#41 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,199 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

Hashman:  Have you ever heard of this?  From Dr. Bergman?  Your thoughts?

Splitting the stem

There is one method of increasing the yield of your marijuana plants that not everyone knows about — splitting the stem. This will help your plants’ buds be heavier and denser and will improve THC production as well.

This technique is exactly what it sounds like — it involves splitting the stem of your marijuana plant right at the bottom. It likely originated in China and Southeast Asia.

split-stem-more-thc-300x300.jpg split-the-stem-increase-yield-300x300.jp split-the-stem-300x300.jpg

To be successful with the stem splitting technique, start out by tying the stem right at the base, just above the soil. Tie a second rope or cable tie a couple inches above that. Take a very sharp knife and cut from the top tie to the bottom tie. There should be one vertical cut that is a few inches in length.

The knife should remain inside until you have a pencil, chopsticks, or other objects to replace it with to keep both sides of the marijuana plant from touching each other. Remove the knife partially and rotate it to allow the chopstick or pencil enough space. Leave the ties in place, so the damage does not spread.

how-to-split-stem-300x300.jpg Tie ropes or cable ties splitting-the-stem-300x300.jpg Cut with knife split-the-stem-how-300x300.jpg Place pencil or chop sticks

The thing about splitting the stem is that it is a tricky technique to master, so you should only try it on one plant per growing season until you are confident you’ve gotten it down. Apply this technique a few days or a week before harvest, not sooner.

Is splitting the stem something you’ve heard of before or are you going to try it?

Edited by Seeker2be, 28 February 2017 - 02:05 PM.

• wildedibles and Lakegal7 like this

#42 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

I've seen it but I'd be afraid to try it on these as they have pretty much hollow stems
maybe someday I'd like to see someone else in an sucsseful grow do it first

Do you have any pics of the tops of those split stem plants?
  • wildedibles and Heirloom Spores like this

#43 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

I'm familiar with DR Bergman, I bought his OG Kush seeds , several were cracked on arrival.
one did not germinate out of two and I have 2 seeds yet to grow.

The problem I have with bergman is the chinese bank that drained my account, the cracked seeds. My secure account through hushmail warned me that my location could be determined if I opened dr.bergmans email to me.

I wanted nothing to do with bergman, he might offer good info but my experience , I will
never have contact with him.

If bergman wants to make it right then he could of answered my email in an honest way
and  refunded my account several hundred dollars.

Attached Thumbnails

• AAAJust show 001.JPG
  • AAAJust show 004.JPG
  • AA YY 001.JPG

• Hash_Man, wildedibles and Lakegal7 like this

#44 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

I am about to harvest the og kush I got from bergman, has no great smell, its earthy, Though it is rock hard

I expect to harvest a half ounce from the first plant of bergmans ogkush. I can't say how the final taste and high are.

I am not a bergman fan based on my experience. Pics in my grow thread.

#45 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

Plants are looking great, Hash! I think I might try a 36 hour dark period on my next go round... seems like it worked well for you!

If I would have known about that stem splitting thing maybe I would have tried it when I split my main stem lol what's the science behind this idea? Distributing water/nutrients more evenly?? I'm not sure I can think of anything else...

#46 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,199 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

Not a Bergman advocate just saw this tek and wondered.   I would consider drilling the base of an outdoor plant nearing mature fruiting.

• Heirloom Spores and Lakegal7 like this

#47 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

I apologize for being harsh on bergman. 

I have heard about girdling. I read that this was done to the old Colombian gold before harvest. That old gold was top quality cannabis.

Robert Clarke the cannabis botanist mentions a method similar to stem splitting using a rock , nails,
to impale the stem. There is no evidence that this really increases THC production. I bet stem splitting does go back to Asian folk methods as Clarke mentioned opium being used on the plant.

In general for a plant to do its best most believe the plant will be most potent and yield the most if the plant is healthy. Which makes sense.

Clarke mentions companion planting to increase essential oils, this works with herbs and other plants.

I would love to learn to increase yields, potency and flavor, but I have a feeling that a healthy plant will produce as good as it can.
Stress on plants is said to increase flavor and THC but I don't believe its a good way to go.

I got a plant I could try splitting the stem on but don't have a control plant next to it to compare to. I would like to hear from those who have done this and how it compared to plants not split.

• Seeker2be and Lakegal7 like this

#48 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

good hypothesis, thats what I thought but all stoped stretching and not all are root bound and the lemon pheno is definitely not rootbotund.
I tend to believe the 36-hour dark period before flip had something to do with the slow/stop stretching, dude said to be prepared to veg longer cuz it will stop the stretch in its tracks and they would start flowering faster which seems like the case here not that I want shorty's, hell not!

LOL that's sawdust the specks on the leaves, I knocked as much off as I could but it's not hurting anything, I don't think

it doesn't have to be "root bound", just full of roots; basically don't transplant then immediately flower.

roots, just like foliage, will grow at a different rate from one plant to another, so each plant will reach

a different root density in a given time period. the concept of a plant even being "root bound" isn't

accurate IMO, i think it's perpetuated by companies who want to sell more soil and growers who don't

have the time to water once or more daily or expertise to set up a drip system. being "root bound"

is supposed to kill plants ("oh no, can't have that happen, must buy more medium and a bigger container!"), 

here's the reason why i'm saying what i'm saying and challenging your thought process-

you haven't separated the variables. 

our experiences have two things in common- reduced stretch, fully colonized root zones 

i can see your roots have fully colonized those containers, and in that volume of medium

it probably takes only 3-5 days before they're fully colonized and ready to go.

they vary in one aspect- 36 hours of darkness

if you can transplant an OG kush from a dixie cup into 3g of soil, put it in 36 hours of darkness,

flower it, and still show reduced stretch, cool. that means both methods are effective at reducing

flowering stretch. but even when you do that dixie ->3g (w/36 hrs of darkness) you have to do 

one without 36 hours of darkness or it's just a method, not an experiment. experiments REQUIRE

controls!

try transplanting into a larger (3+ gallons) container, then giving 36 hours of darkness. 

at the same time, transplant the same clone into the same volume of medium and don't 

give them darkness. 

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#49 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Thanks KC,

Your right, I expected to keep them small single colas but tall but things changed on the way to the flea circus as I also wanted to show the usefulness of super-cropping I was to have many of those small drink bottles in a very small space, you know a SOG but grown taller trying to emulate DrBudGreenjeans over on ICMag single cola perpetual SOG grow who use 16 oz plastic pop bottles and going 18" (mine are 18 oz but narrower and yeah he was using a sativa dominant strain, the small size bottles was to keep them from growing to big and it worked for him so yea strain specific.

I just thought it was peculiar that mine seemed to halt at 10 inchest
thanks for the kind criticism but really it's not going to be that bad most my pots have four and five tallish branches ea. so not complaining they're actually put on an inch to a inch and a half last night (pictures below) so if they stopped right here I'd still be happy with that, making potentially about 18 flowering branches in a 18 by 7 inch space in my grow.

Edit: just counted, 20 flowering branches.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170301_180034.jpg
  • 20170301_180332.jpg
  • 20170301_180408-1.jpg
  • 20170301_180152-1.jpg

Edited by Hash_Man, 01 March 2017 - 08:11 PM.

• wildedibles, Heirloom Spores and Lakegal7 like this

#50 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Root bound plants in Styrofoam containers.

I transplant and let them grow for a while until I get cuts.

I agree don't put them into flower right away, let them grow
into the new container.

Attached Thumbnails

• ARootbound 003.JPG
  • ARootbound 001.JPG
  • ARootbound 004.JPG

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 01 March 2017 - 08:11 PM.

• Hash_Man likes this

#51 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

I guess I should if I haven't already mentioned that this is a micro grow

#52 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

Day 14

Tops are 13 in. pretty beefy branches on most

20170304_173421.jpg 20170304_173357-1.jpg 20170304_173352-1.jpg
  • mate0x and wildedibles like this

#53 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

Day 14

Tops are 13 in. pretty beefy branches on most

20170304_173421.jpg 20170304_173357-1.jpg 20170304_173352-1.jpg
  • wildedibles, Juthro and Lakegal7 like this

#54 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Lookin good :) I wish I could smell them ......I had a lemon smelling one last summer loved that smell in the sunshine :)
  • Hash_Man likes this

#55 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

Lookin good :) I wish I could smell them ......I had a lemon smelling one last summer loved that smell in the sunshine :)

Yea right now these smell like sweet lemon/grapefruit rind with dank ceder undertones
  • mate0x and wildedibles like this

#56 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

nice .....I think thew smells have a lot to do with the terpenes I'm trying to get to know the flavors better....

#57 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Yes Wildes, for years I've been discribing that ceder smell as an old closet smell (lol) then seen in some discriptions people were saying 'ceder' in their discription, then it came to me 'that's the smell'! in the past I've grown 'Satori' and some of its pheno's has that same 'dank ceder' smell I use to also referred to it as 'old clothes' so that's also ceder in my mind.

Edited by Hash_Man, 07 March 2017 - 07:04 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#58 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,592 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:12 AM

Pulling up the proverbial chair. Looking nice.

• Hash_Man likes this

#59 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,122 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Starting 4th week flower

20170312_202802-1.jpg 20170312_202613.jpg 20170311_202611-1-1.jpg
  • mate0x, ethnobotanist420, Heirloom Spores and 1 other like this

#60 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

Looking good man! I love those soft white hairs...
  • Hash_Man likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!