#41 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,298 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:55 AM

In your pictures they do not look to be evading each other or even retreating. The hyphae have certainly passed the natural zone and i speculate that each will halt or overrun the other. Break out one of your other bad ass scopes and capture the clamp connection.
Yeah you will.....

I have one slide that should be binding tomorrow. I have it sitting on my phase contrast microscope. It is very cool the way the mycelium looks...
  • Microbe likes this

#42 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

post-147940-0-23540900-1485783639.png

You can play the lotto too.

Attached Thumbnails

• microbe.PNG

Edited by catattack, 30 January 2017 - 08:41 AM.

• Microbe likes this

#43 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Wow! From all that you received the the infamous "666" recognition! You have been around much longer then I so you know thats celebrated around here. Im surprised hyphenation hasnt showed up with his devil tongue gif! Damn i pissed rught now! I need to go punch my fucking dog in the snout right now and tell her to stop eating poop. I will be back.
Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

No need to kick the dog lol it's all good...... Funny how our pets like to eat poop lol I would watch our jack eat horse poo then I would tell her to go give mommy a kiss lol.....
868a313f47de87ceb8e48d33e082269d.jpg

Not to chamge the course of this thread but why do dogs eat poop? I really do want take some leather to my dog when she does this but i would never abuse her unless she bit one of us.

#44 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

found here: http://www.dogpoopdi...-dogs-eat-poop/looks like they're selling something so take it with a grain of salt, but I like their first answer

5 Reasons Why Dogs Eat Poop

why-do-dogs-eat-poop.png

Like humans, dogs each have their own motives for their individual behavior. Dogs eat poop for various reasons, based on their age, their training, their living conditions and their diet. There are basically 5 different classifications, or reasons that your dog may be eating poop.

Your Dog Was Born to Eat Poop!

Before dogs were domesticated they were scavengers, living off of whatever they could find. Dogs commonly fed on the waste of other animals (and other dogs) thousands of years ago. Poop eating may just be a remnant of dog history.

In certain situations, as with a newborn litter of puppies, eating poop is instinctual and completely normal. A mother with pups is wired to keep her den clean so as not to attract predators with scent cues. Thus, she quite often will clean up after her young by consuming their poop.

For households with multiple dogs there is often a pecking order of dominant and submissive roles. Submissive dogs will sometimes eat the stool of their dominant counterparts.

Dogs Are “A” Students

Dogs pick up things quickly and will often learn things that you don’t want them to. For instance, consider a dog that is punished for a housebreaking accident. If he is punished by having his nose rubbed in poop (which is absolutely not a good way to deal with the problem) he may try to “dispose of the evidence” the next time around.

If you clean up after your dog while he looks on, he may misunderstand your intent and try to copy your actions in some fashion by “picking up after himself”. Your dog might also see other dogs eating poop and learn the behavior from them.

For puppies, eating feces may simply be a learning experience. Puppies learn things by putting nearly everything that comes in front of them in their mouth. Most puppies will develop a distaste for poop in fairly short order. So, if your dog is a puppy, you can relax… chances are that they will change their behavior in due time. Just make sure you keep an eye on things and try to remove waste whenever possible so that your dog doesn’t develop bad habits.

Why You Should Take Your Poop Eating Dog to the Vet

If your dog eats poop, you should make sure it’s not because of a health issue. Some dogs will start eating poop when they aren’t absorbing enough nutrients, they have parasites, or they have issues with their pancreas. All coprophagic dogs should be examined by a veterinarian. Please read my other post on coprophagia and dog health.

Another, rather interesting phenomenon is when multiple dogs are in the same household and one gets sick, the healthy dog will sometimes eat the feces of the unhealthy dog. This may be an instinctual reaction to hide the weaker dog from “predators” much as a mother does with pups (see the section on instinct below).

Why Your Dog Sometimes Prefers Poop to Dog Food

A dog’s digestive system is dependent on a specific mix of enzymes to break down carbohydrates, proteins and fats. There is some evidence that suggests that dog digestive systems haven’t quite caught up to modern diets that include less animal protein and far more carbohydrates and plant proteins. Some veterinary nutritionists have suggested that dogs eat stool to replenish enzymes so that they are better prepared to digest their food.

There is also evidence that dogs that aren’t getting enough of certain nutrients will resort to eating poop. A lack of vitamin B is often said to be a cause of coprophagia.

Another common theory is that overfeeding a dog can lead to coprophagia. A dog that is overfed can’t absorb all of the nutrients in his food, and thus may try to “recycle” his nutrient rich waste.

Neglectful Parents

In many cases, a dog’s behavior can be linked directly to the owner’s behavior. Many dogs will eat stool simply for the attention that they get from their owner. Negative attention is still attention, and owners who scold their dogs for the behavior will quite often only reinforce it.

Dogs that are bored and lonely may play with and eat stool as a pastime. And, some dogs may resort to eating stool because they are not getting enough real food. If a dog’s living area is not kept clean, some dogs will resort to their own “housekeeping” efforts by eating stool.

Edited by catattack, 30 January 2017 - 03:53 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#45 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,298 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

Ok back on track, I believe I located strands of hyphae from both strains of mushrooms connecting.

Pardon the shakie lines I used a stylus and pad. Anyway the green line is H. marmoreus and the blue is H. tessulatus and the red arrow points to the connection. It almost looks like a drop of glue, I believe that is metabolic fluid. There is another spot towards the top that looks like another connection on the same strand. When working with photography like this there is very little depth of field or sharp focus so I did the best I could on this image.
image.jpeg

I am adding a micrograph of the leading edge of hyphae growing out looking for nutrients.
image.jpeg

I have learned a lot from this experiment and am getting ready to do it again. I will come back with a stained sample that may be easier to identify what I believe is metabolic fluid being secreted from the mycelium.
  • Microbe and Heirloom like this

#46 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

I remember reading that one method for obtaining monokaryotic mycelium involves serial dilution of spore water until there are so few spores that you will only get a handful of germination points on an agar plate.  That way you can keep the mycelium from a single spore separate from the others until you are ready to combine them.

The American Type Culture laboratory I believe sells cultures started from single spores.  Its only a guess but I'm thinking they probably use high powered microscopes and other high tech gadgets to accomplish this.

I haven't looked at their site in a while as I found they were out of my price range.

• Microbe and Heirloom like this

#47 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:17 AM

Well wtf? This thread is alive again.....

#48 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

Wow! From all that you received the the infamous "666" recognition! You have been around much longer then I so you know thats celebrated around here. Im surprised hyphenation hasnt showed up with his devil tongue gif! Damn i pissed rught now! I need to go punch my fucking dog in the snout right now and tell her to stop eating poop. I will be back.

No need to kick the dog lol it's all good...... Funny how our pets like to eat poop lol I would watch our jack eat horse poo then I would tell her to go give mommy a kiss lol.....

Not to chamge the course of this thread but why do dogs eat poop? I really do want take some leather to my dog when she does this but i would never abuse her unless she bit one of us.

Its usually B vitamin deficiency.  Does the dog eat rocks too?  Get some real dog food and not some knock off walmart shit food.  The first three ingredients in dog food should NOT be grain.  Meat, berries, peas.  Things like that.

Honestly though I think even walmart carries high end dog food now.  The cost is only a few bucks dif.  For all dogs do for us I say the few bucks is worth it.

#49 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

In theory at least mushrooms aren't all that different from plants.  Plants spread their DNA by seeds.  Mushrooms spread their DNA via spores.  Only dif is you dont' see a lot of plants which produce a billion seeds.

Obviously agar is one way to predict your fruiting outcome but in theory at least if you keep taking prints from the best mushrooms in your grows with desirable traits then the progeny should eventually resemble what you are looking for.

I've bred plants which people said I could not possibly due for my cold environment.  It took me about five years.  How long would it take for developing my own mushroom strain?  I don't know if I've got that kind of time but it is doable.

Edited by OysterFarmer, 24 October 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#50 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 325 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

I was thinking the same thing... just saw the notification.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#51 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Welcome home. Now that I have a microscope maybe I can figure out how to move individual spores now that I can see them. Suggestions? :biggrin:

Edited by CatsAndBats, 24 October 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#52 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 325 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

Welcome home. Now that I have a microscope maybe I can figure out how to move individual spores now that I can see them. Suggestions?
Well, last we discussed, I believe we were looking into plate swiping, and volumetric dilution of spores. I haven't really thought about it for a while.

I do recall one video mentioning that you should add some astroglide to your syringes, as it keeps spores from sticking together.

Perhaps mixing a small bit of lube and spores well, then swiping a plate with the tiniest bit of the mixture on a wire?

That's just off the top of my head. I'll keep thinking, and do a little research later.

I'm glad to be back, I'll post a thread with my latest grow soon.

#53 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

Welcome home. Now that I have a microscope maybe I can figure out how to move individual spores now that I can see them. Suggestions?
Well, last we discussed, I believe we were looking into plate swiping, and volumetric dilution of spores. I haven't really thought about it for a while.

I do recall one video mentioning that you should add some astroglide to your syringes, as it keeps spores from sticking together.

Perhaps mixing a small bit of lube and spores well, then swiping a plate with the tiniest bit of the mixture on a wire?

That's just off the top of my head. I'll keep thinking, and do a little research later.

I'm glad to be back, I'll post a thread with my latest grow soon.

Good to have you back Jack. Now get to work.

All this talk of lube has me all giddy!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 24 October 2017 - 03:09 PM.

• OysterFarmer likes this

#54 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 325 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:48 PM

It would appear that we are on the right track when it comes to isolating spores.

I did some Googling, and while nobody mentioned any lube (they must live boring lives); the two most commonly discussed methods are: serial dilution, and streaking agar plates.

Also, mentioned on Research Gate was filtering the spore solution through MiraCloth or lens cloth to remove spore clumps, then doing a serial dilution. This could work!

Attached Files

Edited by HrVanker, 24 October 2017 - 10:55 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#55 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

Its usually B vitamin deficiency. Does the dog eat rocks too? Get some real dog food and not some knock off walmart shit food. The first three ingredients in dog food should NOT be grain. Meat, berries, peas. Things like that.

Honestly though I think even walmart carries high end dog food now. The cost is only a few bucks dif. For all dogs do for us I say the few bucks is worth it.
She gets good brand band, she doesn't eat rocks and have not seen her eat her poop in a long time..,now she eats Tootsie rolls out of the litter box!

#56 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

Its usually B vitamin deficiency. Does the dog eat rocks too? Get some real dog food and not some knock off walmart shit food. The first three ingredients in dog food should NOT be grain. Meat, berries, peas. Things like that.

Honestly though I think even walmart carries high end dog food now. The cost is only a few bucks dif. For all dogs do for us I say the few bucks is worth it.
She gets good brand band, she doesn't eat rocks and have not seen her eat her poop in a long time..,now she eats Tootsie rolls out of the litter box!

https%3A%2F%2Fi.cdn.tbs.com%2Fassets%2Fi

Do you want to borrow my Adderall?

206px-Racemic_amphetamine_2.svg.png

• Microbe likes this

#57 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

https%3A%2F%2Fi.cdn.tbs.com%2Fassets%2Fi

Do you want to borrow my Adderall?

206px-Racemic_amphetamine_2.svg.png
Please!

#58 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

Dog hates cat. Goes to cat box to eat its turds. Heh.

Electroporation. It's when a cell is influenced by a very short burst of electricity in an aqueous solution between two electrodes. This causes the cells hydrophobic outer lipid wall structure to momentarily turn in on itself creating an opening or pore hence electroporation, the opening becomes hydrophilic. Readily allowing water molecules carrying alien DNA into the cell. Scientists use this method to introduce new genetic material into cells. This happens in nano seconds. Prolonged electroporation becomes damaging to the cell. That is called irreversible electroporation and the cell is swamped with water and dies.
This effect should be the same with mushroom spores. I imagined rubbing mycelium between fine sheets of sandpaper then moving a small amount to water with spores of another mushroom. Into a very small vessel with two electrodes and introducing pulses of a strong direct current. In theory this should introduce DNA/genetics into the spore of another mushroom. Just a thought.

#59 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 2,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

NCBINCBI Logo
Skip to main content
Skip to navigation
Resources
How To
About NCBI Accesskeys
Sign in to NCBI
PMC
US National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health
Search databaseSearch termSearch
Advanced Journal list Help
Journal ListMycobiologyv.43(1); 2015 MarPMC4397374
Logo of mycobiology
Mycobiology. 2015 Mar; 43(1): 1–8.
Published online 2015 Mar 31. doi: 10.5941/MYCO.2015.43.1.1
PMCID: PMC4397374
Current Technologies and Related Issues for Mushroom Transformation
Sinil Kim, Byeong-Suk Ha, and Hyeon-Su Rocorresponding author
Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ►
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
Go to:
Abstract
Mushroom transformation requires a series of experimental steps, including generation of host strains with a desirable selective marker, design of vector DNA, removal of host cell wall, introduction of foreign DNA across the cell membrane, and integration into host genomic DNA or maintenance of an autonomous vector DNA inside the host cell. This review introduces limitations and obstacles related to transformation technologies along with possible solutions. Current methods for cell wall removal and cell membrane permeabilization are summarized together with details of two popular technologies, Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation and restriction enzyme-mediated integration.

Keywords: Agrobacterium, Mushroom, Protoplast, REMI, Transformation
Go to:
MUSHROOM LIFE CYCLE AND PERSPECTIVES
Mushrooms are fruiting body-forming fungi normally belonging to Ascomycota or Basidiomycota. These fungi normally grow on plant materials by propagating vegetative mycelia through elongation of hyphae. Mycelia can be either dikaryotic (N + N) or monokaryotic (N). Monokaryotic mycelia are composed of mononuclear cells, which generally appear in most of life-cycle stages of Ascomycota as well as in mycelia generated from basidiospores of Basidiomycota. Dikaryotic myceliua are formed by hyphal fusion (anastomosis) of compatible monokaryotic mycelia. Basidiomycetes spend most of their vegetative lives as dikaryotic mycelia. Mushroom fruiting bodies are masses of dikaryotic mycelia with specialized structures, called basidia (2N), which make sexual spores such as basidiospores and ascospores as a means of sexual reproduction.

From a practical point of view, fruiting bodies are often consumed as food sources due to their unique flavors. Edible mushrooms, including Agaricus bisporus, Flammulina velutipes, Lentinula edodes, Pleurotus eryngii, and P. ostreatus, are readily available at any food market owing to their commercial cultivation. In addition to their nutritional consumption, mushrooms have been recently explored for new applications, including bioremediation, cell factories for foreign protein production [1, 2], value-added material sources [3, 4], and medicines [5, 6].

Mushrooms are ubiquitous organisms found in almost every ecosystem and play central roles in the recycling of organic matter. A considerable amount of literature has been published on the ecology, physiology, genetics, and biotechnology of mushrooms. Moreover, more than 100 genomes of Agaricomycotina alone have been sequenced and are openly available in a public database (http://genome.jgi.do...programs/fungi/). However, knowledge of the molecular cell biology of mushrooms has been restricted to only a few model mushrooms, such as A. bisporus and Coprinopsis cinereus, due to lack of molecular biological tools related to transformation. This review lists current obstacles that hinder the introduction of foreign genes into mushroom cells along with current solutions.

Go to:
MAJOR OBSTACLES TO MUSHROOM TRANSFORMATION
Introduction of foreign DNA into mushroom cells should be readily accessible at any stage of the life-cycle in order to better understand mushroom biology as well as generate mushrooms with new industrial applicability. However, transformation of mushrooms is very difficult due to the following reasons.

Connected cells with apical growth

Fungal cells are connected to form haphae, which are highly interconnected and form mycelia. For this reason, isolation of single mushroom cells is impossible. Growth (division) of filamentous fungi only occurs at the tip of mycelia, which means most cellular machineries for growth are concentrated at the apical tip of cells [7]. Moreover, cytoplasms of cells in mycelia are connected by septal pores (dolipores for Basidiomycota), through which molecules and even subcellular organelles can pass so that cells without selective markers survive [8, 9]. Use of germinating spores, finely broken mycelia with regenerated apical tips, or protoplasts can circumvent the issue of connected cells.

Thick cell wall

Fungal cells in vegetative mycelia have thick cell walls, mainly composed of chitin, β-1,3-glucan and β-1,6-glucan, and glycoproteins. Penicillium brevicompactum has a thickness of 149 nm [10, 11], whereas Gram-negative and Gram-positive cell walls have thicknesses of 5~10 nm and 20~80 nm, respectively [12]. Spores of fungi have even thicker walls of approximately 1 µm [13]. At least some cell walls have to be removed to introduce foreign DNA.

Heterokaryosis

In Basidiomycota, vegetative mycelial cells normally contain two different nuclei with compatible mating types [14, 15]. Therefore, if foreign DNA is not integrated into both nuclei at the same time, which is obviously very hard to achieve, then transformant carrying the selective marker will be diluted through the sporulation process during either sexual or asexual life-cycle when there is no selective pressure. Therefore, it is desirable to use monokaryotic cells for maintenance of the transformant.

Few molecular biological tools

There are very few available molecular biological tools for mushroom transformation. Unlike yeast, few natural nuclear plasmids have been discovered in filamentous fungi while plasmids found in filamentous fungi are mostly mitochondrial plasmids [16]. Synthetic plasmids with an autonomous replicative sequence (ARS), promoter, and selective marker from various origins have been developed for many fungi in Ascomycota and some in Basidiomycota [17, 18]. Moreover, vast numbers of hosts for Saccharomyces cerevisiae are available with sets of auxotrophic markers (e.g., leu2-3, 12, trp1-1, ura3-1, ade2-1, and his 3-11, 15 in W303-1A strain [19]) while few auxotrophs have been generated in mushrooms. C. cinereus is one of the most studied model basidiomycetes, and efforts have been made in order to generate mutant strains with selective markers, but few are available, including trp-2 [20, 21], met, his, and cystathionine [22].

Host defense mechanism

DNA double-strand breaks (DSBs) are detrimental and therefore must be repaired. DSBs in the eukaryotic genome are mainly repaired by homologous recombination (HR), single-strand annealing, microhomology-mediated end-joining, and non-homologous end-joining (NHEJ) [23, 24, 25]. These repair systems also play roles in the integration of foreign DNA into eukaryotic genomes mainly via HR and NHEJ. HR is the major player in yeast, and thus yeast transformation can be easily facilitated using homologous regions of the gene of interest [26]. On the contrary, filamentous fungi and higher eukaryotic organisms use NHEJ as their main repair system, such as KU70, KU80, and DNL4 in S. cerevisiae [27]. As a result, integration of exogenous DNA for the transformation of filamentous fungi is considered to be highly difficult since it requires DSBs, which are random and relatively rare [27]. Deletion of MUS-51 and MUS-52, which are homologous to KU70 and KU80, respectively, or MUS-53, which is homologous to DNL4 or Lig4 in humans, highly increases the integration of exogenous DNA through HR in Neurospora crassa [27, 28]. This is also true for basidiomycete fungus C. cinerea. Disruption of Cc.ku70 or Cc.lig4 has been shown to cause high-frequency gene targeting in oidia and mycelia of C. cinerea [29]. Therefore, disruption of NHEJ-related genes in a target host is apparently one of the prerequisite steps in mushroom transformation.

Maintenance of foreign DNA inside mushroom cells

No nuclear or cytoplasmic plasmid DNA has been discovered in mushrooms so far. Maintenance of a synthetic plasmid in mushroom cells is strictly dependent on selective marker. However, maintenance of constant selection pressure is hardly achievable since mushroom cultivation can last for several months in solid medium while producing potent degradative enzymes. Moreover, cell division only occurs at the apical tip of cells. The plasmid has to be multiplied at the tip of the cells and segregate into the dividing cell. Synthetic vector containing mushroom mitochondrial ARS or mycovirus with a target gene can be developed as mushroom vectors but need further development. Direct integration of linear DNA into the host genome appears to be the only way to maintain foreign gene integration for now.

Go to:
METHODS FOR MUSHROOM TRANSFORMATION
Mushroom transformation has been performed using various samples at different life cycles with various methods, including Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation (ATMT), polyethylene glycol (PEG)-mediated protoplast transformation, restriction enzyme-mediated integration (REMI), electroporation, and ballistic bombardment, along with following questions and solutions:

Removal of thick mushroom cell wall

As described above, mushroom cells are surrounded by a thick cell wall with layers of chitin, β-glucan, and glycoproteins. Removal of the cell wall is a prerequisite for most of the transformation protocols. Several hydrolytic enzymes from a fungal pathogen, Trichoderma harzianum, are available as mixtures of chitinase, β-glucanase, and protease (Table 1) [30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45]. The enzyme reaction with mushroom tissue or mycelia should be conducted in the presence of a high concentration of osmotic stabilizers, including sorbitol [30, 32, 36, 45], mannitol [33, 34, 35, 38], sucrose [42], and MgSO4 [31, 37, 39], since protoplasts and spheroplasts are sensitive to osmotic pressure. The optimal concentration of osmotic stabilizers is around 0.6M.

Table 1
Table 1
Cell wall lysing enzymes and osmotic stabilizer
Permeabilization of mushroom cell membrane

The cell membrane is the primary barrier preventing introduction of foreign DNA into the cytoplasm. Permeabilization of the cell membrane has been performed by various physicochemical methods. In S. cerevisiae, treatment with PEG together with lithium acetate (LiAc) and single strand DNA (ssDNA) enables high efficiency transformation of yeast cells [47]. PEG is known to increase membrane permeability through interaction with membrane lipids [48]. LiAc and ssDNA also increase the permeability of nucleic acids, although the detailed mechanism is not fully understood [49, 50]. PEG treatment has been applied to the transformation of Pleurotus mushrooms using PEG3350 or PEG4000, as shown in Table 2 [38, 39, 41, 43, 44, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58]. Electroporation is a method for local disturbance of the cell membrane by applying electric pulses with a certain electric potential (V) and capacitance (F). Variables in this method are the intensity (ranging 5~10 kV/cm) and duration (few msec) of the electric pulse. The intensity can vary depending on the applied electric potential (V) and the width of the cuvette (0.1 or 0.2 cm). Typical settings for mushroom transformation are summarized in Table 2. Ballistic bombardment is a transformation method using helium pressure to introduce DNA-coated gold particles into cells. This method has been generally applied for the transient expression of genes in plants, and it has been seldom applied for mushroom transformation [57, 58]. Agrobacterium tumefaciens can make holes in the membrane of any living organism. A. tumefaciens produces proteins related to host interaction and gene transfer from the virB operon in Ti-plasmid [59]. The virB2 gene encodes T-pilin protein for assembly of the T-pilus, with which the bacteria attach to hosts cell and function as a channel for T-DNA transfer. Some examples are described in below.

Table 2
Table 2
Techniques for the introduction of foreign DNA to mushroom protoplasts
Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation

A. tumefaciens can infect any higher organism and transfers a DNA fragment (transfer DNA, T-DNA) from a tumor-inducing plasmid (Ti-plasmid) into the host genome via activity of vir gene product, which is contained in Ti-plasmid. Using this property, ATMT has been applied to the transformation of a variety of filamentous fungi, including Aspergillus, Fusarium, and Trichoderma [60-63]. Spores, mycelia, protoplasts, and tissues of fruiting bodies from basidiomycete fungi also have been subjected to ATMT (Table 3) [61, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81]. Successful ATMT relies on several factors. A. tumefaciens strains were shown to differentially affect the transformation efficiency of tomato and the copy numbers of genes integrated in the tomato genome [82]. Although the AGL-1 strain shows the best performance for tomato, the effect of the strain can vary depending on the organism and transformation conditions (Table 3). The cultivation conditions for co-culture of the bacterium together with the host fungi are also very important factors. The concentration of acetosyringone, a wound response molecule required for activation of the vir gene [83], is normally maintained at 0.2 mM for most of the mushroom transformation (Table 3). Duration and temperature for co-culture are normally 2~5 days and near 25℃, respectively, but can last up to a month at low temperature for slow-growing mushrooms [74, 75, 78, 80]. Various binary vectors containing T-DNA regions, which are composed of insert DNAs planked by a left board and right board, have been applied to mushroom transformation. The T-DNA regions mostly convey bicistronic genes, one for the selective marker and another for the reporter gene or gene of interest, whose expression is regulated by independent promoters (Fig. 1). The most frequent selective marker is a hygromycin resistant gene (hph), due to lack of auxotrophic mutant strains. C. cinereus is one of the few mushrooms which can use an auxotrophic marker [66, 67]. Expression of the reporter or selective marker gene is regulated by constitutive promoters, such as glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase promoter (Pgpd) and cauliflower mosaic virus 35S promoter (PCaMV35S or P35S), and terminators, such as TtrpC and T35S. More rigorous efforts should be made to generate mutant strains with robust selective markers and to identify controllable promoters.

Fig. 1
Fig. 1
T-DNA regions of selected binary vectors. The binary vectors and related citations are described in Table 3. LB and RB are the left board and right board of T-DNA region in Ti plasmid, respectively.
Table 3
Table 3
Selected mushroom transformation by ATMT
Integration of linear DNA by REMI

REMI is a transformation method for introducing linear DNA, which is cut by certain restriction enzyme(s), into the same restriction site in the host genome by including linear DNA together with the restriction enzyme in the transformation mixture [84]. REMI is a powerful tool to transform a variety of filamentous fungi [81, 85] and mushrooms, including C. congregatus [30], F. velutipes [31], P. ostreatus [40, 42], P. eryngii [37], Trametes versicolor [45], Ganoderma lucidum [32], and L. edodes [33, 34, 35, 36]. For example, we previously transformed a dikaryotic strain of P. eryngii with HindIII-digested pAN7-1-ECFP fragment using PEG4000-treated protoplasts in the presence of HindIII [37] (Fig. 2). Although the transformation was successful as shown by the expression of EGFP in the mycelia, we failed to detect EGFP protein in the mature fruiting bodies. The integrant was eventually diluted out during subculture. This may indicate that direct integration of foreign DNA into one of the nuclei in dikaryotic cells generates a fairly unstable transformant, suggesting that it is more desirable to use a monokaryotic strain in any mushroom transformation. Until now, REMI has been conducted on protoplasts of mushroom cells treated with PEG3350 or PEG4000 [30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 42]. Restriction enzymes employed for REMI are mostly six-cutter enzymes, such as EcoRI [30], HindIII [37], and BamHI [42].

Fig. 2
Fig. 2
Schematic description for restriction enzyme-mediated integration (REMI). The figure shows application of REMI to introduce hph-EGFP gene into the genomic DNA of Pleurotus eryngii [37]. EGFP expression was observed under fluorescence microscope.
Go to:
CONCLUSIONS
Introduction of a foreign gene into living cells and deletion of a target gene from genomic DNA are essential steps for better understanding cell biology at the molecular level. Nevertheless, mushroom transformation has not been freely accessible partly due to the dikaryotic nature of mushroom mycelia. More importantly, mushroom cells have their own limitations as good hosts for foreign DNA since HR is suppressed in filamentous fungi, whereas NHEJ is the major repair system against DSBs. With NHEJ, integration of foreign DNA has to be random, which makes it difficult to target a specific gene. Therefore, suppression of NHEJ by downregulation or knockout of NHEJ components is necessary and conceivably a prerequisite. Filamentous growth with connected cells is another obstacle since it prevents isolation of single cells from certain experimental treatments and thus causes difficulties in the selection of independent cells with a desirable phenotype. Use of germinating spores, protoplasts, and finely broken mycelia with regenerated apical tips may circumvent this problem. Generation of a variety of auxotrophic mutant strains is also needed to make mushrooms as an efficient host as yeast. In closing this review, more serious efforts should be concentrated on the host engineering for further advances in mushroom science.

Go to:
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This research was supported by Golden Seed Project (Center for Horticultural Seed Development, No. 213003-04-1-WTH13), Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF), Rural Development Administration (RDA) and Korea Forest Service (KFS). HBS and SIK were supported by a scholarship from the BK 21 Plus Program, the Ministry of Education, Korea.

Go to:
References
1. Nevalainen H, Peterson R. Making recombinant proteins in filamentous fungi: are we expecting too much? Front Microbiol. 2014;5:75. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
2. Su X, Schmitz G, Zhang M, Mackie RI, Cann IK. Heterologous gene expression in filamentous fungi. Adv Appl Microbiol. 2012;81:1–61. [PubMed]
3. Singh SS, Wang H, Chan YS, Pan W, Dan X, Yin CM, Akkouh O, Ng TB. Lectins from edible mushrooms. Molecules. 2014;20:446–469. [PubMed]
4. Wösten HA, Scholtmeijer K. Applications of hydrophobins: current state and perspectives. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2015;99:1587–1597. [PubMed]
5. El Enshasy HA, Hatti-Kaul R. Mushroom immunomodulators: unique molecules with unlimited applications. Trends Biotechnol. 2013;31:668–677. [PubMed]
6. Wasser SP. Medicinal mushroom science: current perspectives, advances, evidences, and challenges. Biomed J. 2014;37:345–356. [PubMed]
7. Howard RJ. Ultrastructural analysis of hyphal tip cell growth in fungi: Spitzenkörper, cytoskeleton and endomembranes after freeze-substitution. J Cell Sci. 1981;48:89–103. [PubMed]
8. Bauer R, Mendgen K, Oberwinkler F. Septal pore apparatus of the smut Ustacystis waldsteiniae. Mycologia. 1995;87:18–24.
9. Shepherd VA, Orlovich DA, Ashford AE. Cell-to-cell transport via motile tubules in growing hyphae of a fungus. J Cell Sci. 1993;105(Pt 4):1173–1178. [PubMed]
10. Farrag RM. Ultrastructure, glutathione and low molecular weight proteins of Penicillium brevicompactum in response to cobalt. Pol J Microbiol. 2009;58:327–338. [PubMed]
11. Müller WH, van Aelst AC, van der Krift TP, Boekhout T. Scanning electron microscopy of the septal pore cap of the basidiomycete Schizophyllum commune. Can J Microbiol. 1994;40:879–883.
12. Selitrennikoff CP. Antifungal proteins. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2001;67:2883–2894. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
13. Hofsten B, Hofsten A. Ultrastructure of a thermotolerant Basidiomycete possibly suitable for production of food protein. Appl Microbiol. 1974;27:1142–1148. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
14. Nieuwenhuis BP, Debets AJ, Aanen DK. Sexual selection in mushroom-forming Basidiomycetes. Proc Biol Sci. 2011;278:152–157. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
15. Kothe E. Mating-type genes for basidiomycete strain improvement in mushroom farming. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2001;56:602–612. [PubMed]
16. Griffiths AJ. Natural plasmids of filamentous fungi. Microbiol Rev. 1995;59:673–685. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
17. Gems D, Johnstone IL, Clutterbuck AJ. An autonomously replicating plasmid transforms Aspergillus nidulans at high frequency. Gene. 1991;98:61–67. [PubMed]
18. Schoberle TJ, Nguyen-Coleman CK, May GS. Plasmids for increased efficiency of vector construction and genetic engineering in filamentous fungi. Fungal Genet Biol. 2013;58-59:1–9. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
19. Rothstein RJ. One-step gene disruption in yeast. Methods Enzymol. 1983;101:202–211. [PubMed]
20. Binninger DM, Skrzynia C, Pukkila PJ, Casselton LA. DNA-mediated transformation of the basidiomycete Coprinus cinereus. EMBO J. 1987;6:835–840. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
21. Tilby MJ. Tryptophan biosynthesis in Coprinus lagopus: a genetic analysis of mutants. J Gen Microbiol. 1976;93:126–132. [PubMed]
22. Kiguchi T, Yanagi SO. Intraspecific heterokaryon and fruit body formation in Coprinus macrorhizus by protoplast fusion of auxotrophic mutants. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 1985;22:121–127.
23. Lee K, Lee SE. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Sae2- and Tel1-dependent single-strand DNA formation at DNA break promotes microhomology-mediated end joining. Genetics. 2007;176:2003–2014. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
24. Mezard C, Nicolas A. Homologous, homeologous, and illegitimate repair of double-strand breaks during transformation of a wild-type strain and a rad52 mutant strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:1278–1292. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
25. Symington LS, Gautier J. Double-strand break end resection and repair pathway choice. Annu Rev Genet. 2011;45:247–271. [PubMed]
26. Orr-Weaver TL, Szostak JW, Rothstein RJ. Yeast transformation: a model system for the study of recombination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1981;78:6354–6358. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
27. Ishibashi K, Suzuki K, Ando Y, Takakura C, Inoue H. Nonhomologous chromosomal integration of foreign DNA is completely dependent on MUS-53 (human Lig4 homolog) in Neurospora. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:14871–14876. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
28. Ninomiya Y, Suzuki K, Ishii C, Inoue H. Highly efficient gene replacements in Neurospora strains deficient for nonhomologous end-joining. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:12248–12253. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
29. Nakazawa T, Ando Y, Kitaaki K, Nakahori K, Kamada T. Efficient gene targeting in ΔCc.ku70 or ΔCc.lig4 mutants of the agaricomycete Coprinopsis cinerea. Fungal Genet Biol. 2011;48:939–946. [PubMed]
30. Leem YE, Kim SJ, Ross IK, Choi HT. Transformation and laccase mutant isolation in Coprinus congregatus by restriction enzyme-mediated integration. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1999;172:35–40.
31. Maehara T, Yoshida M, Ito Y, Tomita S, Takabatake K, Ichinose H, Kaneko S. Development of a gene transfer system for the mycelia of Flammulina velutipes Fv-1 strain. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74:1126–1128. [PubMed]
32. Kim S, Song J, Choi HT. Genetic transformation and mutant isolation in Ganoderma lucidum by restriction enzymemediated integration. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004;233:201–204. [PubMed]
33. Hirano T, Sato T, Yaegashi K, Enei H. Efficient transformation of the edible basidiomycete Lentinus edodes with a vector using a glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase promoter to hygromycin B resistance. Mol Gen Genet. 2000;263:1047–1052. [PubMed]
34. Nakade K, Watanabe H, Sakamoto Y, Sato T. Gene silencing of the Lentinula edodes lcc1 gene by expression of a homologous inverted repeat sequence. Microbiol Res. 2011;166:484–493. [PubMed]
35. Sato T, Yaegashi K, Ishii S, Hirano T, Kajiwara S, Shishido K, Enei H. Transformation of the edible basidiomycete Lentinus edodes by restriction enzyme-mediated integration of plasmid DNA. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1998;62:2346–2350. [PubMed]
36. Irie T, Sato T, Saito K, Honda Y, Watanabe T, Kuwahara M, Enei H. Construction of a homologous selectable marker gene for Lentinula edodes transformation. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2003;67:2006–2009. [PubMed]
37. Noh W, Kim SW, Bae DW, Kim JY, Ro HS. Genetic introduction of foreign genes to Pleurotus eryngii by restriction enzyme-mediated integration. J Microbiol. 2010;48:253–256. [PubMed]
38. Yin Y, Liu Y, Jin H, Wang S, Zhao S, Geng X, Li M, Xu F. Polyethylene glycol-mediated transformation of fused egfp-hph gene under the control of gpd promoter in Pleurotus eryngii. Biotechnol Lett. 2012;34:1895–1900. [PubMed]
39. Lin J, Zheng M, Wang J, Shu W, Guo L. Efficient transformation and expression of gfp gene in the edible mushroom Pleurotus nebrodensis. Prog Nat Sci. 2008;18:819–824.
40. Irie T, Honda Y, Hirano T, Sato T, Enei H, Watanabe T, Kuwahara M. Stable transformation of Pleurotus ostreatus to hygromycin B resistance using Lentinus edodes GPD expression signals. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2001;56:707–709. [PubMed]
41. Irie T, Honda Y, Watanabe T, Kuwahara M. Efficient transformation of filamentous fungus Pleurotus ostreatus using single-strand carrier DNA. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2001;55:563–565. [PubMed]
42. Joh JH, Kim BG, Chu KS, Kong WS, Yoo YB, Lee CS. The efficient transformation of Pleurotus ostreatus using REMI method. Mycobiology. 2003;31:32–35.
43. Peng M, Singh NK, Lemke PA. Recovery of recombinant plasmids from Pleurotus ostreatus transformants. Curr Genet. 1992;22:53–59. [PubMed]
44. Li G, Li R, Liu Q, Wang Q, Chen M, Li B. A highly efficient polyethylene glycol-mediated transformation method for mushrooms. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2006;256:203–208. [PubMed]
45. Kim K, Leem Y, Kim K, Kim K, Choi HT. Transformation of the medicinal basidiomycete Trametes versicolor to hygromycin B resistance by restriction enzyme mediated integration. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002;209:273–276. [PubMed]
46. Kitamura K, Kaneko T, Yamamoto Y. Lysis of viable yeast cells by enzymes of Arthrobacter luteus. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1971;145:402–404. [PubMed]
47. Gietz RD, Schiestl RH, Willems AR, Woods RA. Studies on the transformation of intact yeast cells by the LiAc/SS-DNA/PEG procedure. Yeast. 1995;11:355–360. [PubMed]
48. Hashizaki K, Taguchi H, Itoh C, Sakai H, Abe M, Saito Y, Ogawa N. Effects of poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) chain length of PEG-lipid on the permeability of liposomal bilayer membranes. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2003;51:815–820. [PubMed]
49. Brzobohatý B, Kovác L. Factors enhancing genetic transformation of intact yeast cells modify cell wall porosity. J Gen Microbiol. 1986;132:3089–3093. [PubMed]
50. Pham TA, Kawai S, Murata K. Visualization of the synergistic effect of lithium acetate and single-stranded carrier DNA on Saccharomyces cerevisiae transformation. Curr Genet. 2011;57:233–239. [PubMed]
51. van de Rhee MD, Graça PM, Huizing HJ, Mooibroek H. Transformation of the cultivated mushroom, Agaricus bisporus, to hygromycin B resistance. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;250:252–258. [PubMed]
52. Kuo CY, Chou SY, Hseu RS, Huang CT. Heterologous expression of EGFP in enoki mushroom Flammulina velutipes. Bot Stud. 2010;51:303–309.
53. Kim JK, Park YJ, Kong WS, Kang HW. Highly efficient electroporation-mediated transformation into edible mushroom Flammulina velutipes. Mycobiology. 2010;38:331–335. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
54. Sun L, Cai H, Xu W, Hu Y, Gao Y, Lin Z. Efficient transformation of the medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum. Plant Mol Biol Report. 2001;19:383–384.
55. Sun L, Cai H, Xu W, Hu Y, Lin Z. CaMV 35S promoter directs β-glucuronidase expression in Ganoderma lucidum and Pleurotus citrinopileatus. Mol Biotechnol. 2002;20:239–244. [PubMed]
56. Kuo CY, Huang CT. A reliable transformation method and heterologous expression of β-glucuronidase in Lentinula edodes. J Microbiol Methods. 2008;72:111–115. [PubMed]
57. Sunagawa M, Magae Y. Transformation of the edible mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus by particle bombardment. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002;211:143–146. [PubMed]
58. Sunagawa M, Murata H, Miyazaki Y, Nakamura M. Transformation of Lyophyllum decastes by particle bombardment. Mycoscience. 2007;48:195–197.
59. Lai EM, Kado CI. The T-pilus of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Trends Microbiol. 2000;8:361–369. [PubMed]
60. Cardoza RL, Vizcaino JA, Hermosa MR, Monte E, Gutiérrez S. A comparison of the phenotypic and genetic stability of recombinant Trichoderma spp. generated by protoplast- and Agrobacterium-mediated transformation. J Microbiol. 2006;44:383–395. [PubMed]
61. De Groot MJ, Bundock P, Hooykaas PJ, Beijersbergen AG. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of filamentous fungi. Nat Biotechnol. 1998;16:839–842. [PubMed]
62. Michielse CB, Ram AF, Hooykaas PJ, Hodel CA. Role of bacterial virulence proteins in Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Aspergillus awamori. Fungal Genet Biol. 2004;41:571–578. [PubMed]
63. Ruiz-Diez B. Strategies for the transformation of filamentous fungi. J Appl Microbiol. 2002;92:189–195. [PubMed]
64. Chen X, Stone M, Schlagnhaufer C, Romaine CP. A fruiting body tissue method for efficient Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Agaricus bisporus. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:4510–4513. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
65. Mikosch TS, Lavrijssen B, Sonnenberg AS, van Griensven LJ. Transformation of the cultivated mushroom Agaricus bisporus (Lange) using T-DNA from Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Curr Genet. 2001;39:35–39. [PubMed]
66. Burns C, Gregory KE, Kirby M, Cheung MK, Riquelme M, Elliott TJ, Challen MP, Bailey A, Foster GD. Efficient GFP expression in the mushrooms Agaricus bisporus and Coprinus cinereus requires introns. Fungal Genet Biol. 2005;42:191–199. [PubMed]
67. Heneghan MN, Porta C, Zhang C, Burton KS, Challen MP, Bailey AM, Foster GD. Characterization of serine proteinase expression in Agaricus bisporus and Coprinopsis cinerea by using green fluorescent protein and the A. bisporus SPR1 promoter. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:792–801. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
68. Lu Z, Kong X, Lu Z, Xiao M, Chen M, Zhu L, Shen Y, Hu X, Song S. Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) synthase enhances thermotolerance of mushroom Agaricus bisporus. PLoS One. 2014;9:e91298. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
69. Zheng Z, Huang C, Cao L, Xie C, Han R. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation as a tool for insertional mutagenesis in medicinal fungus Cordyceps militaris. Fungal Biol. 2011;115:265–274. [PubMed]
70. Cho JH, Lee SE, Chang WB, Cha JS. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of the winter mushroom, Flammulina velutipes. Mycobiology. 2006;34:104–107. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
71. Park SY, van Peer AF, Jang KY, Shin PG, Park Y, Yoo YB, Park KM, Kong WS. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation using gill tissue of Flammulina velutipes. Korean J Mycol. 2010;38:48–53.
72. Okamoto T, Yamada M, Sekiya S, Okuhara T, Taguchi G, Inatomi S, Shimosaka M. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of the vegetative dikaryotic mycelium of the cultivated mushroom Flammulina velutipes. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74:2327–2329. [PubMed]
73. Shi L, Fang X, Li M, Mu D, Ren A, Tan Q, Zhao M. Development of a simple and efficient transformation system for the basidiomycetous medicinal fungus Ganoderma lucidum. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012;28:283–291. [PubMed]
74. Hatoh K, Izumitsu K, Morita A, Shimizu K, Ohta A, Kawai M, Yamanaka T, Neda H, Ota Y, Tanaka C. Transformation of the mushroom species Hypsizigus marmoreus, Flammulina velutipes, and Grifola frondosa by an Agrobacterium-mediated method using a universal transformation plasmid. Mycoscience. 2013;54:8–12.
75. Zhang JJ, Shi L, Chen H, Sun YQ, Zhao MW, Ren A, Chen MJ, Wang H, Feng ZY. An efficient Agrobacterium-mediated transformation method for the edible mushroom Hypsizygus marmoreus. Microbiol Res. 2014;169:741–748. [PubMed]
76. Zubieta MP, da Silva Coelho I, de Queiroz MV, de Araújo EF. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated genetic transformation of the ectomycorrhizal fungus Laccaria laccata. Ann Microbiol. 2014;64:1875–1878.
77. Chung SJ, Kim S, Sapkota K, Choi BS, Shin C, Kim SJ. Expression of recombinant human interleukin-32 in Pleurotus eryngii. Ann Microbiol. 2011;61:331–338.
78. Kim KH, Kang YM, Im CH, Ali A, Kim SY, Je HJ, Kim MK, Rho HS, Lee HS, Kong WS, et al. Identification and functional analysis of pheromone and receptor genes in the B3 mating locus of Pleurotus eryngii. PLoS One. 2014;9:e104693. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
79. Ding Y, Liang S, Lei J, Chen L, Kothe E, Ma A. Agrobacterium tumefaciens mediated fused egfp-hph gene expression under the control of gpd promoter in Pleurotus ostreatus. Microbiol Res. 2011;166:314–322. [PubMed]
80. Pardo AG, Hanif M, Raudaskoski M, Gorfer M. Genetic transformation of ectomycorrhizal fungi mediated by Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Mycol Res. 2002;106:132–137.
81. Wang J, Guo L, Zhang K, Wu Q, Lin J. Highly efficient Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Volvariella volvacea. Bioresour Technol. 2008;99:8524–8527. [PubMed]
82. Chetty VJ, Ceballos N, Garcia D, Narváez-Vásquez J, Lopez W, Orozco-Cárdenas ML. Evaluation of four Agrobacterium tumefaciens strains for the genetic transformation of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) cultivar Micro-Tom. Plant Cell Rep. 2013;32:239–247. [PubMed]
83. Stachel SE, Nester EW, Zambryski PC. A plant cell factor induces Agrobacterium tumefaciens vir gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:379–383. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
84. Schiestl RH, Petes TD. Integration of DNA fragments by illegitimate recombination in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:7585–7589. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
85. Lu S, Lyngholm L, Yang G, Bronson C, Yoder OC, Turgeon BG. Tagged mutations at the Tox1 locus of Cochliobolus heterostrophus by restriction enzyme-mediated integration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:12649–12653. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
86. Yin HB, Wang T, Zheng P. Purification and properties of Lywallzyme from Trichoderma longibrachiatum Rifai. Guangzhou Chem Ind. 2010:87–88.
Articles from Mycobiology are provided here courtesy of Korean Society of Mycology
Formats:

Article | PubReader | ePub (beta) | PDF (590K) | Citation

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Google Plus Google+
Save items
Add to Favorites
View more options
Similar articles in PubMed
Insertional mutagenesis of Aspergillus fumigatus.
[Mol Gen Genet. 1998]
[T-DNA integration patterns in transgenic plants mediated by Agrobacterium tumefaciens].
[Yi Chuan. 2011]
Transformation of rice mediated by Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
[Plant Mol Biol. 1997]
DNA repair genes RAD52 and SRS2, a cell wall synthesis regulator gene SMI1, and the membrane sterol synthesis scaffold gene ERG28 are important in efficient Agrobacterium-mediated yeast transformation with chromosomal T-DNA.
[BMC Microbiol. 2016]
Three decades of fungal transformation: novel technologies.
[Methods Mol Biol. 2004]
See reviews...
See all...
Cited by other articles in PMC
Genome editing in the mushroom-forming basidiomycete Coprinopsis cinerea, optimized by a high-throughput transformation system
[Scientific Reports. 2017]
See all...
Links
PubMed
Taxonomy
Recent Activity
ClearTurn Off
Mycobiology. 2015 Mar; 43(1)1
Fungal Lipid Accumulation and Development of Mycelial Structures by Two Arbuscul...
Fungal Lipid Accumulation and Development of Mycelial Structures by Two Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi
Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2003 Nov; 69(11)6762
Graphite electrodes as electron donors for anaerobic respiration.
Graphite electrodes as electron donors for anaerobic respiration.
Environ Microbiol. 2004 Jun;6(6):596-604.
PubMed
Graphite Electrode as a Sole Electron Donor for Reductive Dechlorination of Tetr...
Graphite Electrode as a Sole Electron Donor for Reductive Dechlorination of Tetrachlorethene by Geobacter lovleyi
Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2008 Oct; 74(19)5943
Green synthesis of copper oxide nanoparticles using gum karaya as a biotemplate ...
Green synthesis of copper oxide nanoparticles using gum karaya as a biotemplate and their antibacterial application
International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2013; 8()889
See more...
Ultrastructural analysis of hyphal tip cell growth in fungi: Spitzenkörper, cytoskeleton and endomembranes after freeze-substitution.
[J Cell Sci. 1981]
Cell-to-cell transport via motile tubules in growing hyphae of a fungus.
[J Cell Sci. 1993]
Ultrastructure, glutathione and low molecular weight proteins of Penicillium brevicompactum in response to cobalt.
[Pol J Microbiol. 2009]
Review Antifungal proteins.
[Appl Environ Microbiol. 2001]
Ultrastructure of a thermotolerant basidiomycete possibly suitable for production of food protein.
[Appl Microbiol. 1974]
Sexual selection in mushroom-forming basidiomycetes.
[Proc Biol Sci. 2011]
Review Mating-type genes for basidiomycete strain improvement in mushroom farming.
[Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2001]
Review Natural plasmids of filamentous fungi.
[Microbiol Rev. 1995]
An autonomously replicating plasmid transforms Aspergillus nidulans at high frequency.
[Gene. 1991]
Plasmids for increased efficiency of vector construction and genetic engineering in filamentous fungi.
[Fungal Genet Biol. 2013]
One-step gene disruption in yeast.
[Methods Enzymol. 1983]
DNA-mediated transformation of the basidiomycete Coprinus cinereus.
[EMBO J. 1987]
Tryptophan biosynthesis in Coprinus lagopus: a genetic analysis of mutants.
[J Gen Microbiol. 1976]
Saccharomyces cerevisiae Sae2- and Tel1-dependent single-strand DNA formation at DNA break promotes microhomology-mediated end joining.
[Genetics. 2007]
Homologous, homeologous, and illegitimate repair of double-strand breaks during transformation of a wild-type strain and a rad52 mutant strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
[Mol Cell Biol. 1994]
Review Double-strand break end resection and repair pathway choice.
[Annu Rev Genet. 2011]
Yeast transformation: a model system for the study of recombination.
[Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1981]
Nonhomologous chromosomal integration of foreign DNA is completely dependent on MUS-53 (human Lig4 homolog) in Neurospora.
[Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006]
Highly efficient gene replacements in Neurospora strains deficient for nonhomologous end-joining.
[Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004]
Efficient gene targeting in ΔCc.ku70 or ΔCc.lig4 mutants of the agaricomycete Coprinopsis cinerea.
[Fungal Genet Biol. 2011]
Development of a gene transfer system for the mycelia of Flammulina velutipes Fv-1 strain.
[Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010]
Genetic transformation and mutant isolation in Ganoderma lucidum by restriction enzyme-mediated integration.
[FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004]
Efficient transformation of the edible basidiomycete Lentinus edodes with a vector using a glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase promoter to hygromycin B resistance.
[Mol Gen Genet. 2000]
Gene silencing of the Lentinula edodes lcc1 gene by expression of a homologous inverted repeat sequence.
[Microbiol Res. 2011]
Transformation of the edible basidiomycete Lentinus edodes by restriction enzyme-mediated integration of plasmid DNA.
[Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1998]
Construction of a homologous selectable marker gene for Lentinula edodes transformation.
[Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2003]
See more ...
Studies on the transformation of intact yeast cells by the LiAc/SS-DNA/PEG procedure.
[Yeast. 1995]
Effects of poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) chain length of PEG-lipid on the permeability of liposomal bilayer membranes.
[Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2003]
Factors enhancing genetic transformation of intact yeast cells modify cell wall porosity.
[J Gen Microbiol. 1986]
Visualization of the synergistic effect of lithium acetate and single-stranded carrier DNA on Saccharomyces cerevisiae transformation.
[Curr Genet. 2011]
Polyethylene glycol-mediated transformation of fused egfp-hph gene under the control of gpd promoter in Pleurotus eryngii.
[Biotechnol Lett. 2012]
Efficient transformation of filamentous fungus Pleurotus ostreatus using single-strand carrier DNA.
Recovery of recombinant plasmids from Pleurotus ostreatus transformants.
[Curr Genet. 1992]
A highly efficient polyethylene glycol-mediated transformation method for mushrooms.
[FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2006]
Transformation of the cultivated mushroom, Agaricus bisporus, to hygromycin B resistance.
[Mol Gen Genet. 1996]
Highly Efficient Electroporation-mediated Transformation into Edible Mushroom Flammulina velutipes.
[Mycobiology. 2010]
CaMV 35S promoter directs beta-glucuronidase expression in Ganoderma lucidum and Pleurotus citrinopileatus.
[Mol Biotechnol. 2002]
A reliable transformation method and heterologous expression of beta-glucuronidase in Lentinula edodes.
[J Microbiol Methods. 2008]
Transformation of the edible mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus by particle bombardment.
[FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002]
Review The T-pilus of Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
[Trends Microbiol. 2000]
A comparison of the phenotypic and genetic stability of recombinant Trichoderma spp. generated by protoplast- and Agrobacterium-mediated transformation.
[J Microbiol. 2006]
Review Strategies for the transformation of filamentous fungi.
[J Appl Microbiol. 2002]
Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of filamentous fungi.
[Nat Biotechnol. 1998]
A fruiting body tissue method for efficient Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Agaricus bisporus.
[Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000]
Transformation of the cultivated mushroom Agaricus bisporus (Lange) using T-DNA from Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
[Curr Genet. 2001]
Efficient GFP expression in the mushrooms Agaricus bisporus and Coprinus cinereus requires introns.
[Fungal Genet Biol. 2005]
Characterization of serine proteinase expression in Agaricus bisporus and Coprinopsis cinerea by using green fluorescent protein and the A. bisporus SPR1 promoter.
[Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009]
Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) synthase enhances thermotolerance of mushroom Agaricus bisporus.
[PLoS One. 2014]
Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation as a tool for insertional mutagenesis in medicinal fungus Cordyceps militaris.
[Fungal Biol. 2011]
Agrobacterium-mediated Transformation of the Winter Mushroom, Flammulina velutipes.
[Mycobiology. 2006]
Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of the vegetative dikaryotic mycelium of the cultivated mushroom Flammulina velutipes.
Development of a simple and efficient transformation system for the basidiomycetous medicinal fungus Ganoderma lucidum.
[World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012]
An efficient Agrobacterium-mediated transformation method for the edible mushroom Hypsizygus marmoreus.
[Microbiol Res. 2014]
Identification and functional analysis of pheromone and receptor genes in the B3 mating locus of Pleurotus eryngii.
[PLoS One. 2014]
Agrobacterium tumefaciens mediated fused egfp-hph gene expression under the control of gpd promoter in Pleurotus ostreatus.
[Microbiol Res. 2011]
Highly efficient Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Volvariella volvacea.
[Bioresour Technol. 2008]
Evaluation of four Agrobacterium tumefaciens strains for the genetic transformation of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) cultivar Micro-Tom.
[Plant Cell Rep. 2013]
A plant cell factor induces Agrobacterium tumefaciens vir gene expression.
[Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986]
Integration of DNA fragments by illegitimate recombination in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
[Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991]
Highly efficient Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Volvariella volvacea.
[Bioresour Technol. 2008]
Tagged mutations at the Tox1 locus of Cochliobolus heterostrophus by restriction enzyme-mediated integration.
[Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994]
Development of a gene transfer system for the mycelia of Flammulina velutipes Fv-1 strain.
Stable transformation of Pleurotus ostreatus to hygromycin B resistance using Lentinus edodes GPD expression signals.
Genetic introduction of foreign genes to Pleurotus eryngii by restriction enzyme-mediated integration.
[J Microbiol. 2010]
Transformation of the medicinal basidiomycete Trametes versicolor to hygromycin B resistance by restriction enzyme mediated integration.
[FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002]
Genetic transformation and mutant isolation in Ganoderma lucidum by restriction enzyme-mediated integration.
[FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004]
Efficient transformation of the edible basidiomycete Lentinus edodes with a vector using a glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase promoter to hygromycin B resistance.
[Mol Gen Genet. 2000]
Gene silencing of the Lentinula edodes lcc1 gene by expression of a homologous inverted repeat sequence.
[Microbiol Res. 2011]
Transformation of the edible basidiomycete Lentinus edodes by restriction enzyme-mediated integration of plasmid DNA.
[Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1998]
See more ...
Support CenterSupport Center
External link. Please review our privacy policy.
NLM NIH DHHS USA.gov
National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD, 20894 USA
Policies and Guidelines | Contact

From

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4397374/

#60 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:27 AM

I find this subject fascinating, especially since I accidentally produced a cross breed of two different cubensis strains, redboy, and penis envy. I did this by using the pf Tek, 1/2 pint jars brf verm h20, and shooting them with the redboy. They sat in the cupboard for almost two months and not one produced any signs of white. Since none contaminated either I shot them again with the people, thinking that there might be some chance of them still being useful. This time they all jumped and within three weeks they were ready to birth. I was an absentee father by then, but I paid one last visit to the ex and put the cakes in an aquarium for her. They grew rapidly into the weirdest fruits I have ever seen. Black caps with dark violet streaking on the stems. I got a mutual friend to grab a few pics, and one cap which I printed. That cap grew 20 more, and those prints are right now being grown in 4 dozen jars to see if they retain their characteristic color and size. I am just getting a lab up, and am going to be using this method of experimenting with crossing these black beauties with my cyanescens, as was mentioned earlier. When I figure out a more scientific explanation for this, and I will entertain any thoughts as to what may have happened at the microscopic level. Updates to come.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!