258 replies to this topic

#241 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

Peacefrog: can you comment on your substrate and casing especially the composition and thickness of each? Looks great. Providing much inspiration. Regards mjroom.

Simple BRF (~3 inches) nocked up with a slurry in pp5 containers. Cased at 1/4 inch with pasteurized 50/50+.

Next time, after I get through with my family issues, and a few clones on agar, I'm going for grain to bulk like I normally do. I was very curious if brf cake material would work well. But with my neglect, I do not have an answer if it is a good substrate for this species or not. I most likely will work with brf again once I get a few good cultures and/or grows from this beautiful species, just to see.

I also have 1 agar jar that exploded with primordia ~ 2/12 weeks after full colonization. Then they just sat there for another 3 weeks. No sign of them breaking through the universal veil. Then yesterday, after I got home I saw a true pin finally. So I will continue to let that go for longer as well. More clone material lol.

Edited by peacefrog, 30 June 2017 - 02:54 PM.

• MLBjammer, Microbe and mjroom like this

#242 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 666 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the info peacefrog. It would be interesting to see if a substrate half as thick would yield any better results.This would of course require more attention with respect to GE and moisture control but it seems from the threads I am reading along with the photos that the Mexican psilocybe will grow a more natural looking fruit when the substrates are on the thin side some as thin as an inch and casing layers of a 1/4 inch thick in some cases. Some like the zapotecorum require some sand in both the substrate and the casing if they are to fruit. I have not read then same on other Mexicana mushrooms though they most often grow in yellow or red clayish soils so sand would be present there. I have no hands on experience with this just trying to learn form the various threads on these beautiful and most magical mushrooms. Thanks again for posting I am getting up my nerve to try my hand waiting mow for a blue 425nm led grow light to arrive in the mail. Soon I hope. Regards mjroom.

• MLBjammer, Heirloom and peacefrog like this

#243 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

First flush updates:

The same crappy flush pattern but still growing. Incredibly, as I had to leave town for the 3rd time on Saturday, since introducing them to fruiting. Another 48-50 hours of neglect.

IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1117.JPG IMG_1118.JPG IMG_1119.JPG

And a few casualties to my neglect, bacterial blotch. I thought they were aborts on Saturday, but they have continued to grow since then:
IMG_1121.JPG IMG_1122.JPG

And my plate of agar that sat around, exploding with primordia, then just sat there for a few more weeks not doing anything. One true pin and a few more that look promising:

IMG_1123.JPG IMG_1124.JPG

I'm hoping I can salvage a decent 2nd flush from these baby's once I can stop neglecting them lol.

Thanks again, whitethumb for the spores, starting this thread and allowing us to share our experience with these guys here!

Edited by peacefrog, 03 July 2017 - 06:02 PM.

• MLBjammer, whitethumb, Arathu and 2 others like this

#244 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,414 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:45 AM

That doesn't look bad at all, my friend, especially given your circumstances.  I bet your next flush is way better.

You have to try those as soon as you get a chance.

• peacefrog likes this

#245 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

Thanks, jammer.

I took some clones this morning. Those guys are some very meaty, thick specimens. Not hollow at all. They are sturdy guys for sure.

And they didn't bruise as quickly as cubes or pans but once they did, it was very dark indeed.
  • MLBjammer, Heirloom and mjroom like this

#246 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 996 posts

Donator

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

nice pf!! my later flushes were bigger specimens. i remember getting some huge capped specimens.
  • MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#247 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

Thanks again, bro. I'm not proud of the flush I got from those trays, but at least I got a chance to see them in action. They are a beautiful species for sure.

I pulled all this morning, cloned a few and am attempting to print a few caps as well.

I am surely hoping for a better 2nd flush, but we will see. I'm still on call to go out of town again at anytime for unknown periods of time.

A pic of the deep bruising after a couple of hours after cloning some fruit:
IMG_1125.JPG
  • MLBjammer, whitethumb, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#248 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 996 posts

Donator

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:09 PM

nice, these guys are awesome all the way around. thanks for the update. don't want to say too much here but i may have a new grow log coming
  • MLBjammer, peacefrog and meyer like this

#249 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:19 AM

Looking forward to your next upcoming grow WT!

Update on my little grow:

2nd flush really came out better, now that I am able to be here on a consistent basis. 1 container has grown pretty fast respectively anyway while the other one is lagging a bit behind and didn't start pinning until several days after the first one.

Here is some pics of a much better flush:
IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1142.JPG IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1140.JPG

I never got any spores from the first flush. It seems I picked a little too early lol. So I will let these guys go until I have some visible spores being deposited before printing.

Also, my clones are looking decent. Out of 2 pins and 4 mature fruits, only 1 contained on me. So we will see if any are keepers.
  • MLBjammer, whitethumb, Arathu and 4 others like this

#250 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 996 posts

Donator

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:35 PM

nice buddy!!!! gorgeous
  • MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#251 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,414 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:25 AM

I love those little mini-tubs, PF, and the fruits look incredible.  I think you might just fall in love with this species like I have.  I am glad you could finally spend a bit time tending to your grow.

The caps will likely be turned up before they start dropping any spores.  Everything is at half-speed with Vivas, compared to cubes or pans.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics, man.

Edited by MLBjammer, 15 July 2017 - 04:30 AM.

• peacefrog likes this

#252 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

Update on the other container that was a little slower to start the 2nd flush:
IMG_1165.JPG

And I got some spores finally. I waited a little longer this time until I saw the tell tell signs:
IMG_1166.JPG

All in all, this species is pretty cool. I like it a lot. And I definitely plan on working with these quite a bit more.

Thanks again WT!

Edit: it seems they like BRF cake material just fine. Perhaps they are a little small? I don't know yet but I have some grain colonizing as we speak to play around with different bulk recipes.

Edited by peacefrog, 24 July 2017 - 07:40 AM.

• fahtster, whitethumb, gadas and 2 others like this

#253 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 996 posts

Donator

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

pf they're as gorgeous as i remember.

it takes forever for them to start dropping spores. i too waited for the tell tell signs to start printing.

i'm getting the good ol mycology itch again. just poured some new petri's. i can't wait to start a new project.
  • pharmer and peacefrog like this

#254 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,568 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

And I can't wait to see it, bro! You always put out awesome grows.
  • whitethumb likes this

#255 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

Those sure are some beautiful fruits.
  • peacefrog likes this

#256 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 996 posts

Donator

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

And I can't wait to see it, bro! You always put out awesome grows.

thanks brother, that's quite a compliment!!
  • peacefrog likes this

#257 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

Lovely grow of a rarely shared species. Thanks!

• peacefrog likes this

#258 Gnomesayin

Gnomesayin

Loph Whisperer

• Black VIP
  • 338 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

Gnome thanks WT for a chance to play with this beautiful mushroom.

Just wanted to share gnomes hoooooogs tub #1

6qt shoebox garbage bag lined
2qt spawn grown on oats
3qt 70/30 coco coir / black kow
Substrate 12h 140-170° pasteuriztion
¼-½" 70/30 substrate casing layer.
7 weeks after spawning the gnome was busting out the chainsaw again.

IMG_20170805_182807.jpg
IMG_20170805_182830.jpg
IMG_20170805_182815.jpg
  • fahtster, whitethumb and jkdeth like this

#259 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 996 posts

Donator

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

nice bro, glad you played with them. thanks for sharing!!!
  • Gnomesayin likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!