• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 copernicus

copernicus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

Ok so I am all hopped up on the idea of making dual extractions of mushrooms like turkey tails, maitakes, reishi and others. Going to start fiddling around with Turkey Tails first but my experience in printing is limited to oysters and cubensis. Is the process basically the same? Cut cap off during or right before sporalation (sp?) and place on tin foil under cover for a day or so? That's how I do all my others but I wanted to confirm with the community before my Turkey Tail Patch comes from Fungi Perfecti. Thanks all!!

• Needles, catattack and GrumpyGnome like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,689 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

The holes on the under side of the shelf fungus are tubes that hold their spores. Should print white like the oysters do.
  • Needles and catattack like this

#3 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

Ok so I am all hopped up on the idea of making dual extractions of mushrooms like turkey tails, maitakes, reishi and others. Going to start fiddling around with Turkey Tails first but my experience in printing is limited to oysters and cubensis. Is the process basically the same? Cut cap off during or right before sporalation (sp?) and place on tin foil under cover for a day or so? That's how I do all my others but I wanted to confirm with the community before my Turkey Tail Patch comes from Fungi Perfecti. Thanks all!!

I too am a big fan for double extraction of medicinal mushrooms. Nowadays its the main reason for growing out mushrooms. I have made tinctures from all the strains you have mentioned. Reishi being my favorite and something I try to use at least once a day. Lions mane is a close second. One thing I will not do is make tincture from Maitake again. Although a very healthy mushroom, the tincture from it was the worst tasting stuff. I think if I come across more Maitake, it will be cooked into a dish somehow.
If you want to collect spores from polypore mushrooms it's the same as your used to.
Are you growing turkey tail on logs or making sawdust bags?
  • copernicus and HailHypnoToad like this

#4 copernicus

copernicus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

I too am a big fan for double extraction of medicinal mushrooms. Nowadays its the main reason for growing out mushrooms. I have made tinctures from all the strains you have mentioned. Reishi being my favorite and something I try to use at least once a day. Lions mane is a close second. One thing I will not do is make tincture from Maitake again. Although a very healthy mushroom, the tincture from it was the worst tasting stuff. I think if I come across more Maitake, it will be cooked into a dish somehow.
If you want to collect spores from polypore mushrooms it's the same as your used to.
Are you growing turkey tail on logs or making sawdust bags?

Thanks for the info needles! Growing the turkey tails on sawdust bags. I have oak pellets that i will try. Good info on the maitake i will take that into consideration when making extractions. 

• Needles likes this

#5 copernicus

copernicus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:33 AM

The holes on the under side of the shelf fungus are tubes that hold their spores. Should print white like the oysters do.

sweet, thanks! i'll be giving it a go when the bags fruits out. very excited.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#6 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

You don't have to put as much effort into grinding them up, etc as people think.  I just grab a hunk and throw it in my green tea.  Works great and my health is steadily improving. 

I'm now torn on growing these though as there are soooo many in the wilds.  At least where I live.  I'm out foraging all the time anyways so I just grab some and dry them at home.  I've got bags and bags of gallon zip locks of these.  I've also got a few off of some real logs I started.  Maybe if I had tons of space but for right now foraging provides all I need.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!