#1 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

I have heard/read good things about Lactuca Virosa (wild lettuce or opium lettuce) for several ailments. In my case for the pain i live with on a daily bases. It is supposed to work better then the common NSAIDs like ibuprophen, which i take a ton daily. I am NOT going to live with this pain any longer, i am tired. Last year is up there as one of the worst years of my life, i dont want to repeat in 2017. Has anyone tried this herb/plant and did it help in any way for pain? I see it helps with depression also as with pain there is always underlying depression. This plant can be smoked or infused in a tea or i guess you can make tinctures with it. Here is a brief description for those unfamiliar..

Lactuca Virosa, also known commonly as Wild Lettuce or Opium Lettuce is an herb which has a long history of use by both the Ancient Egyptians as well as the Hopi tribe of North America. It is used commonly as a sleep aid, for stress reduction, to calm tense nerves or to help ease anxieties, though it was used more esoterically in ritual smoking by the Hopi. In modern time it is commonly drank in a tea or smoked in an herbal cigarette for one of the aforementioned qualities or for recreational value.

Wild lettuce is often referred to as Opium Lettuce. The reason being, the effects are said to be of a similar nature, however, this plant contains no opiate chemicals. Lactucin and Lactucopicrin are the active chemicals within this plant.

anyway, i ordered 2 ounces of it to give it a try.. cost was $7 - $28lb

Edited by wharfrat, 04 January 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• ethnobotanist420 and wildedibles like this

#2 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

Let me know how this works for you! I have been meaning to try this for a while now... it grows as a weed in my neck of the woods.

If it turns out you like it... come summer I could send you a metric shit ton free of charge lol
  • wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#3 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

I have some old seed I could have sent for you to test. If anybody else needs it...

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#4 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

Let's take a look at the active substances in wild lettuce and their pharmacological actions... it seems there are 2 major players involved here... both of which seem quite interesting.

Lactucopicrin And Lactucin

"Lactucopicrin (Intybin) is a bitter substance that has a sedative and analgesic effect,[1] acting on the central nervous system. It is a sesquiterpene lactone, and is a component of lactucarium, derived from the plant Lactuca virosa (wild lettuce), as well as being found in some related plants such as Cichorium intybus.[2] It is also found in dandelion coffee.

As well as their traditional use as sedatives and analgesics, these plants have also been used as antimalarials, and both lactucin and lactucopicrin have demonstrated antimalarial effects in vitro.[3] Lactucopicrin has also been shown to act as an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.[4]"

"Lactucin is a bitter substance that forms a white crystalline solid and belongs to the group of sesquiterpene lactones. It is found in some varieties of lettuce and is an ingredient of lactucarium. It has been shown to have analgesic and sedative properties.[1] It has also shown some antimalarial effects.[2] It is also found in dandelion coffee.

It acts as an adenosine receptor agonist.[3]"

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,982 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

I have experimented with wild lettuce. It does grow in the hills around here. I'm sorry to say it is not very strong, and IMO would not be very effective on the kind of severe chronic pain you struggle with wharf.

I wish I had a sure solution for you................................

:hug:

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

I have experimented with wild lettuce. It does grow in the hills around here. I'm sorry to say it is not very strong, and IMO would not be very effective on the kind of severe chronic pain you struggle with wharf.

I wish I had a sure solution for you................................

:hug:

Thanks bro.. i will push on, one day things will improve, i know it will :biggrin:

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:25 AM

I eat it in the summer and man oh man it is bitter ......It does help me a bit I just pick and eat it takes the pain from a 10/10 to a 7/10 for a half and hour to an hour ...sometimes something is better than nothing ;) ....I think I have a thread up on it somewhere I find gareden grown lettuce is a mild pain reliever too as long as you pick and eat it right away cause when it sits it will not milk anymore and I think that is where the goodies are
  • Hash_Man, ethnobotanist420 and wharfrat like this

#8 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

I have read that it's stronger when the latex is milked and smoked(vaporized) but I can't speak from personal experience... only from what I have read around the web.

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:58 AM

I have read that it's stronger when the latex is milked and smoked(vaporized) but I can't speak from personal experience... only from what I have read around the web.

and with wild lettuce on a good day it drips out if you take a leaf off ....I remember trying to collect it but do not remember smoking any sorry but thats prob a good idea to up the strenght
...I know licking it tastes just as bitter as the real thing
  • wharfrat likes this

#10 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,446 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Have you tried kratom for pain?

#11 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Have you tried kratom for pain?

yes, it worked for awhile but had to keep using more n more to help with the pain.

#12 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

It sounds like maybe a standardized extract would be better to explore for the wild lettuce

A lot of these herbs work much more efficitivly in standardized extract form then just munching down the vegetive matter.

Quick search and you can even find it at Walmart

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

It sounds like maybe a standardized extract would be better to explore for the wild lettuce
A lot of these herbs work much more efficitivly in standardized extract form then just munching down the vegetive matter.
Quick search and you can even find it at Walmart

Thats good that you can find the extract everywhere cause it grows wild all over you probably have a kind of lettuce growing in your lawn :) or a quick trip to the thicket areas just before you go into a wooded spot you could see 12foot tall wild lettuce thoes are really cool and very bitter I can only have one nibble cause it is soo bitter .....before it grows tall and flowers you can find the leaves these are less bitter but still much more bitter than ice burg lettuce ;)

extracts are great but in the summer I love eating a bit of this as food why not its much more healthy then well some of the store bought alterntives ;) and can be free as long as you know what to look for ;)
  • wharfrat likes this

#14 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hey Wharf,

I'm bumping this thread not so much for the wild lettuce. I tried this as a kid with no noticeable effects (recreational). I was wondering how you are with the chronic pain? Any better? If you don't mind me asking, what's it stemming from? Back pain, migraine, etc?

I hope it's passed or is passing. I know how badly 24/7 pain can effect our outlook on life.

Metta
-ChimX

Edited by ChimX, 27 March 2017 - 04:51 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#15 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Hey Wharf,

I'm bumping this thread not so much for the wild lettuce. I tried this as a kid with no noticeable effects (recreational). I was wondering how you are with the chronic pain? Any better? If you don't mind me asking, what's it stemming from? Back pain, migraine, etc?

I hope it's passed or is passing. I know how badly 24/7 pain can effect our outlook on life.

Metta
-ChimX

thanks for thinking of me.. i still am dealing with the pain 24/7, it is my ear that hurts.. I have Menieres disease, it is an inner ear issue (vestibular) . I have had my labyrinth removed do to debilitating vertigo and drop attacks. Unfortunately the pressure that causes the vertigo also causes bad pain. So far the only thing that helps is Ibuprofen and lots of it, i currently take 2400mg daily. The wild lettuce didn't even touch it. I have tried several diff anti-inflammatory meds, mostly herbal, like tumeric, kratom etc. with no luck. I have also tried some naturopathic remedies like injections, ozone, acupuncture. i haven't tried hyperbaric oxygen yet but i really dont think that will help and the cost is ridiculous.. The regular drs just try and put me on migraine meds that dont work, so im kinda at my whits end. Just take it one day at a time. I believe if we could find the root cause of the inflammation then i would get on the right track to a cure or at least a med that wont destroy my liver

• ChimX likes this

#16 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

I've been thinking of growing this stuff too, well it's a declared weed here lol i was thinking of using it for my insomnia (chronic!) Does any1 have any info/experience?

#17 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

I've been thinking of growing this stuff too, well it's a declared weed here lol i was thinking of using it for my insomnia (chronic!) Does any1 have any info/experience?

i found it to have a nice calming effect both smoked and used in a tea, more so in a tea as smoking the leaf itself is kinda harsh on the lungs, although they say it is the dried sap that you wanna smoke. I didn't have sap just the leaf that i purchased. I think it would work good for relaxation, not sure if it is enough for chronic insomnia but it is well worth the try. Please let us know if you do try and the effects.

#18 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

i found it to have a nice calming effect both smoked and used in a tea, more so in a tea as smoking the leaf itself is kinda harsh on the lungs, although they say it is the dried sap that you wanna smoke. I didn't have sap just the leaf that i purchased. I think it would work good for relaxation, not sure if it is enough for chronic insomnia but it is well worth the try. Please let us know if you do try and the effects.

OK thanks. Also it's biennial, has any1 got any info on which year it's most potent? I'm guessing the second year when it's in flower.

#19 ChimX

ChimX

Spiritual Forager

• Free Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

Kudos for not turning to opioids. I can only imagine the pain you've been going through. Down here in Brazil they only prescribe real pain killers for terminal cancer patients and there have been moments that I'd have given my left arm for a vicodine. Wisdom teeth, kidney stones, migraines etc.

The anti-inflammatories, they give for pain instead, take a few hour to kick in but really do work wonders. Maybe you can ask your doc. The one I take a lot is Naproxeno. No idea what it's doing to my liver though...

Be well and I hope you can get it fixed or at least find a way to alleviate the pain soon. Keep us posted.

Metta
-ChimX
  • wharfrat likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!