7 replies to this topic

#1 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with Ladybugs and aphids. I build an indoor grow room and finished it in early September. I had started some girls outside a little late, and they were soaking up that free sunlight, but their flowering cycle would take them into the cold, hard weather here in Montana. It was my intent to bring them inside, and that took place as soon as the room was finished. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to me, my girls had been infested with aphids. I did not even notice them for several weeks, but I began to notice a 'shine' to the leaves, which is the sugary solution the aphids exude and it makes the leaves look shiny, and when I did finally recognize their presence, they had overcome three plants and started on the other.

I initially sprayed a solution of garlic and dish soap and this did help, but the plants were so covered, it was next to impossible to get everything sprayed completely. I did look at other chemical sprays, but after reading the comment about smoking bugs vs chemicals, I decided to say 'fuck that' and look for a more natural solution (the garlic was working, but...). Serendipitously, Ladybugs began showing up outside my back door. I read about using Ladybugs and decided to buy some and see how they worked. Added 1500 to my grow room (enclosed so they cant escape). I could tell the difference right away but there were soo many aphids, I decided to add 3000 more! So 4500 lady bugs working on an aphid population was awesome to watch. I had initially considered throwing out the whole crop because they were so infested, but those ladybugs made a believer out of me. They are simply awesome. They got the aphids under control and there are NO APHIDS left on my plants, only aphid skeletons!!

Today is harvest day for two of the plants, so I will take some pics and post them. The girls did great after the aphids were eliminated although when I post pics, you can still see the aphid skeletons on the leaves...Grow room uses the Advanced Platinum 900W led light, which also work Super!!!!!!

Just wanted to share this experience, for the feeling you get when your plants are COVERED in aphids is a very sinking feeling, but I am here to tell you that Ladybugs ARE THE SOLUTION!!

ILAL

wt

• coorsmikey, Juthro, niemandgeist and 3 others like this

#2 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,279 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

Kool White T . . I always wondered about lady bugs

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing brother, that's good info to know :)

#4 white threads

white threads

i am no thing

• OG VIP
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:08 PM

Some pics from the two ladies taken today...The smaller buds are Limoncello Haze and the big bud is Blue Dream (which smells wonderful)!

BTW, you can see some of the aphid shells on the leaves, little white specks...most brush off. Kind of misleading because the aphids leave white spots on the leaves also. 

Gotta love those Ladybugs (which you can also see on one of the leaves)!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0485.JPG
  • IMG_0489.JPG
  • IMG_0486.JPG
  • IMG_0487.JPG

Edited by white threads, 16 November 2016 - 11:13 PM.

• Juthro, Heirloom , niemandgeist and 2 others like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,751 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:07 AM

Those look real nice WT, I'm glad you got the ladies to do their work for you.

#6 sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

wanderess

• 607 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

Great work. They look so pretty even with the aphid cadavers. lol Thanks for sharing the useful information with us.

#7 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,483 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

Lady bugs, AKA lady bird beetles, are natural predators of aphids. They're a wonderful, natural pest control measure that any gardener can employ. They sell them by the hundreds and thousands online. I think they come chilled with dry ice and you basically thaw them out before putting them at the stem (ground level) of all of your plants. I believe you thaw them out a bit first and then place them in your garden. They then climb up the plants and hang around.

If you've got aphids and other prey that the lady bugs like to eat they'll hang around for quite some time and multiply. Even the larvae of the lady bugs mainly eat aphids, so they're an absolutely phenomenal tool for gardeners.

They're also cute!

It's also possible to purchase praying mantis egg sacks online. They hatch based on temperature. You can also get pest protection against many other insects by introducing many praying mantises to your garden. So long as there is prey for them to catch and eat you can be sure they'll hang around for a while, although you may not see them, little insect ninjas they are. :cool:

#8 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Niemandgeist. Could you recommend the vendor you used to purchase your ladybirds?
I have columbines and hollyhocks that just get ravished by those aphids. I've tried a few natural
methods but nothing really knocks them out.
Even though it's all outside, my thoughts are, if they have food, they should want to hang out there

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!