#21 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

Weekly update time!

We are now at 4 weeks from the seedling breaking the soil :)

As I mentioned in my last post I fed her her first dose of nutrients that day... a mixture of seaweed fertilizer and fish fertilizer. She seems to absolutely love it and it has dramatically boosted her appearance IMO.

Here is a picture of the seaweed concentrate... looks like seaweed hash lol... that had to be mixed with water to form a liquid concentrate that could then be mixed with water again....... Kind of a process but i have a decent sized jar of liquid concentrate to use now...

CC 007.jpg

Here is a picture of the fish fertilizer i am using... nothing too special

CC 008.jpg

Today she was given her first topping and she seems to not mind one bit...

CC 009.jpg

I plan to top her another time or two while bending her down to get the structure i want out of this plant... I'm hoping she will recover quickly (I think she will) seeing as how she is already stunted from my whole soil fuckup/root suffocation but i'm really in no rush at all :)

So just a quick update... thats it for this week... I'll keep you guys posted weekly and thanks for tuning in!

-Ethno

• Juthro, Heirloom Spores and Gnomesayin like this

#22 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,113 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

I like that, Alaska Fish Fert,  I've had good luck with it.  You are spot on about the smell though.  It's always worse then you remember it, and you always remember it being really bad, lol.

I also am a fan of General Hydroponics, 'Bio-Marine'.  It is part of their organic line, and is primarily a squid emulsion, but it also smells horrible.

Anyway, the little girl looks healthy, and happy !

Keep up the good work :)

• ethnobotanist420 and Heirloom Spores like this

#23 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Juthro!

They way I figure it with the fish ferts... the worse it smells the more the plants are likely to enjoy it haha

When I was shaking up the jug there was like this nasty congealed plug in the top of the bottle I had to dig out... it was very unpleasant lol
  • Juthro likes this

#24 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practice

• OG VIP
  • 2,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

I think your plant looks awesome. To describe concentrated organics as bad smelling is an understatement.

I have some of General Hydro's organic line  General organics, the shelf life is forever according to their site the same for General Hydro's dry nute lines called Maxi Grow & Maxi Bloom. Earth Juice products are said to last as long as you have them.

The first time I smelled fish fertilizer was when my dad bought some for his food garden.

entho its a pleasure to watch this grow, she's beautiful.

• ethnobotanist420 and Juthro like this

#25 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:00 AM

Thank you Heirloom! It's a pleasure to watch you grow as well!!!

(As well as all the awesome stuff you've been teaching me!!)

#26 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

Hey guys and gals,

First off… Merry Christmas!!! I hope everything is going great for you and yours : ) Second off…. Its time for an update lol It is 5 weeks today since this plant broke soil. I think shes looking pretty good considering only a few weeks back I wasn’t sure if I thought she would make it back from that suffocating roots issue lol

Here is a picture of her chillin out under the light:

CC 011.jpg

She has responded very well to the topping and is recovering great as you can see by her new growth:

CC 010.jpg

She has also started to bush out a lot from the lower nodes:

CC 013.jpg

These shoots will likely end up being used for clones to make a mother and to breed with a sex reversed clone for seed…  in the long run I plan to remove all foliage from beneath the fist topping or split… I’ll try to explain what I want to do to her…

So this is how she sits now:

CC 012.jpg

In a few more days I will top those two new shoots again to wind up with 4 main tops… those will be allowed to grow upwards until they have roughly 4-6 nodes and then they will be bent and tied down (possibly supercropped) into an x or + shape… from there the four tips will be topped again and the shoots from the nodes going up the stems will be allowed to grow up towards the light a bit and catch up before I switch to 12 and 12….

Here is an MS Paint drawing I did that can hopefully explain it a little better lol:

CC 014.JPG

So I think that this (4-way LST) is the best way for me to use the space I have and still get a good yield with the CFL’s… Try to keep everything low, wide and even. I’m not sure how well the plant will cooperate with my plan but we can refer back to my idealized MS Paint schematic at harvest and check it out hahaha

Nothing new other than that… shes growing and seems healthy… just drying up after a watering and getting ready for her second feeding in the next few days as well as another topping.

Merry Christmas everyone!!! Thanks for tuning in and Ill see you with an update in the New Year!

-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 25 December 2016 - 06:13 PM.

• Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

#27 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practice

• OG VIP
  • 2,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

Beautiful plants , love those wide leaves. How many cfl's are you using and watts?

This can inspire others to start a grow.  I know a few people who need to start growing and that's mostly why I asked.
Your grow area is nice and super clean.

peace

• Juthro likes this

#28 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Heirloom!

I'm using 5 23watt CFLs... right now I'm using the 6500k bulbs and when I start flowering I'll switch over to 2700k bulbs.
  • Heirloom Spores likes this

#29 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

6 weeks from seed breaking soil today!

I don't have any pictures to share this week but I promise I'll post some next week :)

So she has been topped again and the new shoots are coming in already... this is the last time I will be topping her. She also received another feeding this week.

Now she just needs to grow those 4 tops out nicely 4-5 nodes tall and then it's time to bend her over ;) lol

I'll likely be settling up to take clones next week as well... I think a week or two will be enough time for those smaller shoots to make decent clone material.... at that time I'll also strip the plant of all growth beneath the first topping.

That might be a ways off tho so I'm going to stop getting ahead of myself and just say she is doing great! Lol

I'll be back with a proper update with pictures next week... promise ;)

Until next week, thanks for tuning in!
-Ethno
  • Heirloom Spores and wharfrat like this

#30 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

Note to self:

Two clones taken at 6:30pm on Friday, January the 3rd.
  • Juthro and Heirloom Spores like this

#31 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Hey guys and Gals,

Time for a proper update! We are now at 7 weeks from seed breaking soil…

First things first here is a picture of my lady chilling out under the light:

CC 016.jpg

She was topped for a second time last week and you can see here that the new tops are coming in nicely:

CC 015.jpg

The lower growth has also been removed giving her more energy to focus on the tops, more airflow through her branches, and giving me two cuttings to try to clone… here she is after her haircut:

CC 017.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the clones I took… looking healthy so far:

CC 019.jpg

And a picture of both clones hanging out in the dome:

CC 020.jpg

One thing that I have been noticing is that she looks hungry for some magnesium… if you look at this picture you can see the yellowing on the leaf tips as well as yellowing between the veins of the leaves (tips and stripes):

CC 018.jpg

I plan to feed her some magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) with her next watering to correct the issue. She should need a watering fairly soon as you may have noticed from her slightly droopy look… I like to let her get a tad droopy or on the verge of droopiness between waterings to make sure the soil has a chance to dry up a bit in between waterings.

Other than that the plan now is basically to let those 4 new tops grow up some before I bend her over… I also kept 2 side branches because they seem to be growing well and have the space to grow… when I bend the 4 main tops over (once they have enough nodes on them) I will either bend or top those 2 side branches so that they sit the way I want them to.

So for now its get any deficiencies in check and let her grow! I’ll also probably transplant her to her final container once I get the magnesium situation under control. I will also keep you posted on the two clones I took.

That’s it for this week! See you next Sunday!

-Ethno 

also... 3333th post lol

#32 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practice

• OG VIP
  • 2,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Beautiful.

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#33 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

Thank you, Heirloom!

That means a lot coming from you :)

#34 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

Monday, January 9th:

Transplanted to larger pot and watered with Epsom salt at 1/4tsp per litre to fix magnesium deficiency.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#35 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

RIP one of the clones... I think the second one will soon follow :(

Gotta get a good clone before flowering for sure.

I'm thinking I might just top and tie down everything instead of the other plan I laid out before... can anyone give feedback?

I'm starting to think that I just wanna top everything again and that will give me 12 tops... -2 for clones.

Idk... lol

Proper update on Sunday as usual I'm just mourning the death of my clones right now I guess lol

#36 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,113 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Sorry about the clones :(

May the rest of your grow keep rocking.

#37 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

Sorry about the clones :(

May the rest of your grow keep rocking.

Thanks Juthro! Everything else is going great... just need me a clone lol

#38 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 916 posts

Donator

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

nice thread! i can't wait wait to see pics of her flowering.

#39 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practice

• OG VIP
  • 2,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Sending good vibes for getting clones.  I got not much to contribute to the tying over verses topping. I have tied over and prefer that to topping for myself but that might just be me.

I have cloned many ways from rockwool to water cloning, I like using perlite in a clear plastic cup , then I can see the roots and transplant. I use a rooting powder with all methods but the water cloning I do with no rooting hormones. I use a heatmat  with a thermostat  and a thermometer to check the temp, heat mat thermostats are not very accurate. I also use a low wattage flouro bulb
often no more than 20 watts.

I am no clone master and take more clones than I need because they don't always make it. I have had to reveg plants before just to get clones.

You have a great grow and I am also looking forward to your harvest and report on this variety you are growing. Your research report will be of interest to more than ever comment and to lurkers who have not yet become members.

peace bro

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 14 January 2017 - 01:16 PM.

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#40 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hey everyone… Time for another update! We are at week 8 from the seedling poking her tiny head up.

A few days ago I transplanted her into a larger container and tied down two of the main branches (4 colas) giving the other two side shoots I kept room to grow and participate lol I also fed her with some magnesium sulfate in water at ¼ tsp per liter to help correct magnesium deficiencies I had been noticing. I will probably give her another dose of Epsom salts next watering with her normal food as well… The new growth looks great but I’m noticing the mag deficiency still progressing VERY slowly on the oldest fan leaves but it has definitely slowed WAY down and is no longer spreading… so another small does of magnesium sulfate should fix her right up!

Here you can see her tied down and in her new pot:

CC 023.jpg

I might take clones from the 2 side branches once they get a little bit taller… effectively topping them and giving me another shot at cloning. When the other 4 branches are grown up and bent down this should put the new growth from those 2 shoots right in line with the rest of the growth. Here is another picture of her from the side:

CC 022.jpg

The 4 main branches are growing and are about 2 nodes tall each… I want them to be 5-6 nodes tall before being bent over so that each branch produces 5-6 sites for new vertical growth and bud sites… another week or two should do that as she is really picking up speed now. Here is a shot of her from the top:

CC 021.jpg

So we have a week or two for the 4 main branches to grow as tall as I want them (in that time I will likely also top/clone the 2 side shoots) then a bend and another week for the growth to figure out which way is up and correct itself… then flip to 12-12 and watch her flower!! Not too much longer now!

In the event that I am unable to get a clone I will likely choose 2-3 smaller buds to leave on the plant and try to Re-Veg her. Even tho I haven’t tried this strain, or this pheno of this strain, I would still like to make sure I back it up in case it is absolutely perfect… pre-emptive measures lol

So that’s where we are at this week! Thanks for tuning in guys and gals and I'll see you next week :)

-Ethno

PS: Does anyone have experience with Re-Vegging a plant? Is it a pretty reliable way to save genetics or do some plants just not take to it at all? I am curious to hear about your experiences with Re-Vegging…

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!