Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

I do love those liberty caps.....

#42 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

It's not black and white.  If you see someone exploiting humans, the earth, and sacred molecules for personal gain above everything else, you will know it.

This reminds me of the phrase that someone said once, "I know it when I see it"

If someone has the opportunity and the inclination to make a living providing sacred experiences, should they turn it down and go work at the Carrier plant, or selling health insurance for Aetna?  

Most money is dirty.  Whatever job you have to do to survive..  If you get paid through a corporation, they are probably exploiting others so that you can have that pittance of a direct deposit.  If you are a state or federal employee (or on social security benefits) you can thank your paycheck to the ruthless practices that your nation has exerted on the planet.

When you consider where your money really comes from, it gives you a different take on exchanging money for sacred molecules.

I worked for Aramark.  WORST COMPANY EVER.  You want to see a company that will fire someone the same day they are diagnosed with cancer go work for Aramark.  Or hire rapists or child molestors cause they will work at the low end of the pay scale.  Or put employees in housing without bathrooms.  On and on.

Yes money is dirty by its very nature.

• orangutan likes this

#43 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

Yes money is dirty by its very nature.

No.

Money, in and of itself has no internal motivation. It is simply a storage unit of exchange value.

What is dirty by it's nature is the corruption of the assigned value of monitary units by power brokers who have been given the authority to assign, and change at their whim, wgat each unit is "worth".

You and I cannot change the buying power of the money we have, but they can. That is what is dirty. That is how they can steal it.

That's why they hate gold, silver, and barter. Because those units they don't control.

We cannot ever blame our tools for wickedness, only moral concious beings can be and do that.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 09 January 2017 - 11:59 PM.

• orangutan likes this

#44 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,334 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:25 AM

Greed is dirty.

#45 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

Greed is dirty.

Agreed! It corrupts a persons soul, and turns them into a lesser and lower being. It can be an insidious virus, and we each need to watch for it in ourselves because it comes in many flavors, disguising itself.  I'm pointing the finger at myself here, because I know I have fallen prey to it's siren song before.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 10 January 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#46 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,657 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

My favorite Bogart movie: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

[Direct Link]

by Joaquin Miller, 1873, pp. 256 - 57:

When the Modoc has led his last warrior to battle up yonder in his rocky fortress, fired his last shot, and the grass is growing in the last war-path of those people, then, and not till then, I may go up where the solemn trees with their dead branches stand around, making faces at something in the centre, pitch a tent there, and go down in the caƱon with men, and picks and shovels, and bars of steel and iron.

At the same time, I am trying to bring myself up to the conviction of the truth, that a great deal of gold is rather to be avoided than sought after. Every day I look around, and see how many thousands there are who have gold and nothing else; I see the sin there is in it and the getting of it. The ten thousand temptations it brings a man, tied up in the bags along with it, and let out when it is let out, inseparable from it. I see that it is sinking my country, morally, every day; and yet with this steady drift of all things toward the one goal, this sailing of every ship in life for the one Golden Gate, barren as it is, forgetting the green isles of palm and the warm winds there; I say, with all this, it is hard to stand up tall and despise it.

Save money for the children? Bosh! Are you afraid to put them down on the track of life, to take a fair and even start with the rest? Do you want to start them ahead of nine-tenths of those who have to run the race of life? Do you think they have not the brains or backbone enough to make their way with the rest? How many of all the millions can start with a fortune?

No. Put them out on the track, well trained and strong, and let them run the race fairly and squarely with the humblest there, and if they win they win like men. Must have money to appear well! Fiddle-sticks! To buy a new coat and furniture, so as to receive your friends. My dear sir, friends never yet came to see a man's new coat or his nice house; never! If your friends want to see new coats, they can go to the clothing stores and see a thousand every day for nothing.

No, we do not hoard up money altogether for the children, or for friends to look upon, but we heap it up because we are selfish cowards! Because we have not nerve enough to stand on our own merit, or having so little merit and so much money, we prefer to trust the latter for a place in the eyes of the world. And then there is the low, contemptible fear that we will come to want, and so toil and toil and build a barricade of gold about us, and die at last in fear, pinched to death between twenty-dollar pieces, that the starved and hungry soul has crept between, with the last bit of young strong manhood that we were born with crushed utterly out of us.

Edited by Alder Logs, 10 January 2017 - 10:27 AM.

• Sidestreet and Juthro like this

#47 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,416 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

Now, we could be crossing the line from UPG (unverified personal gnosis) right here to an interesting status of "I heard that exact same message"...well almost exactly! Something like "to you for free and want for gain, in this action will find great pain" So heard the wyrdo around his fire pit .............and it means exactly the same thing! Straight up! I HEARD IT...I live it...........already knew it and asked them again the same question.........the response was convincing.............."don't fuck with the sacred"

A

• Alder Logs likes this

#48 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

I'm out of likes, but Alder, Arathu, excellent quotes!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!