#1 DavidReishi

DavidReishi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 72 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

gallery_152239_3_736374.jpg

Psilocybe allenii the other day at a Senior Living apartments. It's a major pain to get into this place, but hey...that's the name of the game.

gallery_152239_3_1191558.jpg

gallery_152239_3_1974063.jpg

gallery_152239_3_2365233.jpg

P. allenii and a little cyanescens a few days ago at a Richmond park.

gallery_152239_3_1977300.jpg

gallery_152239_3_4081098.jpg

gallery_152239_3_969357.jpg

gallery_152239_3_2069960.jpg

gallery_152239_3_1695867.jpg

P. allenii and cyanescens a few days ago at my best find this season. This location has literally more than three dozen patches spread throughout it. Easily two pounds dry this season, and this season wasn't that good at all.

• Sidestreet, Cue, Needles and 3 others like this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,524 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

archive material

• Cue and DavidReishi like this

#3 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Donator

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

wow, davidreishi.  allow me to pick my jaw off the floor.

It doesn't seem like you need to, but have you ever tried to cultivate any of these woodlovers yourself?

• DavidReishi likes this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,415 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

wow, davidreishi.  allow me to pick my jaw off the floor.

It doesn't seem like you need to, but have you ever tried to cultivate any of these woodlovers yourself?

Yeah, he definitely should be growing them so he doesn't run out.

• mjroom and DavidReishi like this

#5 DavidReishi

DavidReishi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 72 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

No, I've never tried to cultivate 'em. In the previous two seasons I refused to even try to start patches vis-a-vis stem-butts...only because I was afraid that if I caught the cultivation bug, it'd have the unfortunate consequence of curing me of the hunting bug. But this season things changed. The years long California drought seems to have finally caught up to the great majority of patches in the Bay area. And this, in turn, brought out into relief a tiny minority of patches that performed exceedingly well...even with barely a drop of rain. A few such patches I found this season...and indeed we're looking at one right here.

As a result, this season I've developed a keen interest in the possibilty of propagating these apparently drought-resistant strains. I guess it doesn't really involve 'cultivation' in the strict sense (for I wanna do things using zero sterile technique, for example.) But one thing that might end up interesting is my soon-to-be attempt to fruit some of 'em indoors.

Edited by DavidReishi, 19 December 2016 - 06:07 PM.

• orangutan likes this

#6 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Donator

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

Well, i certainly have the cultivation bug.  And I wish I had the hunting bug, but I just don't have the time and energy to go hunting that often.  I did find a little smattering of P. cyanescens in Sutro Forest in November.

But what I do have patience, and a closet, and a back yard with grasses and trees.

Did you happen to make any spore prints of these drought-tolerant strains?  And that strain from the North Bay that fruits in warm weather?

• DavidReishi and Loveshroomz777 like this

#7 DavidReishi

DavidReishi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 72 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:13 AM

Well I'll release a torrent of hunting-bugs in your direction if I have to next season. What area are you in if you don't mind me asking? And, yes, I do have spore prints available...right now from the P. allenii in Walnut Creek, P. allenii in Orinda, and P. cyanescens in Walnut Creek.
  • mjroom likes this

#8 DavidReishi

DavidReishi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 72 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

gallery_152239_3_1805820.jpg

My gf and I (really my gf) found this patch on Sunday at the site of one of my finds from two years ago. I wasn't expecting the location to fruit this season, but we ended up finding some specimens here and there. On the way back to the car, however, my gf spotted the above patch well hidden in a place I hadn't found 'em before.
  • mjroom and orangutan like this

#9 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Donator

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:29 PM

@DavidReishi  I am in the Bay Area.  

This is what I've been working on lately, some azurescens and cyanescens projects.

https://mycotopia.ne...n-fall-of-2017/

• mjroom and DavidReishi like this

#10 DavidReishi

DavidReishi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 72 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

Wow, orangutan...I'm very impressed! What was the fate of those two colonized bins? You really need to update that thread!
  • orangutan likes this

#11 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Donator

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

Wow, orangutan...I'm very impressed! What was the fate of those two colonized bins? You really need to update that thread!

DavidReishi, I've updated the thread!  Check it out.  These photos are as fresh as newly hatched fungus gnat.

https://mycotopia.ne...n-fall-of-2017/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!