other than alcohol and cannabis. It showed me that there was much more going on behind the scenes and it showed me things that I never before thought were possible to behold.

I believe I'd try Salvia again if I could cultivate it myself and try, after allowing the plant to grow enough while training it to be more 'bushy' than 'viney', a fresh quid of leaves.

It seems that, these days, if you find a place to get Salvia extract online they have crazy irresponsible potencies. That 6x extract was enough to bring me to another dimension. I'd hate to find out what 20X and beyond would do, and now that I'm much older I definitely have no interest in trying it!

But yes, if I could go back and do it again with my cutting I would delicately and slowly prune it in order to train it to grow wider and fuller instead of letting it grow longer and longer as a vine.

#14 panaho

panaho

Keyboard Krusader

• Free Member
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:42 PM

I tried salvia once 20X ... blacked out after one hit walked 20feet.  make it illegal.

#15 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,513 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:50 AM

I tried salvia once 20X ... blacked out after one hit walked 20feet. make it illegal.

I'm sorry, no. I completely disagree with you I'm afraid. I have the right to experiment with my consciousness using whatever method, or substance that I wish. I also bear the full consequences of that action as well. I nor anyone else need some moribund beurocratic agency telling me what I can or cannot do with my mind and body.

We owe no alegences to god or governments unless we personally choose them.

Salvia is a teacher plant, you may not personally like it, and that's fine. But we need no one standing between us and it. I shall pay them no heed.

Also I think taking 20x extract was foolhardy at best. 5x is far too hard in any more than 1 hit for me, but it works, and shows many things.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 18 November 2016 - 12:50 AM.

• Coopdog, pharmer, Heirloom and 4 others like this

#16 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,934 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:23 AM

I  wouldn't take anything with out doing some research so I know what to expect.

I never tried Salvia and am afraid to smoke any.

• Coopdog likes this

#17 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,455 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

I always enjoyed my 6x Salvia extract experiences, but then again I looked at the following link on Erowid.org to determine an approximate dosage by using a scale to measure it:

https://erowid.org/p...lvia_dose.shtml

It lists approximate dosage guidelines for 5x extract. Of course, these days the extract concentrations are fucking ridiculous, but let's say I got something reasonable like 10x (Hah!). I'd simply do simple math and cut the dose in half, or I'd try to do my absolute best in measuring, and then take a bit out, then re-weigh it, write it down, and just try that and see where it gets me, being on the very conservative side.

From there on, I'd be able to slowly over time work my way up to figure out a mostly appropriate weight for dosing.

With a quick web search, I do see that less than 10x is available if you look. Also, you can purchase dried salvia divinorum leaf and make your own extract quite easily with guides that are available online.

You really do only need a little bit, and using a butane torch lighter is best because of the higher temperature required to vaporize Salvinorin-A from what I can recall from memory.

It's a powerful experience, but if you read a lot about it online and learn how to go about it in a safer, responsible manner, in a proper setting, with the proper preparation, you can have a fairly interesting, and possibly rewarding and non-crazy non-pants-shitting experience.

You can also use plain leaf with a butane torch lighter for a milder experience, and if you wanted more you can make your own extract.

If you're respectful of this plant teacher you can gain something from it.

It's going to the crazy high extracts that will get you into trouble.

Edited by niemandgeist, 18 November 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#18 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,079 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

I would love to have a couple of cuttings. Once the weather warms up I would be willing to discuss a trade maybe if some kind soul might have some good cuttings available.

• Heirloom , wharfrat and niemandgeist like this

#19 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,078 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:01 PM

i have a couple plants indoors, they grow like weeds and really like light. I have them in a south facing window and they cant get enough.. i really dont want to put them under artificial light as most of those are being used.. I take it these are a more tropical or warmer climate plant.. any tips on how to keep them under control indoors?

I would love to have a couple of cuttings. Once the weather warms up I would be willing to discuss a trade maybe if some kind soul might have some good cuttings available.

i can help ya out with that  :biggrin:

• Coopdog, Heirloom , niemandgeist and 1 other like this

#20 panaho

panaho

Keyboard Krusader

• Free Member
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:30 PM

When I was a kid ii heard all sorts of stories about LSD and stuff , how speed kills , only dopes use dope, etc. One story in particular was about LSD making you think you can fly. Thus finding bodies squished on the pavement.. After taking salvia the first time ,the black out  for a time reminded me immediately of that story, because prior to coming to I had walked twenty five feet, I feel only that somebody fooled somebody else ,saying try this., because the experience was for me the same almost as LSD except for the walking blacked out. I can see somebody lying to someone else especially in this age and world. Up on a roof top of a tall building kicking back during the 60's ... if I 'd had some salvia and been up on a roof I would have not known what I was doing by the time I walked that distance. I was lucky in that I was indoors .

• Coopdog, Heirloom and niemandgeist like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!