Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

http://www.theglobea...rticle33307322/

Ottawa plans to open up legal market for cannabis by 2019
DANIEL LEBLANC
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2016 10:46AM EST
Last updated Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2016 11:25PM EST

" "
Task force releases 80 recommendations to end pot prohibition, giving itself until late 2018 or early 2019 to open up the market. (LARS HAGBERG/AFP/Getty Images)
Ottawa plans to open up legal market for cannabis by 2019
DANIEL LEBLANC
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2016 10:46AM EST
Last updated Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2016 11:25PM EST
215 Comments PrintLicense article

The Canadian government is giving itself until late 2018 or early 2019 to open up the market for recreational marijuana, based on a road map that will allow everyone over 18 to purchase pot from a variety of producers and retailers or to grow their own.

In a report released on Tuesday, a task force chaired by former Liberal minister Anne McLellan provided 80 recommendations to end the prohibition on marijuana that dates back to 1923, using a model similar to the one in place for sales of tobacco and alcohol.

The report said Canadians should be able to buy or carry 30 grams of marijuana for personal use, while those who want to grow their own could have four plants at home. The system would feature storefront sales and mail-order distribution, and allow a wide diversity of producers to operate legally, including “craft” growers and the current producers of medical marijuana.

Read more: Legal age for pot sales disappoints members of Canada’s medical community

Read more: Not yet clear where legal marijuana will be sold in Canada

Read more: Ottawa should require marijuana to be lab-tested to ensure safety: task force

A senior federal official said the report has been well received inside the government and will have a large influence on the upcoming legislation to legalize marijuana, which will be tabled in Parliament in the spring of 2017.

Still, the official explained that opening up the legal market will depend on the “readiness of the provinces,” which will be in charge of regulating the wholesale distribution and retailing of cannabis. As such, the official said that implementing the new regime in 2018 would be an ambitious target, given the complexity of the task, with 2019 being more likely.

The task force received positive feedback from opposite spectrums of Canada’s cannabis industry, from the regulated producers that supply the medical market to the country’s self-styled “prince of pot,” Marc Emery, who said he was surprised to find he was in agreement with Ms. McLellan.

Kirk Tousaw, a Vancouver lawyer with many clients in the marijuana industry, said the task force has come up with a practical approach that goes against various calls for strict and hard-to-enforce regulations.

“By and large, the task force did an excellent job of coming up with recommendations based on evidence, as opposed to myth and stigma,” he said in an interview.

At a news conference, Ms. McLellan said the current system that criminalizes the consumption of marijuana is simply not working and needs to be updated.

“As a matter of public policy, now is the time to move away from a system that for decades has been based on prohibition of cannabis, into a regulated and legal market,” Ms. McLellan said.

But she refused to advocate an immediate amnesty for pot possession or a temporary decriminalization. Until the law is changed, she said, current laws “should be enforced.”

One of the thorniest issues that faced the task force was coming up with the minimum age for Canadians to use marijuana recreationally. The task force’s vice-chair, Dr. Mark Ware, said 18 seemed like a “decent balance,” even though some public health officials had advocated the age of 25.

“Canadian adults can make decisions,” Dr. Ware said. “Age, to some extent, is a line in the sand. What matters is how we teach parents, children, the public about what the potential risks of cannabis use.”

Regarding the issue of impaired driving, Ms. McLellan said the best solution is to give researchers additional time to develop proper detection tools.

“This is not going to be a new challenge that is created by legalization. Drug-impaired driving is a problem, or a challenge, in Canada today,” Ms. McLellan said.

Still, the Canadian Automobile Association said Ottawa needs to launch public education campaigns and provide greater funding to law-enforcement authorities to get ready for the new regime.

“It’s clear from the report that work needs to start immediately in these areas, and that the actual legalization should not be rushed,” CAA vice-president Jeff Walker said.

According to the task force, the production of marijuana for recreational purposes should follow the system that is currently in use for medical marijuana, which is overseen and heavily regulated by Health Canada.

In addition, the task force urged the federal government to allow “artisanal” and outdoor production under strict security conditions.

“Our goal is a diversity of producers,” Ms. McLellan said. “We would hope that at least some of [the current illegal producers] will wish to come in the new legal regime.”

A number of publicly listed licensed producers of medical marijuana saw their stocks surge after the release of the report. The association that represents a majority of these producers applauded the task force’s proposals.

“It’s a very thoughtful approach,” said Colette Rivet, the executive director of Cannabis Canada Association. “If we keep the new system open to small companies and larger companies, keep it competitive, we’re going to keep the price down and keep people out of the black market.”

In the House of Commons, however, the Conservative Party slammed the government for moving toward the legalization of home-grown marijuana, stating it would provide children with easy access to pot.

Recreational marijuana would be sold under a provincially regulated system that would ensure that the drug is not distributed in the same locations as alcohol, with the report urging provinces to establish “limits on the density and location of storefronts.”

The report added that provinces where the legal drinking age is 19 could impose the same limit for the consumption of recreational marijuana.

The task force did not estimate the amount of tax revenue that will be generated by the sale of recreational marijuana. Still, the group recommended that high-potency products be more heavily taxed, to “discourage” their use by the general public.

In order to minimize risks to public health, the task force is urging “comprehensive restrictions to the advertising and promotion of cannabis and related merchandise,” including a requirement to sell the product in child-proof, plain packaging.

On the issue of edible marijuana products, the task force is advocating a number of conditions, including ensuring they are not marketed toward children, for example by prohibiting candies and colourful packaging. In addition, the government is being urged to ban products in which marijuana is mixed with alcohol or caffeine.

In order to ensure the public’s safety, the report said that the following activities should remain criminal: trafficking to youth, illicit production, trafficking and import/export of marijuana. In addition, the report calls on all levels of government to “send a clear message to Canadians that cannabis causes impairment and that the best way to avoid driving impaired is to not consume.”

Edited by wildedibles, 14 December 2016 - 06:55 AM.

• Sidestreet, ethnobotanist420, Juthro and 2 others like this

#2 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:11 AM

"In addition, the task force urged the federal government to allow “artisanal” and outdoor production under strict security conditions.

“Our goal is a diversity of producers,” Ms. McLellan said. “We would hope that at least some of [the current illegal producers] will wish to come in the new legal regime.”

Wow!! really??..............Hahahah best laugh of the day ....:) one of my older friends told me to watch the 11pm news so I told him I would look it up on the net ;)
  • Juthro and Lakegal7 like this

#3 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,264 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

index.jpeg

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, Spooner and 1 other like this

#4 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hahaha, that is a good laugh....if they make it like it is here in the states, illegal producers will still remain illegal producers.....I have fought tooth and nail to become legal, to no avail.....Those commercial grow permits are expensive...

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

I would guess some would not be on board but some might or different people may step in and do it

I am pissed that they are going to take 3 years since its been mentioned does anyone actually do work these days it shouldnt take that long to put into place ...it just seems like they are stalling

when things do go legal I will stay with my medicinal company they are getting things ready for the new changes and are ready to step up production......they offer incentives for staying with them :)

I do like the fact that we can grow 4 I wanna grow some in the summer but I cannot put the money into a grow to make it worth my wild to just grow ......thing is can you have 4 plants that are not ready and 30grams in a bag that is ready??

and one more thing if you grow now here in canada under 3 plants they will take them and if you are bitchy about it u will get a fine too .....same as anything under 30g's its counted as personal and you get it taken and a fine sometimes........... anything over that or if there is trafficking signs you could get jail time
  • Juthro, Heirloom and CatsAndBats like this

#6 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

While commercial  grow permits are expensive allowing people to grow their own  is good, things will  advance.

The term "join the new legal Regime "  is disturbing .

This is all better than where I live.

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, monkeybones and 2 others like this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,274 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

It's progress. Painfully slow, and but forward movement, none the less. :)

I feel your pain with the feet dragging, and the stalling. It was two years ago that they legalized MJ here, and they still have the "legal" supply chain so screwed up that the dispensaries don't have hardly any legal weed to sell.

And when they do manage to have some in stock, the price is too high. I don't know if its ok to list prices, so I wont, but they want about twice as much as what the black market wants around here. I don't mind paying a little more to get a fledgling industry off the ground, but that's too much of a difference for me to be ok with.

Edited by Juthro, 14 December 2016 - 02:59 PM.

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, Spooner and 2 others like this

#8 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

I thought things were going to happen this spring???

Well they could at least pass some kind of bill in the mean time so we don't get fucked over legally until they finish up the paperwork...

Or at least that would be nice lol

Definitely exciting times tho!
  • wildedibles, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

I thought things were going to happen this spring???
Well they could at least pass some kind of bill in the mean time so we don't get fucked over legally until they finish up the paperwork...
Or at least that would be nice lol
Definitely exciting times tho!

They refuse to change any law about it till its all legal but I think when we got medicinal weed it in a way became decriminalized only fines for small amounts so well your still paying the tax on it in a way that way

and yes my medicinal weed is more expensive already more then the black market here too cause of the tax added to it ...... I was hoping that legal weed would start cheaper and end up the same price cause the cost of growing would be lower and the price should be lower getting to consumers then add a tax to make it all the same price but nope goota pay the same plus extra for the taxes
  • ethnobotanist420 and Heirloom like this

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

While commercial  grow permits are expensive allowing people to grow their own  is good, things will  advance.
The term "join the new legal Regime "  is disturbing .
This is all better than where I live.

heres hoping that Canada will help get the ball rolling on other countrys joining us in the circle :) puff puff pass :)

and yes I find that line disturbing too

#11 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:26 AM

Until they make an amendment that doesn't allow you to cultivate 25 miles from a dispensary.....

The 3 year wait sucks.....That was the plan with Arizona's prop 205 that got beat down. It wasn't going to go into effect until 2019(it was originally a year after the vote). They lowered the possession amount to an Oz. from 2.5 Oz.'s..Both changes occurred right before voting..... It did allow personal cultivation, but word through the grapevine was that they were going to amend that to where you could only cultivate 25 miles away from any dispensary, recreational or medical, doesn't matter.....No commercial permits would have been made available to the public until 2022, only the current operating medical dispensaries would have immediate dibs on those, and there was a limited amount of permits to give out, so by that time, you would have to basically inherit a permit....or buy one at an ungodly expense.....

I'm not quite sure why it didn't pass, but I'd like to think that the people were smart enough to see through the bullshit.....

Good luck with your Rec. Legal legislature Canada...

Edited by fungi2bwith, 15 December 2016 - 12:40 AM.

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, Juthro and 1 other like this

#12 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

Decriminalization is what I really wanna see... no laws at all just let us grow and use the damn plant like it was a tomato...

Not gonna happen I know but a guy can dream...
  • fungi2bwith, wildedibles, Spooner and 1 other like this

#13 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

I wish this would happen a lot sooner. I am south of Manitoba and have always wanted to visit Canada. I imagine that this will boost tourism , people comeing in to smoke Canada's finest and enjoy some camping ,fishing just enjoying life.

I  have a neighbor whose daughter lives in Canada, she married and moved there a few years ago. My neighbor lady has been to visit a few times and likes going, its a nice change.

• ethnobotanist420 and wildedibles like this

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

I didnt even think about that wow but your right on the money there :) Green tourism :)
and each provence has its own way of collecting tax .....I live in Ontario but I buy from British Columbia so that provence BC will collect my tax money instead of Ontario ....hummmm hows that all gonna work out??

#15 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

We are pretty close Heirloom... if you ever come up here I would love to put you up and show you my favourite fishing spots! Lol

That goes for all of you, actually.... let's party at my place haha
  • wildedibles and Heirloom like this

#16 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

Big nasty raids went down in Toronto ( I think yesterday)
Cannabus Culture med. dispenserys
Yeah, let's not use police to do anything useful...

#17 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Lakegal. The busts being a prelude to legalization, gather up the money and people.
Then install new laws gathering money.

Of course we all believe we should be able to grow anything for free, let alone medicine.

Does anyone's health insurance cover Cannabis ? No.

If trumph care is going to work they need to legalize cannabis,
reducing med bills and saving lives. - off topic.

I admit I have been smoking cannabis. I love Canada an I live in the US.
  • wildedibles and Lakegal7 like this

#18 TyPi

TyPi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Yeah we do, is right!

Already got my medical marijuana card and a membership card for one of the best dispensaries in the valley. That is in my area of Canada.

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,527 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

https://www.thestar....to-airport.html

Ya there was a few raids ....Toronto had a few and one in Hamilton and Vancuver....thik Im missing one anyway have a read they got busted at the airport......they were charged there for trafficing and possison for the intent at the airport ....hummm...not allowed to cross borders even with your medicinal weed ....this led the police to shut down thier recrelational shops and thier homes.......They will fight it and I hope they can get somewhere waiting 2-3 years for this legliziation shit to get in order is stupid they can get the carbon tax up there in a matter of months why cant they do the same for weed?? I still say Justin is traveling so much to avoid he promices he intends to bring in...............
  • Spooner and TyPi like this

#20 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

It comes down to stealing revinues
Vilifying these pioneers
And just being little bitches.
As for the U,S it's still a federal offense
Once big pharma bully's there way in, then I think
federal prohibition will then be lifted.
Maybe it's better it's not federally legal.
I hope the independent shop keepers and growers will be able
to stay in the game
Again, off subject
  • wildedibles and Spooner like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!