• Please log in to reply
1003 replies to this topic

#21 farmermoo

farmermoo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

Well I tried with WINE in Feisty and it failed on patching. If I get a chance ill try with cedega but if you have an already patched version in windows i'd give that one a try.

#22 farmermoo

farmermoo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

I sucessfully hacked one of my Xbox consoles with Debian linux !I used the Mech Assault exploit. It was really exciting to see tux in the boot screen for the first time and also nice to see XMMS and Mplayer working on there. I did it all from plans on : http://www.xbox-linux.org

The page is down right now, not sure why. Maybe by the time you click it it will be back. I can post instructions or help here for hacking an xbox with linux if peoploe want.

Also i've just heard that the Xbox 360 has been hacked sucsessfully.

Lots of fun

H

Yah i've been debating on getting an Xbox to use as a media center. I am sick of discs being everywhere and i'd rather just rip the discs I have and put all the dvds away in the closet. I haven't decided if the xbox is the way to go or to up it and get the 360 (although the hack is not quite as stable as i'd like it since if you get one with too high of firmware you are screwed)

#23 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

I'm really enjoying the latest version of Ubuntu. Its called Feisty Fawn. I use it at home and at work.

Anyone else on linux?

List your O.S and thoughts here

H

#24 flashmike

flashmike

Mycodruid Forum International Mod

• Expired Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:11 PM

I'm still on Ubuntu :) Have u tried Beryl? This thing is awesome :rasta:

#25 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

I played around with beryl. Its pretty cool. One of the modes is falling pot leaves...

#26 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 6,888 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

Still very Happy!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1_ubuntushitduck.jpg

#27 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now and loving it very much. Recently I moved over to Linux Mint. Its based on Ubuntu and uses apt-get.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

As usual its free and awesome. You can download and explore the live CD without installing it.

Linux Mint 6 is a great free operating system.

#28 roc

roc

• 6,888 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now and loving it very much. Recently I moved over to Linux Mint. Its based on Ubuntu and uses apt-get.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

As usual its free and awesome. You can download and explore the live CD without installing it.

Linux Mint 6 is a great free operating system.

Cool!
I'll be checking it out...

#29 datsun

datsun

Vroom

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

ubuntu on the desktop at my work, vming windows-xp for of all things outlook.

I work with solaris and debian and bsd based boxes at work.

#30 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

Ok, folks,

I moved the ongoing Linux discussion here to attract some who might have missed it's conception in the "Oh, Catdaddy, where art thou?" thread- so if you want the prelims, go there.

Where I'm at- following the suggestion of the most notable jay-pheno, I installed SuperUbuntu, and configured email and Mycotopia- gotta get the important stuff first, ya know...

I then installed the latest version of TimeVault, to use as an incremental "snapshot" type backup tool. Still working on making that operational, and I feel the need to do so before I take some other worthies' suggestions on video conversion and so forth.

SuperUbuntu was a breeze- downloaded the ISO and burned it to DVD data disc using the default Brasero tool in Ubuntu 8.10. Self-installing.

Sound now works, and an interesting note- when I put an mp3 disc in and it opens in File Browser, if I put the cursor over a song, it plays- move the cursor to a new song, IT plays... what I miss is a popup window asking if I want to rip the CD, like it did with Windows Mediaplayer.

After I figger out TimeVault, or give up and try flyback, I'll deal with the transfer of music files- I still want to transfer all the files from the network to this PC.

Anyway- time for sleep. I did the handgun permit class today and have been invited by the instructor to participate in a competition IDPA pistol
shoot tomorrow- but I don't have a holster for my C9 yet!

I decided to go anyway, and see if I can borrow one at the event. If not, I'll watch, meet some new friends, and maybe make the next event.

Anyone know anything about TimeVault, or a good (preferably self-installing and simple, automated) backup/restore program?

#31 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

Another interesting note- every time I try to access page TWO of the good morning/good night thread, Firefox shuts down!

OK, something else- I went to btjunkie.org- firefox shut down.

ran error console, showed three errors, but also shutdown with firefox (3.04).

#32 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

Linux Mint was good to me but I have an older machine and an odd-ball ati video card. I decided to download and install the brand new Ubuntu 9.04 !

Canonical Announces Availability of Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition

Faster boot speed, enhanced application suite and more visual appeal -- give users more reasons than ever to choose Ubuntu

LONDON, April 20, 2009 – Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, announced today that Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition is free to download from Thursday 23 April. Also announced were the simultaneous releases of Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition and Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix (UNR)

Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition delivers a range of feature enhancements to improve the user experience. Shorter boot speeds, some as short as 25 seconds, ensure faster access to a full computing environment on most desktop, laptop and netbook models. Enhanced suspend-and-resume features also give users more time between charges along with immediate access after hibernation. Intelligent switching between Wi-Fi and 3G environments has been broadened to support more wireless devices and 3G cards, resulting in a smoother experience for most users.

Jane Silber, COO, Canonical, says: “With every release, we see Ubuntu Desktop Edition make significant steps forward in appealing to mainstream computer users. With access to the latest office productivity suite, support for Skype and Adobe Flash, and faster boot times, we're confident that Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition will see more people join millions of others and make the switch to an open platform."

Ubuntu 9.04 features OpenOffice.org 3.0. This gives users a complete office suite that is entirely compatible with Microsoft Office. This free office software provides an immediate saving of at least $200 for users who need to create presentations, write documents or manage spreadsheets at work or at home.

A new integrated notification system appears in Ubuntu 9.04 for the first time. This system combines the notification methods of various applications and presents that information in a simple, unobtrusive manner. New icons and artwork also appear in this release, part of the continual improvement of the Ubuntu user experience.

http://www.ubuntu.co...tu-9.04-desktop

#33 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

I really like it already...

After many years on KDE i've switched to Gnome desktop. Now setting it up.

:eusa_clap

#34 roc

roc

• 6,888 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Gnome has been good to me the last 3-4 years...

#35 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

KDE was gone absolutely whacky. Its full of weird toolbars , widgets and other bizzare stuff.

I shit you not I went back to the new KDE and spent hours trying to get the toolbar to be anywhere near where I like it. You can't even right click on the desktop and make a folder !

Never mind who killed the electric car ! Who killed KDE ?

Now installing all my favorite programs through synpatic.

#36 ninjashoes

ninjashoes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

I have been meaning to try linux mint. So far I have used ubuntu and puppy

puppy is great because you can launch it from a usb thumb drive and will run completely from ram

#37 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

I have been faithful to UBUNTU since ver. 5.10.I have used many other flavors,SUSE,Red hat,Fedora,Slackware,Gentoo too name a few but Ubuntu is my fix for sure.I am guilty of using a bit too much Windose,but hey,I love games,and well wine and Cedega just do not cut it for me.One day though...One day...

#38 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

KDE was gone absolutely whacky. Its full of weird toolbars , widgets and other bizzare stuff.

I shit you not I went back to the new KDE and spent hours trying to get the toolbar to be anywhere near where I like it. You can't even right click on the desktop and make a folder !

Never mind who killed the electric car ! Who killed KDE ?

Now installing all my favorite programs through synpatic.

I agree,I used to really like KDE desktop,but I don't even bother now.

#39 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

I agree,I used to really like KDE desktop,but I don't even bother now.

Same here.
When i first got Ubuntu, I tried Kubuntu.
Everything was waayy to glitchy and weird.

Now I love Gnome :love:

#40 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Its ironic that the day I decide enough is enough for my problems , and that i'm going back to download/install a new OS ... Ubuntu 9.04 is released !

Anyone else download it today ? I'd like to see the numbers. I bet its in the millions. :loveeyes:

By the way I thought i'd mention that this is a good place to ask questions regarding Linux and the open-source movement. Wonder what all the talk is about ... just ask.

Also if you have any problems , issues , solutions , jokes , screenshots , post away. Everyone is welcome here. Even if you don't know what the hell a Ubuntu is or the difference between KDE and a Gnome.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!