#41 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

A few pics of PSI  Cyans  on cardboard, I took today.

Maybe I will walk out to my beds and see if I can get a pic of colonized wood in the winter,
we just went through an ice storm. The ground looked like glass.

I am less active than most people , I mostly work on 1 project at a time.

namaste

Attached Thumbnails

• AAAMYC117 001.JPG
  • AAAMYC117 002.JPG
  • AAAMYC117 007.JPG

• salviamycelium likes this

#42 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

I was much the same after using the card SAB, you tend to want to upgrade. It's a good starter though.

The ultimate winner was a flowbox, that blew downwards, high burst or varied flow.

Pretty much a SAB with a flowhood combined to be honest.

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#43 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:51 AM

OK here are my pictures for your viewing pleasure. Like I said I won't open the lids to clean up these because I think they will just jump into my face, esp. the anthrax.

I think this is some weird mold. But why so flat, and why not green even at that huge size?
gallery_152348_3_640.jpg

This I call anthrax. Bacterial contam yes?
gallery_152348_3_139438.jpg

Anthrax?
gallery_152348_3_101281.jpg

Bacillus anthracis var. amorphosa
gallery_152348_3_226545.jpg

Mold! Hello! As proud as you are, you're not welcome!
gallery_152348_3_22017.jpg

This? What's this? Why so white? I think it's gonna be mold. But why so white?
gallery_152348_3_23544.jpg

This? What's this? Why so white? I think it's gonna be mold. But why so white? (Same as the other pic)
gallery_152348_3_166363.jpg

• mjroom likes this

#44 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,793 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

Looks like a lot of mold/s but not necessarily? Inky cap myc looks like that methinks, still not desirable but I don't know.

What I do know is one can construct an SAB out of a sterlite bin for about  $16-20 (US) that works like a dream. It does take time to build the muscle memory to work inside of one, but then it's smooth sailing. I haven't had an airborne contaminated agar dish in over a year whereas I used to get yeasts and bacterial contaminations in each use when I first started.

https://mycotopia.ne...oxes-flowhoods/

• Arathu and Heirloom Spores like this

#45 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

I do have some doubts about the last two pix (which is the same dish). For a couple reasons. (1) too white to be ugly mold- -- the rest was off-white, and (2) too fluffy instead of "powdery", and (3) because at this size the obvious molds have already turned green.

It was meant to be azurescens. Dry spores on agar. Spores were quite clumped. Can it possibly be azurescens and not mold, starting out like that? Like I posted in the other thread -- I have no idea how it looks like when very young.

Edited by salviamycelium, 21 January 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#46 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,793 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:24 AM

I do have some doubts about the last two pix (which is the same dish). For a couple reasons. (1) too white to be ugly mold- -- the rest was off-white, and (2) too fluffy instead of "powdery", and (3) because at this size the obvious molds have already turned green.

Powdery usually means bread mold/trichoderma IME.

http://archives.myco...html?1107361845

#47 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

The last two pix are not powdery. At least not like the rest of the mold pix I posted. 

#48 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

They're like baby husky fur.

• Arathu likes this

#49 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,793 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

None of them look promising but I don't have a ton of woodlover on agar experience. If you're growing what you call "anthrax" on agar, why are you adverse to growing cubensis in say a shoe box? Or better yet, pans.

#50 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

None of them look promising but I don't have a ton of woodlover on agar experience. If you're growing what you call "anthrax" on agar, why are you adverse to growing cubensis in say a shoe box? Or better yet, pans.

Several reasons. (1) Potency. I generally use libs. Cubes are much, much weaker in potency so I'd need much more of them. Since I like 4-5 grams of libs, I'd need like 12-15 grams of cubes. That'd make me puke. (2) Cubes don't keep well dried. (3) I don't want to grow anything indoors in the long run. I want to shove them outside as soon as I can. Anthrax was just a joke. But it's slimy so I'm assuming something bacterial.

#51 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

I also want to naturalize them here.

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#52 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

To understand, it started out like this. I didn't want to grow really anything. I'm fine with the libs that I can pick pretty much everywhere here. And Nordic libs are potent. Only azures are said to be nearly or about as potent as Nordic libs. 

But someone talked me into maybe growing some azures. I read up on it and I figured I'd like to try. 

#53 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,793 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

Several reasons. (1) Potency. I generally use libs. Cubes are much, much weaker in potency so I'd need much more of them. Since I like 4-5 grams of libs, I'd need like 12-15 grams of cubes. That'd make me puke. (2) Cubes don't keep well dried. (3) I don't want to grow anything indoors in the long run. I want to shove them outside as soon as I can. Anthrax was just a joke. But it's slimy so I'm assuming something bacterial.

I ate 2g of pans on my birthday and tripped for 8+ hours with visuals that were so intense I could barely walk because I couldn't see "reality".

Storing any dried mushrooms is easy for long term IMO/E, remove all moisture, remove o2,  keep out of UV light and they'll last indefinitely.

At any rate, growing any species requires sound clean work, practice, and patience, even more so with woodlovers IMO. I know several people who have extensive cultivation skills who still have problems with woodlovers. Personally I can fall ass backwards into growing historically stubborn species (pioppinos, cordyceps militaris, etc) but this is what I do, it still took patience and the honing of clean work skills.

• Arathu likes this

#54 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,793 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

To understand, it started out like this. I didn't want to grow really anything. I'm fine with the libs that I can pick pretty much everywhere here. And Nordic libs are potent. Only azures are said to be nearly or about as potent as Nordic libs. 

But someone talked me into maybe growing some azures. I read up on it and I figured I'd like to try. 

Too bad there's no LSD tree. :biggrin:

#55 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

What I meant by "not keeping well" is the psilocin/psilocybin content. More of it breaks down already by the time you dry it so I'd need even more of them to have the equivalent of a 5g lib trip. By the way I don't ever attempt to walk on libs; I lie in bed, on my back, and I'm pretty much in outer space every time. However no matter how much I take, it never lasts longer than 4, or at most 5 hours. Six hours later I can go to sleep... My metabolism...

I'd still try the wood lovers. I'm a passionate person. The more I kept reading and the more pictures I saw the more I went from "why in the world would I grow anything" to falling in  :wub:  with the WLs. So now I want to grow them. 

Edited by salviamycelium, 21 January 2017 - 09:55 AM.

• Arathu and catattack like this

#56 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,436 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

There are definitely "things" that look like mycelium there....I see hyphae in many of them..........the key is of course to isolate (as in which one do I grab for transfer) Now we're into the "meat and potatoes" of this work............... This is definitely the reason I use the same streaking pattern all the time on agar. At least until transferring small (as in very small) wedges of the substrate to additional plates.............. 

• Myc likes this

#57 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Are you saying the anthrax clump won't jump at me, tap my mouth and kill me if I open the lid?

#58 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,436 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Are you saying the anthrax clump won't jump at me, tap my mouth and kill me if I open the lid?

No....I'm not saying that....... :cool:  .........I don't know what those are yet and would treat them as such..........when "things" grow outside of my streaking patterns I am quite careful with them.

• catattack likes this

#59 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 217 posts

Donator

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

those very white clumps you posted at the end could be something!  Transfer to a clean plate and see what happens.  The first pics you posted definitely look like impostors.

Here are some plates of azurescens mycelium I grew earlier this year

Screen Shot 2016 08 13 At 12.28.32 PM
Screen Shot 2016 08 13 At 12.28.13 PM
Screen Shot 2016 08 13 At 12.28.48 PM

Edited by orangutan, 21 January 2017 - 12:19 PM.

• catattack and salviamycelium like this

#60 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

My clear plastic SAB works great but a flow hood would be easier.

• Arathu and catattack like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!