Hey party peeps! So here something else that some of you may find helpful, especially if you work with PE in monotubs. NONE of this is my work or my pictures, but I've gotten permission to post this here and most of the permissions for the pics from the people that did the method and posted results... some just have been MIA so I haven't gotten a hold of them, but they'll get their pic credited and if they want it removed later, I'll have a mod do so, no problemo.
So.... I'm basically going to copy and paste word for except to remove some offsite links to preparation of Azur's bulk mix etc., but the gist of the method will be here. I can act as sort of a caretaker of this thread... if you have any questions about this method, I'll hunt down my best answer.. just might take a hot second to do so, so bear with me.
On with the show! (Sorry the repost isn't exact, Azur--I don't know how to center shit lol)
And again if you guys are like, "we already do this" I apologize ahead of time.
Ok... it's Faht again lol.. that's the end of Azur's part of the original post... I'm running out of mb space with pics so I'll add his part tomorrow. For now I'll add some people's results using this. This method cuts PE pinning times down by about a week... which is pretty exciting for anyone that grows them. And people have had great results with this using regular cubes as well.
By Azur and Eatyualive
CASING AT SPAWNING:
Medium polyfil during
colonization, pinning, fruiting
Polyfil In During Colonization:
For all you naysays about colonizing without taping holes. Mushrooms fruit when they're damn well ready. In a controlled environment, we have some options. But in a monotub, it's up to the mushrooms.
I used to grow GT and I'd put poly in as soon as I spawned. Leave town for a few weeks and come home and harvest. I only started covering holes during colonization because I was growing pe and using a casing layer.
So I thought I'd experiment a little and see if the constant fresh air has any impact on blobbing or pinning times.
Stick around for the ride.
Here are some useful Write ups of how I get down on Dung and Straw. Your method may be different but the idea is casing during spawning while colonizing your substrate with medium polyfil. No tape is used to colonize any of the tubs in this write up.
How Azur gets down on HPOO/link removed
How Azur gets down on straw/link removed
Azur's Bulk substrate recipe:
Spawn Ratio: 1:1
5.5 Quart Jars Spawn
5.5 Quarts Hpoo/Verm(50% ratio of each)
Azur's Casing Recipe per tub:
1 Quart Coarse Verm
1 Quart Coir
1. Pasteurize your bulk substrate.
2. Prepare your spawn and bulk substrates for spawning.
3. Once your substrate is cooled. It is time to spawn. Setup your tubs, spawn, bulk substrate on a large table for spawning. Turn off the ac 30 minutes prior to doing this work. Take a shower and wear a face mask.
4. I don't use liners, but if you do use a liner. Add a liner to the tub. Then dump your substrate into the tub.
5. Take your colonized spawn and dump that onto the substrate.
6. Break up all of your spawn very evenly.
7. Mix in your spawn with your substrate. Make the surface as even as possible.
8. Apply your 1/4" casing. Then place medium stuffed polyfil in all of your holes.
9. 7-14 days later
Look at this. You will see several examples below of tubs colonized with medium stuffed polyfil in all holes during colonization.
* Two Ape Tubs below. One with polyfil immediately at spawning. The other with tape at spawning
* PE tub built 10/03
* Oats and hpoo/verm/gyp. Cased with jiffy and poly in holes at spawning
* Hey. So i looked at that tub and another tub a few minutes ago. Here's what i found
*First Pic is a pe tub not cased and holes covered. It will be cased on Thursday and will be put to poly on probably Monday.
*Second pic is the pe tub from the post above that was cased and put to poly at spawning time. Notice how colonized the casing layer is. My guess/hope is that this tub will fruit a good week before the other. This is exciting
* Second pic is the tub that was spawned, cased, and polied at the same time.
* First pic is the other tub just cased.
* It's an area starting to metabolize.
* All my tubs do that with hpoo.
* Here are 3 tubs that are currently pinning that show a good example of it.
* Well not only with hpoo. Just that it happens with hpoo when there's not necessarily any problems.
* link removed
* 9th paragraph
* Colonized poo trays sometimes emit a little honey yellow, to as dark as Tobacco juice colored metabolite type waste on the top of the tray. So long as it colonized nicely & the metabolite waste doesn't turn into a gusher. It's good to go. Been there & done that a few times, especially with big bulk trays that had a strong cow/poo mixture in them. The stuff is commonly called MYC PISS. If it's fully colonized, add a casing cover & go for it. METABOLITES
* Tub 1 was closed holes at spawning and cased a few days ago. Put poly in today.
* Tub 2 was tub spawned, cased, and polied at the same time.
* Annddd..we have lift off. One little pin on the tub that was spawned, cased, and polied at the same time
* The tub that was spawned and holes covered, then cased and then polied has not pinned yet
I'll keep ya posted
* Traditional tub has no pins. Looks to be slightly knotting up.
* Experimental tub is doing well.
*4 out of 5 tubs have a few tiny pins. Day 7, like clockwork
* Cased and polied the ape tubs i built a few days ago this morning. Wanted to case at spawning, but didn't have any casing. They were 90ish percent colonized.
* Tub 1 all straw with casing
* Tub 2 50/straw 50/hpoo&verm
* Tubs 3, 4, & 5 hpoo/verm 50/50
* All spawned 8 days ago and polied at spawning
* Fuck. I just picked 2 tubs and suddenly realized i was documenting this.
* Tub 1 all straw with casing layer
* Tub 2 half straw half hpoo/verm no casing
* Tub 3 hpoo/verm no casing
* 4 day old pe tubs.
If you can please not post any responses yet until I get Eatyualive's section posted after this post, I'd appreciate it... it'll make it look much smoother. Thanks! Now here's some results...
Pics and words by Pastywhyte
Alright azur the results for my first clone run with this are in. The rest of flush 1 was just harvested and came in at 1299 making for a total wet weight of 3203. A bit low but nothing terrible considering this was just 5 quarts spawn. Should do better when I roll with 6 or 7 quarts spawn and sterilize the coir or even toss in some poo and other goodies. The pics of both harvests for this tub are. . .
I think that with a few tweaks I should get a more even pinset next time and my usual yield with this clone. I will post those results next time I run it. My other tub with the really early pin is also coming in really uneven, yet looks to be a great yield in the making.
At any rate this practice has lots of merit IMO. Thank you
Nice pasty. Yea. Not bad for 5 quarts.
The question though, is, how much time did you shave off?
At least a week
At any rate azur I wanted to post what became of that first tub I tried this on. You may recall that I felt my first flush yield was a touch low given the 5 quarts spawn I used. Well final dry weight came in at 10.5 oz, which was a bit low but only by a bit. Average for me with that clone and 5 quarts is around 11.5-12. So not bad given the speed of the method.
Anyway I decided to go for a second flush with this guy, usually this clone is a one and done deal. Most of the time I am lucky to see 3 mushrooms second flush with it. But I let it go to see if I could make up the shortfall. It did not disappoint.
Now that might look shit to some of you but for this clone I assure you its a miracle. Made up all the shortfall and then some. I was pretty shocked. Might even dunk it and see if a third is possible. I should be able to spare the space.
So IMO this is pretty solid. Great for the one and done guy as any shortfall in yield is more than made up for by speed. A week off pin time for this clone is kick ass and could represent a significant production boost. For those who ain't about that one flush and like to keep their tubs kicking around, its safe to say that there is only gain with it for them too. They benefit from a fast initial pinset and get that same yield over two flushes in less time. Killer.
I have a third tub I spawned but neglected to case at spawning. Its almost done 3 days later and I will case and slightly consolidate for the remainder of the week. Should be insightful
These tubs were spawned a few days after i got home from the romp...so probably around the 17th or 18th. They were a little slower as the temps have been cooler.
My casing is completely colonized little good wolf by the time they pin.
Ok... I think that's good for today lol. Again, please wait to respond til after I've added Eatyualive's portion and I have more result pics to post as well. Lots of awesome eye candy. Eatyualive alone has a shit ton of great pics in his section. Pastywhyte also has some nice results with PE as well that are yet to come.
I'd like to thank Azur and Eatyualive and Pastywhyte and all the others that let me do this.. y'all rule! :)
Edited by fahtster, 01 January 2017 - 11:58 PM.