47 replies to this topic

#41 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,848 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

^I just kept thinking 'Was it me all along?  Am I fucking myself?'  Over and over, thinking, 'Probably...fuck.'  What a mind fuck this is.  There's no one to fight.  Its going within, thats the real challenge.  Its growing within, that counts the most.  

Edited by riseabovethought, 13 March 2017 - 10:55 AM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#42 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

There's no one to fight.  Its going within, thats the real challenge.  Its growing within, that counts the most.

There's nowhere to get to either.  There's nothing to do but see we are what we want already, right now.   We don't achieve as much as abandon our idea that we could be the achiever of what is already true.   As St. Francis of Assisi said, "What you are looking for is what is looking." 

When we can be the witnessing, it can become clear that we are not the witnessed.   Identification with what is seen has strong illusory powers, yet the seeing is/has been/always will be the greater power.   What is the seeing, if not us?  We are the greater, only believing we are the lessor.   Don't tell the lessor that, he doesn't like to be outed.   He will fight for his standing as the reality, and will change his story whenever necessary to keep his perceived/presumed existence going.  But when watched by the seeing, his reality is knowable as only a virtual reality.   Only the seeing stays constant, though attention to it can waver.  So, we are the witnessing, even of attention.   We see it come and go. 

...the law will move against self discovery harder than ever, because it threatens our illusion that we need them to keep us safe...

I have even been cautioned by my guide to not become like a traffic cop in my own head.   The direction is to just stay as the witnessing.   In this, the illusion of the conditioned identity is seen and re-seen, and its tricks to stay established as I, the person, are a teaching in themselves.   It becomes ever more evident that I, as the mental/physical/personal doer, is but an expression of what is behind, and in front of, the seeing, is the whole of it.  As that, what more can be said?  What we are, what is, is beyond description.   It can only be apprehended in its being.  Words and ideas will fail.  Heads will fail too.  

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion for the various expressions of the one consciousness. 

• Sidestreet and riseabovethought like this

#43 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:12 AM

Project VIC: Keep those fingerprints out of your pics!

Today during my morning information scrounging I came across a story that made me both happy and apprehensive.  The story was about an organization that is using the cutting edge of image analysis to bring down pedophiles.  Sadly, many creeps post pictures of children that they're abusing to the internet.  Happily, Project VIC is using technology to analyze the pictures and, in hundreds of cases, rescue the victims.

Project VIC uses image analysis tools that are capable of, for example, compensating for "motion blur".  In one case, a photograph included an out-of-focus prescription bottle.  Using their methods, Project VIC was able to un-blur the prescription bottle so that law enforcement could read the information printed on the bottle.

Not only that, but the perpetrator's fingers were in the picture and the team was actually able to capture and analyze his fingerprints.  This is impressive, especially because the prints were not oriented square-on in the photo.  As a member of this site, I have heard warnings not to post pictures of my fingerprints.  In a lot of pics, people will erase their fingertips.  That has always been a good idea, but this is the first time I've seen proof that LE can actually get high-quality fingerprint data off of mediocre-quality pictures.

Of course I'm in favor of using this technology to rescue children from the bastards that hurt them (the asshole in this story ended up with an effective life sentence).  But also of course, the tools that are used for good are inevitably used to do evil.  That is, to do violence to decent people who choose to use controlled substances.  I don't know how available this technology is to law enforcement.  I assume, though, that it will become more widespread over time.  Also, local agencies have fewer resources than state and federal, but the bigger organizations share information with the smaller ones.  And even local agencies have access to things like facial recognition.

As with many of these tech stories, the moral is to be a small fish and be smart about how you interact online. 

[Direct Link]

http://edition.cnn.c...buse/index.html

Edited by Sidestreet, 14 March 2017 - 05:13 AM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#44 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

...the moral is to be a small fish...

If the other side were moral, they would bust the big fish.  The sad thing would be that, with law enforcement working hand in glove with the prison-industrial complex, the small fish will continue to bring in the paycheck, and the big fish (think, Pedo-gate), continue on as ever, using their political and economic power to tilt the playing field.   While the MSM will tout the successes of catching the schmucks, the fat cats who own the MSM (and everything else, up to and including our representatives) will select what is to be called, "fake news."

Edited by Alder Logs, 14 March 2017 - 10:44 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#45 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

As a member of this site, I have heard warnings not to post pictures of my fingerprints.  In a lot of pics, people will erase their fingertips. 

I would also suggest being mindful of other forms of "fingerprints" as well (i.e. unique patterns of all types found in various contexts).

One example would be posting photos of a new laminar flow hood you just built; did you use plywood? Is the grain pattern visible in the photos? If so, it would be hard to deny that an online post is yours if the grain pattern on it happens to exactly match the pattern found on the one in your back room (hopefully any such post isn't also detailing a conspiracy to "manufacture" things that scare reactionary pinheads).

Another thing that is often overlooked is narrowing down our physical location by the architecture and vegetation seen in photos we post. A "fingerprint" in this context is any unique pattern or arrangement of variables.

Next time he drops in for a visit y'all should ask BuckrooBanzai about the time he posted a pic of a small cannabis plant he was growing outside his dwelling, and from the picture I realized he was almost a neighbor of mine (I sent him a PM detailing what it was about the photo that allowed me to narrow down his location to within about 60 miles; suffice to say it was a combo of the natural vegetation that was visible at the time of year the picture was taken along with the architectural details of the dwelling). On second thought, maybe don't ask since I distinctly recall that my PM with the just-about-exactly-correct guess of where he lived freaked him out a little (which I sent as a helpful head's-up; i.e."If I can figure this out, then so can someone else...").

What I was doing by compromising his privacy via analyzing his photos (and what I do a lot as a matter of habit) is called "Red Teaming" in some circles (mostly military Special Operations units). It's simply trying to defeat someone's security or otherwise breach it so as to expose any weaknesses and rectify them before an actual adversary with genuinely bad intentions finds and exploits them.

Many large companies quietly pay shitloads of money to experts in various fields who are basically paid to pull off heists of corporate assets (whether physical or digital). And companies hire consultants for this because we cannot effectively analyze our own (or our company's) security. We need to have an independent third-party test it since we are not very good at detecting the flaws in the things we're proud of putting together (it's like proofreading our homework to what we thought was perfection only to have it returned by the teacher with a shockingly-low grade and covered in red scribbles detailing all the errors we were oblivious to thanks to our emotional attachment to the results of our efforts).

These links detail the philosophy and approaches used by one such organization:

http://redteams.net/rules

http://redteamjourna...d-teaming-laws/

IMO the large amount of very interesting info in those links is worth expanding into its own R&R thread, which I'd be happy to do if I could just find the time (so don't hold yer breath but I hope to regain my Slack within a month or two).

• Sidestreet and Alder Logs like this

#46 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

It is apparent to me that I have zero anonymity with all I have posted, but I don't do illegal grows and I don't have illegal shit laying about.  If I were doing that, I know I would have been too paranoid and would never have have stuck my head up here.   I came in here growing shiitakes and needing advice on that.   But what can I say, I like psychedelicized minds, and found the best of them around here.

• Sidestreet and TVCasualty like this

#47 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

It is apparent to me that I have zero anonymity with all I have posted, but I don't do illegal grows and I don't have illegal shit laying about.

Then you should be safe because government agencies have never brutally suppressed the expression of taboo ideas....  ;)  

If the other side were moral, they would bust the big fish.

In the context of local government, I have heard complaints that certain officials aren't interested in "climbing the ladder" of criminal activity such as heroin dealing because it's easier to get big numbers with small fry.  With big numbers garnered by picking the low-hanging fruit, they get the funding they want, so why spend time and money it takes to build a case against a trafficker?

So, being a small fish, by itself, doesn't make you safe by any means if you're a "low-hanging fruit."  I'm talking the people who shoot up in their car and pass out in a parking lot.  It happens all the time.  Don't do the myco equivalent of shooting up in your car in a public place.

I would also suggest being mindful of other forms of "fingerprints" as well (i.e. unique patterns of all types found in various contexts).

It seems like a good strategy would be to post only tight shots without a lot of extraneous items in them.  In the article I linked above, the authorities traced another creep who posted a picture of him/herself at a campsite.  After identifying the region by the wildlife in the picture, they sent out alerts to every campsite in the area until one responded.  Dunzo.

Edited by Sidestreet, 15 March 2017 - 05:05 AM.

• TVCasualty, Alder Logs and tailsmcsnails like this

#48 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Then you should be safe because government agencies have never brutally suppressed the expression of taboo ideas....  ;)

Oh yeah, the Thought Crimes Division.  Doh!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!