#1 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Tao Te  Ching  PDF posted for fun. I had some great dreams after thinking on what I read.

shalom

Attached Files

• Sidestreet, Hash_Man, ChimX and 6 others like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

When you see Lao-tzu, tell him I could not have said it any better.

• Heirloom likes this

#3 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,743 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

Most Excellent HS! I think I may buy this, as the PDF scan seems to have dropped a lot of letters. It's still readable of course, but this has some great stuff in it.
  • Heirloom likes this

#4 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

I thought I would buy another copy myself , I gave away the first one I had.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:23 AM

[Direct Link]

• Heirloom likes this

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:43 AM

Here's some others

The first one is larger sized file as you can see. That's one high quality PDF!

File 1 

Tao Te Ching

Award-winning translator Red Pine, renders the classic Chinese text into exquisite English in a breakthrough translation that includes for the first time essential commentaries, considered by Chinese scholars to be vital to understanding the wisdom of Taoism.

File 2

Tao Te Ching : Annotated & Explained (SkyLight Illuminations) 

Attached Files

Edited by hyphaenation, 05 December 2016 - 01:14 AM.

• Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

gallery_131808_1351_43.jpg

#8 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,743 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

Did you take that picture if him yourself Alder?
  • Alder Logs and Heirloom like this

#9 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,245 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:58 PM

Historian, author, martial artist and podcast host (of both History On Fire and The Drunken Taoist), Daniele Bolelli has a well done, non-literal, non-academic lecture series on Taoism. It's $10 but worth it, imo (even though it sounds like it, I make no money from this).

It's in 16 Parts:

Personal Qualities

Cosmology

Rationality

Wu Wei

Epistemological Anarchism

Outlaw Morality

Leadership

Elitist

War

Wealth

Tao Is the Shit

Heraclitus

Examples

• Heirloom likes this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

Alan Watts says this is the follow-up to a previous talk on the Tao; anyone know where to find that audio?  This one is really good:

[Direct Link]

#11 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Alder , I have not heard from Allan Watts in such a long time. I have forgotten to much.

I highly suggest downloading  the above . I find this to speak directly to me, expanding my consciousness.

So much truth it serves to get a person high.

• Alder Logs and SteampunkScientist like this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

That audio book I embedded in post #5 was taken down.  Someone else has put it back up. 

I just got called by the bookstore a few minutes ago to learn that my new copy of that edition with the commentary on the end (which is actually the introduction to that edition) has come in and is waiting for me.  

So, here it is again:

[Direct Link]

#13 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

"The Way of Heaven is like the drawing of a bow: it brings down what is high and raises what is low.

It is the Way of Heaven to take from those who have too much, and give to those who have too little.

But the way of man is not so. He takes away from those who have too little, to add to his own superabundance.

What man is there that can take of his own superabundance and give it to mankind? Only he who possesses Tao."

• Skywatcher, Alder Logs and Heirloom like this

#14 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

Ancient wisdom is so relevant today. This should be taught by parents to their children. Having said that , I am going to buy some more copies to give to the young I know. I will offer them a reward if they can prove they read it . The copies cost around $2 but the wisdom is beyond measure.

I could see some people saying this ancient wisdom is political others spiritual. The truth is often considered subversive and dangerous to some groups especially societies elite.

I enjoy
  • ChimX, Skywatcher and SteampunkScientist like this

#15 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Maybe its one of those " you are chosen" things but offering a copy of the Tao is not welcomed with the open arms that one hopes for.

I was at a Tai Chi (&Qi Gong) class today and experienced the most awesome thing concerning energy flow. I was experiencing a natural altered state of consciousness prior to my Teacher schooling me in energy flow.

This really made an impact on me and I was amazed and perplexed trying to understand in language what can primarly only be experienced being difficult to explain in English.

This copy n paste has to do with energy Tai Chi and the Tao and tries to explain what should be experienced and then reflected on. one can heal by directing energy flow and do what seems to be unexplainable to most.

Energy Movements and the Qi Flow

Tai Chi: The Special Energy Movements
By Erle Montaigue: June 2008

"By now, most people know that the Tai Chi form activates Qi in the 12 main channels as it would be activated in a 24 hour period. This activation keeps the body in perfect balance both internally and physically and gives the body a better chance of healing itself. This has been evident to me on many occasions such as two days ago when I could hardly walk due to my old "war injury" coming back to haunt me with a vengeance. But I persisted in my morning training doing the Old Yang Style very slowly and easily plus the Bagua circular form, also taking it easy. Half way through the Tai Chi form, I noticed that the pain had gone from my right knee and when I had finished the Bagua form, there was no sign of any pain or weakness in that knee. I could walk, jump and run again perfectly. Such are the healing powers of the Internal Systems.

However, there is another energy healing system inherent in the Tai Chi form which is just as potent and often even more pertinent to one's health as it strikes are particular illnesses and conditions via the "Extra Meridians" as we do the form.

This "Special Energy Movement" also gives us a way to see how we are going with reference to our internalising of the form. You will only feel these energy flows when you are really getting there and everything that you are supposed to be doing is working. Like being in a state of "Sung" and each part of the body moving in complete harmony, beginning and finishing at exactly the same time, moving like a perfect sine wave, being at one with the world around you, taking it all in as you move etc. Only then will you actually feel the energy moving through the "Extra" meridians thus giving you more power for the fighting art as well as more power for healing of self and for healing of others.

It's difficult to try to explain what that feeling is like as everyone is different in their perception of energy flow. The old masters simply said that the "Qi Rises Up The Back", as that was the only way they could describe it.

It is these special qi flows that keep us wanting to do Tai Chi as it feels great and mornings do not become a drudge, having to do your workout. It become a joy and something that you can't wait to get out and do each morning with the birds and other animals as they wake up from the night. And once you are aware of these energy qi flows, it really teaches you how exactly to perform the postures of the form as it is the energy that causes your arms to move this or that way. For instance from the movement after the "Lower Chee" in the Old style, the Double Spear Hands, and into "Arn", once you are aware of the special energy flow for that movement, your arms will not simply come straight forward after the two elbow strikes, but rather they will open out slightly thus opening up the both arm Kwas and spiralling the arms out and down into "Arn".

Not all of the Tai Chi energy movements have these special qi flows. Only those special postures and energy movements from those postures have the Qi Flow through the "Extra Meridians". For instance, the first Special Qi Flow that you will become aware of as you progress, will be from the posture of Sit Back (after the 2nd Chee Posture" into Arn during the series of energy movements called " Grasping Swallow's Tail". You will feel a huge build up of energy in the tantien area which then raises up the back, over the head and into the arms. This energy qi flow is excellent for the brain and for gaining internal power in the arms and upper body.

Other Special Qi Flows go from the ground, into the right K1 point (for males, reverse for females) and up the right side of the body, then over the head and down the left side and into the ground via the Left K1 point. This is the case in the "Preparation" posture right at the beginning of the form and this flow grounds the body causing it to be in complete harmony with the ground or earth ready for the next energy movements. This initial preparation prepares us for the form practice and represents basically, the whole body which is why I always pay particular attention to getting this movement correct as it is the foundation of the whole form. Other energy flows will work with special postures to send energy through the "Girdle Meridian" which passes through a whole bunch of points on important meridians and joins them up around the waist. This one is probably the most difficult to detect. However, it does become apparent when you are able to just do the form! When I say, "Just do it", this is probably the most important aspect of one's training as we as humans all think too much and theorize about what we are doing. Once you have the movement and can do the whole form without any conscious thought, you just DO IT. Do not try to be doing Tai Chi, do not try to look good, you are on your own. Don't try to hold your balance, just move in accordance with what the energy is telling you. This will cause your form to take on a different aspect, you will notice that the "Kwa" will open more and often, your palms will be activating the Qi and manifesting it automatically and most importantly, you will begin to FEEL the Energy flows through the extra meridians.

I have begun many times to do a video about these special flows of energy, however, I have found it quite difficult as conscious thought must not be a part of Tai Chi movement! So I am trying to simply do my own form practice and after, then write down what I was and where I was feeling the energy flows so that others will be able to get there a little quicker than my some 35 years!"

In many extant t'ai chi classic writings the dependence of t'ai chi ch'uan on Chinese philosophy is acknowledged. T'ai chi teachers have historically asserted that the principles of tai chi chuan practice can be applied to a student's lifestyle

'T'ai chi ch'uan' is often translated supreme ultimate pugilism or boundless fist. This refers to the ancient Chinese martial art. However, in terms of philosophy t'ai chi has a wider meaning. The concept of t'ai chi or the Supreme Ultimate is used in various Chinese philosophical schools, usually to represent the contrast in opposing categories, or the interplay of those categories usually termed yin and yang. These abstract terms represent the relationships used to describe perceived opposites in the phenomenal world: full and empty, movement and stillness, soft and hard, light and dark, hot and cold, et cetera. This scheme has had a lasting influence in traditional Chinese culture, shaping theory in schools as diverse as Confucianism, Taoism, Legalism and, to a lesser extent, Chan Buddhism, as well as traditional Chinese medicine and feng shui. T'ai chi ch'uan, a relatively recent development compared to the aforementioned schools[3][4] was even named by some of its earliest known exponents after the t'ai chi concept,[5] possibly as late as the mid-nineteenth

In the "Forty Chapter" t'ai chi classic text supplied by Yang Pan-hou to Wu Ch'uan-yu in the late nineteenth century, there are the following references to the philosophy of t'ai chi ch'uan as applied to a practitioner's lifestyle:

An Explanation of the Spiritual and Martial in Tai Chi

The spiritual is the essence, the martial is the application. Spiritual development in the realm of martial arts is applied through the ching (metabolic energy), ch'i (breath energy) and shen (spiritual energy) - the practise of physical culture. When the martial is matched with the spiritual and it is experienced in the body and mind, this then is the practise of martial arts. With the spiritual and martial we must speak of "firing time," for their development unfolds according to the proper sequence. This is the root of physical culture. Therefore, the practise of the martial arts in a spiritual way is soft-style exercise, the sinew power of ching, ch'i and shen. When the martial arts are practical in an exclusively martial way, this is hard style, or simply brute force. The spiritual without martial training is essence without application; the martial without spiritual accompaniment is application without essence. A lone pole cannot stand, a single palm cannot clap. This is not only true of physical culture and martial arts, but all things are subject to this principle. The spiritual is internal principle; the martial is external skill. External skill without internal principle is simply physical ferocity. This is a far cry from the original nature of the art, and by bullying an opponent one eventually invites disaster. To understand the internal principles without the external skill is simply an armchair art. Without knowing the applications, one will be lost in an actual confrontation. When it comes to applying this art, one cannot afford to ignore the significance of the two words: spiritual and martial.

An Explanation of the Three Levels of the Spiritual and Martial in Tai Chi

Without self-cultivation, there would be no means of realising the Tao. Nevertheless, the methods of practise can be divided into three levels. The term level means attainment. The highest level is the great attainment; the lowest level is the lesser attainment; the middle level is the attainment of sincerity. Although the methods are divided into three levels of practise, the attainment is one. The spiritual is cultivated internally and the martial externally; physical culture is internal and martial arts external. Those whose practise is successful both internally and externally reach the highest level of attainment. Those who master the martial arts through the spiritual aspect of physical culture, and those who master the spiritual aspect of physical culture through the martial arts attain the middle level. However, those who know only physical culture but not the martial arts, or those who know only the martial arts without physical culture represent the lowest levels of attainment.

An Explanation of the Martial Aspect of T’ai Chi

As a martial art, T’ai Chi is externally a soft exercise, but internally hard, even as it seeks softness. If we are externally soft, after a long time we will naturally develop internal hardness. It’s not that we consciously cultivate hardness, for in reality our mind is on softness. What is difficult is to remain internally reserved, to possess hardness without expressing it, always externally meeting the opponent with softness. Meeting hardness with softness causes the opponent’s hardness to be transformed and disappear into nothingness. How can we acquire this skill? When we have mastered sticking, adhering, connecting and following, we will naturally progress from conscious movement to interpreting energy and finally spiritual illumination and the realm of absolute transcendence. If our skill has not reached absolute transcendence, how could we manifest the miracle of four ounces moving a thousand pounds? It is simply a matter of “understanding sticky movement” to the point of perfecting the subtlety of seeing and hearing.[2]

An Explanation of the Spiritual and Martial in Tai Chi

If the essence of material substances lies in their phenomenological reality, then the presence of the ontological status of abstract objects shall become clear in the final culmination of the energy that is derived from oneness and the Real. How can man learn this truth? By truly seeking that which is the shadow of philosophy and the charge of all living substances, that of the nature of the divine.

T'ai chi ch'uan philosophy

https://en.wikipedia...'uan_philosophy

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

My left shoulder acted up a month and a half ago with no known cause (perhaps I did something to it in my sleep), and it now prevents me from many of my 12 basic Qi Gong exercises (Ye Gun Gin) by way of more pain than I can take, the pain remaining for long moments after getting into whatever painful position set it off.  Most any Tai Chi-like motions would definitely be out of the question.   Reaching into the fridge for vegetables for the juicer can stop me dead in my tracks.  My Chinese medicine naturopath gave me exercises to fix it but they don't seem to be doing anything.   I need to heal first before I can do the healing movements is seems.

Right now, I am up to doing only one of these three:

gallery_131808_1351_2217.jpg

Attached File  YiGunGin.pdf   360.5KB   45 downloads

Edited by Alder Logs, 15 June 2017 - 05:19 PM.

• Arathu, Heirloom and shrooms2017 like this

#17 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:36 AM

My left shoulder acted up a month and a half ago with no known cause (perhaps I did something to it in my sleep), and it now prevents me from many of my 12 basic Qi Gong exercises (Ye Gun Gin) by way of more pain than I can take, the pain remaining for long moments after getting into whatever painful position set it off.  Most any Tai Chi-like motions would definitely be out of the question.   Reaching into the fridge for vegetables for the juicer can stop me dead in my tracks.  My Chinese medicine naturopath gave me exercises to fix it but they don't seem to be doing anything.   I need to heal first before I can do the healing movements is seems.

Right now, I am up to doing only one of these three:

gallery_131808_1351_2217.jpg

attachicon.gifYiGunGin.pdf

Well......I'll be sending Reishi to you shortly, as soon as I get it dried.........sounds like a bursitis issue............hope it feels better soon brother.....

A

• Alder Logs, Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#18 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:34 AM

Alder, sounds like you've been working like a monk. I hope you get better. Reishi sounds awesome. I was lucky enough to get some myself. Now to make a tincture.

I wish our leaders would study and lead as the Tao/Dao instructs.

Edited by Heirloom , 23 June 2017 - 12:36 AM.

#19 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:37 AM

TAO In Everyday Life

https://www.youtube....80MkLEE4&t=766s
  • Alder Logs likes this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,084 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

Heirloom, did you mean for that link to start in the middle of the video?   This is why it did not embed; it was not the full video.   Here it is, from the top.

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!