• Free Member
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

The lesson taught by all these facts is this: As long as mankind
continue to pay “national debts,” so-called – that is, so long
as they are such dupes and cowards as to pay for being cheated,
plundered, enslaved, and murdered – so long there will be enough
to lend the money for those purposes; and with that money a plenty
of tools, called soldiers, can be hired to keep them in subjection.
But when they refuse any longer to pay for being thus cheated, plundered,
enslaved, and murdered, they will cease to have cheats, and usurpers,
and robbers, and murderers and blood-money loan-mongers for masters.

- Lysander Spooner (1808–1887) was a lawyer, writer, entrepreneur,
and libertarian activist.

I agree with his overall message(I think...I didn't read a fraction of it even @ 40+ pages and found this a few paragraphs above your posted quote) as it is the same as mine however we disagree on the mechanism to achieve our end/s.

I've got some reading to do...as usual. Thanks August...you know how to distract me for a few days... :tongue:

#62 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

If you want it read to you...;)

Matt Pritchard is a good narrator

https://mises.org/li...on-no-authority
  • Digital Phoenix likes this

#63 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

Fabric of Time and Dimension

• Gold VIP
  • 569 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

I was sure that I saw the original story here, but now I can't find it.  Just thought I would post this update to the story I can no longer find...here.

Utah police officer who handcuffed, dragged nurse in video fired

http://abc7chicago.c...-fired/2517160/

#64 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 10,661 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

I was sure that I saw the original story here, but now I can't find it.  Just thought I would post this update to the story I can no longer find...here.

Utah police officer who handcuffed, dragged nurse in video fired

http://abc7chicago.c...-fired/2517160/

Try this: https://mycotopia.ne...19#entry1333065

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#65 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,792 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:23 AM

been a while...

"How Social Media Giants Side with Prosecutors in Criminal Cases"

From the Marshall Project

https://www.themarsh...er-20180115-930

You probably would not be surprised to learn that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media companies readily hand over their customers’ online content to cops and prosecutors who come armed with a court order or search warrant. But you may be surprised to learn that lawyers for those same social media giants say a federal law forbids them from sharing similar information with defense attorneys looking to help their clients.

The conflict is coming to a head in a California case that will test whether the law — the Stored Communications Act — conflicts with the constitutional rights of criminal defendants. The law, which was passed in 1986, bars companies from “knowingly” sharing information with anyone but the sender and the intended recipient.

The California Supreme Court is poised to hear arguments that come down to defining “privacy” on social media, a platform that was never considered by the authors of the federal law and is by its very nature public. Companies argue that defense attorneys should get the information from the government, which can obtain a court order to secure it, or better yet, from the people whose accounts they want to mine. Defense attorneys argue that no one should have to jump through those sorts of hoops to get a fair trial.

More at the link above.

I remember hearing about Facebook's response to one prosecutor request.  Apparently they gave up reams of information, so much so that the prosecutors were having trouble digging through it all.  That would almost be a benefit to the defense, except the court ended up giving them all the time they needed to get through it.  It was probably some tiny benefit to the entire county's defendants, as it probably gummed up the works a bit.

I used to frequent some of the psychedelic groups on FB but it just got to be too uncomfortable.  Even with a VPN I'm concerned that they would have no problem with identification.   Check out this article on how they suggest "people you may know":  https://www.theguard...on-data-not-now

Any net wizards have any thoughts on "true" anonymity on social media?

#66 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 10,661 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

Trump Expands Empire's War on Protests in US

[Direct Link]

#67 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,792 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 07:41 AM

If a few people in a crowd breaking windows can result in an encirclement and mass arrest, then it would be pretty easy to plant a couple of vandals in a crowd and get the whole crowd neutralized...

Not that I think that's what happened here.  But rioting laws make it easy for police and prosecutors to claim that any demonstration in which a few people damage property is a riot:

Here's the federal statute:

(a) Whoever travels in interstate or foreign commerce or uses any facility of interstate or foreign commerce, including, but not limited to, the mail, telegraph, telephone, radio, or television, with intent—

(1)
to incite a riot; or

https://www.law.corn...de/text/18/2101

A riot is defined as:

(a)As used in this chapter, the term “riot” means a public disturbance involving (1) an act or acts of violence by one or more persons part of an assemblage of three or more persons, which act or acts shall constitute a clear and present danger of, or shall result in, damage or injury to the property of any other person or to the person of any other individual

So even if one person in a group of thousands breaks a window, the whole crowd can theoretically be called a riot and arrested.

If you're trying to carry on a peaceful demonstration and you care about your people, DON'T BREAK SHIT.  You might hurt someone who doesn't want or deserve it.

Don't think I forgot about the police, though.  This was an unnecessary suppression of free speech.  I wasn't there, but if they had eyewitnesses they could have waited until they had more police (which they did) and then pick off the offenders, rather than arrest a whole crowd.

And then there's the fact that they charged people with crimes that carry potential decades of punishment, which is done whenever possible to make sure nothing goes to trial.

#68 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 10,661 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 11:48 AM

Agent provocateur is an age-old tradition amongst governments' goon squads, ever since the Pinkertons were nationalized into today's FBI.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!