#1 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

Hey guys and gals,

I have been REALLY excited to start this grow and now that I have everything set up and have a seed that just popped today I think it's time to start a grow log!!

Happy birthday to the birthday girl!!

CC 003.jpg

So let me first tell you what I am looking for in my cannabis, why I chose this strain, a bit about the strain and how I plan to grow it...

What I'm looking for....

I'm looking for a nice indica dominant strain high in CBD and relatively low in THC to help me with my anxiety and to eventually even help replace benzodiazepines... I do want THC I'm my cannabis but I want to have more CBD than THC... I find this gives the best effect for my needs. I would also like a high CBN content in my cannabis but we will talk more about that later...

Why I chose this strain and a little about it...

I chose "CBD Critical Cure" because it comes from a well known breeder and a quick look at the stats on this plant will show that it is what I'm looking for....

"Barneys Farm - CBD Critical Cure

Barneys Farm / CBD Crew Collaboration. A crossing of the legendary Indica Critical Kush crossed with Shanti Baba’s CBD enhanced strain. This is a fast flowering strain that produces huge heavy buds, but will need to be supported in the final weeks of flowering. The flowers are full of resin with exceptional high CBD levels.

CBD Critical Cure has an intense and earthy flavour, with an added hint of sweetness. The CBD and THC work together beautifully to increase one another’s therapeutic benefits.

Yield: 600gr/m2
Height: 100cm
Flower time: 60-65 days
Harvest time: End September
THC: 5.50%
CBD: 8%
Genetics: Critical Kush X CBD Crew Mother"

So as you can see we have a really nice indica with great parents and grandparents and such with an approximate 2:1 CBD to THC ratio.... Perfect!

Got some nice free seeds with it too ;)....

CC 001.jpg

How I plan to grow it....

I have a small area in my closet cleaned up and ready for one plant... which is what I will be doing... just one plant under CFLs kept nice and short and bushy with low stress training and maybe even a scrog net but I'm not certain yet...

Here is a little shot of the setup...

CC 002.jpg

Right now I have a homemade 5 bulb CFL fixture with a homemade hood running 5 23 watt 6500k CFLs and that is how things will stay until flower when I replace the 6500k bulbs with 2700k... The plan is to veg out a nice short bush with lots of tops and then flower and harvest QUITE late. I want a high CBN content and harvesting late should help me achieve this as well as bringing the THC down a little bit further.

Taking a quick look at some info on CBN and considering I'm growing this to help with anxiety I think it's fairly easy to see why I want it in there lol...

"CBN’s most pronounced, characterizing attribute is its sedative effect, and according to our partners at Steep Hill Labs, 5mg of CBN is as effective as 10mg dose of diazepam, a mild pharmaceutical sedative. For those of you who rely on cannabis to resolve a night of tossing and turning, a little CBN would might do you some good. Indica strains have long been connected to these sedating, sleepy effects, and some researchers theorize that their tendency for higher CBN contents has something to do with that."

So if we take the stats listed and look at them (I know my grow won't be these exact numbers)...
They are CBD 8% THC 5.5% .... I would like to harvest late and degrade maybe that 0.5% THC to CBN to get something like 8% CBD 5%THC and 0.5-0.6% CBN.

So that's the basic idea of what I have planned for this grow! Please hit me up if you have any questions, comments, criticisms or ideas!

I'll try to keep this thread updated weekly or bi-monthly lol

Thanks for tuning in!
-Ethno

EDIT: Forgot pics like a dumbass lol

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 20 November 2016 - 07:42 PM.

• riseabovethought, Juthro, Spooner and 6 others like this

#2 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

I'll tune in and hear about your progress. I am especially interested in what you think about the effects when harvested.
I had no idea that CBN was so sedating. I know a few or more people who could use some anxiety reducing strains.

Are these feminized seeds?

I wish you the best of luck with this grow.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 20 November 2016 - 07:44 PM.

• ethnobotanist420, wharfrat and Gnomesayin like this

#3 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Heirloom :)

Yea I wasn't super aware of the effects of CBN either until I started looking into CBD and eventually taking a deeper look into most of the "major cannabinoids" I wish I had a way to have things lab tested.... I may end up buying a home test kit by the end of this grow but if not I'll just have to see how it feels lol

These are feminized seeds and thank you for your well wishes :) I've been watching your grow too! Haven't read it all they way thru yet so I haven't dropped a comment yet but I am watching!! Haha

Good grow vibes to you too friend!
-Ethno
  • Heirloom Spores, wharfrat and Gnomesayin like this

#4 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

So it's been two weeks and I'll give a little update...

I don't have any pictures to show this time Because I don't really have too much to show lol I'll post pictures on the next update.

Basically everything is going great!

The little girl is working on her second and third sets of leaves right now and I've been kinda pushing her around a bit to strengthen her stem since she popped up and she is very sturdy now...

I've been giving her little doses of water just in a small circle around the stem every 2-3 days because I don't think she's big enough to warrant me soaking the whole pot just yet.... I don't want her to have her feet wet for too long...

I'll likely feed her her first nutrients and soak the whole pot for the first time on my next update in 1-2 weeks. I'll be feeding her a very mellow (probably 1/4 strength) mix of fish fertilizer and seaweed fertilizer... I'll go into more specifics on the fertilizers next update tho.

Everything is happy and healthy and green right now! Like I said no pics on this update cuz there isn't much to show but I'll post pictures with my updates from now on :)

Thanks for tuning in and see you in a week or two!

-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 04 December 2016 - 06:21 PM.

• Heirloom Spores, wharfrat and Gnomesayin like this

#5 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:28 AM

I hope they grow great .

I know a woman who grew some medicine this year , high THC plants she got rid of the males . In her are its easy to find feral hemp that is very low THC and produces mostly CBD. They plants were intial;y grown in WW2 for fiber for rope no good. Anyways I got a few seeds from her that was from a CBD variety in her area.  I'll grow them out , hoping they sprout. I feel pretty lucky.

I need to find a home test or a lab that can test it for CBD levels.

I can hardly wait to see your results ethno.

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#6 Gnomesayin

Gnomesayin

Loph Whisperer

• Free Member
  • 271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:09 AM

Pulling up a chair.

#7 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

Thanks guys :)

I am interested in feral hemp myself actually... for breeding or for growing some seedless hemp buds to do a CBD extraction on...

We have fields upon fields of hemp in my area up here in Canada but I've never really been too interested in it because the canabinoid content is just not there... I think the hemp grow. Around here would lack in CBD to be honest. Feral hemp on the other hand.... you would think that it would have made some sort of increase in canabinoids as it acclimated to its surroundings.

Did she mention if those feral hemp seeds autiglowered?? I'm curious... I assume they would?

Might have to do a test grow/extraction in the future :) lol
-Ethno
  • Gnomesayin likes this

#8 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

They flower early don't know if that's an autoflower trait though. They vary in size most 6 feet tall some much taller.
I think the CBD content can vary from 1-3 % the THC is very low .03 % maybe lower.  Oh they flower in august.

Its not hard to find stands of it even in the city. Once I bought a bale of straw and had hundreds of hemp plants popping up in my yard.

I am interested in doing an extraction of CBD myself. I know there are labs that do tests I haven't emailed them yet to find out if it matters that I am not in there state. We got medical CBD here but the thing is we have to obtain it from out of state. Thc is still illegal though.

I once worked for a woman who picked feral hemp , her grandmother came from eastern Europe and taught her to make a medicine from the dried feral hemp. She said it was good for arthritis. I now regret not getting her recipe.

I'll drive by a stand I know of tomorrow and see if there is any still there dried to collect seeds from. If there is I'll come back and let you know.

EDIT - very sticky with lots of trichomes.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 05 December 2016 - 09:38 PM.

• ethnobotanist420 and Opalguy like this

#9 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

That sounds awesome Heirloom...

I would be very interested in hearing if you happen to find some feral hemp seeds kicking around ;)

I saw these kits on the web... I was thinking of picking one up just for testing CBD....

http://compassionate....ca/?location=1

They are pretty cheap but not nearly as good as some of the TLC test kits they sell but those are WAY more expensive....

I might end up grabbing something like this myself. I plan on getting SOMETHING to test THC/CBD percentages in the future of growing my own medicine so that simple kit might be a good start for me...
  • Heirloom Spores, wharfrat, Lakegal7 and 1 other like this

#10 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,754 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:07 AM

following this one for sure.. i lost the last cbd strain i had and trying to find another.. i did manage to get 2 quarts of good glycerin tincture

• ethnobotanist420, Heirloom Spores and Gnomesayin like this

#11 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

I went out and got nothing. I did look into home tests one was $100 but they say that a guy can do tests for less than $10 a test.
The tests only revel low, medium and high.

Thanks enthro , I never thought about the difference between commercial hemp bred for extremely low THC 
The CBD levels very well could of been lowered during this breeding project. I have not looked into CBD levels of commercial hemp.

Un related, the hemp seeds I buy for food come from Canada.

#12 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

@Wharfrat

I hope you find a new strain, brother! Where you looking for a really high CBD to THC ratio? Like next to nothing for THC?

How did that tincture turn out? Have you tried any?

@Heirloom

I assume there is still decent CBD in industrial hemp (~3%) but I'm thinking that the feral hemp might have more as well as more THC do it it not being bred by us and "going back to nature" but I have no evidence to back this up lol
  • Heirloom Spores likes this

#13 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,754 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

@Wharfrat

I hope you find a new strain, brother! Where you looking for a really high CBD to THC ratio? Like next to nothing for THC?

How did that tincture turn out? Have you tried any?

yes high CBD very low THC.. for a friend they don't like the effects of THC but CBD helps with pain. I have tried it but i like THC, he has tried it and says it is very good stuff. I would hope so as i used 4 OZ in 1 quart of veg glycerin  :biggrin: .. I used the 24hr heat method of extracting (vs. 3 months) and i think it did very well.

Edited by wharfrat, 06 December 2016 - 08:48 PM.

• ethnobotanist420, Heirloom Spores and Gnomesayin like this

#14 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

FUCK!!!

I may have killed this plant, guys... I have done my best to fix the situation and we will see how it goes but I'm not so sure....

Let me fill you in:

Everything was going great up until a few days ago I noticed she had stopped growing very much and her leaves were drooping quite badly...

I figured... "probably overwatering" and let the soil dry out nicely... then I have her water and she seemed to perk back up....

Fast forward to today... I notice the tips of the leaves are a bit dry and things are not improving... still dropping and looking unhappy. I decided to pop her out of the pot and see what was going on with the roots....

They were Fuuuuucked. Her roots were all matted up and some of them were brown... not good at all. I got her out of that soil and cleaned her roots as good as possible with some fresh cold water and transplanted her into soil with WAY better drainage.... she still has a nice bunch of pretty white roots but she lost about 50% of her root system today.

In my excitement to get working with this strain o overlooked THE most important part of the equation... THE SOiL. I had used some cheap potting soil and did NOT add perlite like I always do and this poor girl has basically been living in mud. I also fucked up by leaving that germination mat underneath her for way too long... I basically made the perfect breeding grounds for fungi and bacteria out of her soil....

But like I said I did catch this fairly soon, cleaned her up and got her potted up in a way nicer soil with lots of perlite so we will see how it goes... she did still have a pretty decent rootmass that was healthy and white.

If she doesn't make it I do have two more seeds and I WILL NOT fuck up like that again... so this is definitely not the end of this log by any means.

I'll post an update probably on Sunday with some pictures... I feel like by then I will have some idea if she is going to pull through... if not I'll start germinating another seed that day.

Good lord I feel like an idiot tonight, guys, I think that's one of the hugest mistakes I've ever made growing cannabis lol I'm also SO anal about the soil.... oh well you live and you learn I guess lol

I'm done ranting now lol I'll keep you guys posted... I hope she pulls through!
-Ethno

#15 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:21 AM

I've been doing cbd grows in colorado the last year. Moving to a 50 acre plot this year. I've been working Otto II and Baox. Co classifies it as hemp at .3%thc so I come in under there but at 10%-15% cbd depending on pheno.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160612_071432.jpg
  • IMG_20160722_071120.jpg
  • 20160824_115309.jpg
  • 20160811_154723.jpg

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, Heirloom Spores and 1 other like this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,284 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

Good vibes to you and your plant, Ethno :)

Damn, that's a nice looking set up, Llamabox.

#17 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

Time for an update as promised... 3 weeks since breaking soil...

I think shes going to pull through just fine!!! A bit stunted but fine!

After transplanting to better soil things have perked up and the new growth is coming along well! You can see the damage on the first set of leaves in this picture...

CC 005.jpg

But as you can see this new growth is looking great! All this top foliage... I suppose it would be the third and fourth sets of leaves are all new and have grown since transplanting to better soil a bit less then a week ago :)

CC 004.jpg

The soil is still a bit moist so i wont be doing its first feeding today but when i do i will be feeding with these nutes at 1/4 strength...

CC 006.jpg

I'll give them that dose of nutes in the next watering later this week and I'll update again then... I'm so happy she seems to be doing good and coming back from that scare with suffocating roots!

Temps have been decent I think... 75ish max temp and 60ish minimum... not below 60 and not above 75. I'm pretty happy with that! :)

I'll post again when i give her her first nutes later this week... Till then, thanks for tuning in!

-Ethno

• wildedibles, Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

#18 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,156 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

I was getting ready to by some shelled hemp nut to eat and saw amazon is now selling CBD in little bottles about 1/2 oz with 250mg of CBD. I thought about buying some. I think it would be better to just grow a few high CBD plants for the long term.

• ethnobotanist420 and wildedibles like this

#19 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:02 AM

I think you are right Heirloom... plus I like smoking or vaping my CBD it comes on faster lol

I'll probably be updating and feeding tomorrow or the next day for the record
  • Heirloom Spores likes this

#20 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,458 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hit my little girl with her first nutrients today because she was dry...

I gave her Alaskan fish fertilizer at 1/2tsp per 500ml water and a seaweed concentrate at 1tsp per 500ml water. Both are a slightly less than recommended doses... I'm not very worried about burning her with these nutes...

Also they smell way worse than I remembered lol

I have pics of my fertilizers but I'll upload those when I do my weekly update on Sunday.

I will also likely be giving her her first topping on Sunday at her 4th node... she is looking very strong now and I need her to bush out if I wanna get anything reasonable yield wise out of CFLs. I'm thinking ill top her twice and let those grow taller before bending and tying everything down... kinda SCROG but without the net...just some aggressive LSTing... you'll see what I mean (hopefully) lol

So that's what I did today... full update Sunday!
-Ethno

EDIT: Fuck autocorrect

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 15 December 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!