34 replies to this topic

#21 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

Me and hubby finally goten into the woods today and Po came for the walk too :) I didnt wanna let him off lead this first time into the woods just to test him first too see if he would wanna run off ;)

Well good thing I keept him on a long leash cause he likes to follow the deer trails :) lol only the fresh ones so I know he has good hunting instincts :) this is good to know I told him good boy when he was deep follow this one trail and he came back to me :) gotta remember that one

on the way out we got to see the birds again and he was ssso funny he jumped into the snowbank and down into the ditch and was covered in snow sneaking up on the birds on the hydro line what a funny boy nd smart too all you could see was white a bit of black sticking out from jump to jump lmao
  • Hash_Man, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

#22 catattack

catattack

Mountain Gringo Hairball ™

• OG VIP
  • 5,986 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Me and hubby finally goten into the woods today and Po came for the walk too :) I didnt wanna let him off lead this first time into the woods just to test him first too see if he would wanna run off ;)

Well good thing I keept him on a long leash cause he likes to follow the deer trails :) lol only the fresh ones so I know he has good hunting instincts :) this is good to know I told him good boy when he was deep follow this one trail and he came back to me :) gotta remember that one

on the way out we got to see the birds again and he was ssso funny he jumped into the snowbank and down into the ditch and was covered in snow sneaking up on the birds on the hydro line what a funny boy nd smart too all you could see was white a bit of black sticking out from jump to jump lmao

Will you harvest me some deer droppings? Mine are too shy lately.

Seriously, this thread makes me really happy.

• wildedibles likes this

#23 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

Po makes me laugh all the time sticking his head / nose right in the snow following the sent of the deer ....rooting almost hog like lol ....just have to look up more about hunting dog stuff now ;) ....im understanding more about why he used to wander
  • Juthro likes this

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:09 AM

....I found new white scarf / light blanket I laughed and told Po putting it on his back "now you can hide from the pidgeons" ;) lol ......I have been reading and Boxers and Labs both make good trackers ...I knew about the Lab's abilitys as a bird dog retreiving read some cool stuff on them but the boxers can trck too like some Labs are doing ....some Labs will take down a wounded deer ....well the way Po is stuborn with small cars on in town roads well I think he could handel a deer maybe a Moose or even a bear ....we just have the smaller black bear here they r still big ........Long leads are used to find the trail then off lead to get threw hard thick bush (using beeping colars or GPS :) now we have a good use for it :) I will just give him my cell and he can call me :)

My Tiny was a herding dog she was much different she would stay with her family and ignore sents well she would check it out and see if it was danger or not and let us know by moving us barking jumpping or niping at our clothing not skin her barking did scare people new people she would sit and bark at until they changed direction or somone called to her tell her what to do with the stranger ;)

LOL they both like hugs and they are too big for it knocking people over almost "down" with a down hand motion works ....Po with his boxer play sometimes its on and its play time with a buddy ...teaching no bite is important he as a strong mouth I had a german shepard dog that liked to play run jump and bite my arm always at a time I knew she was good only got threw the leather once if she wanted to she coulld take me down but didnt ;) it was play ....well with Po im glad he knows too one twist I would have a broken arm hes good tho I think he knows he dosnt use pressure just almost guming ...u can feel the strength there tho ;) big head and jaws on this boy I am sure he can help with Moose hunting too just have to walk him further to find them the trial was very nice packed down with snow machines and it wasnt deep unless you step off trail then its about knee hight or so

Edited by wildedibles, 24 December 2016 - 07:29 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#25 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

for the price of gps dog hunting collars oh my ... I will let po have me cell phone and he can text hubby and we will come find him lol
  • Juthro likes this

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:51 AM

how 2 keep salt/slush outa doggy paws? booties and socks get pulled off as soon as they go on lol
when Po gets it stuck in his paws he limps till I warm his paw up and melt it out then hes ok

#27 catattack

catattack

• OG VIP
  • 5,986 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

how 2 keep salt/slush outa doggy paws? booties and socks get pulled off as soon as they go on lol
when Po gets it stuck in his paws he limps till I warm his paw up and melt it out then hes ok

I slather on a coconut oil based "paw balm" that I got from the pet store. I imagine it's easy to make too. It helps my dumb dumb.

• wildedibles likes this

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

So do this before we go out ? I have been using coconut oil and grapeseed oil on his paws to soften them up a bit his are really ruff ...thinking thats why the salt hurts getting into the cracks but at -30C the slush will freze solid inbetween the pads....warming them up with my hand works but.....I have been warming him up in the atm machine lol I spend enough money in there to tke cash out its the least I can get for my money ;)

Po tried some new food today you can see the dried meat in it ...ah venison and turkeyhad to tell him it was cat food lmao ....actually worked for my friends pickey mini dobie too :) ....The food cost a little more but buying soft food or adding meat and gravey can end up costing more ....make sure when trying new food to save and mix the two foods get thier digestive system used to the new food ....

Edited by wildedibles, 09 January 2017 - 01:39 AM.

#29 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Po came across his first deer kill ...the wolves must have gotten the deer all that was left was fur a bit of blood on the fur....Po was so happy smelling all that out ....Po was due for another flea / tic treatment good timing just uncase its -30C Im sure all the bugs are dead but who knows whats in the fur of a deer that was cought by a wolf pack.....I am surprised that the kill happened so close to houses about 100 feet away just inside the woods ;) where the deer cross ....It looked like there was wolf tracks in the old deer tracks

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 AM

Haha making Po some front booties worked well so far anyway lol I used an old pair of my mittens and cut the thumb out and added a few strips of velcro to tighten them around his legs :) they fit I have used a small pair of socks on him outside and it worked half way down the road they fell off but he left them alone once we got outside :) lol inside he chews on them ....see how he is getting used to them
  • Tenderfoot likes this

#31 catattack

catattack

• OG VIP
  • 5,986 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Po came across his first deer kill ...the wolves must have gotten the deer all that was left was fur a bit of blood on the fur....Po was so happy smelling all that out ....Po was due for another flea / tic treatment good timing just uncase its -30C Im sure all the bugs are dead but who knows whats in the fur of a deer that was cought by a wolf pack.....I am surprised that the kill happened so close to houses about 100 feet away just inside the woods ;) where the deer cross ....It looked like there was wolf tracks in the old deer tracks

Oh my god! That's amazing! Let's crowdfund some trail cameras and get a wolf cam going!

#32 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 04:15 PM

:) My mom lives deeper in the woods and has a few pic's of the wolves / cyote eating her compost pile ;) I will see if she can email me them ;)

my bro got her a trail cam cause she likes to see what is eating the compost she leaves ;) she loves it lmao she tried to convince my boys she got pictures of a UFO on it ......lmao it was a snail on the lense it kept spaning pictures as it slided across the camra :)

Edited by wildedibles, Yesterday, 04:17 PM.

• catattack likes this

#33 catattack

catattack

• OG VIP
  • 5,986 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Now I demand WOLF PICS!

last time it was dog pics.. :biggrin:

Edited by catattack, Yesterday, 04:47 PM.

#34 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 PM

I guess they r kinda the same thing almost anyway I wouldnnt wanna rub any wolfy tummy ;) ok I will work on it prob be easier than posting my own pictures lol oh wait I got one to hold you over .......be right back ......

https://mycotopia.ne...-1429761030.jpg

check out this fox or cyote by the size of him? I had him in this thread
https://mycotopia.ne...d-life-in-town/

Edited by wildedibles, Yesterday, 08:03 PM.

#35 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,806 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Love this info on dog training I use some of it already and some well I dont and other stuff I wanna try ;) instead of bumping an old thread I wanna talk about some of it in here ........ I will tell you I broke the #1 rule but so happy I did cause the last post :) well I believe you get the dog that was meant for you as long as you are willing to try :) I am an anxious woman afraid of many things and I got a bully breed if I wasnt willing to work on my anxiety my dog could be a weapon choosing to be the leader instead of me being head pack leeder :)

When on a walk and my Po is trying to be the lead protect (stare at something being very aware of?) I have to get in his way get infront of him and the ?unknown danger that he is alerting me about.....If I was being anxious and try and pull him away or yell or etc he would see this all as him being more powerful and more incontrol of the situation and he could pull me to the danger and well we know what big dogs can do to women well smaller than them..........I have to get infront and say it isnt a danger I am ok I am boss lets go on ...... I really had to go back and be a mom to a hyper 2 year old its not yelling etc its the confidence in your voice :) something men usually got ...... be stern but loving to keep them safe....my youngest hyper boy could run down a side walk but when I said "STOP" he would stop dead in his tracks....if I didnt do this he wouldnt stop for the stop sign or lights etc he just run infront of traffic ......saftey ;) .....Po was a runner I got him before he ended up in a shelter he was headed there the other day my front door was open the one we leave and go for walks :) he could run and be outside in the street well he listened I told him to stay and he did he waited for me to be done with the door open and I went back inside and gave him lots of lovin for being a good boy for staying :)
  • Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!