hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,745 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:24 PM

Best Linux Software: Our Editorial List of Essential Linux Apps

Being a new Linux user, sometimes you may feel your Linux system is scary and confusing if you recently have come from Windows or Mac OS. But unquestionably the Linux Environment is not like that. Here you can enjoy the freedom of using lots of amazing Best Linux software which comes free of cost mostly. In this article, I am going to focus on a detailed list of Best Linux software which will help the Linux users to get the latest and best Linux apps from different categories.

Edited by hyphaenation, 20 July 2019 - 01:24 PM.

• Myc likes this

#1122 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:58 AM

Using Talis and Tor likely invites more scrutiny from the government as they now know you have something to hide.

This is true and is a trigger to get on the NSA list.

Google search for Tails is one avenue used and downloading can be seen by PRISM and reported to the NSA.

I use DuckDuckGo for search and only visit and download while behind a VPN.

An ISP can see the use of Tails and TOR but with the widespread use of VPN's for business access the ISP now has a large volume to sift through and typically don't but they do log it in case of being suppeneod for records.

One other weakness is the exit TOR server but I think this has been addressed by later versions of Tails.

Being on the NSA list can be triggered by so many means that they can't chase down all these people so I don't worry about them knocking on the door just for my effort to have privacy.

The exception is that if I was busted for something pretty major or added to a specific list such as known terrorist list and then AI tied me back to the NSA list the I would be concerned.

With Snowden exposure and the last Administration using the NSA to spy on private citizens we are all at risk.

Another safeguard I use is to use a Swedish VPN and Mail service due to their strict laws and the inability for our Government to get records especially when a service there may not even keep logs.

Bottom line is there is nothing 100% but you can sure make it difficult for them to violate your privacy.

Another safe measure is to use a cryptocurrency for payments and only use a vendor on the other end that also requires the use of TOR or Swedish based servers.

#1123 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

So folks, I'm back to jiggle the pump handle a bit more.

@ Hyphaenation - I have followed the useful links you provided for new Ubuntu users and have grabbed a thing or two.

What I'm most curious about is the effectiveness of this AV program:

https://home.sophos.com/en-us.aspx

I'm not afraid to pay a little extra to get a full(er) version. Just looking for you folk's opinion on its value.

Currently, I'm surfing without protection. But I"m not a prolific searcher and don't download a bunch of stuff either so I should be safe for a short while. Your advice is most welcome.

I have a current version of Bitdefender over on my windoz OS but that AV is developing quite a large footprint these days - taking up more space and more time to operate. I'm ready to leave them behind for something better.

@ Roc - How did you "strip out all of the Amazon crap" out of the program? All I could find was an area where I could turn-off certain automatic reporting features.

#1124 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,745 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:20 AM

Yeah I would be leary about paying anything for any Linux software...no need. Also in 20 years i have never run anti-virus software on Linux. To each there own and there sure is stuff you can run. I have never had an issue.

Quick Links: 6 Best Free Antivirus for Linux

Does a Linux Device Really Need an Antivirus?

You may be surprised to know that there are in fact Linux antivirus programs out there, but they are few and far between. It’s probably highly unlikely that you will be one of the rare few to be hit by a virus, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

In order to keep safe, you should do the same as Windows users and make sure your software programs are up to date (Java and Flash especially), be aware of the latest phishing scams, and never run any commands from untrusted sources.

While Linux is undoubtedly better protected than Windows when it comes to mainstream viruses and malware, no device is 100 percent fool-proof, so installing at least a free Linux antivirus won’t do any harm.

https://www.safetyde...irus-for-linux/

• Myc likes this

#1125 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,745 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:25 AM

I do not use Ubuntu desktop so have no idea if this will help you with the privacy stuff..

How to Remove the Amazon Application From Ubuntu

https://www.lifewire...-ubuntu-4134329

related read
https://www.pcworld....-retailers.html

How to Stop Ubuntu From Collecting Data About Your PC
https://www.howtogee...a-about-your-pc

Edited by hyphaenation, 21 July 2019 - 11:32 AM.

#1126 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:28 PM

I do not use Ubuntu desktop so have no idea if this will help you with the privacy stuff..

How to Remove the Amazon Application From Ubuntu

https://www.lifewire...-ubuntu-4134329

related read
https://www.pcworld....-retailers.html

How to Stop Ubuntu From Collecting Data About Your PC
https://www.howtogee...a-about-your-pc

Just set up my Ubuntu laptop today and after getting the VPN set and steady I found this post helpful to get rid of Amazon. Lately I've been pretty distraught thinking about how much data Google, Amazon, large governments and the like have on me and how easily this data could be used to compromise my situation. Getting informed about what I can do to protect myself from a physical and digital data snoopers from Resist and Rebel has been a godsend.

From reading I am starting to come to terms with the situation of this modern life and have cooled off on the paranoia aspect of being a counter culture person in this black and white world.

Thank yall

• hyphaenation likes this

#1127 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:32 PM

Here's the simple way to get rid of the Amazon script...

Direct link

By far the easiest way to remove software installed on your Ubuntu system is to use the "Ubuntu Software" tool which is the one-stop shop for installing the majority of applications within Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has a launch bar on the left side of the screen. To start the Ubuntu Software tool select the icon on the launch bar that looks like a shopping bag with the letter A on it.

How to Uninstall Software Using the Ubuntu Software Tool
removeubuntusoftware-58879d505f9b58bdb35

The "Ubuntu Software" tool has three tabs:

• All
  • Installed
  • Updates

Click on the Installed tab and scroll down until you find the application you wish to uninstall. 

To uninstall the software package, select on the Remove button.

While this works for many packages it doesn't work for all of them. If you cannot find the program that you wish to uninstall in the list then you should move onto the next step.

Edited by roc, 21 July 2019 - 10:37 PM.

• hyphaenation and Myc like this

#1128 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:56 PM

I would not bother with an Anti-Virus program when running Linux.

Blacklist / Whitelist antivirus is so dated and in 20+ years I've never seen an infected Linux machine.

Just not happening these days.

An anti-virus program is the most invasive piece of software out there with access to the memory and all the files on a hard disk and boot records it is more risk than it's worth.

Just ask our fucking government about how the Russians have acquired Top Secret documents  via Kaspersky Ant-Virus

• Myc likes this

#1129 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,745 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

We already gained a bunch Linux adherents just since Roc's last bump !  (and almost 2000 views)   

GNU / Linux Forever !   :meditate:

Attached Thumbnails

• images (31).jpeg

Edited by hyphaenation, 21 July 2019 - 11:15 PM.

• roc, Myc and Moonless like this

#1130 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,719 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

This has been (and is) one of the most valuable resources I've been able to find. Largely because I trust you guys and value your opinion very highly. 

I've done my own research but there is such an overwhelming volume of information out there ....

You guys have shown me that it is valuable to look before you leap. The AV issue was causing me concern but that appears to be a non-issue. Thanks for your concise, straight-forward guidance!!

• roc and Moonless like this

#1131 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:15 PM

Does any one of yall have VPN set up so it connects as soon as you connect to internet? I really like having auto VPN?
Using protonVPN through openVPN on Ubuntu

#1132 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

Is there a setting in network setting VPN that allows a selection to connect automaticly?

I'm on the run right now and using Tails so I can't recreate it right now.

I'll try to confirm on my Ubuntu setup later.

• Moonless likes this

#1133 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

I snooped around the setting menu for the VPN seems that everything is already on automatic. Gonna give it a duck duck go search!

• roc likes this

#1134 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:55 PM

I snooped around the setting menu for the VPN seems that everything is already on automatic. Gonna give it a duck duck go search!

I went ahead and put in a support ticket at Proton and should get an answer in the next day.

• Moonless likes this

#1135 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Does any one of yall have VPN set up so it connects as soon as you connect to internet? I really like having auto VPN?
Using protonVPN through openVPN on Ubuntu

Here's the response from Proton on this issue.

They own the problem not OpenVpn which you already found the automatic option.

Igor (ProtonVPN)

Jul 24, 09:27 CEST

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, our CLI tool for Linux does not offer a feature to auto-connect on boot but we will forward this information to our developers so they can work on implementing it in any of the future updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any other issues or inquiries please let us know.

Regards,
Igor
ProtonVPN.com

#1136 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

Thank you deer Roc. I appreciate you putting in a support ticket for me. So with Tails are you pretty anonymous wherever you post? even here?

I recently switched from an Apple laptop to an old Dell "scrapbook" running linux and boasting an SSD. I find that this is a great anonymous system for my means and it was pretty cheap too!

#1137 roc

roc

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:06 PM

Thank you deer Roc. I appreciate you putting in a support ticket for me. So with Tails are you pretty anonymous wherever you post? even here?

I recently switched from an Apple laptop to an old Dell "scrapbook" running linux and boasting an SSD. I find that this is a great anonymous system for my means and it was pretty cheap too!

Shit I just realized I needed to change the text color so you could read the message... I need to slow down and pay attention.

Your "scrapbook" sounds like the ticket!

Tails is a real pain in the ass to use and is really unnecessary for 'Topia. It is great for portability and use on a public WiFi. In reality if I'm out of the country on a public WiFi and need to skirt geo blocking it's really not worth the hassle. Stateside I only have one "vendor" that requires communications via Tor so it's more of a novelty for me and the thrill is in the challenge.

#1138 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Shit I just realized I needed to change the text color so you could read the message... I need to slow down and pay attention.

Your "scrapbook" sounds like the ticket!

Tails is a real pain in the ass to use and is really unnecessary for 'Topia. It is great for portability and use on a public WiFi. In reality if I'm out of the country on a public WiFi and need to skirt geo blocking it's really not worth the hassle. Stateside I only have one "vendor" that requires communications via Tor so it's more of a novelty for me and the thrill is in the challenge.

No worries Roc!

I'm really enjoying the Ubuntu experience, and I feel like such a cool cat having two computers.  I feel ya on the novelty challange I get a kick out of it too. My first Ubuntu experience was 8 years ago I double butted my Asus Laptop with various distributions, overall I loved Ubuntu compared to Debian or Mint because Ubuntu is pretty and purple. Very happy with how it has stayed modern and supportive all these years.

Keep up the good work

• roc likes this

#1139 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,437 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

I just found this review of the latest Ubuntu LTS version on Bit Chute.  I am betting Bit Chute videos don't automatically embed here.  So, this is a test.

https://www.bitchute...o/qG8xGq50khE3/

Nope, you'll have to click the link.  I am very new to watching video on Bit Chute, but hope it might bring GooTube down a notch or three.

Edited by Alder Logs, 03 August 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#1140 interdimensionalbeing

interdimensionalbeing

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

This seems like an old thread but it's been a while since I've been on here. I have been distro hopping for years and I finally landed on one I really like. Its called MX linux. I'm running MX 18.3 "Continuum". MX 19 will be out sometime this fall. It's based on Debian stable and also includes tools and features from antiX linux but with no systemd. We'll it gives you a choice to boot into SysVinit or systemd but systemd is disabled by default. It comes with Xfce DE by default but there's other DE's to choose from as well. It's the fastest, snappiest, and most responsive distro I've ever tried. No matter how many processes I have running or how many tabs I have open it never lags. It's fully customizable too. I love it!  So next time you get a chance test it out!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!