35 replies to this topic

#21 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,848 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

^ I guess they got him.  This cyberwar is no joke.  

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,143 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

Going to post this here and in Pizzagate thread, as it is straight topical in both instances: 

[Direct Link]

#23 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:42 AM

"Why are people attacking critics of a random pizza shop?"

It's probably because they are calling out specific people for horrendous acts on thin or no evidence.  People associated with this pizza shop are facing down very real child rape allegations.  Can you imagine being accused publicly of child rape?  It's being booted from places like Reddit and others because people are being doxed over this stuff.

I'm extremely skeptical.  I am seeing all these "connections" and "associations"  and a whole lot of speculation but no evidence that a single child has been harmed. 

Seems like a waste of effort when there's plenty of real kids being molested all over the country every goddamn day.

Btw, this guy's credentials are pretty MSM.

Edited by Sidestreet, 01 December 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#24 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

I discovered this little nugget yesterday and it seems to fit pretty well within the context of this discussion:

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs likes this

#25 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,143 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

It is occurring to me that the Pizzagate thing could be a limited hangout created especially for facilitating an internet censorship crackdown.   What better subject to get the juices boiling than pedophilia and worse?   I am ready to slow down my thinking process and become more watchful.   I admit that I may have struck at a shiny spinner that could be the international security state out for a day of trolling.  I am remembering how they took down an investigation of Duhbya's air national guard antics on CBS by simply producing one fake documentation of a real situation.   With this Pizzagate story, all they have to do is create one witch hunt that goes down a blind alley and then all the pedos among the powerful fucks behind the curtain get off the hook.

========================

On the eve of releasing more JFK assassination documents, there is a new book out that says, based on the supposed coded diaries of a dead assassin, that Oswald is again a shooter, part of a five gun team, involving but two "rogue" CIA agents, doing it all for guess who?  Fidel Castro.  And everyone else gets off the hook.  Wonderful.

=======================

Man, those mutherfuckers are slippery bastards.    Mind Kontrol Ultra, indeed.

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 December 2016 - 10:43 AM.

• Sidestreet, Myc and August West like this

#26 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

The thing which scared me the most was remembering all of scroogle's search algorithm changes. If you have been a part (even a small one) of the IT world, I know you can relate. That company can send the information world into a tail-spin overnight by simply changing the way we are able to locate and access information. Some folks have still not recovered from sweeping changes made all the way back in 2008-2009. If you had the misfortune of even accidentally associating with entities deemed to be "black hat" you were summarily screwed and left bleeding. 

Just wait until they begin labeling agencies as sources of "mal-news". Oh wait, they've already taken that first step. 

Any agency or corporation with that much control over communications and information exchange (single-handedly) and no public oversight is, by definition, a monopoly. Anyone ever try calling scroogle to plead your case or reason with them? They answer to no-one.

"I want out." ~ darci

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,143 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

My first forum was called, NPR Your Turn.   It was in around '95, and the forum was in its first year.  Soon the National Propaganda Radio Corporation figured out what it had done with this new technology that they did not see coming.  They had given their online listeners reporting and editorial powers equal to front page, above the fold, headlines, and the page three continuations, and full access to the editorial page.    Some of us took advantage of this right away.   As time went on, they did everything they could to extensively balkanize the site, removing the original first thread they had called, "In the News," trying to make everyone do the special interest and soft news stories.   We did what we could do subvert their efforts and they countered in every way they could.  Eventually, after 9/11 and its Bush/Cheney fallout developed, they simply pulled the plug and removed the forum altogether.    During the time I was there, I had discovered that the CEO and vice -chairman and most of the NPR and PBS boards of directors were straight out of Radio Free Europe, Radio Liberty, US Information Agency, Radio and TV Marti, and all just like that; all career government propaganda professionals.    I frequently posted a copy/pasted page from their own websites stating the boards' resum├ęs.  I don't think they appreciated that.

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 December 2016 - 11:34 AM.

• Myc likes this

#28 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:08 AM

One man's extremism is another's simple dissent.

Web giants to cooperate on removal of extremist content

By Julia Fioretti

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Web giants YouTube , Facebook , Twitter and Microsoft will step up efforts to remove extremist content from their websites by creating a common database.

The companies will share 'hashes' - unique digital fingerprints they automatically assign to videos or photos - of extremist content they have removed from their websites to enable their peers to identify the same content on their platforms.

"We hope this collaboration will lead to greater efficiency as we continue to enforce our policies to help curb the pressing global issue of terrorist content online," the companies said in a statement on Tuesday.

Tech companies have long resisted outside intervention in how their sites should be policed, but have come under increasing pressure from Western governments to do more to remove extremist content following a wave of militant attacks.

YouTube and Facebook have begun to use hashes to automatically remove extremist content.

But many providers have relied until now mainly on users to flag content that violates terms of service. Flagged material is then individually reviewed by human editors who delete postings found to be in violation.

Twitter suspended 235,000 accounts between February and August this year and has expanded the teams reviewing reports of extremist content.

Each company will decide what image and video hashes to add to the database and matching content will not be automatically removed, they said.

The database will be up and running in early 2017 and more companies could be brought into the partnership.

The European Union set up an EU Internet Forum last year bringing together the internet companies, interior ministers and the EU Counter-Terrorism Coordinator to find ways of removing extremist content.

The Forum will meet again on Thursday, when ministers are expected to ask the companies about their efforts and helping to provide evidence to convict foreign fighters.

• Myc likes this

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,143 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

"We hope this collaboration will lead to greater efficiency as we continue to enforce our policies to help curb the pressing global issue of terrorist content online,"

I see that damned old spell checker chose, "policies," when they obviously meant, "politics."  Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, A-bombs, and censorship. 

#30 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

"We Are Watching The Long Game to Total Censorship Play Out"

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs likes this

#31 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

This is interesting: http://www.bbc.com/n...nology-38134560

Some excerpts:

'Snoopers law creates security nightmare'

29 November 2016

The Investigatory Powers Bill will get royal assent on Tuesday. More than 130,000 people have signed a petition calling for it to be scrapped.

Tim Berners-Lee has said it creates a "security nightmare".

Edward Snowden has described it as the most extreme surveillance in the history of Western democracy.

But soon records of every website and messaging service UK-based citizens visit from any device will be retained for a year by communications companies.

The inventor of the world wide web answered three questions about the new law:

What is your view of this legislation now that it has passed?

This snoopers charter has no place in a modern democracy - it undermines our fundamental rights online. The bulk collection of everyone's internet browsing data is disproportionate, creates a security nightmare for the ISPs who must store the data - and rides roughshod over our right to privacy. Meanwhile, the bulk hacking powers in the Bill risk making the internet less safe for everyone.

What is inside the Investigatory Powers Act?

The most contentious part of the forthcoming law is a requirement that communication providers keep a log of their customers net browsing behaviour for a year.

This will involve ISPs keeping a record of what websites - but not specific web pages - and chat apps their customers made use of and when.

Dozens of different bodies, ranging from the police to the Food Standards Agency, will be able to request access to this information without requiring a warrant.

There has been concern that the system is open to abuse, as the requests will not be vetted by an independent body. Moreover, the database presents a tempting target for hackers.

Much of the rest of the law aims to provide legal backing to cyber-operations already being carried out by the UK's security services.
It also introduces a new "double lock" for the most intrusive types of surveillance, such as hacking a target's smartphone or PC to see the messages they are sending.

Even if ministers have given approval for such an intercept warrant, a panel of judges will also have to approve the matter.

The authorities must also obtain a senior judge's permission before accessing communications data to identify a journalist's source. [emphasis mine]

Nevertheless, the committees had taken the campaigners' arguments on board, making 96 recommendations for changes to the legislation - nearly all of which had been ignored.

I put it to him that the reason why the campaigners had failed and MPs had felt able to vote the bill through was that the general public had bought the argument of the security agencies.

People were more worried about the threat from terrorists and criminals than they were about any implications for their personal privacy.
He conceded that was the case. "The public will believe the simple version of the truth - 'If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear,'" he said.

"And that will be true until it affects them."

Yeah, sleep tight all ye British journalists... And anyone thinking about becoming a "source." Daddy knows best, after all...

Your communications will be secure unless a "senior Judge" says otherwise. Which is to say they are no longer secure in any meaningful sense unless you can incorporate unbreakable end-to-end encryption, but even then your source might still be identified even if the actual contents of anything they sent remains encrypted.

#32 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

It is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or pretended, from abroad. -James Madison

I wonder how much of that law isn't already happening - prior to the law? I find it hard to believe that the listeners aren't already tracking all of this. For christsake, Google (not necessarily mutually exclusive from the security state) seems to be doing this rather well, already. And as for ISPs, I thought many of them already stored all these data, some for up to five years...maybe I was wrong?

At any rate, once these things get codified, retroactively or otherwise, you know things are getting real. The NSA learned everything it knows from GCHQ. The Empire never died, it just changed venue. 

• Sidestreet likes this

#33 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

I wonder how much of that law isn't already happening - prior to the law?

I'd guess all of it has already been happening and that the law is merely a way to make it "legitimate."

Edited by TVCasualty, 17 December 2016 - 02:29 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#34 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,143 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

WikiLeaks Got Clinton Emails From Disgusted Insiders, Not Russia

[Direct Link]

• Sidestreet likes this

#35 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Interesting.  I just sent Mr. Murray an e-mail to ask him about this at his website:  https://www.craigmur...org.uk/contact/

I'd guess all of it has already been happening and that the law is merely a way to make it "legitimate."

U.S. cellular providers already keep similar logs for up to seven years:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2393887,00.asp

http://www.nbcnews.c...ur-data-f120367

http://www.computerw...nt-access-.html

These sources are a little dated; they're from 2011.

#36 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,143 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

Remember my little anecdote about NPR and PBS?  Well, that was from a decade and a half ago.   You want to see proof of evolution?  Check this:

[Direct Link]

Then there's YouTube:

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 22 December 2016 - 10:40 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!