35 replies to this topic

#21 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

Possible?  Hell I'm doing it tonight! 

I don't see why it wouldn't work as all the cordy mushrooms do is metabolize the skeletons of the insects which are chitin same as mushrooms.  I think they mushrooms would have to be dried but I've got tons of those laying around.

• Ramble likes this

#22 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:18 AM

I don't see why it wouldn't work as all the cordy mushrooms do is metabolize the skeletons of the insects which are chitin same as mushrooms.  I think they mushrooms would have to be dried but I've got tons of those laying around.

My thoughts exactly! Use dried mushroom powder in place of rice flour and make a cake out of it :) Keep me posted

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,109 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:47 AM

My thoughts exactly! Use dried mushroom powder in place of rice flour and make a cake out of it :) Keep me posted

What's your plan Mr. Ramble?

#24 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

It should be noted that when feeding a species to a same species, mad cow began when farmer's fed ground up dead cow meat to other cows.  It is said that one species should not feed on the same species.  I think its a general rule of biology.  But I really do like the idea of feeding myc ground up shrimp shells and maybe ground up insects instead of grain.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#25 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,109 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

Do they really need chitin?

#26 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Did you use any sort of substance that may have contained chitin? Because your trays looked awesome as they were fruiting.

#27 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,109 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Did you use any sort of substance that may have contained chitin? Because your trays looked awesome as they were fruiting.

Just standard 50:50, probably trace amounts in my catattives which are primarily eggshells.

• Needles likes this

#28 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Just standard 50:50, probably trace amounts in my catattives which are primarily eggshells.
It sounds like it has more to do with the inbound organelles than the exoskeleton of the hosts it infects. I know one thing that your success with C. Militar is has been a inspiration for all of us.
I started to make some cakes with different proteins added. So we shall see. ..
  • riseabovethought and CatsAndBats like this

#29 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:34 AM

Basically a simple PF Tek with powdered mushroom in place of BRF.

#30 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,109 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

Basically a simple PF Tek with powdered mushroom in place of BRF.

I'm with @riseabovethought, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to train it to eat other fungi. Pulling something out of the waste stream that contains chitin is my instinct on that. Perhaps a restaurant that has a lot of shrimp shell waste, or a fertilizer waste or bait waste, etc.. If you do use mush waste I'd use it in trace amounts.

Remember that you are training an already aggressive, parasitic mycelium to eat a new food source and you could end up with something funky to say the least.

but at least you'd get to name it before they became our new overlords... :tinfoil:

• riseabovethought likes this

#31 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

Maybe they would let me keep my sentience instead of making me a cordycep zombie. I think you guys are probably right, but there arent many, (if any) seafood resteraunts relatively close to me... hmmm, perhaps amazon will have something

#32 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,109 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Maybe they would let me keep my sentience instead of making me a cordycep zombie. I think you guys are probably right, but there arent many, (if any) seafood resteraunts relatively close to me... hmmm, perhaps amazon will have something

breed crickets,  they have them at petsmart, you'd have to grind them methinks

#33 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

No petsmart here either :p haha, but i did find this...

https://www.alibaba....0503320056.html

#34 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

It should be noted that when feeding a species to a same species, mad cow began when farmer's fed ground up dead cow meat to other cows.  It is said that one species should not feed on the same species.  I think its a general rule of biology.  But I really do like the idea of feeding myc ground up shrimp shells and maybe ground up insects instead of grain.

I was a handyman bro.  People fed on me all the time.  You're argument is invalid.

#35 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

In regards to making a fortune off this mushroom.....the wild form is and will always be the only form you can get the high prices for.  Aloha Medicinals for instance grows one which is tested at fifteen times more relevant compounds and yet sells at a fraction of the price of wild.  The wild form only gets high prices for the prestige it holds.

Aloha medicinals hasn't publicly revealed their methods but I'm sure its similar to what we have discussed here.  They will still get prices high enough , I would think, to make it very much worthwhile to grow them.

#36 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Looks like they are in fact colonizing the dried mushrooms.  I used both wild and some oysters I had laying around.

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_6367.JPG
  • SAM_6368.JPG
  • SAM_6369.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!