©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The "Likes" System / Reputation

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Likes / Reputation

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Should we enable full community reputation? (Likes/Dislikes)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

Alright, based on these posts now I want a "dislike" button. :biggrin:

• whirledpeas likes this

#42 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

@catattack needs an award for the most profile pic changes...in a day
  • CatsAndBats and whirledpeas like this

#43 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'm shooting for the "large balls" balls.png award.

My new profile pic 'thing' will be to steal prominent members/mods avis and bastardize them and use those.. I need photoshop back though. @zen will be first. It's not stealing, it's "sampling".  :biggrin: 

• PsyBearknot likes this

#44 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

I'm shooting for the "large balls" attachicon.gifballs.png award.

My new profile pic 'thing' will be to steal prominent members/mods avis and bastardize them and use those.. I need photoshop back though. @zen will be first. It's not stealing, it's "sampling".  :biggrin:

A sample is only a sample if you use a part of it. If you use the whole thing it is stealing! But take 2!or 3 of them and put it together in one then you have anmash up!

What was this thread about again ?
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#45 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

DISLIKE! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Selling out is the new "keeping it real". (DJ sampling banter)

• PsyBearknot and AbnormalMortaL like this

#46 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,872 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

New subject here:

How Do You Punish Your Bad Cat?

• CatsAndBats likes this

#47 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

New subject here:

How Do You Punish Your Bad Cat?

cat-shaming-funny-cats.jpg

I prefer "cat shaming"

• treign and whirledpeas like this

#48 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,872 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

Bad move, cat.  That was St. Francis of Akitti.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#49 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Bad move, cat.  That was St. Francis of Akitti.

You're PUNtastic!

We could use a 'pun' award methinks..

Edited by catattack, 17 January 2017 - 02:25 PM.

#50 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

The like system allows us to say we like this , saying this was useful and giving external validation to the poster.

If I don't like a post I can provide information opposing the post in a civil way proving my point.

Take away the likes and a person receives no external validation. I would bet this would slow down the spread of info, as likes are a reward system often used in behavior modification.

Everyone wants external validation despite what they say.

To add a unlike function will have effects on the whole website. A person receiving negative input is likely to feel disconnected from the community and unlikes could result in people having problems with others due to a feeling of rejection. Dividing us and causing trolling and people leaving.

If I really don't like what I read in a post I ignore it and move on. I suppose that is a form of shunning and a very powerful statement in its own right.

Some time we don't like what a person posts and we as a community try to help this person without condemnation and judgment.

I had a better post but lost it as I started to write , I speak better than I write and I type so slow that I often lose my best thoughts on any subject.

• Skywatcher, Alder Logs, Juthro and 2 others like this

#51 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

The like system allows us to say we like this , saying this was useful and giving external validation to the poster.

If I don't like a post I can provide information opposing the post in a civil way proving my point.

Take away the likes and a person receives no external validation. I would bet this would slow down the spread of info, as likes are a reward system often used in behavior modification.

Everyone wants external validation despite what they say.

To add a unlike function will have effects on the whole website. A person receiving negative input is likely to feel disconnected from the community and unlikes could result in people having problems with others due to a feeling of rejection. Dividing us and causing trolling and people leaving.

If I really don't like what I read in a post I ignore it and move on. I suppose that is a form of shunning and a very powerful statement in its own right.

Some time we don't like what a person posts and we as a community try to help this person without condemnation and judgment.

I had a better post but lost it as I started to write , I speak better than I write and I type so slow that I often lose my best thoughts on any subject.

What are you talking about? I thought this was a thread about cats and puns, oh wait.. :tongue:

#52 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

I need a cat my last cat was more like a cougar only lived 20 years . She was a domamatrix to the dogs.
 I was just telling my wife I want a cat. My sister has provided people with great cats.

I am extremely interested in the domestication of cats and know that cats were very useful to people in ancient times.
So useful that they helped people to survive.

#53 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

I need a cat my last cat was more like a cougar only lived 20 years . She was a domamatrix to the dogs.
 I was just telling my wife I want a cat. My sister has provided people with great cats.

I am extremely interested in the domestication of cats and know that cats were very useful to people in ancient times.
So useful that they helped people to survive.

Poke around, you never know what you'll find:

https://mycotopia.ne...nature-article/

• Heirloom and whirledpeas like this

#54 whirledpeas

whirledpeas

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:36 PM

I like the heart idea :) <3

#55 MycoBabe

MycoBabe

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:16 AM

post-62591-0-41798200-1483411233.png

I've been asked about this many times, more so recently, both in public, chat, and in private. I figure it's best to have this discussion openly with our membership and to collectively decide how we, as a community, wish this to operate.

There are pro's and con's as there always are, but if we make the decision together not only will we all know how it works, but it will foster more connectedness when reputation is given - for better or worse. Coincidentally, it'll help all of us educate the incoming new members.

Current

The current reputation system is in "Likes" only mode, wherein likes are treated as positive reputation. Every member group has a limited number of likes for every 24-hour period. These limitations were put into place so that giving someone positive reputation means a lot as they are in limited supply. Each rep you give has more value, and reputation, therefore, should be taken as such. It's akin to a digital currency. The following groups have the specified amount of positive rep available:

• Free Members - 15
  • All VIP Members - 20
  • Moderators - 40
  • App Admins - 50
  • Site Admins - 100

These numbers were chosen arbitrarily as simply limiting and evaluating. The issue is that people treat likes as they do on many other social media platforms, and not as a reputation or that they are limited in any way. This causes folks to be less careful and just like things to give the hat tip to the author. All this means they run out of likes until the following day.

Possible

There exists another mode that allows us to provide both positive and negative reputation. If something is good, rep it, if it's not good, don't rep it -- however, if it's truly a horrible post/article/blog, or lacks credibility, is spam, etc then down-vote it. While I did set the system up for this it's not something that we have chosen to turn on. The settings are as follows: (positive/negative)

• Free Members - 15/5
  • All VIP Members - 20/10
  • Moderators - 40/20
  • App Admins - 50/25
  • Site Admins - 100/100

Now for the thoughts behind setting the system up the way it is. The "Likes Only" setting was chosen because we, as a community, were a little rough around the edges. Then after Hippie3 passed we suffered through a mini-dark age with lots of rampant negativity. That is not a place from which I would choose to promote any further negativity with a "dis-like" system, even if limited.

In the last 16 or so years lots of growing has occurred. I feel like the vibe has really mellowed out in the last couple of years and we've had a lot of positive feedback for the changes that have been made, including how we are organized and how we keep the ship righted. As we approach a new golden age I have no doubts that this place will be a vibrant beacon in the dark. That Mycotopia will thrive like it never has before as it comes into its own time, it's prime era, when people need her the most.

For these reasons I'm open to discussion on which system we choose to implement. In the spirit of positivity, I'm ok with keeping it a "likes only" system, but if ya'll think we're mature enough as a community to responsibly handle - and properly define - the negative reputation, then I'm ok turning it on. We can also simply re-configure the number of reps you're allowed to give.

My vote either way is that we still choose to limit both positive and negative reputation in order to give it more meaning, and hopefully persuade more thought when giving it.

The last part of this involves an opinion on what "positive" and "negative" reputation means, and does, throughout the site. Currently there aren't many features turned on, as we are in positive rep only mode, but once we begin truly using this as reputation it can become a kind of social currency. High rep'd folks will become, by nature, more senior among the community. The opinions being valued slightly more than lower rep'd folks. It's not meant to create a hierarchy of social status, but a hierarchy of knowledge and communal rights of passage. To say that reputation means something to people, it should seem common sense, but it's not always so common.

The other distinction is that we're not rep'ing people for who they are, we're rep'ing content that person has produced. Your positive reputation speaks for your contributions of spirit to this community.

There are also options that you cannot give rep unless you've received it, and also a modification that just turns the reputation "number" into a "progress bar" like image denoting how much rep you have out of how much rep. I guess this makes it easier to spot and understand how much rep exists.

ALL GOOD POINTS! I'm anxious to here your thoughts on this system. 

Much Love

:meditate:

I vote to leave it as it is.... I am honestly not even a big fan of the Like feature anyway.. when  i was younger and just starting i was all about it.. It does boost moral.. however, it also leads to judgement.. I am actually a perfect example..lol... This was my first and original home when i began, but i am shy... and now i really honestly just don't feel safe posting my stuff anyway ..that's my issue tho..lol... However, I pop in and out, make a comment here n there over the years... I have no idea how many like i have, but prob not many..  and that's ok,  .. I did it back in my time, if you know what i mean... Unfortunately tho, I  assume that my advice and comments are probably listened to OR not bc I have a small number of likes ...  idk  I'm rambling , sorry.. I guess my point is, that it all starts turning into a popularity thing,, idk... maybe I am just too old..I know I am crazy.... But my only problem with mushrooms are them being too strong, or too big (yeah I know ,, those are really problems)   i am about to make another Hello post about myself I think... I'm pretty sure i come off crazy  haah   :weedpoke:   :hookah:   :thumbs_up:   :hug: Everyone should just spread the love.

Edited by coorsmikey, 28 January 2019 - 11:32 AM.
Please write outside the "quote box"

• Tenderfoot, Alder Logs, Microbe and 1 other like this

#56 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,872 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

Please write outside the "quote box"

Thanx, Mikey, I was going to suggest that.   She's getting her Newbie status reinstated.   That should teach her about going away for too long. 

Just letting you know, MycoBabe, the moderation team ain't gonna be any pushovers!    We're all tough guys.

#57 MycoBabe

MycoBabe

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:14 AM

Definitely. Some people are just negative themselves, and if they have 15 negs a day to throw out there they might take advantage of that option.

after the day I've had... I totally agree... I just want humans to be nicel

• Alder Logs and Microbe like this

#58 AbnormalMortaL

AbnormalMortaL

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

post-62591-0-41798200-1483411233.png

as we are in positive rep only mode, but once we begin truly using this as reputation it can become a kind of social currency.
:meditate:

So wait..you guys won't be my friends either if my credit score isn't good enough?? Thats fucked up..i vote no dislikes lol..

#59 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:45 AM

why yes, if you have bad credit then we cant go shopping!

(sarcasm for those who are not reading into it)

#60 enomoomi

enomoomi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

i voted to keep it as it is but change number of likes.. 15 / 24h for free member like me.. it is quite a lot. on the other hand.. it dose generate the positive vibe .. yes.. people liked my post..  .. just my point and counter point.

Dislike ... good idea.. for facebook etc spam utility an essential tool.. here where things are quite civil.. I would like ( this is a killer ) -reason for dislike. I would also like modes to skim through dislikes and review if they are valid. very very limited amount of dislikes. not /24h but / week or / month.

also.. this would require modes to start keeping eye on multi account people who generate free accounts and then hate throughout several accounts.

I had an argument on one other site..

I: isuess with bla bla.. pointers advice etc..

he: that is impossible.. no such thing etc..

I: it is actual fact here.. if it is not fact there.. dont dis respect me or my ask for advice..

he: not possible.. yada yada.. prove, show someting.

I:  I am not here to educate you or hand feed you .. I am asking for help and you are claiming this bogus because you have not heard of it.

he: I hear lots of hot air but no proof (googling part of this phrase might bring up the thread.. I am not linking it)

I : here.. i found up an eu document - i even translated to you with google translate.

he: (total silence.. no apologie, no acknowledgement no nothing)

with hate system there would have been hate pushed each way.

with multiple accounts a troll would have clear advantage in such situation.

this is why there has to be someone to look over the use of hate system.

this is why there has to be moderator cancel button to cancel all hate given to a account when issue is resolved.

as with likes.. there must be a reason WHY. this is not implemented .. so I vote against

hate votes give disruptive persons a powerful tool to break up communal spirit. I have seen forums where people with deep knowledge stepped away because of people pestering them with stupid arguments and demanding proof to what they shared as personal view on things.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!