That's the cimate they like a lot.
  • Arathu, Heirloom Spores and salviamycelium like this

#22 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

Then I should try to grow something other than contams. That's all I've got so far.

Edited by salviamycelium, 19 January 2017 - 04:30 PM.

#23 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,013 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Receiving mycelium through the mail is easy.

Take an agar wedge and put it into a small baggie like one would use for prints.

Install the baggie into a greeting card or other thank you card with a piece of tape to keep it from floating around during transit. 

Ship just as you would a print. It doesn't matter if it gets mashed or molested - so long as it's clean. 

Unpack and expand upon arrival. 

Too easy. Done it dozens of times. 

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#24 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Receiving mycelium through the mail is easy.

Take an agar wedge and put it into a small baggie like one would use for prints.

Install the baggie into a greeting card or other thank you card with a piece of tape to keep it from floating around during transit. 

Ship just as you would a print. It doesn't matter if it gets mashed or molested - so long as it's clean. 

Unpack and expand upon arrival. 

Too easy. Done it dozens of times. 

I understand but where do I find a vendor? 

#25 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

salvia you got the environment, should be no problem to grow PS. Cyans

salvia I have started cultures from contaminated jars . I took a single grain and put it on cardboard and started from there. Those grew and I have harvested several years in a row from them. small but potent like lighting when fresh.

You don't find a vendor, your very lucky if you are selected to receive a culture. This is like getting into a Shaolin Temple - see Kung Fu TV series

There are several ways to send cultures, a sample growing on cardboard is a good way to share.

Starting from spores is slow , the ^^^ above cuts months off a grow or more.

namaste

• Arathu, mjroom and salviamycelium like this

#26 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

Some salvage images, Here I did dirty Golden oyster to enriched (WL-Tek) brown card.
Later I dumped enriched (WL-Tek) modified* pine pellets, with rich growth.

* Calcium carbonate saturated to increase pH.

IMG_20160120_012201.jpg IMG_20160120_012223.jpg
IMG_20160128_164330.jpg IMG_20160128_164508.jpg

Spores on WL-Tek with tea to reduce the pH.

IMG_20160928_205213.jpg IMG_20160928_205402.jpg

Spores on waste spent tea bags.

IMG_20170108_001921.jpg IMG_20170108_001929.jpg

Just adding data.

• Arathu, Heirloom Spores, mjroom and 1 other like this

#27 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Additional data: Increasing the pH with materials such as wood or tea, causes materials to breakdown into usable non inhibitory materials.

Here is some data I found using pine barks as a replacement to perlite, or in our case a possible replacement for vermiculite.

Not sure about cyan and azures, but oysters prefer pH 7-8, Mold finds it hard to germinate in this higher range.

• mjroom and salviamycelium like this

#28 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,436 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

Perhaps a venture or two into a woodloving edible species would be a good path to follow? Hands on introduction and skills building not to mention tool and material gathering ...... we need to get the 101 stuff out of the way methinks. Salvia needs to get some success going and gain confidence/build upon the primary skills of germination, expansion through the creation of spawn, and then into the fruiting substrate.................?????? Just a thought..........  :hug: 

I've seen woodlover mushrooms germinate on nothing more than sterilized sawdust, sterilized cardboard, agar, direct to grain, and etc. etc. I know it can be done. It is a matter of a sequence of learning the steps forward building on the previous. Obviously germination is the first desired goal............how to get there? Surely another point will be the time frames.....there is nothing fast about woodlover mushroom growing so the patience thing is multiplied at least 10X over pf tek cubes into most folks seems to follow.

By far this is one of the things that motivates my own work..........how to go straight to woodlover for folks in northern climates.

Without pf tek and experimentation (and many things called failures, which in fact are not failures, but lessons) agar work and beyond would have been difficult to accomplish. Agar in the small jelly jars and spores from prints works very well, most plates contaminate eventually but that is part of the point of using them, we isolate the target mycelium (which can be quite the task for someone just starting out until they know for themselves) and transfer/isolate/transfer in some cases many times until the desired results are obtained. 

Just my thinking out loud here...................

A     

• Heirloom Spores, mjroom, orangutan and 2 others like this

#29 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

I agree a was thinking a lot of that myself, woodloving, should be treated as so. Gourmet and medicinal research, teks, and data will be on par.

Some experimentation on the energy sources, given the correct nutrients, some edibles prefer certain energy sources to fruit.

Some are extremely lazy and only absorb solubles, both energy and nutrients, from sources such as plant roots.

I've noted some species of oyster produce penetrative rhizomorphs given ample nutrients.

#30 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,794 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

I've seen woodlover mushrooms germinate on nothing more than sterilized sawdust, sterilized cardboard, agar, direct to grain, and etc. etc. I know it can be done.

Like here:

post-147940-0-76696800-1453942734.jpg

Pioppinos (black poplars) on just sawdust with a little eggshells. If I can do it, anyone can! :biggrin:

• Heirloom Spores, salviamycelium and Ferather like this

#31 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

I am rescuing some black poplar spawn now, I was told they look like cubensis. Yummy!

• catattack likes this

#32 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,436 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

Nice! I know Salvia can do it too..................... :cool:

• Heirloom Spores, catattack, mjroom and 1 other like this

#33 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

Thanks. I'll try again. I'm very disappointed with my first attempts. I even isolated something that I thought was probably NOT mold; only for it to turn green the next day  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Problem is clearly with my place. I'm a "dirty" person. I mean no I'm not dirty, just a bit "loose". That sounds so much better :blush: Unfortunately. I have rotting fruit... bread... whatever. I sometimes wonder how I'm even alive. I have quite the immune system btw.  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

I knew it the moment I closed the lids on the agar dishes... I knew I also inoculated them with who knows what. I don't even dare to open them and clean them. I need new dishes. Those things I grew could kill me  :blush:

Edited by salviamycelium, 20 January 2017 - 01:37 PM.

• Arathu and Heirloom Spores like this

#34 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

Interestingly, some dishes have grown nothing. Also before the agar, weeks ago, I think two full weeks ago I started some guar gum in small jars -- not plates -- that I did because I was still waiting for my agar to arrive. Funnily enough, those grew no contams. (No spores either but that's another thing; could be an old print or something)

So about 50% have no contams. pity they have no germinated spores either. The other 50% have all kinds of scary stuff. even I as a beginner can tell they're scary things  :biggrin: They'll probably jump in my face if I open the lids.

#35 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

A roll of large clear 80 liter bin bags goes a long way for preventing spores, and endospores. For injecting or light work an elastic band at the opening will do.

Else go further with a large cardboard box inside the bag with hand holes at the bags opening, and again an elastic band to cover the holes.

The setup will allow you to put your hands in with some tension, the box version adds a skirt around the holes.

#36 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

You're psychic. I was thinking exactly this I swear. This weekend. Except my trash bags are black so I was about to do some shopping and find clear ones tomorrow.

Thanks!!!

A roll of large clear 80 liter bin bags goes a long way for preventing spores, and endospores. For injecting or light work an elastic band at the opening will do.

Else go further with a large cardboard box inside the bag with hand holes at the bags opening, and again an elastic band to cover the holes.

The setup will allow you to put your hands in with some tension, the box version adds a skirt around the holes.

• mjroom likes this

#37 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

Your welcome   :biggrin:

#38 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

Salvia all our air is filled with spores of all kinds . Do you best to remove any contam sources. Have you got a still air box?

Some mediums are less resistant to contams as others are more resistant.

For wood lovers I prefer not to use agar. Most woodlovers can be started from spore using a PF method  some I have use are modified and use grain flour , sawdust & chips and a vermiculite barrier for germ protection at the top of the little jar.

I got to say that if you can get a culture of a woodlover you can knock of several months of grow time.

I love many woodlovers beside the psychedelic ones , good food and medicine.

• salviamycelium likes this

#39 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

He's organizing a SAB (still air box) now, I think, it's the number one tool in my toolbox. I find pellets the cleanest method, any type: Straw, wood, paper or card.

I agree Hierloom, you should be taking advantage of its ability to breakdown materials most bacteria or yeast find difficult or impossible to digest.

Grains provide a good amount of nutrients, but mostly starch. Starch can be digested by most organisms as an energy source.

About 10-20% starch is sufficient as a quick energy source, which is used to digest more complex energy sources.

There are however more energy sources than just starch and plant fiber, there is also plant resins.

#40 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

Ferather thanks for your info on still air box . I just use a plastic box with hand holes. My first SAB was a cardboard box with
saran wrap taped on holes to see inside.

I now like to run a hepa filter in a small room , prepare like doing surgery and do my work. Sterile TEK.

I believe you can grow any woodlover you want. We all had problems along the way, we kept going on and I was blessed by the Universe to find people who encouraged and taught me, these people are here . 

Might I suggest a class on growing woodlovers? The class is the "Communal WoodLover thread" . I suggest you have a note book ready if you chose to read this informative thread, as there is more to learn than you can remember.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!