#1 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

I'm back at it with more tinctures... This time H. marmoreus, I had a few fruits this fallimage.jpeg image.jpeg after cutting and drying these guys they went into a jar and covered with 100 proof vodka image.jpeg they now have been soaking for three weeks and it's time for the juicer image.jpeg first drain off the liquid and run the mushrooms through the juicer and collect juice and pulpimage.jpeg now back into the jar for three more weeks shaking daily image.jpeg .
I have been doing some research on this strain. Here is a short article on the medicinal properties of H. marmoreus
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19627196
  • Heirloom and GLP like this

#2 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 613 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

Same method with other medicinals? Reishi specifically.

• Heirloom likes this

#3 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

Same method with other medicinals? Reishi specifically.

Yes, same method. Seems to work well. I just started using the juicer on soaked mushrooms half way through the alcohol process. I think that it helps get more out of the extraction.

Edited by Needles, 15 December 2016 - 10:56 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#4 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Do you perform a double extraction, so using water after the alcohol extraction and then join the alcohol and the water when complete?

• Needles and Heirloom like this

#5 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Do you perform a double extraction, so using water after the alcohol extraction and then join the alcohol and the water when complete?

That is exactly what I do. There are lipids in fungus cells both hydrophobic and hydrophilic so exposing them to alcohol and water will ensure extraction. There is a few good scientific articles online search keywords subcritical water extraction. Its above the level that I have at home but still good knowledge if you are into extracting polysaccharides from mushroom cells. I just finished the extraction from H. maramoures here's a couple of photos of the coffee press I use to strain the pulp out of the alcohol and water.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
  • Tenderfoot, Heirloom and GLP like this

#6 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

I never thought about using a coffee press for that purpose but that would work perfectly for many items such as powdered chaga, etc. So I should be able to use any coffee press lying around the house for this.

itns_r2-d2_coffee_press_pour_zpsrkhk4zdc

Thanks for the keyword suggestions, I am not opposed to putting in the time trying to look at the archives and sifting through the vast amount of reference information available to us but I must admit that it is sometimes difficult to find exactly what a tek was called or a process. For this I thank you. :thumbs_up2:

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,172 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

I think this is archive material that should be combined with other  healing mushrooms and extraction and concentration methods,
to make medicines .

• Tenderfoot, Needles and GLP like this

#8 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

I mixed a tsp with some diet Lipton green tea and some ocean spray cranmango. It has a very good taste compared to some of the other mushroom extractions I have made. I will definitely grow more H. marmoreus......
  • Tenderfoot, Heirloom and GLP like this

#9 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,172 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

I want to nominate Needles for a Mentorship Appreciation Award.

Needles has helped many , taught growing and Medicine making. DONE!

Perhaps a new award would be in order a Medicine Man award.

namaste

Edited by coorsmikey, 03 January 2017 - 08:27 PM.

• Tenderfoot, Needles and GLP like this

#10 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

In the The Fungal Pharmacy by Robert Rogers, I think the third appendix provided a chart of various mushrooms that would counteract various maladies, but after searching and reading many of the references from the book I cannot find any mention of percentages of blending between the mushroom varieties withing a given sickness. Are you aware of any such references or is this a moot point and just blend evenly between what you have available? When creating plant based tinctures we were taught that blends were almost always better than individual herbs and percentages of blending would also affect efficacy. So there have been many detailed documents to deal with plant based tinctures. So the baseline reference I have is to look for similar documents.

I second the fact that Needles should receive a Medicine Man Award, I hope to keep learning more from him and others. Thank you. :tinfoil:

#11 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,172 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

I recall a formula for extraction Lions Mane that is very similar

• Needles and GLP like this

#12 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 880 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

I recall a formula for extraction Lions Mane that is very similar

This past summer I was able to get a few bags of lions mane to grow. I used the same method to extract them too. It turned out very good and with the nerve healing properties of lions mane I will add that to the list for this spring.
  • Heirloom and GLP like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!