39 replies to this topic

#21 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,298 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:15 PM

If you're a veteran don't be bashful about saying so. There a several thumbs on the scale anymore for giving vets hiring preference.

My sister has been an expert in her field for a couple decades and works for a contractor to the Navy. She can't move from her current position because preferred vets get every frickin' thing even though they have no experience in the job they've applied for.

Not a vet? That just makes it harder for you and every other non-vet competing for jobs.

Does your criminal history bother me? Depends on the "crime"

• Sidestreet and wildedibles like this

#22 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,377 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

I've been thinking about commercial fishing. I need to look into that.
I used to work in a little beach town that had a small fishing fleet. I remember one day one of the captains came into the shop and he was complaining that the cops did a roundup of everyone with warrants and he didn't have any crew left and not enough money to bail them all out. I could have gotten hired on the spot at thatvtime lol

Edited by dead_diver, 02 December 2016 - 06:59 PM.

• Myc, wildedibles, Juthro and 2 others like this

#23 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 4,948 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

Don't look for a job in a pizza shop get a job in a union like electrical worker union or another union like plumbers- they pay while you learn. Heating and air conditioning teks do ok . I was offered a chance to do H&C work starting @ $18 HR 15 years ago.

I know felons who make $70K or more a year on regular jobs.

Please let us know.

namaste

Construction for sure. Skilled, analytical tradesmen do pretty well. Plus you have a marketable "off grid" potential source of income once you become proficient in your chosen trade. 

Lots of folks recognize the value of trade - dentists, doctors, and other various medical professionals. I had a genuine house-call by a head-of-department, emergency department medical doctor - twice. Well, one of them was a walk-in to the actual emergency room itself. The same physician met me in the staff parking lot (where I was given permission to park) and walked me into the building. No wait, no paperwork.......walked straight into an empty exam room and was stitched-up within minutes. 

Get a trade. Plumber, HVAC, Electrical, Alarm and Security Access, .........

As long as  you weren't "heinous", your record is likely to be overlooked so long as you learned your lesson and are more serious in moving forward and improving yourself. Everybody I know who has a criminal record - was incarcerated due to a drug related offense (usually possession - rarely violence). So it was a matter of them being in the wrong place at the wrong time - because everybody does drugs these days. There is just no denying it. People understand.

Now, if you wanna work for the secret service and do drugs while protecting our President........ you're likely fucked. It's a private club and they likely won't let someone who has a prior criminal record participate. 

Don't despair.....I think construction workers have about as much fun. We just have to occasionally sweat for ours. But be careful.......if you ram a parking barricade while intoxicated, you will almost certainly go to jail (unless you're trading work with the arresting officer). 

• wildedibles, Juthro, Heirloom Spores and 1 other like this

#24 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

Well i had an interview today for a position for crappy pay but steady hours. Gotta take my own tools to boot... Anyhow, its a maintenance man position and its close enough to bike to so hopefully i get the gig, the interview went excellent and if i get a call i have got to postpone it somehow for about a week to give my system a clean two week for weed.
  • wildedibles and Ramble like this

#25 MeriJayne

MeriJayne

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:03 AM

Maybe i just need to try harder. The job hunt gets discouraging and i guess i was venting by posting this thread.

@ Cue, im a mycophile, not a pedophile.

I really wonder if half of those companies even run a check.... Have you ever tried just saying that u didnt have a record.... They might eventually find out, but at least you have a job until they do..... and if they like you, they might just look the other way....     You should not be prosecuted for MMJ anyway, you should look into getting those removed.

#26 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

I have looked into it and in my state i have to wait 10 years with zero blemishes. I wont be eligible until 2026 thanks to the local police breaking the law and entering my friends apartment with guns drawn and no warrant. They shook us down and i had a quarter of weed and now have a nice fresh charge with a $500 ticket. Gotta love it right...

#27 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,276 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:59 AM

No warrant?  How did they justify that?

I remember you posting something about this before, you got a charge for something other than weed, right?

Edited by Sidestreet, 03 December 2016 - 06:05 AM.

#28 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

No warrant?  How did they justify that?

I remember you posting something about this before, you got a charge for something other than weed, right?

Correct. They charged me with a disorderly conduct. They justified it by saying they saw someone breaking into the house. They turned out 4 deep with 3 cars for a little bit of weed. Crazy right? Shake down the friendly potheads to keep the fine money rolling in.

#29 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

Well im going to go take a piss test later today for a maintenance position and start onn Tuesday. I finally got a break after six months of looking.

Picked up a fat sack of nugs last night and some celebrate after i piss. Woot woot!

Edited by Furthur1, 10 December 2016 - 12:56 PM.

• Sidestreet, Heirloom Spores, catattack and 1 other like this

#30 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,742 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

I've got 3 felony convictions, 6 arrests. 3 were dropped when i plead guilty

in the typical "charge 'em high plead 'em low" fashion that has become normal

in our justice system. 4/6 charges were for a fight, a really heinous one at that.

I haven't been able to get a job that required a background check since then. 

I can't vote, can't get a passport, can't ever own a firearm. Can't even get it expunged. 

It could be much worse for you, OP. 

I started my own business, because that's the only way I could find gainful

employment. Find something you enjoy doing, and make money doing it. Being

your own boss or taking a trade are likely the only ways you're going to be successful. 

• Sidestreet, Juthro, Heirloom Spores and 1 other like this

#31 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,298 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

Unless I'm mistaken construction/trades and computer related are where the real money will be for people with records. Not sure how much longer the computer/network bubble can expand and keep expanding before there are just too many people for jobs that can be done by the programming machines when they are designed and take over.

In the meantime buildings and roads  and cabinets will still need to be built, plumbing will need to be built and repaired, electrical wires will need to be pulled and serviced.....

and it looks to me like the fresh faced generations just behind us aren't into physical labor. Not the males, anyway.

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#32 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:24 AM

It just seems absurd that we call it 'rehabilitation' while stripping an individual of any opportunity to participate in the daily affairs of the nation.

How can a person possibly contribute to society in a positive manner when he/she has been entirely excluded from it? Why would a person want to for that matter?

It would seem difficult to avoid a life of crime when the legitimate job market becomes a members only club. It would seem fruitless to take an interest in the betterment of the State if your voice counts for nothing.

If you've done time, you've paid the debt. Whether the laws broken were just or not. You are not a 2nd rate person or citizen.

Sincere thanks to everyone who's posted ideas for financial gain and employment options.

If you can't vote and wish you could, remember what Mark Twain wrote: "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it."
  • Sidestreet, Heirloom Spores, Furthur1 and 1 other like this

#33 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,276 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:27 AM

It just seems absurd that we call it 'rehabilitation' while stripping an individual of any opportunity to participate in the daily affairs of the nation.

How can a person possibly contribute to society in a positive manner when he/she has been entirely excluded from it? Why would a person want to for that matter?

You're totally right on this point.  A felony conviction is a life sentence in many ways that have nothing to do with a jail/prison sentence or a term of probation.

The American Bar Association created a database of all of the collateral consequences of convictions.  You can look them up by type of conviction and by each state.  Combine those consequences with the fact that about 1 in 3 Americans has some kind of criminal record and you have disfranchisement on a grand scale.

If you can't vote and wish you could, remember what Mark Twain wrote: "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it."

While I don't agree that voting makes no difference (imagine how the nation and the world would look different if we had 100% participation-- and imagine if all of the people with drug felonies could vote on legalization), there are certainly many other ways to make an impact.

Edited by Sidestreet, 11 December 2016 - 07:35 AM.

• ChimX, Alder Logs, Heirloom Spores and 1 other like this

#34 RiK

RiK

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

Hey bro! Good to see you here!
Did you land that job and smoke a fat bowl to celebrate? Man, screw those corrupt cops! Makes me want to move to a state where it's legal to have cannabis in your possession.
Hope you're in a safe space where you can grow shrooms! :thumbs_up2: :weedpoke:
  • Heirloom Spores, catattack and Furthur1 like this

#35 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

Thanks RiK. I did get the job and i smoked a blunt to celebrate! Now keeping the job will be the trick, like everywhere else the place is full of lazy folk just barely making patterns on brain scanners.

Edited by Furthur1, 16 January 2017 - 07:06 AM.

• catattack likes this

#36 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,422 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

If it was the maintenance job, and that's where the rest of the workforce are the flat-liners; I was in a situation like that once.   They moved me almost immediately from maintenance, where one senior guy had it pretty much covered and didn't want help or to have to find work for me, to janitorial shit.  It was sad for me because I have always been a Mr. Fixit, and I love doing that kind of work, and to be paid for it would have been a dream.  

So, I was put on the cleaning staff.  Here's where the flat-liners expected to have their workloads lowered by the addition of another flat-liner.   The senior guy could pull more slack by having me do what he was having to do before.  The trouble arose when I would finish the tasks he gave me and return for the next shitty job.  Suddenly, the guy started thinking I was out for his shitty job and could do his whole schtick and he would be outed to management.   He really set out to make the job as miserable for me as he could after that.  I put in for a transfer and got a total slave driver for my next immediate boss.  As the gods and goddesses would have it, while walking down the road one evening not too long after that, I met a guy who, after a few minutes of conversation, told me he could get me a job where he worked,  and it was the best job, with the highest pay, and the best hours I had ever had.   I got fired from that job a few days after I had decided to quit (for reasons of spiritual realization that came in an acid trip).   It's an amazing life.

• Sidestreet, pastyoureyes and Furthur1 like this

#37 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 351 posts

Donator

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:58 AM

I am wanted for questioning but no one can seem to figure out what to ask me. 

#38 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 351 posts

Donator

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:59 AM

Can I go back to work now?

#39 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,276 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

?

#40 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,620 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

It seems that helping those with felony convictions find jobs has become an Internet cottage industry.

One site (among many) lists almost 140 companies that they describe as "felon-friendly," and some are kind of surprising, like LSG Sky Chefs (which stocks food on planes for various airlines): http://jobsthathirefelons.org/

It's looking like our rather overzealous "Justice" system is starting to force employers to reconsider policies of automatically disqualifying an applicant for having a criminal record. So many people have one now that the pool of potential hires without such a record (especially for unskilled/entry-level positions) has been shrinking to the point where employers will start being forced to hire someone with a record or leave the position unfilled (which may already be happening in some fields).

Frankly, at this point having a felony conviction has become so common that the stigma is diminishing, at least relative to how it was in previous decades. After all, it's hard to be harshly judge and act smugly superior towards people who are in the same situation that you yourself (meaning anyone) or someone you care about is in, too.

• kcmoxtractor, Juthro and catattack like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!