138 replies to this topic

#81 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 770 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

the tooth picks make it super easy to "pick up" mycelium from a specific spot on the growth. I would imagine you could poke a toothpick into a healthy rhysomorphic growth and remove it and then insert it into a new agar dish and the toothpick will inoculate the new dish with the growth that you wanted.   

Let the mycelium grow onto the toothpick and you can remove it and store it for use at a later date. A good idea worth knowing. mjroom.

• Heirloom , salviamycelium and Ferather like this

#82 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

I'm so unlikely to have anything this year except cyans. But not the other 4. 

Because I'll get a piece of myc.

#83 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

I particularly wanted ovoids. So, so, so unlikely.  :angry:

• Arathu likes this

#84 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

salvia..........cyans in the northlands will add a new meaning to Northern Lights.............not that your Libs don't of course............... :biggrin:

mj I was thinking whole boxes of toothpicks in the exact same manner... even plant stems.......mini plug spawn and now I'm wondering about paper towel rolls filled with enriched hydrated wood pellets or sawdust with colonized tooth pick plugs sticking into it...making a log of sorts............... cool stuff!

• Heirloom and salviamycelium like this

#85 Ferather

Ferather

Cellulose Lover

• Free Member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

Sounds like it should work, experiment away, my data and teks are free.

#86 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

salvia..........cyans in the northlands will add a new meaning to Northern Lights.............not that your Libs don't of course............... :biggrin:

mj I was thinking whole boxes of toothpicks in the exact same manner... even plant stems.......mini plug spawn and now I'm wondering about paper towel rolls filled with enriched hydrated wood pellets or sawdust with colonized tooth pick plugs sticking into it...making a log of sorts............... cool stuff!

try and send me some.  :wub:

#87 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

OK, I'm inspired. I must try something, right now.

• Arathu likes this

#88 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

I did some absolute ghetto tek. Cooked shredded cardboard in the leftover wood tea. Added some vermiculite just so that the pieces of paper don't clump too much. Put the thing in seven small plastic bags.

Inoculated:

1 with rehydrated spores (probably contaminated by now -- been standing in my kitchen in cognac glasses, covered with tinfoil)

1 with what I think is azurescens mycelium but could be contam, shaken up in some water

5 with dry spores, scraped into the bags.

Didn't add extra sugar. Plenty of lignin. Sugar is overrated anyway. Only variety I didn't do is serbica because I have only a (partly used up) small print for me and the other one I promised to give away. So before I do this with serbica I must see that there is a reasonable chance for it to work. So it's azures, cyans, subs, and ovoids. Tied them all and put them in a small box.

Thinking behind is that they love wood so they should germinate. I don't think contams love this substrate all that much. I'm thinking of leaving them at room temp for a day or two, then into the wine fridge. I think they should grow in there just fine but not the contams.

Edited by salviamycelium, 22 January 2017 - 12:42 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#89 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

Time will tell...............it will be interesting to see what grows.... now that's the spirit. Don't get discouraged get creative! :thumbs_up2:

• mjroom and salviamycelium like this

#90 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

I'd think that common molds are less likely to grow on wet cardboard. Same for bacteria. But this is just a gut feeling. 

• Arathu and mjroom like this

#91 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

It's way more than a gut feeling and it's the reason I've looked very closely at this subject in particular. Dried grass/woody plant stems re-hydrated work well as spawn afterwards. Hyphaenation got me interested in exploring the standing weeds out in the field. Things like Burdock, Golden Rod, Pokeberry, Blackberry and other canes, and many field grasses, even Bundle-flower which is known to contain DMT.................... :biggrin:    

#92 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

I'm just a baby woodlover myc (germinated just a few weeks ago) and as such, I have no experience with things. I may read some pieces of info here or there but generally speaking whatever I do might be really dumb. Nobody should listen. So for me I do stuff about which I have a decent gut feeling since I lack the knowledge.

You on the other hand, ... you have knowledge and experience. Are you saying this might actually worky?

#93 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

Yes it might actually work.........how does it happen in nature? "Gut" feeling and emotion with visuals IS the language of Mother Nature and her children............never discount the feeling of things.

In the mean time stay with learning and working agar as well. With persistence you WILL find a way that work for you...........

small_GEDC9426.jpg

Nothing but wet sawdust (field capacity) and dry spores scraped into the jar open air did this.....

Edited by Arathu, 22 January 2017 - 01:02 PM.

• Heirloom , mjroom and salviamycelium like this

#94 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 770 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

I'm so unlikely to have anything this year except cyans. But not the other 4. 

Because I'll get a piece of myc.

If you do get P. Cyanescens to fruit for you in the first year you can be very delighted and I think that they will impress you so very much and you will not be worried that the others will not show up for a while longer. mjroom.

• Heirloom and salviamycelium like this

#95 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:27 AM

gallery_152348_3_1484293.jpg

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

• Heirloom likes this

#96 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:44 AM

This thing never worked (at least not until now): there's nothing in the bags for what I can tell. 

I did some absolute ghetto tek. Cooked shredded cardboard in the leftover wood tea. Added some vermiculite just so that the pieces of paper don't clump too much. Put the thing in seven small plastic bags.

Thinking behind is that they love wood so they should germinate. I don't think contams love this substrate all that much. I'm thinking of leaving them at room temp for a day or two, then into the wine fridge. I think they should grow in there just fine but not the contams.

#97 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

But that thing above certainly did............... we should start a failed attempt thread to show people what NOT to do. I tried the bag thing even with good mycelium and stem butts and suffocated them. But with the right moisture and a bit of fresh air exchange................like you have there..........BOOM!

You're doing well and while the woodlovers may take much longer to get fruiting with just a little maintenance they will do so for years........and they are powerful medicine......but from what I hear your Libs are too.

Even more woody vibes coming at you and that lovely rhizomorphic mycelium........ :meditate:

Great job Salvia!

A

• salviamycelium likes this

#98 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

gallery_152348_3_495625.jpg

• Arathu and panaho like this

#99 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

The thing above is, I truly hope but can't be sure, Ps. cyanescens germinating on paper discs and now fed with cooked birch twigs and a piece of cardboard underneath. I have allenii and ovoid paper discs too. Just uploaded it for the record. All three have been fed today. Now the waiting game to see what they are and whether they jump on those twigs. 12 days old, from dry spores.

Edited by salviamycelium, 25 March 2017 - 05:44 PM.

• Arathu, Heirloom and Ferather like this

#100 Ferather

Ferather

Cellulose Lover

• Free Member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

12 days, not so bad. Nice!

• salviamycelium likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!