21 replies to this topic

#1 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:25 AM

I noticed that there weren't a lot of auto flower grow logs around here. So I figured I would post a quick one....

Day 8

KIMG0059.JPG

Day 10

KIMG0066.JPG

Day 16

KIMG0070.JPG

Day 21

KIMG0074.JPG

Day 26

KIMG0076.JPG

Day 31

KIMG0079.JPG

Day 37

KIMG0111.JPG

KIMG0105.JPG

Day 43

KIMG0121.JPG

KIMG0136.JPG

Day 50

KIMG0147.JPG

KIMG0146.JPG

KIMG0143.JPG

And now for the info....This strain is Dark Devil Auto by Sweet Seeds....vended via Herbie's Headshop....

The soil is a personal mix. The base is FFOF, mixed with earthworm castings, Dr. Earth's Organic Veg Fert., Compost, and Perlite.

The container is a 10 gallon nursery plastic pot....it was started in this pot...

Water consists of RO water with Cal/Mag added back in....

It was fed seaweed extract the first 3 weeks via foliar spray, and one soil drench....

Week 4, it switched to flower and started bolting....Alaska Morbloom was given twice when needed until day 50

Day 50 it was flushed....Buds have swollen to twice their size. Look forward to harvest pix and weight.....

This is an organic grow....2 months total time roughly, and I should get about 2 ounces....that's a guesstimate....Wish I had grown 4 of these....

This is also a connoisseur strain and a full thread dedicated to growers of this beauty can be found here.....

http://www.420magazi...row-record.html

The soil mix I used was too heavy in N via the curled leaf tips....I would suggest a heavy and fast soluble N mix with a slow P and K release soil mix if anyone tries to recreate this....

I also considered weening the bottom two branches....glad I didn't, as I prolly have a quarter oz on those two alone....all other stalks have roughly twice the amount of those....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 12 December 2016 - 02:46 AM.

• bugs, Hash_Man, kcmoxtractor and 3 others like this

#2 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:10 AM

Cool, thanks for sharing, I grew a AK Auto a few months back, I enjoyed it.

Seems to be the trend amount auto growers to start in the same pot they end in.

Edited by Hash_Man, 12 December 2016 - 06:19 AM.

• kcmoxtractor and Heirloom like this

#3 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

fungi you are using a commercial LED  panel?

I know a woman who bought some aytoflowers seeds but she failed , I think it was her method bot the seeds
she keeps her house very cool and I warned about that for sprouting seeds.

Nice grow , hope to hear about you thoughts on the finished product, smoke test.

I have never done autoflower but I know it gotten populat since the first autoflower seeds were released I think it was called lowrider.

namaste

• Hash_Man likes this

#4 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:43 AM

@heirloom, That's an Advanced Platinum LED 450....And they've come a long way in auto's since lowryder was developed...

This is the first auto I've grown successfully.

Day 54

KIMG0154.JPG

KIMG0152.JPG

KIMG0150.JPG

Edited by fungi2bwith, 13 December 2016 - 01:13 AM.

• Heirloom , Lakegal7 and Furthur1 like this

#5 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

You got some beautiful plants .

#6 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:33 AM

Nice. Hows the smoke compared to regulare seeds? Worth the time?

#7 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

@further, I don't know, I'll let you know when I chop it, dry it, and get it cured....

• Furthur1 likes this

#8 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:30 AM

I might order some autos this year to try for an early crop and to avoid the choppers. I have some chochalope cross regular seeds for next year as well. I did an outdoor clone grow of lemon g two years ago that turned out excellent. Gotta love good smoke thats free.

#9 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:40 AM

It was harvest day, about 100% milky trichs with the beginnings of amber....

Day 57

KIMG0159.JPG

KIMG0161.JPG

And stalk and rootball shots

KIMG0163.JPG

(Bottom)The brownish red is soil from whatever was in the pot prior, prolly a cactus of some sort

KIMG0164.JPG

(Side)

KIMG0165.JPG

KIMG0166.JPG

Edited by fungi2bwith, 16 December 2016 - 01:41 AM.

• kcmoxtractor, Heirloom and Furthur1 like this

#10 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:20 AM

Something I've been thinking about...is that I really hope that this isn't some form of GMO.....

As I sit back and contemplate autoflowers and their origins, it's kinda hazey....not alot of info out there....yes it started with lowryder, and was inferior to todays autoflower, but it took quite awhile for ruderalis to hit the scene, and I have to ask, has anyone actually ever grown or seen a ruderalis....if so, I would like to know. Up until the past 5-8 years, cannabis has been strictly a photosensitive plant, then out of left field comes this whole new genotype that displays autoflower abilities.....I'm surprised more people aren't questioning these genetics and where exactly they came from....

There is a slight possibility that these genes could reek havoc on the 10 lb plants usually grown outdoors in NorCal, and whom are quite literally supplying the rest of the non-medical states....That means no more high volume shipments of high grade herb to the midwest.....

If you can't stop the pot growers from growing, and air dropped fungus' and pests haven't worked( I have a story about that), then why not turn to monsanto to see what we can do to lower yields....Lower yields means higher volume of plants, higher volume of plants is not legal, if already growing max amount....

Basically, I kinda believe that auto's were developed as a way to keep production rates down via long term.....this isn't going to happen over night, give it a few outdoor seasons....That guy growing all auto's outdoors and doesn't catch a male or hermie in time, well, i know at least in Shasta County and Hayfork California(biggest kept secret in the US....just go to the bar there,it's the only bar in town,or hell, just google earth those areas, you'll see what I mean), you gonna have alot of angry farmers.....alot...

It's like big tobacco, for example, I can go online and buy tobacco seeds of multiple varieties, but I will never find seeds like what phillip morris or rj reynolds plant due to patents.....Imagine, if one day marijuana is completely autoflowering, and the only people that hold the rights to photosensitive plants are companies like big tobacco or monsanto(whom have opened their GMO plant for cannabis down in Colombia in the past 2 years)....

I have a great supply of my own pure photosensitive plants, and will revert back to those instead of buying into the autoflower scheme....Yes, this plant is beautiful, yes, it gave me most likely 2-3 ounces in 57 days from seed, but at what cost? Perhaps the cost of being able to grow a plant just as beautiful that produces 10lbs instead of 2 oz....

A story.... I have a close friend in CO that has been running a farm, he told me that this year, they have had problems with plants flowering before they are supposed to...1 and 2 foot tall plants reverting to flower in mid july....this was a problem at least in his area......his words were that all of CO was experiencing the same problem......

I know they use light depo quite frequently there, so this is another thing to consider. The documentary, The Botany of Desire, comes to mind quite frequently when I ponder this idea. Is the plant changing it's genetic makeup to acclimate to these freak growing environments all for our desire to harvest quicker?

Perhaps I'm making too much out of it....but then again...

Just something to think about....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 16 December 2016 - 04:58 AM.

• Lakegal7 likes this

#11 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:49 AM

I might order some autos this year to try for an early crop and to avoid the choppers. I have some chochalope cross regular seeds for next year as well. I did an outdoor clone grow of lemon g two years ago that turned out excellent. Gotta love good smoke thats free.

I fucking hate chocolope, just throwing that out there....It's a horrible strain that should have been ditched a long time ago....Roll it in a joint, pack it in a bowl, it doesn't matter, the first two hits are amazing, after that it tastes like mexican brown.....This applies to every batch of chocolope I've tried....different growers, different states. It's a shit strain IMO....grow me a chocolope that doesn't taste like ass by the third hit and I'll change my tune.......again, fuck chocolope......bullshit nasty weed....end of rant....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 16 December 2016 - 04:52 AM.

• Heirloom likes this

#12 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:03 AM

Well, thanks for the input. I live in a probation state and its not all that easy to get a good seed stock for me. Chocholope is gonna be a lot better smoking than mexi dirt...
  • Hash_Man and Heirloom like this

#13 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

Now you got me of thinking of trying some ass weed as long as it's definitely from a girl plant.

Edited by Hash_Man, 18 December 2016 - 01:33 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#14 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Fungi  I can assure you that auto flower is not GMO.  In other plants auto flower may be called daylight neutral as in everbearing strawberries.

Auto flowers are found in Ruderalis and even Afghanistan has auto flowers in small numbers.

I will see if I can find some info from a source that you and all of us can trust. I think RC Clarke may of mentioned autoflowers in MJ Botany , I will have to look. I think auto flowers have been found in the Steppes a mountains, former Soviet Union.

There are miniature cannabis plants grown for ornamental purposes one such variety is called "panorama", which is a CBD chemotype but if crossed with miniature THC plants then inbreed the F1generation the F2  should produce some higher quality high yielding short plants. A numbers game due to genetic recombination. This project would require space and many people working together.  A pro team would have lab tech's a math monkey a whole team under the supervision of a master breeder.

If my camera was working I would post some math use by breeders, you would be surprised how complicated it is to determine gene linkage and breaking gene linkage to create new varieties. Breeding Field crops by Polheman & Sleper  is a good introduction.  The old sinsemilla tips mag has great articles by Chief Seven Turtles that are on a University level breeding, one of my favorite is the Chiefs article on Heritable traits and the math used. These are from the people who brought us the old skool greats that jump started cannabis growing in North America.

Look up transgressive segregation.

A great advancement in field crops and orchard trees is miniatures That produce very well and put energy into fruit not into size.

Cannabis breeders / seed makers have the legal problems that other plant breeders don't have. This is hindering advances in seed production. Potent autoflowering plants and high yielding potent tasty miniature plants will be available when cannabis breeding is legal and all with outshout GMO, just through human selection.

I have rambled enough. I do get passionate about Cannabis but I am no breeder and know very little , I can not understand the math so I cannot even teach. I am just talk.

• fungi2bwith and Lakegal7 like this

#15 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,124 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

I have seen wild Ruderalis. It grows wild in places back in Ohio. I have also done a ton of autoflowering strains as I was a test grower back in the day for a well known vendor, who provided me tons of good strains for posting pics and detailed info about his strains. I think yours look outstanding! My only problem with most of the autoflowering varieties is that the Ruderalis comes through in the flavor most times and gives the finished buds a sort of hempy flavor. I hope that one isn't one of those ones.

A few that did NOT have that quality were Early Misty, Early Pearl, and White Russian Auto. Those smoked as good as they looked with no hint of ropey/hemp flavor. They were fun to play with for a while but very hard to keep clones from as they want to flower and will not stay in veg mode. I could see the purpose of them but they were in the end not for me. I like plants to get a little bigger and that I can veg until I think they are ready to flower to their full advantage. Those ones you did look awesome and well done and looks like they will look nice in the jar! Pretty flowers there man!

Heirloom is right they are not GMO. Most of the reputable breeders simply cross the strains to a quality Ruderalis. There are some produced by inducing hermies with light stress or a silver preparation, neither of which would cause the end user of the seeds any issues whatsoever. There is really no chemicals involved, although I have heard of some people using all sorts of stuff to induce a plant to self pollinate. There is really no need to though as it is easy to do the natural way.

Peace...

Edited by Coopdog, 18 December 2016 - 04:12 PM.

• fungi2bwith, Heirloom and Lakegal7 like this

#16 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

Coop as an old member of OG.  I bet I read about the vendor you mention. Hope he is doing well . I never got into auto flower but can now see the potential for auto flowering, not for everyone but can meet the needs of others.

Even bad tasting weed is better than no weed.

Thanks fungi for your opinion on varieties and hope your harvest is great .

• Coopdog likes this

#17 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:11 AM

Thanx for the input on the auto's fellas. I get to over-analyzing things sometimes, with a tad of paranoid schitzophrenia thrown in there.....

@heirloom,  I'm fairly versed in breeding(DJ shorts "Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis" was a great guide), and I understand how an auto is created.  I guess what I was actually questioning in my rant above, was the actual existence of ruderalis.  I've heard everything everyone else has about them, feral plants, found in ukraine and russia regions, poor quality, and flowers automatically....I've heard all that....I was just questioning the validity of any of it.

#18 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

first, read this, it's very informative on modern cannabis genomics 

http://theleafonline...alis-get-wrong/

as coop said, ruderalis hybrids grow wild in the midwest. they are "escapees" from

hemp industry before it was outlawed.  

• fungi2bwith and Lakegal7 like this

#19 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

Thanx KCMO for that link, I'll be sure to give it a read.....

Also, to those wondering how this ended up...i guess I forgot that part.....I yielded 3 oz trimmed, dryed, and cured.....Its taste is like lemons and berries, with a touch of musk....

I'm not quite sure what cannabinoid this strain is high in....I usually stick to my sativas, or pure THC, not a lot of CBD in my diet, so to say, and I usually can drink a beer or two without that "cross fade spinning"......but this strain, I can not drink anything on.....as it gives me the spins right off.....interesting....

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#20 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 454 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

Fungi, nice grow
I'm very new to growing cannabus. My first purchase of seeds
Was a blueberry auto. My thought at the time was it would finish
early for an outdoor grow. Now that I have a little more exsperience
I decided to grow one inside with more control over the grow process.
What I think the positives of autos is they are small and for many growers
this is a plus if you have a very limited grow area. The other is they
finish faster and you can get away with just one type of light.
I'm excited to grow this indoors with LOw Stress Training
  • Hash_Man likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!