• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:14 PM

Has anyone noticed the suspicious absence of the online mushroom cultivation communities in the news media? 

Whenever I hear about a mushroom bust, or any other psychedelics for that matter, in the (semi)popular media, I tend to read/listen carefully as to how the bust originally came about.  I have yet to hear of a single mention of online communities like Mycotopia or Shroomery.  If at all, it is mentioned that the information needed to obtain/produce psychedelics can be found online, with certainly no mention of governmental infiltration of these sites.

How comfortable are people posting potentially illegal acts? Are you not worried that you become a target based on your posts?

Does anyone with an IT background have a solid understanding of how secure these kinds of forums are?

• Sidestreet, wildedibles, niemandgeist and 2 others like this

#2 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:34 PM

l use tor to access this site, i have no real expectation that it will keep 3 letter agency's off my back, but we dont have to many up here and it should keep my local police force clueless to what im doing. I have also never posted an illegal picture, but i might change that sooner or later.

Take what ever steps you feel necessary to keep yourself safe, doubt there going to bust anyone for reading here. I have had an investigation on me for using a site like this ie. special garbage men lol.

Thats the bigger rule if your growing, sort your garbage, if there going to try for a warrant there going to scoop your garbage.

Edited by Pan1, 30 November 2016 - 11:46 PM.

• wildedibles, Psilosophie and Gnomesayin like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,568 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:53 PM

Remember the golden rule.....

If you don't want your significant other, your mother, your boss, your priest, and the entire law enforcement community to see it..... Don't post it here... (or anywhere else on the web, for that matter)

But even the paranoid can get help here, they just have to read about what someone's friend of a friend did, and learn from their experiences :)
  • wildedibles and niemandgeist like this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

SWIM made me post it.

• wildedibles and niemandgeist like this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:37 AM

mycotopia and shroomery are mentioned a lot n the mushroom groups on facebook.. and in related news articles.. i use mushrooms as a medicine for migraine and PTSD, there are many sites dedicated to the subject.. unless you are growing for profit, i would not worry about LEO coming and busting you lil grow-op.. But of course you want to divulge as lil incriminating info as possible. I personally am pretty lax and will stay that way.

• Coopdog and wildedibles like this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:39 AM

It makes wonder what other things someone is involved in to actually get "Busted" for psychedelics?
  • wildedibles, Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#7 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:03 AM

delete

Edited by Pan1, 01 December 2016 - 01:11 AM.

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:07 AM

It makes wonder what other things someone is involved in to actually get "Busted" for psychedelics?

Yeah cause they never bust anybody for manufacturing lsd lol
You have any links to anyone manufacturing LSD recently that wasn't involved in sales or anything else? Or had a girlfriend that called them in?

Edited by coorsmikey, 01 December 2016 - 01:09 AM.

#9 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:12 AM

NO, But just because they leave us alone, doesnt mean there going to always.

And i can give you user names of legal cannabis users that have been busted for growing in my country that have every legal right to grow.

Edited by Pan1, 01 December 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:23 AM

Right! But if you keep everything else in line with what society expects us to live up too its really hard to get busted with psychedelics. Stay away from the hard drugs, register your vehicle and mow your lawn on a consistent basis. Treat your girl right or don't let her into the Loop. Pay your taxes and blend in with society. Don't do stupid shit. Blah blah blah just don't give anyone a reason to suspect or want to burn you, then the odds of getting busted get much lower. Like wharf said earlier don't post more than a small Grow here or there. But most of don't tell anyone but the people that have to be involved if you're manufacturing LSD, that also works well with the lower profile shit too!

Edited by coorsmikey, 01 December 2016 - 01:28 AM.

• Hash_Man, wildedibles, Juthro and 1 other like this

#11 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:04 AM

If someone is manufacturing LSD, they're not trying to figure out how to tweak their martha to get optimum grows. Holy christ. 

• Hash_Man, coorsmikey, ethnobotanist420 and 2 others like this

#12 Gnomesayin

Gnomesayin

Loph Whisperer

• Black VIP
  • 309 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:40 AM

Like many stated before me. I don't think LEO is gonna just down doors over a post online. However one should take precautions like tor browsers and vpns. And again stated above. If one takes proper precautions, offline like leaving windows  closed that may peer into a grow, and don't leave cultivating shit outside if it doesnt blend with your yard. But in my opinion most importantly.. Don't throw away substrate, jars, syringes or other paraphernalia into your own trash. Gnomesayin?!

• Sidestreet, wildedibles and Pan1 like this

#13 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:09 AM

I think they leave us alone in hopes of someone making a break in science and then stealing the "tek" for their own uses.
  • wildedibles and CatsAndBats like this

#14 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

I don't deal with hypotheticals
  • Coopdog likes this

#15 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:47 AM

Right! But if you keep everything else in line with what society expects us to live up too its really hard to get busted with psychedelics. Stay away from the hard drugs, register your vehicle and mow your lawn on a consistent basis. Treat your girl right or don't let her into the Loop. Pay your taxes and blend in with society. Don't do stupid shit. Blah blah blah just don't give anyone a reason to suspect or want to burn you, then the odds of getting busted get much lower. Like wharf said earlier don't post more than a small Grow here or there. But most of don't tell anyone but the people that have to be involved if you're manufacturing LSD, that also works well with the lower profile shit too!

I feel like it's about risk management, or if you will, keeping the odds high.  The question to ask is: what things can you do to make trouble less likely?  Of course, like with pregnancy, the only sure way to be safe is abstinence.  But who wants to stop having sex?  Wear a condom.

• coorsmikey, wildedibles, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#16 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,204 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

Has anyone noticed the suspicious absence of the online mushroom cultivation communities in the news media? 

Whenever I hear about a mushroom bust, or any other psychedelics for that matter, in the (semi)popular media, I tend to read/listen carefully as to how the bust originally came about.  I have yet to hear of a single mention of online communities like Mycotopia or Shroomery.  If at all, it is mentioned that the information needed to obtain/produce psychedelics can be found online, with certainly no mention of governmental infiltration of these sites.

How comfortable are people posting potentially illegal acts? Are you not worried that you become a target based on your posts?

Does anyone with an IT background have a solid understanding of how secure these kinds of forums are?

Yes

we should worrie if we r breaking the law.....so don't beak the law and post it ........usually its a closer real life person that rats people out but by then all your computer stuff is fare game for officials to read so be careful ;)
now all the mushrooms I collect are spore printed for microscopic identification purposes only unless they are edible :)

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,204 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

I think they leave us alone in hopes of someone making a break in science and then stealing the "tek" for their own uses.

:) Thanks best laugh of the day :)

#18 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,838 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

The last Bust I heard of for mushrooms was two college students selling cannabis and shrooms and way to many people knew they were growing.

• Sidestreet and wildedibles like this

#19 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

Wow thanks for the replies everybody!

I was using TOR for a while but I later read comments that the network has been infiltrated.  By using TOR, you are putting yourself into a much smaller pool of folks likely doing shady things, and within that pool are agents looking for people doing sketchy things.  Therefore, you may be better off using popular browsers to blend into the ?billions? of internet users doing day-to-day browsing. 

I have heard and considered the argument that LEOs don't care about your tiny grows...but then I see shit like this: http://www.informati...n.com/?id=51681and I reconsider.  I guess its much like being attacked by a wild animal - its about stacking odds and avoiding being easy prey. 

I feel like it's about risk management, or if you will, keeping the odds high.  The question to ask is: what things can you do to make trouble less likely?  Of course, like with pregnancy, the only sure way to be safe is abstinence.  But who wants to stop having sex?  Wear a condom.

I tend to agree.  In a sense, our Western laws do very well at permitting drug use while maintaining order.  As long as you don't provide evidence (i.e. keep your drug use under control/incognito), then no one has the right to investigate. Its when you get out of control with it, that probable cause is presented and thus, the opportunity to bust. 

And similarly, the points made about being ratted on by someone you know, as opposed to being discovered by the law, is well taken. 

But all in all, a friend of a friend completed a stellar mexicana grow that I would really like to share with the community (so he can have his ego voraciously stroked by mycophiles).   Obviously the best way not to get busted is not to post anything illegal,  Its just so damn tempting! Particularly since there seems to be a large number of people who post photos of illegal grows.  Whether or not they get busted, I guess, is not confirmable.  Are you all sensing my subtle mind games to get you to encourage me to post?

What about practical information? Scrubbing photos, etc? I'd never post smartphone pics but still.

• Sidestreet and coorsmikey like this

#20 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

Posting here is relatively safe IMO, if you're careful not to provide identifying info. VPNs are good, but they are just one part of a Privacy Plan. In almost fifteen years in the online mushroom community, I've never heard of someone getting busted simply for things that they've posted. It's always for something they were doing IRL.

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 December 2016 - 04:56 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!