Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about Amanita Muscaria (and the ((Var,)) stuff)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dannytyg

dannytyg

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:51 AM

Hello people

I am planning to go hunting for some Amanita Muscaria mushrooms around [coastal South Africa] (quite a few reports stated that there were a few places that these things grow naturally), and I was wondering:

What are there precautions to take when picking between Amanita muscaria (Red with white spots) and other ones (that I found out about on the internet last night) namely stuff like Amanita muscaria var Formosa (I only know that they have orange/yellow caps) or Amanita muscaris var guessowii?

I'm so confused with this scientific naming stuff haha....

Personal experience wll also be greatly appreciated!!

xx

Enjoy

:chucks: :chucks: :chucks:

Edited by Sidestreet, 22 December 2016 - 06:04 AM.
edited location :)

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:06 AM

Welcome Danny!  I'm sure someone will come by who knows something about Amanita Muscaria.

In the meantime, I edited your location to make it less specific, because we don't get too specific around here.  :)

Poke around a bit and make a couple more posts and you will soon be able to post anywhere on the site.

niemandfinal

• dannytyg likes this

#3 GrumpyGnome

GrumpyGnome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:30 AM

Welcome danny. One key thing to look for when identifying Amanita Muscaria is to look for several rings of veil material at the bottom of the stem right above the bulb. Sometimes the spots on the cap can wash off so its important to look for these rings. Heres an example of some of the yellow variety I found this fall, good luck on your hunt and be safe! Ps: As for the different variations its mainly just a colour difference I belive. To my limited knowledge they all have similar alkaloids. I find Guessowii around my area. Hope this helped alittle.

Attached Files

Edited by GrumpyGnome, 22 December 2016 - 09:41 AM.

• dannytyg likes this

#4 dannytyg

dannytyg

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

Welcome Danny!  I'm sure someone will come by who knows something about Amanita Muscaria.

In the meantime, I edited your location to make it less specific, because we don't get too specific around here.  :)

Poke around a bit and make a couple more posts and you will soon be able to post anywhere on the site.

Thank you and sorry! I'll be more careful in the future :))

#5 dannytyg

dannytyg

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:48 AM

Welcome danny. One key thing to look for when identifying Amanita Muscaria is to look for several rings of veil material at the bottom of the stem right above the bulb. Sometimes the spots on the cap can wash off so its important to look for these rings. Heres an example of some of the yellow variety I found this fall, good luck on your hunt and be safe! Ps: As for the different variations its mainly just a colour difference I belive. To my limited knowledge they all have similar alkaloids. I find Guessowii around my area. Hope this helped alittle.

That clears up pretty much everything for me, and I"ll definately look out for those rings.

Your help is much appreciated!!

• catattack and GrumpyGnome like this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,124 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

a. muscaria var. guessowii is a majestic late spring to fall mushroom here under the pine tree's. Mostly in the fall but sometimes prolific throughout the summer too,  IF the rains happen. I'm in the Eastern US and have not seen red a. muscaria muscaria here but plenty of yellow ones. Amanita is definitely a species to be very careful with although once you become familiar with these they're pretty easy to identify IME.

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!