7 replies to this topic

#1 HankoDelicious

HankoDelicious

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:39 AM

Good Day Mycotopiates

I am busy setting up a larger growhouse for my edibles (Shiitake, Oysters, King Oysters). 

I have up until now used a small warm-steam humidifier in my small grow room that about

2meters X 2meters

My new grow house is about 8meters X 6meters X 2meters high. 

I am currently looking into humidification options. 

The one that stands out most are these ULTRASONIC HUMIDIFIERS (pictured)

MISTMAKER.jpg

Has anybody used these or similar?

I want to know  if they work well for mushrooms, 

what is their capacity, will I perhaps need more than one to keep my humidity high enough

do these things last a good time, they are quite pricey for the size I want (so can't buy one just for experimentation) 

they are 300W so should use much less electricity compared to my current steam humidifier at 1200W

Any other ideas and inputs would be much appreciated. 

#2 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 840 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

Good Day Mycotopiates

I am busy setting up a larger growhouse for my edibles (Shiitake, Oysters, King Oysters). 

I have up until now used a small warm-steam humidifier in my small grow room that about
2meters X 2meters

attachicon.gifMISTMAKER.jpg

what is their capacity, will I perhaps need more than one to keep my humidity high enough
do these things last a good time, they are quite pricey for the size I want (so can't buy one just for experimentation) 
they are 300W so should use much less electricity compared to my current steam humidifier at 1200W

They work great as long as the disk that makes the mist is clean. Tap water can leave mineral deposits on the disk so wiping it down every so often helps. Check out your local thrift shops, ionic humidifiers are common items and can be inexpensive. Check the disk to make sure it's clean before you buy a used one.....
  • wharfrat likes this

#3 HankoDelicious

HankoDelicious

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for that, i have looked up what you said about the tap water deposits and looks like it has been a problem for other people. Seems replacement discs are quite cheap. 

#4 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

I had one and it crapped out pretty quick.  Maybe it was dirty.  Worked well until then.

#5 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

I had one and it crapped out pretty quick.  Maybe it was dirty.  Worked well until then.

if you have very hard water it may just be a calcium build up problem on the piezo bender which is the part that compresses the water and atomizes it. Pickling vinegar or available calcium dissolving product should get you back to as new performance so long as there are no other problems.

• OysterFarmer likes this

#6 Ed.

Ed.

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

Good Day Mycotopiates

2meters X 2meters

attachicon.gifMISTMAKER.jpg

300W for one on those ultrasonic humidifiers seems rather high, I can't remember what the 24V transformer input power rating was on my units but the secondary output voltage for the transducer was only 1400mA at 24V so it would be much for the primary. I used to run two of them in my greenhouse when I used to grow orchids and until March last year I used one in a 20m3 insulated room to grow Lions Mane. How many you would need would depend on what your grow house is made from and how much air exchange, what the ambient temperature  range  is both inside and outside makes a huge impact on the number required. My greenhouse used to be about 350m3 and I ran 2. So I would imagine that one would be ample for you. The colder the air is, the more effective they are. When I grew the Lions mane I had it switched on for about 7 minutes/hour.

You also need to set up a blower for it to blow the mist upwards and away from it  into the air, in the winter when entering the greenhouse it was like walking in a fog. Get a couple of spare disc as they are fairly cheap and usually go after a while and as others have said water hardness will take its toll on them. I just took a look at the pic of that you posted. That one has about 12 units in it by the looks maybe that is why it has such a high power rating. The ones I used had single transducers only so I would imagine that you would have to cycle that one as everything will be dripping wet.

Edited by Ed., 07 January 2017 - 04:49 AM.

#7 OysterFarmer

OysterFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

if you have very hard water it may just be a calcium build up problem on the piezo bender which is the part that compresses the water and atomizes it. Pickling vinegar or available calcium dissolving product should get you back to as new performance so long as there are no other problems.

Well I threw it in the trash so there's that.

#8 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

bigger rooms fare much better with misting systems IMO

you can get a 160 psi booster pump system online for $150 at most if you

look around, but a 250 psi mid pressure system would pay for itself quickly

with improved yield. 

just hook the pump up to a timer solenoid valve, and try to dial in your misting

cycle. it might take a few days to get it right and you may have to adjust it if 

the ambient humidity is higher than usual. 

https://www.uswaters...Xx_4RoCFDLw_wcB

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!