• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CaseyJones

CaseyJones

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

I remodel homes for a living and have gathered an abundance of old 5 gallon paint buckets. Would these be ok to use for oysters if I clean then extremely well? Just worried about the possibility of chemicals that might make me sick.

#2 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,148 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

I take it that your using Latex paint , indoor or oudoor? Do you know the ingredients of the paint?
That might help make a educated decision.

A great way is to use an old plastic laundry basket  or buy one at a dollar store like The Dollar Tree were everything is a dollar.

I have used buckets from drywall. I can't remember if I ever used old interior latex buckets.

Hopefully some one here knows. I wish you luck in all your grows.

#3 CaseyJones

CaseyJones

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:21 PM

Yeah all the buckets were interior latex paint. Not sure on the ingredients in the paint. I can tell you it was all Sherwin Williams paint. I wouldn't mind buying new buckets it just I have a ton of these laying around the shop and would like to put them to good use.

Edited by CaseyJones, 21 November 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#4 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,148 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

I did an internet search on interior latex and they say its listed as a non hazardous material.

Some paints contain a biocide to kill mold or mildew.

I can't give you an answer I trust. Buckets cost very little so I would just buy one.

How much do you plan on growing?

#5 CaseyJones

CaseyJones

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:11 PM

I was planning on 5 or 6 buckets. I have a ton of friends and family that are always asking for more mushrooms. I'll just go to HD and buy a bunch of those cheap homer buckets. Thanks for your help.

#6 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

Mushrooms don't uptake chemical compounds but will uptake heavy metals.  Paints contain iron oxide, etc, etc so its a grey area for growing.  I use old buckets myself but sell them after colonization. 

I think its the kinda thing where one time is fine but long term probably not best option.  Walmart carries food grade buckets in season or you could special order and pick up at the store other times I think.

• mjroom likes this

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

latex paints contain all kinds of shit you don't want to ingest. non-hazardous aint the same thing as food safe

the question is has any of the bad stuff leached into the bucket, and secondly, will the bucket leach any of itself or its' previous contents back into your sub, and in what quantities.

IIRC the plastics with the number 2 in a triangle (the recycle symbol) is by itself food safe. but we still don't know that ammonia or some other paint additive hasn't merged with the bucket.

there are food safe alternatives for paint buckets. bakeries get tons of icing in buckets. the buckets are usually smaller, like 2ish gallons. They give these things away if you ask nicely. With this option you know, or at least can gamble, that the buckets won't be giving off bad molecules to your substrate.

OR

I'm full of precautionary shit and the paint buckets will be just fine.

my garage is also home to dozens of old S&W buckets :)

#8 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

latex paints contain all kinds of shit you don't want to ingest. non-hazardous aint the same thing as food safe

the question is has any of the bad stuff leached into the bucket, and secondly, will the bucket leach any of itself or its' previous contents back into your sub, and in what quantities.

IIRC the plastics with the number 2 in a triangle (the recycle symbol) is by itself food safe. but we still don't know that ammonia or some other paint additive hasn't merged with the bucket.

there are food safe alternatives for paint buckets. bakeries get tons of icing in buckets. the buckets are usually smaller, like 2ish gallons. They give these things away if you ask nicely. With this option you know, or at least can gamble, that the buckets won't be giving off bad molecules to your substrate.

OR

I'm full of precautionary shit and the paint buckets will be just fine.

my garage is also home to dozens of old S&W buckets :)

True that.  I've dumpster dove for years at a bakery near my house.  Get old bread for the worm farm and buckets once in a while.  Some bakeries in town advertise their free shit once in a while but its so much driving I haven't done that as of yet.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!