• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Alright, so Me and Cat talked about this a lil bit, and any input would be appreciated, that being said;
Do any of you think it would be possible to successfully colonize Cordyceps off of other dried mushrooms? I ask because the cell walls of mushrooms are composed of chitin, as are the exoskeletons of insects, which is typically where we would find cordyceps in nature. Think PF Tek, but with "mushroom flour" instead of Rice flour, using a really woody mushroom, like reishi or turkey tail.
Thoughts?
  • riseabovethought, Needles, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#2 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:44 PM

I have been wondering if there would be a substitute for worm larvae too. Some other source of protein maybe. If you have the supplies give it a try. I like the cake idea. I have been using whole eggs but maybe mixing beaten eggs in a cake may work as a source of protein. One could use blended meats. I know some of the broth recipes I have used ask for peptone. Another thing to consider is Cordyceps likes a lower PH level than other mushrooms. This is a cool idea for growing Cordyceps.....
  • CatsAndBats and GLP like this

#3 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,812 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

So, its sort of like a holy grail among myco- researchers because if you can do it, it'll basically make you rich, so yeah!  Fucking try!  Its worth a shit ton of money to culture this mushroom artificially, and so far it looks like very few people (if any- some say its never been done) have even come close.  Its definitely something we all should be working on, IMHO, along with your white truffle experiments.  Please do try your best and report on your efforts.  I know plenty have tried but it remains an open challenge to all capable mycologists.  

There are different types of chitin as well.  The one you want is soft, like the catepillar larva, which makes me think that your idea could work- but it'd have to be a soft tasty chitin..  And another thought comes to mind - Mad Cow disease was discovered to be caused by feeding cow meat to other cows- kindof a biological switch discouraging canabalism....Soooooo, feeding a fungus to a fungus might not work for that reason, but then again if the genetics are far enough apart, maybe...Meaning you'll want to use a soft chitin that is as far removed from O. Sinensis as possible (for genetic diversity) might be your best bet.

Edited by riseabovethought, 08 December 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

So, its sort of like a holy grail among myco- researchers because if you can do it, it'll basically make you rich, so yeah!  Fucking try!  Its worth a shit ton of money to culture this mushroom artificially, and so far it looks like very few people (if any- some say its never been done) have even come close.  Its definitely something we all should be working on, IMHO, along with your white truffle experiments.  Please do try your best and report on your efforts.  I know plenty have tried but it remains an open challenge to all capable mycologists.  

Are you talking about fruiting cordyceps sinensis or fruiting cordyceps militaris?

#5 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,812 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

Im talking about Sinensis, but Militaris comes up a lot too...

[Direct Link]

• Microbe likes this

#6 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,812 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Here's Militaris

[Direct Link]

• Microbe likes this

#7 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,812 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

A Sinensis overview also explains why its so important to home- culture this fungus 

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 08 December 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#8 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Right on, thanks for the input guys. I may as well take a whack at it!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#9 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,812 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

This one might help, but it started me thinking- maybe it'd be easier to cultivate it outdoors, assuming there are larvae in the soil wherever you put it.  Maybe on a hill.  It might take a coupla years to get it right but that'd be well worth it if it worked!  One could also farm catepillars there, so all the necessary ingredients are available.  Hmm, that'd be awesome! 

[Direct Link]

Here's what i was looking for

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 08 December 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

This one might help, but it started me thinking- maybe it'd be easier to cultivate it outdoors, assuming there are larvae in the soil wherever you put it.  Maybe it could be farmed outdoors, on a hill.  It might take a coupla years to get it right but that'd be well worth it if it worked!  One could also farm catepillars there, so all the necessary ingredients are available.  Hmm, that'd be awesome! 

[Direct Link]

Have you seen the other current cordy threads @rise?

https://mycotopia.ne...ycep-militaris/

https://mycotopia.ne...is-homemade-rx/

• riseabovethought likes this

#11 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,812 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

Ahh, there we go.  Where have I been?  Thank you Cat!  I got all excited!   :blink:

• CatsAndBats likes this

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

Ahh, there we go.  Where have I been?  Thank you Cat!  I got all excited!   :blink:

Oh we are excited too!

• Ramble likes this

#13 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

I have been wondering if there would be a substitute for worm larvae too. Some other source of protein maybe. If you have the supplies give it a try. I like the cake idea. I have been using whole eggs but maybe mixing beaten eggs in a cake may work as a source of protein.

I read somewhere that 30% of most mushrooms is protein, do you think it would suffice?

#14 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

I have been wondering if there would be a substitute for worm larvae too. Some other source of protein maybe. If you have the supplies give it a try. I like the cake idea. I have been using whole eggs but maybe mixing beaten eggs in a cake may work as a source of protein.

I read somewhere that 30% of most mushrooms is protein, do you think it would suffice?

It would be worth a try, I think protein has a lot to do with this strain fruiting. I have seen videos of Asians having huge success with fruiting from bags. There have been other videos of successful grows. Nowhere that I have found has anyone wanted to share there substrate secrets.
I still like the idea of making PF style cakes. It may be a easy way to find the just right substrate....
  • CatsAndBats and Ramble like this

#15 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

Experiment time!!! Get on it @Catattack! Lol

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

Fine. :biggrin:

• Ramble likes this

#17 peptorepto

peptorepto

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

I'm sure you could buy pure chitin as a supplement online...

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,271 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

Experiment time!!! Get on it @Catattack! Lol

Just got cordyceps sinensis from a very generous person, so I'm all in. Plus I been growin' em. Tag you're it!

• Needles, GLP and Ramble like this

#19 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

Dammnit, fine

#20 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

I am watching the Masters as they tackle this endeavor, I have interest in it also but many other details must fall in to place for me to make this happen. But I am sitting in the background watching. :ph34r:

• CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!