#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:53 PM

Hi all. Thought i'd create a thread for people using Linux and others interested in it. I have used several Linux operating systems over the years. I started with Mandrake and now use Ubuntu. Here's how I progressed:

Mandrake
Redhat
Debian
Fedora Core
Mepis
Ubuntu

My system is set up right now with Ubuntu Edgy running under KDE. I really love Ubuntu , apt-get etc... Its very user friendly and theres tons of software in the repositories. Also I have a laptop that overheats with any OS other than Mandriva. I found that quite wild, but now i've been digging the Mandriva setup. It uses an RPM package system that is pretty easy to figure out.

Anyways just getting the ball rolling on the Linux topic. Looking forward to hearing what other people are running and how they find it.

cheers
  • niemandgeist and tailsmcsnails like this

#2 farmermoo

farmermoo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

I started out with Slackware ;) and tried all the ones you've mentioned above but stuck with Ubuntu. Of course Ubuntu wouldn't be as good as it is without Debian as the basis.

Did you submit a bug about your laptop not working with Ubuntu?

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:33 AM

The laptop is an ASUS 3.4 ghz and even Windblows seemd to overheat it. I lucked out by accidently downloading a copy of the Mandriva live CD and it "sensed" that I needed something called legacy blah blah kernal and it never overheats. I even tried SUSE and it to got screaming hot within 20 minutes. I think its all the fan control stuff that caused Ubuntu and the others to not work well with that particular motherboard.

As far as PC's go , i've never had anything but great luck with Ubuntu even on older machines.

Currently i'm working on converting several origial Xbox consoles into linux machines.

#4 farmermoo

farmermoo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:00 AM

Really I was going to do that with an old Xbox, I read your best bet is to chip them. Did you do that or are you using the Mech Warrior exploit? If you are chipping it where did ya get the chip from?

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:03 AM

Mech assualt hack, trying Xebian on one and Gentoo on the other...

#6 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:06 AM

I like linux a lot. Haven't worked with it that much tho. Tried few 'boot from disc' versions for shits and giggles. I'm getting a virtualizer for the mac here soon and plan on downloading Ubunto.

#7 Cheebabear

Cheebabear

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:47 PM

I tried using various distros of Linux, including Redhat, Ubuntu, Knoppix, & Suse. I'm really interested in one day setting up a system with just Linux. I did have my main computer dual bootable Windows XP/Linux at one time, but I just couldn't get my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to work with most of them and a lot of the software I use for backing up my DVD's, etc... are not available on Linux. I eventually gave in, but whenever I upgrade this computer I want to setup the old one with just Linux. I would love for one day to be completely free of Windows (Except for gaming purposes).

I'd like to learn how to use a Mac too.

#8 Guest_greysRDbest_*

Guest_greysRDbest_*

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

i recently upgraded comps and was running windows nt ( dont laugh i never got blue screen or crashed), now i have xp basically by default because it was already loaded on my new computer. I have never been a huge fan of windows and would like to try linux.....but fear some compatibility issues especially for games, not that i play alot but when i do i want the schidt to work right, and NOW! ive heard and seen so many good things about ubuntu.....should i just take the plunge?

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:52 PM

Here's a list of tried and true linux programs i've used over the years....

Burning CD's & DVD's (mp3, wav, data dvd) ---- K3B
Shrinking a DVD to copy it (or make an iso image) ---- K9copy
To Convert AVI or MPG to DVD (vcd, scvd) ---- Avidemux or Devede
To Play DVD movies --- VLC or Xine
To play music --- XMMS or Amarok
File Browsing ---- Konqueror or Nautilis under Gnome
Web Browsing ---- Swiftfox
Convert Mp3 to Wav or rip a CD --- Kaudioucreator or K3B
Word Processing/Office ---- open-office
Graphic manipulation --- The Gimp
DJ'ing --- Gdam or Traktor under wine
Windows Emulation --- Wine
Windows Games --- Cedega
Streaming Audio --- Streamtuner
P2P downloading --- Apollon , Frostwire, Amule, Ktorrent, KDX
Package management --- Kpackage, Synaptic, Adept
GAIM MSN etc ---- kopete, AMSN
terminal -- kterminal

also I used automatix script to put in all java, flash, wine, multimedia codecs, players etc ...it does it automatically of course...
  • Juthro likes this

#10 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 6,901 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Server and laptop on a network. Flawless!

#11 Cheebabear

Cheebabear

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Here's a list of tried and true linux programs i've used over the years....

Burning CD's & DVD's (mp3, wav, data dvd) ---- K3B
Shrinking a DVD to copy it (or make an iso image) ---- K9copy
To Convert AVI or MPG to DVD (vcd, scvd) ---- Avidemux or Devede
To Play DVD movies --- VLC or Xine
To play music --- XMMS or Amarok
File Browsing ---- Konqueror or Nautilis under Gnome
Web Browsing ---- Swiftfox
Convert Mp3 to Wav or rip a CD --- Kaudioucreator or K3B
Word Processing/Office ---- open-office
Graphic manipulation --- The Gimp
DJ'ing --- Gdam or Traktor under wine
Windows Emulation --- Wine
Windows Games --- Cedega
Streaming Audio --- Streamtuner
P2P downloading --- Apollon , Frostwire, Amule, Ktorrent, KDX
Package management --- Kpackage, Synaptic, Adept
GAIM MSN etc ---- kopete, AMSN
terminal -- kterminal

also I used automatix script to put in all java, flash, wine, multimedia codecs, players etc ...it does it automatically of course...

This is a great post! I copied it over to save for a later date whenever I get Linux back on a system. Definitely a useful reference for people wanting to migrate over from windows to Linux.

It would also be very helpful, especially to me anyways, if people running Linux systems could post their systems specs. i.e. What processor, motherboard, video card, etc... The biggest problem I had when trying to run Linux was getting all my hardware to work (3D graphics, RAID, etc..) and trying to find information on hardware compatability for Linux on the internet is tedious to me. There are websites specifically for this purpose but I find them confusing.

It is a lot easier to talk to people who have systems set up and running well about their system specs.

#12 Cheebabear

Cheebabear

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

:eusa_shif ..do you ever get the feeling you're a thread killer?

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

I liked your post, or did you mean me?? haha.

BTW Ubuntu Feisty Fawn is out for downloading. Its possibly one of the best Linux realeases yet..

#14 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

i duel boot slackware and winxppro and use vm ware to run just about everything else , bsd flavors,etc,,, i also have a pc running asterisk built on centos fulltime and all my routers run openwrt or DD-WRT and a xbox running debian

im not a fan of windows but ive never been able to get away from it
completely ,work and a few programs keep me with it !
i have no plans on every useing vista , its garbarge !!

opensource makes me feel more secure also because you can see all of whats going on ,etc,, no nsa keys

#15 flashmike

flashmike

Mycodruid Forum International Mod

• Expired Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

I'm testin Ubuntu 6.10 now. I've installed it over my 1 year old Mandriva. Just to try :) And I really like it. Maybe in the future I'll trash windows, but now I can't get away from few games. Everything else - Linux - OpenOffice, Amaok, K3B & Eclipse :D

#16 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

Nice Mike!

I was up late last night trying to hack an Xbox that I got to run Xubuntu. Everything went fine but when I clicked install linux it barked an error about my version of Dashboard (the Xbox "desktop"). I'll get her figured out soon.

#17 farmermoo

farmermoo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'm testin Ubuntu 6.10 now. I've installed it over my 1 year old Mandriva. Just to try :) And I really like it. Maybe in the future I'll trash windows, but now I can't get away from few games. Everything else - Linux - OpenOffice, Amaok, K3B & Eclipse :D

What games can't you play in linux. Wine/cedega does almost everything.

btw Amarok #@$#@$#@ rocks!

#18 flashmike

flashmike

Mycodruid Forum International Mod

• Expired Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

I've switched 2 xmms and streamtuner now ( I couldn't find streams via amarok :( maybe later I'll figure something out with that). I didn't try to launch games under linux yet - but I've got to figure this out too :) And what do you think about launching silkroad client under lin?

#19 farmermoo

farmermoo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

I've switched 2 xmms and streamtuner now ( I couldn't find streams via amarok :( maybe later I'll figure something out with that). I didn't try to launch games under linux yet - but I've got to figure this out too :) And what do you think about launching silkroad client under lin?

Streams for Amarok are located in the Playlists Tab under Radio strems. They have Cool-Streams presets and Shoutcast Streams.

It looks like silkroad will run under wine. http://appdb.winehq....iVersionId=5391

If not under wine it will work under cedega.

#20 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

I sucessfully hacked one of my Xbox consoles with Debian linux !I used the Mech Assault exploit. It was really exciting to see tux in the boot screen for the first time and also nice to see XMMS and Mplayer working on there. I did it all from plans on : http://www.xbox-linux.org

The page is down right now, not sure why. Maybe by the time you click it it will be back. I can post instructions or help here for hacking an xbox with linux if peoploe want.

Also i've just heard that the Xbox 360 has been hacked sucsessfully.

Lots of fun

H

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!