1027 replies to this topic

#1001 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

I'm sure it's Mac OS.  There are a few audio books I have on there that I want to keep, so I guess I should find a friend with a Mac to help me get these MP3s moved from a thumb drive to the iPod.

Oh, and thanks for that info in post #1000.

Edited by Alder Logs, 28 March 2017 - 06:03 PM.

• shoomer likes this

#1002 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

I'm sure it's Mac OS.  There are a few audio books I have on there that I want to keep, so I guess I should find a friend with a Mac to help me get these MP3s moved from a thumb drive to the iPod.

Oh, and thanks for that info in post #1000.

If there are audio books on it then it has been attached to a PC/Mac before so it does have some database, I'm just not sure if it sets up all databases at once or just as mp3/vid/ebook are copied to it.

If all get set up at once you should be able to use Rhythembox or Amarok, etc. to copy music to/from the ipod (although if you copy mp3s back from the ipod the file names will not be human friendly).  THIS PAGE says that Apple re-crippled the latest versions of the iPod again (sorry).

Hardware manufactures are usually not kind in the way of drivers for Linux and it can take years for some volunteer to back-engineer one.

If yours is the latest gen. I think that what you outline above may be your only hope. Bummer.

• Alder Logs likes this

#1003 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Reading some of the latest info on the how installing Windows 10 is a bit like date rape and came across something I didn't know about Ubuntu.

​It's a decent OS, but it seems to be taking cues from M$ in collecting search data on the back end and selling it to 3rd party vendors for custom advertising in the default install.

https://fixubuntu.com/ points out where these settings are and how to disable them in the unity tweak tool.

​Just a FYI if you run a current Ubuntu release

Edited by shoomer, 31 March 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#1004 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

Hey, even I was able to do it!

• shoomer likes this

#1005 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

Hey Niem (or anyone who knows), do Linux OS computers have to have their hard drives defragged like the Windoze ones I used to have?   If so, how is it done?  Shit has gotten really slow on my box here.

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 December 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#1006 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

How much RAM memory do you have in that computer? I just went through this with a box that turned out to have 512 meg RAM and could not even open a browser. Just ordered 2 one gig DDR stucks for $9.95

#1007 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

3.8 gigs

It ran really nice and fast for a long time.  I could go many days without reboots.  Now it's almost every day to keep it moving at all.  

I have been looking at Linux forums and don't know enough to know what I am reading.

free -m
                     total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           3843        2967         324         125         551         505
Swap:          3985        1065        2920

I don't know what this means, but I saw someone told to show it.  That was a few minutes ago.

I rebooted yesterday.  It will be crawling by tomorrow.

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 December 2017 - 04:47 PM.

#1008 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

Okay sounds like you got plenty of ram. I'm guessing some things may have gotten broken during updating... could you refresh what distro/version of Linux your using

#1009 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

You may have missed my edits on my last post.

#1010 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

https://www.youtube....h68&app=desktop A youtube on how to defrag in linux via command line.

#1011 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Thanks.  I have to select 480p and let that buffer in with my crappy DSL speeds.  It's too blurry to read on Auto.

#1012 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Using e4defrag If you prefer a simpler approach, install e2fsprogs, sudo apt-get install e2fsprogs Then when its installed: sudo e4defrag  / Not sure this will help the issue but it won't hurt..and it will take some time. Make some tea and watch the text stream by but don't use the computer until its done https://www.maketech...fragment-linux/.

#1013 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

sudo apt-get install e2fsprogs

#1014 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

sudo e4defrag  /

#1015 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

I am on a phone and could not edit my post. Wanted to those two commands to be clear and easy to copy/paste (use cntr-c,cntrl-v)

#1016 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

I searched that e4defrag command and found where someone trying it accidentally reformatted.   That's pretty scary for someone as ignorant and unexperienced as I am.

#1017 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

I think I better wait for a morning time when I am on my one hit of caffeine for the day to think about trying any of this.  If I lose computer operation, I lose 'Topia, among other things.  70 YO dogs are not very good with new trix.  

#1018 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

I bet you its not a defrag issue anyhow. Nor is it ram. Got to be upating leading to broken stuff...should not be be to hard to fix. Be nice if you could back up your shit and just reinstall a fresh new Ubuntu. So hard to work backwards from broken.

#1019 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,505 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

Are you able to do a back up?

#1020 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

One curious thing of note.   I can go to bed with things still running a bearable speed and when I wake up the next day, without my having done any activity through the night to speak of, things can be very slow, including gray screens, telling me that all the RAM has gotten tied up while I slept.  I can even have pulled the ethernet plug and am mechanically off line and this can happen.  

Brand new install last spring or summer.   It takes forever with my DSL, which is much worse now than when the install happened.  C-Link totally oversold its bandwidth around here and will not improve the infrastructure, so it's all downhill as far as any of us here can see.  We are in a canyon so no wireless access either.   The only alternative is satellite, and that's pretty spendy, and we still have to have our land lines, being in a canyon.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!