Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Hello mycofriends! (just an other Newbie)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 iosecreto

iosecreto

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I'm very excited to join this community. 
I just start  learning about mushrooms and reading books on growing indoor. I'm hoping to start my first  culture soon. I'm interested in the magic teachers as as well into the edible and medicinal mushrooms. 
I've been reading some of the post of this place, and I think you've a great team with a lot of knowledge. Thank you for accepting me.

:biggrin:

• Sidestreet, PsyBearknot, wharfrat and 6 others like this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,209 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

Welcome to Mycotopia!  Just a couple more posts and you'll be able to post anywhere in the forums.  What do you think your first culture will be?

#3 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,415 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

i hit the like button so you could find your way back here to post a couple more times and get your pass to the future!!!

#4 iosecreto

iosecreto

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

I friend of mine gave me a syringe with  spores of Psylocibe cubensis B+, and I'm gathering the basic stuff to start.

#5 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

Welcome. B+ is a good one to start with. That was my first, and it never did me wrong. Nowadays I always have it going in one phase, or another. It's a very forgiving strain to work with. Again. Welcome. Looking forward to seeing you around the threads. Start a grow log! 

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,623 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

welcome to topia :biggrin:

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,654 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

Howdys and welcomes thanks for joining and see ya round.

#8 HankoDelicious

HankoDelicious

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:53 AM

Hello and welcome :) 

#9 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,415 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

one syringe will noc up 5 to 10, 1/2 pint jars.1/4 ml x 4 holes per jar = 10, or 1/2 ml x 4 = 5 jars.

#10 iosecreto

iosecreto

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

Great! thanks for the information. Looks like I have a lot to do. I could't find whole rice flour, so I bought the rice and I'm making the flour. I just have two 1/2 pint masson jars, I'm planing to use a couple of polypropylene containers of the same size, I hope they endure pc.

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,654 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

I prefer to grind my own rice flour as I like it a little chunky.
PPE 5 containers do work but I have had good and not so good luck with them in the PC. OThers have had no problems. I'd stick to name brand and not dollar store knock off. Kids seem to be the issue for me.

#12 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 518 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

PPE 5 containers do work but I have had good and not so good luck with them in the PC. OThers have had no problems. I'd stick to name brand and not dollar store knock off. Kids seem to be the issue for me.

I have read that some people wrap plastic utensils and plastic myco bags in a hand towel when they PC, I think mostly to keep them from contacting the cooker walls. mjroom.

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and JustAnEyedea like this

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,654 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

I have used a layer of towels as a barrier between the pc side and plastics like that for cooks/chefs if you have an old silpat or silicone may laying around you can cut/line the walls with that

But then I think of all the troubles and 1/2 pint glass are 10 for $12

In a specific need or situation creative measures are needed to be taken. But if you don't HAVE the need to be creative just go with the tried and true till it's 2nd hand and then expiriment. More / easier success upnfront = less frustration and more journeying !

Edited by PsyBearknot, 05 January 2017 - 05:20 PM.

• mjroom likes this

#14 iosecreto

iosecreto

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

OMG! really 10 for $12. 
Here I have to pay $9.46 usd each at amazon,  considering the delivery and the import taxes. 
I'm  looking for some glass jars made locally that may be equivalent, otherwise I will end up using the PPE containers.
I feel more comfortable with glass, I think is cleaner. 
I was considering to use paper bags, and aluminum foil to put other stuff that I need sterile. 
Just to know, if the rice flour is chunky, the mycelium will have more air to grow? Is this better? 

Anyway, I have to grind it, so I think is easier if has bigger chunks. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

#15 sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

wanderess

• 518 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

Welcome :) Looks like you're finding your way around nicely :) Happy New Year!

ZyE3Mej.png

• JustAnEyedea likes this

#16 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Welcome :) Looks like you're finding your way around nicely :) Happy New Year!
ZyE3Mej.png

Sweet pic rabbit! You make that too?

And welcome.

Edited by JustAnEyedea, 06 January 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#17 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 518 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

I have read that some people wrap plastic utensils and plastic myco bags in a hand towel when they PC, I think mostly to keep them from contacting the cooker walls. mjroom.

I just read that others cover their grain jars inside of the pressure cooker so that when the cooker cools and the pressure drops it draws in from the outside to balance the pressure and any contaminants in the fresh air entering the PC will get caught by the wet towel and kept from getting into the jars which have loose lids. good idea.

Edited by mjroom, 06 January 2017 - 06:07 PM.

#18 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

Also that's a lot for jars! I pay 6 for 12 at the supermarket here in town. 8 for quarts. I want to get a gallon jar for a master grain jar. Gnomesayin?

#19 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,654 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

I have used salsa jars, pasta sauce jars and the like in a pinch as well.
I have never covered the top with a towel but do regurally cover the lids
With foil.
  • mjroom likes this

#20 iosecreto

iosecreto

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

Thank you very much, for the warm welcome!
I'm planing to make a journal and take pictures all the way, I hope you read it.
I'm just having a little doubt, I'have to leave town for  work in 7 weeks. If I do start now, I think is not enough time to complete the culture fruiting. 
How can I keep full colonized jars for 3 or 4 weeks?
Also, I don't want to inoculate the jars and leave, because I want to follow the growing. As a beginner I want to learn from every step.
So I may be better to start after my work absence. So I also want to know how long can the syringe be keeped before using?
Right now, I have it wraped in foil in the fridge.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!