Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Can you top for size in flower or will that cause stress = hermi?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:37 AM

Sativa has stretched beyond the size of the tent.

6th and 3rd week flowering females

Can it be topped or will this cause stress that may turn it hermi?

Will loose bud site but that is probably being damaged by the light, or at least causing the plants stress now as it is

Thx
Pbk

#2 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:26 AM

Top it and see what happens....

I don't think you will get hermies from topping it....You will probably see bigger growth in the side branches.

Edited by fungi2bwith, 14 December 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#3 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,124 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:03 AM

I quit topping after trying LST. Low Stress Training lets you retain that big fat top while still encouraging side growth. Mostly topping doesn't produce hermies but does make the side buds and branches fill out. You can train that long flowering sativa like a vine and trail it around the edges of your space as long as you need to. I have had some awesome quantities from a relatively small space doing that. You can either pull the top down and over or squeeze the stem (pretty hard) between your thumb and finger flattening it, then you can bend it without snapping it usually. The stem recovers and makes a fat elbow where the bend is, and you end up keeping the top and also get the results of the side branches taking off as if you had topped it.

Peace...

• Myc, Hash_Man, PsyBearknot and 4 others like this

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,461 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

when i grow clones back under 24 hr light over the winter, they will turn very weird. Single curly leaf and no side branches, when i put them back outdoors.

They dont stay that way, and they recover from hermies syndrome just fine.

#5 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,124 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Happy that sounds like clones taken in early flower sort of. I have never had any issue from 24 hour light, but clones reverting to veg from flower can go down to single leaves until they fully engage back into veg and kick into growth mode. I have had that often when I harvest a plant leaving a little green on there and then kick it back into the vegetative growth area to re-veg them. I have done that often when I for some reason or other did not take cuttings. I had one Schrom plant that I harvested 6-7 harvests from the same plant over a almost three year time span by leaving some green on it and revegging it over and over again. The pot actually got better and better but in time the yield got smaller so I started over with clones and it got it's vigor back just fine.

Peace...

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,524 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

I'm with Coopdog on this one. Train the plant.

A plant topped in flower didn't seem to suffer. It certainly had a lower yield when compared to its neighbors. The quality of the final outcome was not effected but there was less of it to harvest on that one particular plant. 

Also try a better lighting scheme with your vegetative plants (you won't regret it with those sativa heavy phenotypes). 

Instead of 24 hrs. per day, 7 days per week

Try

12 hrs. on

5.5 hrs. off

1 hr. on

5.5 hrs. off

(repeat)

I picked this up from Il19 a few years back and all plants - tomato moms, peppers, etc. - really do fantastically with this scheme. 

It seems as though the plants get a natural "rest" period. Some down-time each day so they can breathe oxygen and relax. 

The one hour "on" in the middle of the night is just enough light to keep them from "switching" to flower. If you use HID for veg, this "on" period can simply be a CFL operated separately from the HIDs. 

Overall, this relaxation period helps the plants to deal more effectively with nutrients. The nodes are more closely spaced resulting in a "bushier" plant rather than a "stretchy" one. This lighting strategy combined with Low Stress Topping is a real winner. 

• PirateFarmer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!