#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

I wanted to start a thread with useful diy type information to use in your labs, grow areas, and workshops. So to start I will put up the next two videos about how to:

1.) Make Proto-putty
2.) Make a vacuum chamber.

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Proto-putty has a million uses, and of course a vacuum chamber can be used for a variety of extraction processes as well as many other things in the home lab.

My hope is that like our awesome library we will also have some great diy videos and instructions that we can all use!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 23 December 2016 - 07:37 PM.

• riseabovethought, ethnobotanist420, Stoned Angel and 8 others like this

#2 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:56 PM

By the way, a vacuum chamber is the fastest way to dry your mycelial sacraments whilst preserving maximum potency. You put them in the chamber with a bag of dessicant and suck out all the air. This removes oxygen that oxidizes actives, causes all water to "boil off" at room temperature, and you can introduce carbon dioxide (or even better if you can manage it, nitrogen) when you release the vacuum. Then put them in food saver pouches, and throw them in the freezer. They will keep Thier potency for decades!
  • dead_diver, riseabovethought, Microbe and 7 others like this

#3 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,544 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

This is great. I got one question what about vaccum distilling flammable solvents?  Does a guy need a special pump, is there anyway to recover a solvent to be re used.

• Microbe and SteampunkScientist like this

#4 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

Damn dude!  I like how you think.  Way outa the box.  Nice.  Please keep this kinda stuff coming!  That really got my gears turnin!  Thank you Steam!

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#5 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

Vacuum distilling any flammable liquid is sketchy, because the vapor goes through the pump, and most vacuum pumps like the kind you get at places like harbor freight use a piston based pump mechanism... Because that is the cheapest way to do it. Compressing flammable vapor in the pump can cause an explosion!

Other problems are that rubber and plastic seals in the pump can be degraded by solvents as well. I have thought about doing this as well for DMT and other extraction processes, but the risks using a pump like this outweigh the rewards I believe.

More expensive high speed impeller vacuum pumps might be able to do this safely in a proper environment where there are no sparks, but I would be very careful doing this sort of thing.

Rise, thanks for the positive vibes! I shall endeavour to post anything that will help us spread the love and truth of our work here at Mycotopia, and I hope everyone will do the same!

UPDATE: I did some reading of laboratory procedure for using a vacuum pump when suctioning volital and flamible liquid. You can do it, but it must be with a vacuum trap, one that condenses 90% or more of the volital substances. It must be done under a fume hood too. The vacuume pump must have good pump oil inside. You must have a stop-cock valve between the pump and the apparatus, and you must always shut the valve before turning off the pump. The oil should be changed if volital substances get into the pump.

If you can swing those things, I would still put a flame sheild between myself and the apparatus. I would do it in an outbuilding and not my house.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 26 December 2016 - 10:31 PM.

• Sidestreet, Microbe, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

Extracting lead and sulfuric acid from batteries.

[Direct Link]

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 27 December 2016 - 11:24 PM.

• Alder Logs, Microbe, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,544 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Steam great info, I can think of many uses for a Vacuum chamber, especially water extraction.

I wonder if a vacuum trap set into salted ice or even dry ice would help trapping the solvent for re use.

This whole thread has been very useful to way more people than will ever comment.

Thanks

• Oriononthehorizon likes this

#8 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

Steam great info, I can think of many uses for a Vacuum chamber, especially water extraction.

I wonder if a vacuum trap set into salted ice or even dry ice would help trapping the solvent for re use.

This whole thread has been very useful to way more people than will ever comment.

Thanks

Yes! You put a condensing coil (glass or metal) between the vessel with the flammable liquid, and the vacuum pump.  As the vapor moves through the condenser it will turn back into liquid as long as the vacuum has not reduced the pressure to the point where even in the condenser it cannot re-liquefy.

You see the problem here is that we have reduced the pressure with the vacuum pump till the liquid "boils" into vapor at room temperature.  But we need to keep the vacuum just at this transition point if we want it to re-condense BEFORE it reaches the pump manifold itself.  So we have to play a balancing act here between the vacuum and the temperature of the condenser.  We need to have multiple valves between the condenser and the vessel, between the vacuum pump and the condenser.

Even then, some small amount of the volatile vapor is going to get into the pump.  So before starting this whole operation, it is probably wise to fill the original vessel with carbon dioxide or possibly nitrogen gas to reduce the presence of oxygen.  This way the compressed vapor in the pump will not ignite and possibly blow up the vacuum pump.

If all of these steps are taken carfully, I believe you could probably safely perform a vacuum condensation of flammable liquids.

• Heirloom , Oriononthehorizon and Jeepster like this

#9 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:11 AM

We have mentioned fume hoods several times whilst talking about the condensation of flammable liquids, but a fume hood is something that is very useful to the home DIY'er, especially with regard to the various experiments we like to do here at the 'Topia so.... thought I would go through several videos on fume hood construction and present what I felt was one of the better videos (there are several more out there).

The fact is, with minor modification, a fume hood can double as a contamination free glove-box if you use some HEPA listed filtration.  By reversing the fan with such filters you can build yourself a "Clean Box".

So lets get started building a professional Quality Fume Hood for a few dollars using supplies you can find at a hardware store, at your local Goodwill, or the scrapyard.

[Direct Link]

• shoomer, Heirloom , Oriononthehorizon and 1 other like this

#10 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:48 AM

SteamDude, you and your thread ROCK!!!

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

Thank you sir!  I hope it helps us save money and resources, and spread the love of our precious sacraments far and wide.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 29 December 2016 - 08:05 AM.

• Heirloom and Jeepster like this

#12 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:09 AM

Thank you sir!  I hope it helps us save money and resources, and spread the love of our precious sacraments far and wide.

Ran out of "Likes" today on your thread alone! Hey, can we get a "Love" or an "Epic" key?
  • SteampunkScientist and Opalguy like this

#13 Oriononthehorizon

Oriononthehorizon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

Awesome thread and info, thanks Steam!!!

#14 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

Here is a new useful thing for you, but this one is not so much "Science-y", but is a more Financial practical bit of knowledge.

I know many of you have heard of "Life-Lock" and they do provide a practical and useful service, however some research I did shows that there is a better (and much cheaper) alternative.  It is called "Credit Freeze".

Did you know that you can freeze your credit such that nobody but you can give the go-ahead to open any lines of credit on your account even if your entire identity were stolen? I didn't.

Check out this very short but very informative link: http://www.clark.com...k-credit-freeze

You can set up monitoring, have it report to an app on your phone, and control all credit transactions (without it affecting your credit cards, bank accounts etc.) for usually free or for a very small 1 time fee af around 10 dollars or so.  That beats the $109 per year that the lowest level of Life-Lock will cost you, and provide a stronger wall of protection.

#15 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Unless I'm completely out of my mind, you can accomplish the services offered by "life lock" ....... for free on your own. Granted, it is a more hands-on approach as opposed to sub-contracting the work to a second party. 

All you have to do is contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies and place a "fraud alert" on your account. The two remaining agencies will be notified and take action accordingly. 

#16 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Unless I'm completely out of my mind, you can accomplish the services offered by "life lock" ....... for free on your own. Granted, it is a more hands-on approach as opposed to sub-contracting the work to a second party. 

All you have to do is contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies and place a "fraud alert" on your account. The two remaining agencies will be notified and take action accordingly. 

That is true, but a "fraud alert" may also lock your current credit cards and automated payments, unlike a "credit freeze" and it's the same amount of leg-work.  To "Thaw" your credit you need to make a phone call to each of the 3 credit agencies.  This is what you would do for, say, a car or home loan.

#17 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Back to more DIY Useful things....

Just got back from a thread on using Activated carbon in your PF and Bulk cake techs which is being tested then none other than our illustrious Catattack (shout out!). That thread is here: https://mycotopia.ne...tivated-carbon/

So... How to make your own activated carbon from food waste!  Plus a bonus, how to "Reactivate" Activated carbon filter cartridges (which you then use for whatever)

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs, CatsAndBats and Opalguy like this

#18 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

New idea:

We know that we can boil water in a jar under vacuume. We also know that under a lesser vacuume we can remove all the dissolved oxygen from water. Finally we know that psilocybin is very soluble in water.

This means that we can safely evaporate nearly pure psilocybin from essentially a room temperature mushroom tea. Or we can make an exceedingly strong tincture by almost reducing out all the water.

Now can just put a drop or two in a fruit juice.

Because we are keeping it at room temperature, we are not destroying the actives. By removing the oxygen through vacuum we don't have to heat the water.
  • PsyBearknot, Heirloom and Opalguy like this

#19 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,367 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

Great thread man. I love the Proto putty. Lead me to food grade silicone. I will be making a lego candy mold very soon I wanted to make some shroom gummies and was looking towards alcohol tincture but know they taste like shit but if evaped down a small amount should not effect the flavor too much. The idea of evaping the water based tea is very interesting.
  • Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#20 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

Love the new Avatar PsyBear! Quite fitting :meditate: :biggrin:

By the way folks, Please put in all of your own DIY useful stuff!  I hope to make this a "go to" thread for ideas that save bunches of $$$ and time resources for everyone, not to mention that we learn from doing! It's one thing to wish peace, love and prosperity to all, but to be able to use everyday stuff to produce useful things that make life easier and allow us to give true help and hope to others (and boy this world needs that!) is how we put rubber on our intentions.

I am continually amazed at the amount of crazy good ideas, methods, and viewpoints of the people on this forum.  I hope that one day we can create some sort of "festival/conference" where we can get together physically for true idea trading, learning, loving, sharing, etc.  with music, food, sacraments, and friendship...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 09 January 2017 - 09:04 AM.

• Opalguy likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!