• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 olliethecat

olliethecat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

ok so I posted almost a week ago about my cakes. I started pinning and fruiting right away after the post so all good. I let two golden cakes fruits open and now I'm worried maybe I caused some type of contamination?? Is it ok to let the caps open. Everything in the FC looks good maybe I'm just being paranoid but I've been reading that letting the caps open is bad. The big shroom in the pic is a b+ and I'm wondering if I should pick it before opening. Thanks :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3739.JPG
  • IMG_3730.JPG
  • IMG_3731.JPG

• MLBjammer likes this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

There's nothing wrong or detrimental in letting caps open. The only problem is if one waits too long the spore drop will get real messy, but the main spore drop happens approximately 12-24hrs after the veil breaks IME. 

• MLBjammer and sillyrabbitcubiesR4us like this

#3 sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Pastyoureyes made this little diagram to show when they're ready. But like Cat said, there's no harm in letting them open. Some prefer open caps, some like them just as the veil breaks, just before. I prefer to let mine stretch out a little because I like watching them grow. Every now and then you'll see someone with a flush that's been open for 3+ days while they're waiting on the rest of the flush to fruit, and it's WILD how dark the spores make everything, but still usually no contamination. The spores are sterile unless you've touched them, so they don't pose a threat all too often.

med_gallery_150062_1521_757868.jpg

Edited by sillyrabbitcubiesR4us, 31 December 2016 - 12:34 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

spores will make a mess and I prefer to catch and save them, rather than just clean up and toss them. you can cut off an individual shroom cap and print it on foil. theres lots of topics on this site regarding printing, and its certainly something you'll want to get good at.

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and HerbEssence like this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

If you're not intending to make spore prints, try to minimize the spore load since it only contributes to body load (nausea). They're not going to get any more potent or weigh any more (when dried) once the veil starts to tear so there's no advantage to letting the caps open and spores drop, and in fact doing so only lowers the overall quality of the fruits (while increasing the body-load since spores are made of indigestible chitin and in any case contain no psilocybin).

In the picture that sillrabbitcubiesR4us posted above, my preferred time to harvest is when they look like the one described as "Still growing (leave it alone)." Letting it go longer will not increase the dry weight (I've done a lot of comparisons) or the potency and only delays the emergence of the next flush, plus it's often only a matter of hours between that stage and an open cap with spores starting to drop, so if you left it at that stage and went to work or whatever it could be a purple mess by the time you get home.

• MLBjammer and HerbEssence like this

#6 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

Let the caps get as flat as they will. Biomass will increase. Flat caps make good spore prints. It seems to me the life cycle is not done unless spores drop or are able to.

This is true, if you are growing for potency alone it happens before energy sent to procreate, i.e. spores.

#7 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:52 PM

Like everyone has said it's not a problem... just can get pretty messy lol look at this grow I did where I accidentally left the mushrooms growing for too long after the viels started tearing....

https://mycotopia.ne...t/?fromsearch=1

They were great mushrooms tho!! Lol
  • MLBjammer likes this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

Let the caps get as flat as they will. Biomass will increase. Flat caps make good spore prints. It seems to me the life cycle is not done unless spores drop or are able to.

From the point at which the veil begins to tear, the biomass will not actually increase further by any relevant amount. They'll weigh a little more at harvest if allowed to open all the way up, but it's water that will be lost upon drying.

And completing their life cycle (letting them sporulate) is only desirable if you're making prints, much like producing cannabis seeds is only desirable if you're breeding a new strain. Sure, you can still eat them and trip (or smoke seedy bud and get high), but sporeless/seedless is arguably preferable, especially if one is prone to nausea when consuming fungi.

• MLBjammer likes this

#9 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

I remember reading somewhere that spores can inhibit the growth of myc if they land on it.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#10 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 793 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

In the reference book on mushroom cultivation "The Mushroom Cultivator" co author Paul Stamets says with respect to spores being allowed to drop on page 155  "One particular problem is the massive release of spores from the mature mushrooms. these spores often times cover the casing layer and can inhibit further pinhead development. High spore loads can also cause allergic reactions amongst workers. For these reasons we should pick the mushrooms at the stage when the veil begins to tear or soon thereafter." From a potency point of view and from a body load point of view harvest is going to be best performed before the mushroom devotes its energy into producing spores. mjroom.

• MLBjammer, sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and orangutan like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!